AKL Standard Room Question

Dixiemom

DIS Veteran
Considering a standard room at AKL in June. We have previously stayed at Pop and CSR. This will be our first deluxe stay. Looking at the map it looks like the standard rooms are pretty far away from the main building and pool. If this is indeed the case, can you recommend a standard building that is the closest? Have to say I really hate having to walk forever to refill those mugs......

Also looking at WL, but my 8 yo DD LOVES animals. I am hoping staying at AKL would keep us from having to go to AK.......although with park hoppers I may be able to take her for a bit.

All rooms are in the same building, so your walk will be air-conditioned or free of rain. We stayed CL a few years ago and STILL had a far walk to the pool and bus stop.

We booked a standard room at AKL when we stayed there, but were upgraded to a Savannah view at check in. Hopefully you will have the same great luck. Honestly I did my reseach before we checking in and as the previous posted said standard rooms are not all the bad location wise. IF you haven't done so already, I would put a room request on your reservation now. Just tell them that you would like a good close to the lobby elevators, preferably garaiffe trail if available.

Thanks! Is the giraffe trail considered standard? Yes, I have read about a lot of people getting upgraded at check-in. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the case, but if not, it'll be fine.

Thanks! Is the giraffe trail considered standard? Yes, I have read about a lot of people getting upgraded at check-in. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the case, but if not, it'll be fine.

Yes I believe so b/c if you look at the resort map, there are rooms that overlook the front of the resort in that section.

We are in the process of deciding where to stay for out August trip and AKL is on the list. We absolutely loved this resort as I am sure you will too!

Our standard-view room at AKL was of red rooftops but was right off the lobby.

We will never stay at AKL again unless it is in a savannah room though.
AKL and WL rooms are the same size/layout and the smallest of the deluxes and not much larger than the moderates IMO.

We felt we got more for our $$ at WL, especially the boat option to MK. We also prefer the "woodsy" grounds and atmosphere at WL.

Also, please do not expect a "free upgrade". We went in off-season and still did not receive one. My advice is to book the view you really want.

Standard rooms at AKL are fine, you can still see the animals from the viewing points. They aren't that long of a walk to places. I see you stayed at CSR....depending on where your room was, that IS a long walk! Be sure to check out all the free extra activities they have for kids....our kids loved that. If you go out to the viewing area, there is always a CM there to answer questions or just talk about the animals with you. You will love AKL, it is my fav resort. Have fun!

There's really no bad section of that hotel! It's all connected as others have said!

The Giraffe Trail is actually quite nice because there is a "secret" door about halfway between the bus stops and the lobby entrance. It can save you a good number of steps in the heat/rain/wind/cold! It's up 3 stairs or so

I don't think a stay at AKL will substitute a visit to the park at all. There is so much to do there.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to stay within a certain budget and AKL looks beautiful. WL would stretch the budget a bit further, still tossing the idea around. My daughter is the only AK fan. Last time we did not have park hoppers and I felt it was a waste of a park day. She doesn't want to do any rides, just see animals. At least with the hopper we can pop in for a while and not devote the whole day.

i hope you have a wonderful stay there. we loved it!

we had a pool view room. we were very close (down a side stairwell to the outside) to the mara and it was a very quick trip to fill our mugs. a pool view is only a few dollars more per night. if mug refills are important, a pool view room might be a pretty good guarantee to be close by.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to stay within a certain budget and AKL looks beautiful. WL would stretch the budget a bit further, still tossing the idea around. My daughter is the only AK fan. Last time we did not have park hoppers and I felt it was a waste of a park day. She doesn't want to do any rides, just see animals. At least with the hopper we can pop in for a while and not devote the whole day.

There are 2 wonderful shows there, The Safari where she can see lots of animals, the bird show, Flights of wonder, 2 trails with lots of animals, birds, etc. and Rafikis Train that takes you thru the back areas of AK, to a building that has a petting area, and inside its sort of a vet centre where you can hear about how they care for the animals. And walking around there are CMs around, some walking around with small animal, bird or whatever. We usually go to AK twice during a visit, we find lots to do and see.

Thanks Sue. She loved the Kilimanjaro Safari, did it twice in fact. She would enjoy the petting area, but aside from that the rest of our party would be very bored. She liked the river rapids but for the very long line it wasn't worth it to me. AK is just not an all day park for us. I am really looking forward to staying at AKL though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter