Air Canada and Westjet- Out of Pearson

BOTL76

Mouseketeer
Hello Disney Fans,

Not to rush through 2019, but my family and extended family are planning a big trip to Disney World...but not until first or second week of December 2019. So our planning has begun LOL!

My own family has many times flown out of Buffalo as even with the exchange rate and the drive down to Buffalo it has made more sense time wise and money wise for us to fly from there (usually Jet Blue or Southwest).

With that all of our decision makers in our extended family have decided it is best to fly out of Pearson for a number of reasons that make sense for us all.

Outside of checking the daily rates on Air Canada and Westjet (which we have started off great doing so far in the new year but we know life gets in the way and we might forget a few days, with our luck probably the day the seat sales start!), I am hoping you can direct me to previous threads or new information on how best to track Air Canada and Westjet flights out of Pearson?

Also what would be a fair price range to select an AC/WJ flight from Pearson to MCO? In talking with a few friends they said if you can find something $450 round trip all in per person, that would be a decent deal, with finding something $400 or under round trip all in, those prices might be harder to come by.

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Also what would be a fair price range to select an AC/WJ flight from Pearson to MCO? In talking with a few friends they said if you can find something $450 round trip all in per person, that would be a decent deal, with finding something $400 or under round trip all in
approx $350-$380 return all in including taxes would be average to good. If you are flexible with your departure time eg early morning, you should find somewhat better.

I usually check AC first and WJ price positions closely.

No doubt you know that AC flights to MCO are Air Rouge. If family over 5'8, def consider the extra price seats in the emergency exit row for more leg room.

I don't do seat selection until exactly 24 hrs prior at check-in. I usually get an aisle seat then at no extra charge but I'm one person. If sitting together is a priority and some need aisle seats, consider paying the advance seat selection fee. Note: think there has been recent legislation that children get to sit with parent for no additional seat selection fee. Maybe check that out before booking. Good luck with your search!

Edited to add: just reread your Dec flight dates. Your flights may indeed be more $ and at the $400 range given the Holiday Season.

Last edited:
Those prices should be out now. Why not check and see what's available? Watch out for A/Cs new Basic fare which doesn't even allow you to book a seat. Compare the different fare structures with what you will pay a la carte. For example, if you'll pay $50 more for a Flex ticket and it's $30 for a suitcase and $20 for a seat, why not book Flex?

how best to track Air Canada and Westjet flights out of Pearson?

Many people have reported good success using Google Flights to watch prices for them. I also like to watch the prices myself when I have time.

Also what would be a fair price range to select an AC/WJ flight from Pearson to MCO?

I was watching prices last year at this time (for a Nov.25 - Dec. 2 2018 trip) and the lowest price out of Pearson I saw was $300 return on Air Transat. I also saw Westjet for $325 sometime in the spring after I had booked. I ended up booking out of Hamilton for $390 return on Westjet. That flight then got moved to Pearson when Swoop was brought into Hamilton to service Orlando.

Just took a quick peek at prices in early December. Air Transat is $335 return all in from Dec. 6 or 7 to Dec. 13 or 14 for example. I know you specifically said Westjet or AC so this may not apply to you.

At the end of the day I would feel good about any price under $400 and really good about anything under $350.

Good luck hunting!

thank you for the replies everyone so far!

Etch, just curious if you can share your experience with Air Transat? We have never flown them before so any comparison with them to AC/WJ would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I have flown Air Transat, and it was fine, but it’s been a while. There may be some on here who have flown more recently who could share.

I’ve seen mixed reviews on them to be honest. The only for sure thing is that there are way less flights to Orlando then AC or WJ. Which means they typically would have less options if something was to go wrong with your scheduled flight.

Just remember, as you're watching Google Flights or Hopper or any app that it's reporting the lowest price each day, which may not be a flight that interests you. It's often the 5am flight or the 23:22 flight that's cheapest or the one that makes a stop or plane change at least once or the Basic fares that have nothing, not even a seat selection option. If you're good with that, it's fine, but if you have limits, just be aware that the flight the app said was low, may not suit your needs.

with Air Transat?
Many years ago but mixed experience. The old adage you get what you pay for applies. Air Transat is often part of a package holiday and with luck all will work out. The last time I flew air Transat was a week after 911 and the flight crew was hostile and extremely on edge. Not surprising and understandable given the times. But still alienating for passengers. Once and done for me.

I flew Air Transat to Paris/back from Rome last year. We were happy enough - no delays, changes, rudeness, etc. There weren’t any headrest screens on the first flight, but it was overnight, so I really didn’t care. Had individual screens on the way home.

We flew Air Transat in July to London. Our flight was delayed three hours and we were never told why or what kind of delay we were facing. This was a flight out of Toronto at 10pm. We were finally given $25 food vouchers, but by then the only place open was a Tim Horton’s that had nothing left. We finally flew out at 2am. I wasn’t impressed.

Flew Air Transat to London in September (and have before) without issue. They will often be cheaper but many of their flights charter, they have fewer planes to fallback on when a serious mechanic delay occurs. Still I have had the most delays flying with Air Canada. Worst flight(s) were 2 years ago when away on business and flying back one evening and then out to FLA for vacation the next day (staying local to the airport) and 4 of the the 4 flights (all direct into/out of TO via AC) were delayed and this was August (none weather related - 3 mechanical and 1 crew related). This sort of cemented Air Canada as the worst IMO for delays as spent more time delayed than flying and no amount of food vouchers, on-board meal credits or future flight discounts had me feel better about choosing them.

Here’s my two cents about Air Transat. I never flew with them but many family members did in the past. A few years ago my FIL and his wife were the last flight to land at YUL because of a huge snowstorm in March. It took them forever to get out of the plane (were not able to get to a gate) and it took AT 2 days to make the luggage available for pickup or delivery. I wasn’t impressed but YUL rarely closes so it was a really big snowstorm.

Strike two (and three) was 3 years ago when my MIL lost her husband of a heart attack in Mexico. While the AT representative there was amazing according to my MIL, AT charged her an insane amount to fly back asap because she didn’t want to stay alone in Mexico while grieving and waiting for the body to be flown back to Canada. I was really pissed at AT after that and vowed to never use them. Until last October when my godmother and my uncle lost my 32 yo cousin in a drowning accident while hunting up north (they were on their way on an AT flight to Punta Cana when it happens). This time they were really humane and did everything they could to fly them back the next day to Qc city, for free. There was no direct flight that day from AT so they flew them to Toronto then Montreal and finally to Qc city. Apparently AT made sure they had a private space to grieve at Pearson and YUL and even helped them go through customs at Pearson quickly. That tragic event kind of changed my mind a little about AT and I might now consider them if their price is right.

As for delays, my worst ones were with Allegiant, twice. Once it was 4h late at Clearwater in July. The second time was a 6h delay in Ft Lauderdale for a mechanical issue. DH travels a lot and he had delays with Air Canada, West Jet, Delta, etc. so no company is immune to delays.

I flew Air Transat with the 4 kids Toronto to Calgary solo to Stampede last Summer originally my booking was a 5-530 flight and it kept getting pushed back and back and back until it ended up being a 9pm flight..
Then of course weather delays not their fault of course but we didn’t end up landing in a totally strange city until after all car rental places had closed etc etc. It was not a good experience an hour time change ok but it was a 5 hour difference from when I booked till vacation..
One way the kids club have kids snacks and playing cards other way it did not . Don’t believe there were even TVs on either flight
It was just miserable not sure I’d ever travel again unless significantly lower priced and then I’d be cautious

We flew AT in November and had no problems. There were 5 of us we got to sit across from each other and the cabin crew were professional.
The flight was delayed by 10 minutes due to deicing, seats were standard but comfortable, all in all we would fly with them again.

With so much lead time look at all possibilites. Swoop out of Hamilton. By then they would have been in operatiin for 2 years and hopefully have kinks out.
Also sunwing depending on your days. All the airlines have good and bad. I hate AC/Rouge. But for a 3 hour flight will grin and bear it. Now ive flown AT both Orlando and to Greece. No issues.
Another option since you have time is apply for the Westjet MC a few of the adults. Second companion flight is 99 plus taxes(keep an eye on that). So for 4 of us to fly to LA last summer was 1000.
Lots of options.

Like the poster above recommended, is Swoop out of Hamilton an option for all of you? We have flown Transat in the past but it was summer months, not winter. There were fine with being on time for summer flights for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter