• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to relax a bit in the afternoon, IF we are out by the pool, maybe in the lounge ... but to just hang out in the room drives me crazy!! DH & DD20 are big nappers and love nothing more than to try and weasle a nap into the agenda. My feeling is when paying what we do to go to WDW & stay at the Poly it's a big waste of money to be snoozing in the room at 3:00 in the afternoon! And I'm not a napper, so I find myself pacing and the little ones just wanting to watch tv. Of course I can't take off on my own because the little ones will a) require something at sometime and need a grown up's attention and b) if I take off & the little ones interrupt DH's nappy time because they need something (a snack for example) he will be grumpy - at both them and me! So ... I try to keep everyone busy, even if it's just a dip in the pool to avoid the mid-afternoon "let's just hang out in the room for a while." :crazy2:

Ditto :rolleyes:

DH would take a nap every day in the afternoon. But I can't stand to be in the room too long. But like Maia, I take DD to the pool or we wander the resort or hang in the lobby or CL lounge and let him get his little nappy time in. I call it "siesta time" and we have it every day...we all just siesta a little different :beach:

I like to relax a bit in the afternoon, IF we are out by the pool, maybe in the lounge ... but to just hang out in the room drives me crazy!! DH & DD20 are big nappers and love nothing more than to try and weasle a nap into the agenda. My feeling is when paying what we do to go to WDW & stay at the Poly it's a big waste of money to be snoozing in the room at 3:00 in the afternoon! And I'm not a napper, so I find myself pacing and the little ones just wanting to watch tv. Of course I can't take off on my own because the little ones will a) require something at sometime and need a grown up's attention and b) if I take off & the little ones interrupt DH's nappy time because they need something (a snack for example) he will be grumpy - at both them and me! So ... I try to keep everyone busy, even if it's just a dip in the pool to avoid the mid-afternoon "let's just hang out in the room for a while." :crazy2:

I cannot lay around in the room during the day either while at Disney ! There is to much to do :rotfl: Now maybe on the beach in a hammock watching everything that is going on, now I could do that. But sitting in the room I'm afraid I will miss something :rotfl: I also wake up way to early in the mornings and cant wait to get the day started. If I'm in the room while the others are watching tv or resting, I'm pacing and impatient to get out and do something :thumbsup2

I cannot lay around in the room during the day either while at Disney ! There is to much to do :rotfl: Now maybe on the beach in a hammock watching everything that is going on, now I could do that. But sitting in the room I'm afraid I will miss something :rotfl: I also wake up way to early in the mornings and cant wait to get the day started. If I'm in the room while the others are watching tv or resting, I'm pacing and impatient to get out and do something :thumbsup2

THIS exactly!! Drives me nuts! LOL

:laughing: I hear you all on the napping!! My DH would be happy with a nap everyday at WDW. And the kids are thrilled to sit in the room and watch TV - we don't have cable at home. So when I said I enjoy spending a lot of time at the resort, I do! But not laying around in the room. I need to be doing or seeing something!! :yay: They drive me nuts with the napping and TV!! :faint:

When we go on extended trips (9 nights+) I don't mind taking a nap during the day. When we are there for shorter times, no way. There's just too much to do!

I do think it is doable.

Look at it this way, your dh wants to stay at the Poly, your next trip your youngest will be over 3 & you would need 2 rooms to stay there so why not do it now.

It is only a week & you will survive.

We are a family of 5 & have only gone once as a family of 5 but have been elsewhere, heck a 15 in car ride with my 3 kids is far worse then a week in Disney in one hotel room.

We are only in our room in the am-I bring breakfast so as dh & I are taking turns showering the kids are slowly waking, getting dressed, eating & then I slather then with sunscreen (bonus next year my 2 oldest & hopefully my youngest will do that vs me).

We do go back for a mid day break since I prefer to go in the summer & it is a quick boat or monorail ride back (or the dreaded bus but even that mid day isn't bad). I usually do laundry then. One year we had a bottom floor room & that was when we only had 1 kid. DH & I took turns leaving while the other sat outside. But the last 2 times we went we had a 2nd or 3rd floor so I had to use the 'front door'. No one woke up. They were so passed out.

Even at night when we returned from the park. My kids would be passed out asleep with the lights ON.

So yes I think it will work, we don't do CL because it isn't worth it for us to spend that money on food when we can do it cheaper shipping. And like I said, your youngest still doesn't count so you only need one room.

Thank you! :thumbsup2 The fact that she might be 3 the next time we go does factor into this being THE Poly trip. 2 rooms at the Poly means half the length of the stay for us. Since we fly from Texas, we'd like to stay as long as possible when we do go.

Pretty sure we are going to try Poly, unless finances dictate otherwise. :cool1: Yay Poly!

Actually, I DO have something to say. A question, really, based on a discussion Guitarob and I had earlier today.

Do you take time to just relax when on vacation at WDW? Hanging out at the pool is one thing (and we do it every day) - but if I'm super tired, I feel like taking time to do nothing but relax and not spend time at a park is wasting time AND money, frankly.

Rob on the other hand feels that we're paying mostly for the resort anyway, and the level of comfort and service we receive there, so even if we were to spend an entire day just relaxing there it would be time well spent.

What say you, fellow Poly lovers?

if it was just the husband and i we would be spending more relaxing time but with a 10 yr old who is all about how many times she can ride certain rides, and very active 4 yr old twins ..this is not going to be a relaxing vacation :rotfl: it will be fantastic but I will probably need a vacation to recover after
:rotfl:

Actually, I DO have something to say. A question, really, based on a discussion Guitarob and I had earlier today.

Do you take time to just relax when on vacation at WDW? Hanging out at the pool is one thing (and we do it every day) - but if I'm super tired, I feel like taking time to do nothing but relax and not spend time at a park is wasting time AND money, frankly.

Rob on the other hand feels that we're paying mostly for the resort anyway, and the level of comfort and service we receive there, so even if we were to spend an entire day just relaxing there it would be time well spent.

When DH and I used to go before kids, we were park commandos and stayed in values and were in the parks from open to close.

The first two times we took our girls, we did pretty much the same thing, and were amazed they could keep up with us, but BOY!! Did we feel like we needed a vacation from vacation afterwards or what!?!?!

This past trip (in July), we had our longest stay at 11 days and were at WL. It was so.amazingly.relaxing!! :cloud9: Because of the length of the trip, we did not feel rushed to get everything done all at once. We even spent 2 whole days just bumming around the resort, not doing the parks at all. We even took a NAP!!! And our girls were completely fine with that. We decided that 11 days is the perfect trip length for us and we can actually come back feeling relaxed and rested. So, we are doing it again in April. The only thing different is that we are incorporating a split stay, but with Poly CL on the last half of the trip, I see alot of great relaxation in our future... :lovestruc

I'm still wishy-washy over the whole online check in thing... I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't know why. I just like doing what I know I guess. That, and I'm not hearing any overly convincing arguments for it either.

I would second your thought process Rob, I've heard way too many stories of online check-ins being redirected to GCH. Frankly, not to be a snob or anything, but I would decline that check-in process and wait my turn in Hawaii. :thumbsup2 You always have the lounge to hang out and wait with a nice cup of juice. :stir:

As folks who have done the Polynesian CL since the early 90s, I have to say we do both. We are up and at 'em for rope drop, have a tendency to do a full lunch in one park or another, and head back to relax at the Polynesian for the afternoon.

When we get back we hang out at the quiet pool and when the mood strikes, move on to our room for a shower and down to the lounge for nibbles.

Sometimes we will head back to the parks for a show (usually Illuminations), but if the weather isn't cooperative or we aren't feeling the love, we will walk around the property--maybe monorail to the GF or Contemporary, and return by Wishes. Rarely will we venture to MK for the parade and fireworks, but we have been know to get a wild burr and head that way on occasion.

Once in a great while we will do dinner ('Ohana on occasion, but more often an EPCOT location) and wander back. In the good old days we would head to Pleasure Island for the Adventurer's Club and Comedy Club, but still back before midnight.

That is how we toured--always up early and usually in bed by 11:00 p.m. I am enjoying hearing from others and their touring plans. Not that I would change how we tour--we are creatures of habit--but, enjoying nonetheless.

Good question TheNewMrs.B. :worship:

Sorry... I have to get this off of my chest:

SINGLE DIGITS!!!!!!!!!
:cool1::dance3::cheer2::banana::rotfl2:

In just 9 short days we'll be back at the Poly!!! I can. not. wait!!!!

just wanted to say THANKS to guitarob as all your posts and info helped me make my decision to stay at the poly once again for our pre cruise stay , also managed to book a cabana rental for our arrival day, just the half day though as we wont arrive to the poly till around 1130 so booked the afternoon. Never evn thought about a cabana rental till reading this thread, so looking forward to just a relaxing day for once! Hope the weather is good and we actually get use of the pool and cabana, we stayed at the poly Jan. 2011pre cruise as well but it was to cold to swim, keeping my fingers crossed for march 7 th 2013! Also got my dining reservations booked this morning, ohana s , 1900 park fare, liberty tree tavern and kona all at the times I requested! Cruise is on the 9th so its only a short stay onsite but a short stay is better then none! thanks again guitarob as you made my planning sooooo much easier as I really was having a hard time decieding where to stay this time!:thumbsup2:confused3:cool1:

oh forgot to mention lucky you on your soon to be stay and look forward to reading another trip report from you!:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter