Add a person to a dinner reservation as a walk-up?

LowerLake

Earning My Ears
So...our nephew who is training as a Navy pilot in FL is coming to join us while we're at Disney. We only made a few table service reservations, and Reservations won't let me add a person ("the restaurant is at capacity"). We leave Saturday, so it's too late to change to another restaurant and get something we want.

My question: Will we have any luck just showing up with an extra person? Anyone have experieince with that?

Thanks.

Most likely not. Most tables for 2 are for 2 people only. But its worth a try, Keep calling good luck

So...our nephew who is training as a Navy pilot in FL is coming to join us while we're at Disney. We only made a few table service reservations, and Reservations won't let me add a person ("the restaurant is at capacity"). We leave Saturday, so it's too late to change to another restaurant and get something we want.

My question: Will we have any luck just showing up with an extra person? Anyone have experieince with that?

Thanks.

They have accommodated me every time. I had deluxe dining in December 2008, and my sister joined us at the last minute and we became a party of three. Every restaurant (and we are talking a couple of dozen) did it without batting an eye. The only one that checked with management was Cinderella's Royal Table, but the manager said yes as soon as he was asked.

I wouldn't count on it. You are heading down durring the beginning of Spring Break season (I know my girlfriends sister is off from school that week), durring free dining. I would keep trying while you can and worse comes to worse you can try when you get there. The worst that can happen is they say no or make you wait a bit longer.

We did that twice, and just showed up with 2 extra people. We just explained that they just joined us for the day, and both times, were during free dining, at Chef Mickey. They happily sat all of us. Good Luck !!!

I've never had a problem adding a person at the podium. Good Luck

I wouldn't think soo being its booked. Reason I say that is another thread today, somebody asked if they could add a child at door to there seating. Child is under 2 so they dint reserve a seat. They were told the issue wasnt the adding a person, BUT it was a Fire Code issue where only soo many people allowed in at any time. So if there booked it would be safer to get another seating another time.

Never had a problem here either. DD and I go up to WDW a few times a yr and sometimes DH comes up and sometimes not but I usually make our ADRs for 2 and adding him at the time of check in has never been a problem. More times than not, even when it's just dd and I we are sat at a 4 top, rather than a 2 top table. Unless it's a place that has very limited seating or is tough to get into (like Le Cellier or Cali Grill) you shouldn't have a problem.

Here is 1 of the quotes I saw today on the DDR thread. Basically same deal..Looking to add a person during sold out table seatings.

As you've seen the answer is yes. They count everyone, regardless of age. It's not just a matter of space, but a person is a person for restaurant fire code capacity purposes. If you didn't include the baby, what you have to worry about is not if you can squeeze the baby in at the table, but whether or not the restaurant might be at fire code capacity when you show up. If it is, extra people won't be admitted.

Once you show up at the restaurant with a baby, you will be a party of three, not a party of two. They won't seat you at that two-top and I don't remember seeing strollers in the restaurant (it's a very small restaurant). If they don't turn you away, you'll have to wait until a table with capacity for three persons opens up.

Back when I lived in FL and used to go down most weekends, I would add people to ADRs all the time and never had a problem.

Don't go through Disney dining, they will just tell you no, what you should do is just tell the person that is checking you in at the restaurant that you have an extra person. I never had trouble with them accommodating me, and sometimes I would add 5 extra people. We were not always sat right on time, but we were never turned away.

Just think about how many people don't bother showing up for their ADRs, usually there is plenty of extra capacity at restaurants. The only place that this might be a problem is Le Cellier, but I've had success there as well.

Could you? Possibly.

But can you count on it? Not 100%.

Try it, but be sure to have a backup idea. It would stink to get there, ask, be told no, and have no backup.

Go up from an odd number of people to an even number of people is never a problem. Almost all tables are all designed for an even number of seats.

Going from an even number up to an odd number may be difficult to impossible as you need a larger table than was reserved.

we didn't have any trouble. Our adr's were booked for 3- dh, dd age 2 and myself. Then my two adult sons decided to go with us. I'd read on this board that it would be a problem but it was a complete non issue and every place showed as completely booked.

Yes, you could be sent away. I guess le cellier could be a problem because its so small but, probably, you'll be fine.

good luck and have fun!

Going from an even number up to an odd number may be difficult to impossible as you need a larger table than was reserved.

But herein lies the fallacy. At WDW, you do not reserve a "table". The policy is that you will be seated at the next available table for your party size. Let's say that you were a party of two and grew to a three. There might be a two top ready when you arrive, and you would have gotten that table. But when you show up as a three, they don't tell you: "Sorry, Mrs. Jones. We had you booked for table #17 which is a two-top and we can't put three people there". Instead, they say: "You will have to wait until the next table for 3 opens up." In the vast majority of cases, they will let you do that. As you can see from the responses on this thread (and all the other preceding threads on this topic), there are two types of responses. Those who have actually tried and have had universal success, (posts 3,5,6,8,10, 13 and 15 below) and those that have not tried but reflexively predict doom, (posts 2,4,7 and 11). So ignore the "I don't think it can be done" responses, and heed the "we did it with no problem" responses.

This doesn't mean that you can grow your party to a size that does not fit on most tables. In other words, If you were a 4 and try to grow to a 7, you may be out of luck.

As for the fire code issues....another red herring. Restaurants set up their tables so that they hold no more than the number of people permitted by code. That means that the configuration is within code if every single seat is occupied. But that NEVER happens (except at banquets, weddings, receptions and the like). Even if all the tables are "occupied", that does not mean that they are at "capacity". There will ALWAYS be parties of 3 seated at tables that hold 4, and parties of 5 at tables that hold 6, and parties of 1 at tables that hold 2. Each of these vacancies keeps the restaurant within code. Also, fire codes account for a fair number of patrons in lounge areas. With the exception of the California Grill, few Disney restaurants have bars or lounges of any significance. So, again, there is a fair bit of leeway such that your nephew is not going to tip the scales. Think about it. If a restaurant were truly at capacity, and I mean real capacity, how could the restaurant keep track of that? They would need someone with a counting clicker counting every time someone walked in or walked out. Parties would not be permitted to enter the restaurant to check in 15 minutes before their ADR because doing so would violate the code. Instead, restaurants eyeball the situation. In reality, if you look at the fire code certificate that shows the permitted number of people, you will be surprised to learn just how many people they are allowed to squeeze in. Sort of like elevators. Next time you are in one that says "Load no more than 12 people", ask yourself just how they could possibly get 12 people into that elevator. The California Grill at Fireworks time is a perfect example. The restaurant is full of diners, the bar is packed, the lounge is full, and yet they still allow more people (who had dined there previously that night) to come up and watch the show. Maybe not everyone gets in, but enough to matter. And yet, there is no violation. Can you think of any other restaurant at WDW that is as overcrowded as the CG during fireworks? Would a rational person really think that growing a party of two into a party of three is going to set off bells and whistles?

Don't stress about it; you should have no problem. We just got back from WDW. I had made many reservations for four that I couldn't change to six when my kids invited their friends to come along. I was especially worried when we were in line to check in at a very crowded Chef Mickey's. The woman at check-in didn't even flinch when I said we had six. I think they are very use to this and don't even think twice about it.

But herein lies the fallacy. At WDW, you do not reserve a "table". The policy is that you will be seated at the next available table for your party size. Let's say that you were a party of two and grew to a three. There might be a two top ready when you arrive, and you would have gotten that table. But when you show up as a three, they don't tell you: "Sorry, Mrs. Jones. We had you booked for table #17 which is a two-top and we can't put three people there". Instead, they say: "You will have to wait until the next table for 3 opens up." In the vast majority of cases, they will let you do that.
Note that at the Fireworks Dessert Party you do actually reserve a table. The table has a "Reserved for .........." card on it.

This comes up a lot on this board..and the answers *almost* always fall in two categories:

1. People who have done it (asked to add a person) and WERE successful.

2. People who have NOT done it, but don't THINK its possible (based on their perception of ADRs, restaurants, etc. and based on "I knew someone who knew someone who went to Disney...")

We've added and subtracted people several times without an issue. CMs understand that things come up and *most* people aren't just trying to beat the system.

Is it possible that you could be turned away? Sure. If that happens, have a plan B...probably counter service dining or plan to meet up with your nephew after dinner if he wants to go do something else for a bit. But, it never hurts to ask to add him...

Most cases you might, but in case there's a problem put 407-WDW-dine in your cel phone and if you have a problem, call and make an ADR immediately at a resort restaurant. Many have availability at the last minute even during free dining. Last Sept we made an ADR for 7 at the Grand Floridian Cafe on Friday for Monday and had the best meal I've ever had at WDW.

If the restaurant is REALLY at capacity (for fire codes) they won't admit him at all. This is rare, but it could happen. If you want it guaranteed that your entire party will be admitted, you need to change the reservation to your new party size.

As for the fire code issues....another red herring.

No, it's not. Extra diners HAVE been turned away on occasion. It's just rare that it happens. However, it does happen. Just in case have an alternate plan (he will eat elsewhere, one of you will eat elsewhere, all of you will eat elsewhere.

Most cases you might, but in case there's a problem put 407-WDW-dine in your cel phone and if you have a problem, call and make an ADR immediately at a resort restaurant. Many have availability at the last minute even during free dining. Last Sept we made an ADR for 7 at the Grand Floridian Cafe on Friday for Monday and had the best meal I've ever had at WDW.

Shhhhhh. You are not supposed to tell! We love the Grand Floridian Cafe too! But most people here overlook it, so it is usually not that hard to get into. We don't want to ruin that, do we?;)

Funny thing, I asked my 10 year old niece to pick one place to eat during our next trip to WDW and she picked the Grand Floridian Cafe. Not Akershus, not the Castle. GFC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter