Alcohol Tasting Events on board

revdon64

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done any of the one hour alcohol tasting events on board the ship? Which ones? What are your thoughts? Was it worth the price?
I'm considering the whiskey tasting, but it would just be me (too late for wife and adult daughter). Thanks for your input.

Wife and I did the wine tasting recently and felt it was worth the price and a lot of fun. The tastings were more than a splash in each glass. I would not recommend doing them back2back or you won't find your stateroom. Cheers!

We've done quite a number of tastings in our various sailings. Most are very enjoyable and worth the money. They are very social events so going solo wouldn't be an issue. We usually end up talking to the people seated around us.

They are fun! My husband and I have 2 favorites.... champagne tasting while seated at a porthole window during Tracy Arm Day in Alaska.. and Mojito Tasting on Castaway Cay.

We've done the mixology and mojito ones and enjoyed both. During our mojito one I was talking to another passenger who has done just about every one they offer. He was telling me about some of them. He said he did the whiskey one several years ago. He said there were only a couple of people who were doing it so the bartender gave them some really expensive ones to try. I don't drink whiskey, so I didn't know any of the ones he mentioned. But he said it was the best tasting he's done.

Over the years we've done almost all of them except Whiskey I think.....oh and I don't think we've done tequila (yet). We've done Mixology the most (almost every cruise), wine twice and all the rest once. My fave I think was liquor and chocolate and I would definitely repeat that one for sure.

We have done a few, always a good time.
Italian drinks(don't know official name in 2014) on Fantasy
Champagne & Mixology on The Magic.

Are there tastings that you can sign up for after you get onboard? All of the preregistration tastings are sold out for our cruise

Are there tastings that you can sign up for after you get onboard? All of the preregistration tastings are sold out for our cruise

There will be a place to meet listed in The Navigator, so you can try and book after boarding.

We really enjoyed the tequila & margarita tasting. Fun group and the host was funny. We also did a rum tasting, which was also good but a more subdued crowd. My husband now wants to sign up for every tasting, every cruise! You get a really good amount of alcohol for the price and we learned a lot. Highly recommend.

We have done the following:
Champagne on Fantasy (fantastic)
Mixology on Fantasy (lots of fun)
Rum on Magic (informative)
Whiskey on Magic ( My dad and husband did it; they liked it but it wasn't their favorite)
Liquor and Chocolate on Magic (wonderful)
Tequila and margarita on Magic (this one was my favorite - of course it was also the one where I had to take a nap afterwards :) ).

I’ve done the wine tasting several times, martinis, mixology and I think tequila. All worth it to me. Good explanation of what you’re drinking and fun to meet other people.

How fast do these typically book up? Curious as a first time time cruiser who has last pick. Just want to manage my expectations of getting any of these tastings that I would like to do.

Has anyone done any of the one hour alcohol tasting events on board the ship? Which ones? What are your thoughts? Was it worth the price?
I'm considering the whiskey tasting, but it would just be me (too late for wife and adult daughter). Thanks for your input.

I've done most of the tastings available (except liquor and chocolate) throughout the cruises we've done... many of them several times.
They're all fun - but it depends a lot on who is doing the presentation. Some crew members/bartenders are better/more fun than others. Some are downright grouchy or don't seem to care.
imo, the only one NOT worth taking is the beer one, as the variety they have onboard is limited and the ones they have aren't that great. But if you're a beer fan, go for it.
Also if you go, do it with a full stomach as some tastings you can get smashed real quick.

My understanding is that Disney holds some reservations out for some events to be booked on board. Try guest services as soon as you board to see if what you want is available.

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to give the whiskey tasting on the first night of my five night cruise a try. Appreciate all the feedback.

I’ve done multiple mixology classes, a martini tasting, mojito tasting, and DH did the whiskey tasting. Mixology is the best imo, esp if the bartender teaching the class is a good one. We’ve had an only so-so one but it’s still a cheap way to drink😉 The only one I’d never do again is the mojito, and I love mojitos. It was a lackluster experience and the drinks were shoved at us every 3 minutes. All but the caipirinha were the same drink base and the bartender poured a different flavored fruit purée in it to make a mango mojito, raspberry mojito etc.

DH did the whiskey tasting with a friend and they came out after an hour walking sideways. Full disclosure, we had done mixology at 3pm that same day, and it was the most fun bartender we’d ever had at mixology. We tipped him rather well after mixology and he suggested that the guys come back and take the whiskey class with him that night. There were only a handful of people there for that tasting and the pours were apparently enormous.

My understanding is that Disney holds some reservations out for some events to be booked on board. Try guest services as soon as you board to see if what you want is available.

Check on your navigator when you get to port. When we were on the Fantasy, the sign-up was at one of the bars. Also, they were signing people up somewhere else (maybe it was Guest services) but when we first arrived there were spots available and as they were adding rooms, the spots were simultaneously disappearing. It was very aggravating. But three of us still got to go to mixology, which was one of my favorite things on the cruise.

How fast do these typically book up? Curious as a first time time cruiser who has last pick. Just want to manage my expectations of getting any of these tastings that I would like to do.

I think it really depends on the cruise you're doing and how many silver/gold/platinum cruisers there are. For our long cruise, most first-timers posted that they really couldn't get any tastings in advance. However, I was at the lounge where you can book these on Day 1 and there were plenty more tastings than were available online for booking. I'm also aware that many people also check at guest services daily, because I went down to cancel a couple of tastings later in the cruise and was told that several people ask every day about cancellations.

Yes this ^
We've always been able to book tastings on board on embarkation day. And sometimes if you show up right before the tasting you can slide in if there are no-shows.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter