[ADVISORY] WDW - MagicBand-Only Testing Begins at Disney's Pop Century Resort

The Hub

Friend of Roy Disney
As part of our test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, Guests arriving at Disneys Pop Century Resort beginning November 14 will be issued only a MagicBand for use throughout their stay at the Walt Disney World Resort.

• Guests will continue to engage in MyMagic+ testing in the same way that all other resort Guests do.
  • Upon check in, Guests will receive their MagicBands if they did not receive them at home after customizing them in advance using My Disney Experience.
  • Front Desk Cast Members can provide an RF-enabled Key to the World card if a Guest requests it instead of a MagicBand. The RF-enabled Key to the World card functions the same way a MagicBand does at touch points. Guests with RF-enabled Key to the World cards will touch to enter their resort room and theme parks and water parks (with valid theme park admission), touch to pay (optional) and touch to redeem FastPass+ selections

Reactive Guest FAQs:

Why am I only getting a MagicBand and not a Key to the World card?
As part of our test-and-adjust process with MyMagic+, we are conducting a test
where Guests staying at Disneys Pop Century Resort will be issued only a
MagicBand for use throughout their stay.

Is there an option if I dont want to wear a MagicBand?
Yes, you can use an RF-enabled Key to the World card instead. It functions the
same way a MagicBand does at touch points; you will use it to touch to enter
their resort room and theme parks and water parks (with valid theme park
admission), touch to pay (optional) and touch to redeem FastPass+ selections.

How does the MagicBand work?
Radio Frequency (RF) technology inside the band interacts with touch points
located in places such as resort room doors, theme park main entrances,
FastPass+ entrances, payment locations and on mobile devices used by Cast
Members.

What personal information is stored on my MagicBand?
None. MagicBands contain only a randomly assigned code that securely links to
an encrypted database. Extensive measures are in place to protect Guest
information.

What if I lose my MagicBand?
You can disable it yourself via My Disney Experience. You also can report a lost
MagicBand to a Guest Relations or Front Desk Cast Member, and they can
disable it for you.

If I am issued a Key to the World card can I still get FASTPASS tickets
when Im in the park in addition to the FastPass+ selections I make on My
Disney Experience?
No. Because the mag stripes are not active on Key to the World cards issued to
Guests participating in this test., they will not work in FASTPASS machines. By
staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you have the benefit of reserving
access to some of your favorite attractions ahead of time with Disney FastPass+
service.

Can I make FastPass+ selections for more than one park on the same day?
You can make FastPass+ selections for only one park per day for each day of
valid theme park admission.

Update 11/15/13

As the same comments are being posted, I would like to clarify some information.
  • There is no end date.
  • November 19 is just the day the announcement will disappear from our advisory list.
  • Yes, this will roll out to other resorts very soon.
  • This is no longer a testing phase, it is now a test-and-adjust phase and the beginning of a rollout.
  • No, you will not be able to pull paper FastPasses.
  • Other locations that issue a KTTW card will not be able to give you a magnetized KTTW if you are at Disney's Pop Century Resort
  • Annual Passholders will still be able to pull paper FastPasses, in addition to using their FP+ selections

Update 11/19/13
Some more information... please do not continue to post information that has been proven to be false as it can cause miscommunication.
  • As other sources reported that KTTW cards will be issued today and the "one week test" ends today, that is not true.
  • As updated previously, there is no end date.
  • FastPass keycards can only be given out by a Cast Member at FastPass Distribution or a Coordinator/Leader
  • Guest Relations or the Front Desk of your resort will not be able to issue one
  • Guest Relations or the Front Desk would most likely thank you for your feedback and under rare circumstances, issue you one Attraction Re-entry Ticket
  • Pop Century KTTW cards only display your name and no other resort stay information. The magnetic strip is still there, but demagnetized.

Ok, wait, so if this goes the way they started all this, adding a few resort FP+ tests at a time, then subtracting a few resort FP+ tests at a time, this is going to take forever!!!

Eep. I wasn't planning on "double-dipping", but I check-in to POP on December 1st. I'll report back once vacation is over.

As part of our test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, Guests arriving at Disney’s Pop Century Resort beginning November 14 will be issued only a MagicBand for use throughout their stay at the Walt Disney World Resort.

• Guests will continue to engage in MyMagic+ testing in the same way that all other resort Guests do.
  • Upon check in, Guests will receive their MagicBands if they did not receive them at home after customizing them in advance using My Disney Experience.
  • Front Desk Cast Members can provide an RF-enabled Key to the World card if a Guest requests it instead of a MagicBand. The RF-enabled Key to the World card functions the same way a MagicBand does at touch points. Guests with RF-enabled Key to the World cards will touch to enter their resort room and theme parks and water parks (with valid theme park admission), touch to pay (optional) and touch to redeem FastPass+ selections

Reactive Guest FAQs:

Why am I only getting a MagicBand and not a Key to the World card?
As part of our test-and-adjust process with MyMagic+, we are conducting a test
where Guests staying at Disney’s Pop Century Resort will be issued only a
MagicBand for use throughout their stay.

Is there an option if I don’t want to wear a MagicBand?
Yes, you can use an RF-enabled Key to the World card instead. It functions the
same way a MagicBand does at touch points; you will use it to touch to enter
their resort room and theme parks and water parks (with valid theme park
admission), touch to pay (optional) and touch to redeem FastPass+ selections.

How does the MagicBand work?
Radio Frequency (RF) technology inside the band interacts with touch points
located in places such as resort room doors, theme park main entrances,
FastPass+ entrances, payment locations and on mobile devices used by Cast
Members.

What personal information is stored on my MagicBand?
None. MagicBands contain only a randomly assigned code that securely links to
an encrypted database. Extensive measures are in place to protect Guest
information.

What if I lose my MagicBand?
You can disable it yourself via My Disney Experience. You also can report a lost
MagicBand to a Guest Relations or Front Desk Cast Member, and they can
disable it for you.

If I am issued a Key to the World card can I still get FASTPASS tickets
when I’m in the park in addition to the FastPass+ selections I make on My
Disney Experience?
No. Because the mag stripes are not active on Key to the World cards issued to
Guests participating in this test., they will not work in FASTPASS machines. By
staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you have the benefit of reserving
access to some of your favorite attractions ahead of time with Disney FastPass+
service.

Can I make FastPass+ selections for more than one park on the same day?
You can make FastPass+ selections for only one park per day for each day of
valid theme park admission.
Where did you get this information? Are you staying at Pop during this time? Was this sent to you?

Per my & my family's PERSONAL (key word here) way of touring, we hardly ever used FP- anyway, so this probably won't affect us much.

By staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you have the benefit of reserving access to some of your favorite attractions ahead of time with Disney FastPass+ service.

This statement makes me think that off site guests will be able to use the service but just not ahead of time so they would do it when they arrived at the park.

Wow. Glad I just got back and was able to use FP- along with my MB while it lasted. We have a quick trip in Feb planned due to a work conference in Orlando though and we'd planned to stay at Pop as always. I'm curious to see how this roll-out continues because I'd likely switch resorts to dodge the MB-only thing as long as possible.

What was the order of the original Magic Band test rollout and how soon did other resorts begin with their testing??

As long as they start this at AKL AFTER we check in on 12/7 then it's all good. :lmao:

By staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you have the benefit of reserving access to some of your favorite attractions ahead of time with Disney FastPass+ service.

This statement makes me think that off site guests will be able to use the service but just not ahead of time so they would do it when they arrived at the park.

My read is that this states the current situation and was an expansion to the answer of "no, you cant do both."

I'm somewhat confused,I have an AP that expires Jan 3rd,I pay it monthly and will renew it before my Dec 13th visit.I'm staying at Pop Century for the marathon January 10th.I go on the website and it shows I can customize the magic bands up until a month before my trip.I have my APs linked to my reservation and magic bands order.I can't make FP+ reservations for my January trip I'm assuming because by then the pass has expired.I'm confused,am I going to get a magic band with my AP info on it that I can use at the parks and at Pop for my stay.Will the magic band only be for entry to my hotel room and I'll get another RFID card for my AP when I renew it.And if the pass will be linked to my AP can I just keep the magic band as my AP even though I'm getting it for my stay?????

If this advisory is indeed true, I'm pretty upset by it. Just because I'm staying at Pop, I get limited to 3 FP+ selections per day and they have to be in the same park? While other Disney resort guests can get their 3 FP+ selections AND FP- selections in any park they care to hop to in a single day?

And non-Disney resort guests can get more than 3 FP- passes (if they know how to use the system wisely) while I, who is likely paying more money for my room than they are, get none?

Is Disney kidding me?

If this advisory is indeed true, I'm pretty upset by it. Just because I'm staying at Pop, I get limited to 3 FP+ selections per day and they have to be in the same park? While other Disney resort guests can get their 3 FP+ selections AND FP- selections in any park they care to hop to in a single day?

And non-Disney resort guests can get more than 3 FP- passes (if they know how to use the system wisely) while I, who is likely paying more money for my room than they are, get none?

Is Disney kidding me?

Can you change to a different resort last minute? Do they even allow that so close?

Yep, it does sound like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter