Airplane mask fail

Yeah, they are all over the place - on the trip to Las Vegas, not a peep about masking (although most everyone complied)...on the trip back, we got a 10 minute speech before takeoff and a "if you can't follow these rules, please leave the plane now". I think Southwest is really crew-dependent on this point, since both were Saturday flights...
Very much crew dependent. Which is why people shouldn’t bank in having found a way around the mask requirement. It was just on the local news that a mom and her child were taken off a plane because the child wouldn’t wear a mask and the mom admitted to knowing the kid wouldn’t wear one but she thought if she gave her a sucker so she was “eating” she wouldn’t have to wear one.

As funny how the best made plans can blow up with a 2 year old. We practiced and practiced with the mask. He didn't seem to mine it the car or at home. No issues at all wearing his mask.

That was until we stepped on the plane. He gave us this look that said no and don't even try. But he was scared so I guess it's understandable. Couldn't practice on the plane.

Somehow, I'm not sure how we made it to Disney. No issues with the mask on the bus or on the skyliner. We depart on Wednesday so wish us luck on the return flight. I really don't want to have the flight attendants turn a blind eye. It's just not possible to force them to wear something they don't want on and sit still enough on a plane.

because they aren’t old enough to understand and shouldn’t be wearing them to begin with. So sorry to hear that!

Will be flying in a couple weeks with our 2.5 year old. We've been very diligent about mask use this entire pandemic (which at this point has been half his life!) so I'm hopeful he'll be okay. When we talk about going on a plane the first thing he says is "you have to wear a mask at all times." But I totally understand preparation vs. reality with a 2 year old is very different. Fingers crossed!

Pre-school teacher here :)
A tip (which may or may not work!) is to give your child a “false choice” so they believe they have some control.

“Do you want to stand on your tippy toes while I put your mask on or sit down while I put your mask on?”

“Do you want to smile while I put your mask on or make a silly face while I put your mask on?”

“Do you want to put your mask on before I put mine on or after I put mine on?”

“Do you want me to color this heart red or pink after I put your mask on?”

“Do you want Dad to oink like a pig or moo like a cow after we put our masks on?”

The sillier the better as it serves as an entertaining distraction.

Good luck! I know it’s so hard to get them to wear it when they just don’t want to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter