Adding people to reservation at check in

Bouncin-Tigger

DVC + DIS = Expensive Habit
My parents are going yo meet us in WDW for a few days and want to add them to reservation. We are on the ddp, can I add them at check in and not have any issue with all people on reservation being on ddp? Are there any issues with adding additional guests to reservations at check in?
My parents will be joing us and I was able to add them to the reservation t the front desk without any charge. CM said as long as it is a point reservation and we do not exceed the room guest capacity there is no charge and I was able to add them to magical express also. Thanks all.

Well, there is an extra charge per night for extra adults; and I don't think you can add them without DDP.

My parents are going yo meet us in WDW for a few days and want to add them to reservation. We are on the ddp, can I add them at check in and not have any issue with all people on reservation being on ddp? Are there any issues with adding additional guests to reservations at check in?

If you are on a DVC reservation, you have to add them at least 48 hours ahead of time to make sure they get the dining plan. You have to pay for the dining plan when you add it.

But if you add them when they arrive, they cannot get the dining plan and there is no extra cost for them on a DVC reservation. You cannot exceed room occupancy. They would not be able to get Magical Express if you add them the day they arrive.

Surely what the OP is asking is not possible. I thought that everybody in the room needed to be on the Dining Plan :confused3 If it was as easy as just waiting until you check in, then adding a couple of people on to the reservation, wouldn't everybody be doing that to get around that rule :confused3 I didn't even realise that the front desk could amend reservations, I thought changes had to be done by MS.

Surely what the OP is asking is not possible. I thought that everybody in the room needed to be on the Dining Plan :confused3 If it was as easy as just waiting until you check in, then adding a couple of people on to the reservation, wouldn't everybody be doing that to get around that rule :confused3 I didn't even realise that the front desk could amend reservations, I thought changes had to be done by MS.

People have posted that they have done this.

People have posted that they have done this.

Any time I have seen this mentioned is when it is a CRO reservation not a DVC. I thought there where some reports about not being able to add people at check in after the new system when on line.

Denise in MI

All we can really tell you is the official line that all guests must be on the reservation, and that all guests on that reservation must be on the same dining plan for the entire length of the reservation.

While there may be exceptions made by the front desk, they are by no means guaranteed, and there have been reports of problems when the front desk amends any DVC reservation, as often it means cancelling and rebooking, resulting in borrowed points and points going into holding status which would need to be straightened out later by Member Services.

Also a reminder that the DVC Boards do not allow discussing work arounds for published DVC policies.

I added an extra person to our room 1 day after check in. The original room occupants were on the dining plan, but the new person could not be added once the reservation started. There was no problem with having the new person added to my room (within occupancy limits), and none of the restaurants has an issue with one person paying cash for meals (extra meal, bar bill and tips added to room card). I don't know if it happens often, but our situation was accommodated.

I have done this both on DVC points and CRO cash reservations. Often my DM joins us for a couple of days during an extended stay-I just go to the front desk and have her added onto the reservation. If it is a cash reservation, the extra adult in room charge has been assessed if she makes the third adult. She was not able to be added onto DDP on the CRO reservations when added after the initial check in. On the two occasions we had DDP on DVC reservations, she was not abe to get DDP so we used the TIW card for her meals OOP.

It is not a work around the policy-it is impossible to add DDP for a person who is added to the reservation once the reservation has been checked in.
In all honesty, I have not added anyone to a DVC reservation since the new system has been in place...it may no longer be possible.

All we can really tell you is the official line that all guests must be on the reservation, and that all guests on that reservation must be on the same dining plan for the entire length of the reservation.

While there may be exceptions made by the front desk, they are by no means guaranteed, and there have been reports of problems when the front desk amends any DVC reservation, as often it means cancelling and rebooking, resulting in borrowed points and points going into holding status which would need to be straightened out later by Member Services.

Also a reminder that the DVC Boards do not allow discussing work arounds for published DVC policies.
The other component is that the DDP must be added ahead of time at least 48 hours.

IMO it comes down to the foreknowledge and intent. If one truly doesn't know and has people that join them last minute, you add them at check in (or after) and let Disney decide whether to charge the DDP or not. This happens, it has to us several times since my son lives only a short drive away. However, when people do it intentionally to try to get around the rules, it's simply dishonest.

Hummmmm. Sounds and smells like a work around to me....if everyone has to have the same dining plan...then the front desk should charge the additional person for the dining plan when the person is added, for the entire reservation and not just days they will be in the room....seems only fair to me...we've paid for days for persons that left early or came later in the reservation...one who didn't come at all..

Hummmmm. Sounds and smells like a work around to me....if everyone has to have the same dining plan...then the front desk should charge the additional person for the dining plan when the person is added, for the entire reservation and not just days they will be in the room....seems only fair to me...we've paid for days for persons that left early or came later in the reservation...one who didn't come at all..
I agree, they should remove the current catch 22. When I've had to add others it has truly been short notice and I have been prepared to add and pay for the DDP when we had it.

Enjoy it while you can. Now that it was posted on the DIS, Disney knows about it and if they have an issue with last minute adds, they will enforce/change the policy.

According to my Disney management friends, that's what happened with segmented reservations. Management received feed back from the resorts about the problems that they were having but the tipping point was when they took posts from the DIS where members had posted their schedules.

They never realized the people would flip dining plans and take days off between plans. That removed too much profit from the program and added costs due to CM involvement.

:earsboy: Bill

Enjoy it while you can. Now that it was posted on the DIS, Disney knows about it and if they have an issue with last minute adds, they will enforce/change the policy.

According to my Disney management friends, that's what happened with segmented reservations. Management received feed back from the resorts about the problems that they were having but the tipping point was when they took posts from the DIS where members had posted their schedules.

They never realized the people would flip dining plans and take days off between plans. That removed too much profit from the program and added costs due to CM involvement.

And they have lots of options, if they chose to deal with this issue. None of them being to the benefit of DVC Members.

I find it difficult to believe they were that naive. With any choice or change they should have a item of how it can be used/abused just like with walking reservations.

How I found this out is I wanted to add my DM on to the DDP and was told I could not. The one time she flew down to meet us last minute...the other time she was driving back from Lake Wales with the intention of going on to Georgia and just decided to stay and return home with us two days later
This was a couple of years ago prior to the reservation system being upgraded so it may have worked itself out by now.

I'll offer a cautionary tale that this doesn't always work. While staying at BCV this past summer, I asked about adding my parents to our room. Adding them would have made 4 in a studio, so we were within the official occupancy. We weren't on any dining plan. The front desk wouldn't allow me to do it. I also called MS, and they also said it couldn't be done.

Fortunately, it didn't cause us any hardship. My parents had a room at their own timeshare. I was just trying to add them to our room so we could do SAB together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter