• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

akl first timer any advice

tergolf

Earning My Ears
taking family of 6 in april 08 staying at akl would love some insight to make trip extra extra special for little ones (ages 9,7,6,5) any advice would be great:

what kind of room arrangements do you have? Family of 6 (which we are) is hard to get accomadations for outside deluxes. did you get a suite? would love to hear about it. would love to stay at akl is why!

You will love the AKL; advice? slow down...take the time to enjoy the resort. Check out all the viewing areas; make friends with the CM's in safari outfits who will definitely inform you about the animals. Ask for the night-vision goggles to see out on the savanna at night. Have your children take part in the storytelling by the firepit. By all means, eat at Jiko, and Boma--you will smell the aromas long before you get to those restaurants--the aroma wafts through the lobby--it's heavenly. Do yourself a favor, and have a pina colada at the pool. Best drink I've ever had! The pool is zero depth entry; at times you can see giraffes in the distance. The Mara is a great place for quick breakfasts, or pooltime lunches. There are lockers outside near the pool for your things. Drink in the atmosphere of the place; you will feel like you've arrived in Africa. Have a wonderful trip.:cool2:

Set aside time (maybe a whole day) for the kids to participate the lodge activities. The schedule is posted near the check-in area. Kids can earn a bead for completing certain activities.

Also, the kids might enjoy using night vision goggles to watch the animals at night.

Have a great time!!!

We stayed at AKL with a 7 year old last year. First of all, it is a very magical place. The moment you pull up, you can smell the fire pit burning, see the smiling faces and feel transported into the magic of Disney. :cloud9:

They do story telling and of course have the animals everywhere. Honestly you can see animals from almost every window in the lobby. That will keep them ohhhhh and ahhhhing for hours!

The pool is the largest at Disney to my knowledge. It is zero entry and they have a water slide. I went down the slide a few times and it was fun for kids of all ages :woohoo:

We had a bunk bed room with a Queen Bed...you may need more than one room with your large crowd although the may have suites big enough, I am not sure. Overall, the kids and the parents will have a great time. Enjoy your stay, any questions, let me know and I will try and help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter