All about the Autotrain

Wi-Fi is only at the stations still, correct?

I know they've added some more trains, but not this one, right?

There was wifi in the lounge car in April. It really wasn't that great/fast. I was in the lounge before breakfast was served and there weren't a lot of people in There at the time.

We are currently scheduled for coach for our first trip on the auto train. DH is getting nervous about not sleeping. When is the best time to check to see if any upgrades are available to purchase ...at the station or on board? Currently, the price of 2 roomettes is $700 more then what we paid.

We are currently scheduled for coach for our first trip on the auto train. DH is getting nervous about not sleeping. When is the best time to check to see if any upgrades are available to purchase ...at the station or on board? Currently, the price of 2 roomettes is $700 more then what we paid. ��

We did it at the station but the roomettes weren't priced any cheaper than the current rate online.

Exactly what Poison Ivy said :-)wave2:).
One time we booked coach, decided to check to see if any roomettes were available at the station, there were - at the cost of $776 each!!:confused:
I said "REALLY", station attendant said yes, there are 3 left, and I can guarantee they will be gone by the time the train leaves. I checked back
just before boarding and he said that all were indeed gone.
It is all supply and demand. The least expensive that the roomettes are, currently, is $138 each way. After that first allotment is gone, the price goes up, and goes up. I have seen family rooms going for as much as $1,016 each.

We are taking the autotrain in September. How early can you check in? I've been reading about those who check-in and then leave for lunch and come back and check the car.

What time can you check in? We are going in September and I like the idea of coming and checking in then getting lunch.

If all of the cars from the arriving train that morning are gone, normal check in time begins at 11:00am. Otherwise, check in will begin once the arriving train vehicles are disbursed.

Thanks everyone, How easy is it to get to glorydays for a quick lunch prior to checking the car? seems close enough.

Glory Days is close, but yuck. Our local one closed due to lack of business. It declined steadily because it just wasn't very good. We usually pack a lunch or stop and pick up a sub at a grocery store or sub shop and just eat in the station while we wait. I always bring snacks anyway, so it's just one more thing to pack. A lot of people do check in and then leave the station. If you're willing to drive a couple of exits there are a lot more choices. Just remember to be back before they close the gates at 3.

Okay, everyone has to watch this Amtrak video. It came up on an AT search, but still... She honestly thinks the bed is being help up by duct tape. Seriously?:lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHNIJ7PmUkw

I'm baffled as to why they tried to call Amtrak and didn't just find their attendant or one of the crew who is usually up. Of course waiting til 1 am to even do anything is insane. It's a family bedroom, I'm sure a small child has peed on the bed at some point. The whole complaining and paint and carpet thing though is really stupid.

Okay, everyone has to watch this Amtrak video. It came up on an AT search, but still... She honestly thinks the bed is being help up by duct tape. Seriously?:lmao:

I'm baffled as to why they tried to call Amtrak and didn't just find their attendant or one of the crew who is usually up. Of course waiting til 1 am to even do anything is insane. It's a family bedroom, I'm sure a small child has peed on the bed at some point. The whole complaining and paint and carpet thing though is really stupid.

I am also baffled as to why they tried to contact AMTRAK offices when a car attendant should have been only about 10 feet away. You have to agree that the condition of that family room is very bad. I have only used Auto Train for overnight train travel and have never seen anything that bad. AMTRAK cleaning staff should also be aware that if families are traveling in those sleeping quarters, that accidents happen with little ones and they should pay particular attention to see that those rooms are actually "clean".

I am also baffled as to why they tried to contact AMTRAK offices when a car attendant should have been only about 10 feet away. You have to agree that the condition of that family room is very bad. I have only used Auto Train for overnight train travel and have never seen anything that bad. AMTRAK cleaning staff should also be aware that if families are traveling in those sleeping quarters, that accidents happen with little ones and they should pay particular attention to see that those rooms are actually "clean".

It definitely needed some cosmetic work and cleaning but the duct tape wasn't there to keep the bed from collapsing. The not using the uppers because she was afraid the duct tape wasn't strong enough made me laugh.

What time can you check in? We are going in September and I like the idea of coming and checking in then getting lunch.

When we went, we got to lorton at about 11:20. Dh parked, cars were still off loading. We went in And checked in for dinner then we left drove around and came back and waited in the car line.

On our return the train was late which meant lunch at DtD (we were at the beach for the week) so when we got there the line was really long as cars were still coming off. I walked up and checked us in and we waited for the car check in to start.

Yea, I don't know why it would come up on AT? But, I know the trains out west are this bad going to Chi.
I was considering taking train out west until I learned from my BFF, her experience.

This video shows me what she is referring to.

I can't imagine why they were calling Amtrack, unless the room steward has no resolution for them. I know I wouldn't want to pay $1000 for that room. But our experience on AT has been tops. The breakfast was only a cereal type last trip, and dinner is not the huge steak it once was....but if they still have the wine and cheese, I won't care.

Oops, edited to add I just read the post with a letter of no more wine, so I whine...maybe my AT days for the fun are wayward ones. Guess it's fly or suck up and drive. Not just due to no wine, but the cost just doesn't have a savings and we had the wonderful adventure a few times.

Yea, I don't know why it would come up on AT? But, I know the trains out west are this bad going to Chi. I was considering taking train out west until I learned from my BFF, her experience. This video shows me what she is referring to. I can't imagine why they were calling Amtrack, unless the room steward has no resolution for them. I know I wouldn't want to pay $1000 for that room. But our experience on AT has been tops. The breakfast was only a cereal type last trip, and dinner is not the huge steak it once was....but if they still have the wine and cheese, I won't care. Oops, edited to add I just read the post with a letter of no more wine, so I whine...maybe my AT days for the fun are wayward ones. Guess it's fly or suck up and drive. Not just due to no wine, but the cost just doesn't have a savings and we had the wonderful adventure a few times.
Alas, there is no more wine and cheese. However, instead uttering a whine, you can bring your own wine! We brought a cooler full of drinks and snacks and did not feel like we missed out. Even though there have been changes, we feel that it is still a worthwhile experience. We rode the AT on 7/3/14 and 7/12/14 and thoroughly enjoyed both train rides!

Alas, there is no more wine and cheese. However, instead uttering a whine, you can bring your own wine! We brought a cooler full of drinks and snacks and did not feel like we missed out. Even though there have been changes, we feel that it is still a worthwhile experience. We rode the AT on 7/3/14 and 7/12/14 and thoroughly enjoyed both train rides!

I've always brought my own wine and snacks whether we are in a sleeper or not. We bring high protein snacks because the breakfast is all carbs and won't hold us that long. For the wine, I buy the small plastic bottles of Sutter Home (not the greatest, but easy to carry) and bring snacks that don't need refrigeration like high protein bars, pb & cheese crackers, etc. The Sutter Home wine is the same that they sell in the lounge car, but a lot cheaper to bring from home. We'll be in a roomette round trip in Feb.

Yea, I don't know why it would come up on AT? But, I know the trains out west are this bad going to Chi.
I was considering taking train out west until I learned from my BFF, her experience.

This video shows me what she is referring to.

I can't imagine why they were calling Amtrack, unless the room steward has no resolution for them. I know I wouldn't want to pay $1000 for that room. But our experience on AT has been tops. The breakfast was only a cereal type last trip, and dinner is not the huge steak it once was....but if they still have the wine and cheese, I won't care.

Oops, edited to add I just read the post with a letter of no more wine, so I whine...maybe my AT days for the fun are wayward ones. Guess it's fly or suck up and drive. Not just due to no wine, but the cost just doesn't have a savings and we had the wonderful adventure a few times.

As I said above, what got me was that she thought the upper was being held up by the duct tape. No honey, the duct tape is simply holding the carpeting on. The scraped paint is just from use, both are cosmetic, but we always take Amtrak on the east coast and things like that just wouldn't bother me. Not once did she mention talking to anyone, just trying to call Amtrak about her issues, which wouldn't help her. If she got through, they would tell her to talk to her room attendant or another employee onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter