• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Ragin’ Asian Invasion

I’ve lived in Asia. It was bleak and desolate, yet held a beauty all of its own. Instead of lush rain forests or high-mountained landscapes in other areas of Asia, my home was filled with sand dunes, vast open steppe, and was as dry as most counties in Alabama most of the year. But the continent is huge, and Central Asia is vastly different from the portions of Asia that Disney chose to highlight and portray in their fictional backstory setting of Anandapur- appropriately meaning “place of many delights”. Anandapur is decidedly Subcontinental Asian in flavor with influences of India, Nepal, and Tibet, with a splash of Indonesia thrown in for good measure. In my opinion, it’s a blend that comes off as believable and immersive.

In all of Disney World, this is perhaps my most very favorite place to wander and photograph. The colors are incredibly vibrant everywhere one turns, there are hidden gems scattered all over the place, and has, to me, the coolest of all the animals in the park. In addition, Asia is home to my new favorite snack in Animal Kingdom, so therefore wins as “Best Area” for Snack Default.

Being “the place of many delights”, it stands to reason I found a few. I invite you, Dear Reader, to join me on a photo tour of the many delights I encountered along my Asian Invasion.

After a grand Safari, led by Shofana the pelican guide bird, we said our goodbyes to the gorillas.

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Here’s one we caught telling his wife how glad he was to finally see the tourists disappear. “Hey Maude, how much did these morons pay to walk around these hot, sweaty Savannas (without an 'h'), anyway?”

IMG_1686.jpg

We reached the end of our time in Africa,

IMG_1687.jpg

and hopped on a plane that was somehow able to carry us to Asia at warp speed…. no shark-infested oceans to swim, nor parched deserts to cross. Disney pulls stuff like that off pretty well. I’m grateful. My vacation time was pretty limited this time around. So best get a move on! Things to see; stuff to do!! Not to keep rushing from ride to ride, but to take in all the meandering we could. That’s how Animal Kingdom is best enjoyed. But that’s just one gal’s opinion. Try it though; maybe you’ll agree.

Our meanderings took us through orchid-laden trails, cool mists occasionally spraying us on the shaded trails.

IMG_1688.jpg

Serenity followed us while peaceful melodies played on mystic strings and pipes drew us into the Asian habitats. We drifted deeper into wild places and soon found ourselves lost among the prayer flags waving on gentle breezes- every sense of urgency to rush melted away, and we quickly became entranced with the world of exotic art, beasts... from ferocious yet graceful to small and charming, and culinary delights to tantalize the appetites.

Take my hand, together we’ll discover the wilds of Asia- not only a “place of many delights”, but one of “beauty and romance”.

IMG_1691.jpg

Asia is filled with graceful art and music,

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

But, is also home to adventure and danger. On June 8, 1924, two men set out to do what no one had ever done before. To this day, it remains a mystery as to whether George Mallory and "Sandy" Irvine made it to their destination: The summit of Mt. Everest. Regardless, that was the day they died trying. The Disney Imagineers paid their respects to an attempted feat, possible triumph, and unfortunate fate.

IMG_1694.jpg

Traveling and exploring is best done in a sated state, and to heighten the experience, the local cuisines must be sampled, even if it means sheep’s eyeballs or Caspian caviar. (Only one of those is delicious.)
The four of us made our way into the Yak and Yeti, a name that is decidedly dubious. You go with yack and that quite possibly conjures up visions (or realities) of yuck. All jesting aside, I really enjoy this place. Why? Who doesn’t want to be invited into beauty and romance?

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Then again, maybe everything is beautiful and romantic after some sake. During my Asian Trek, I happened to be on Letter ‘H’, and I found one that went smooth sailing down the hatch; I’d order this in a flash next time. It was THAT good! Normally, I detest sake, but this was sweet and smooth. Sooooo good!

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

For those of you keeping track, here is my progress on the A-Z Drinking Challenge up to now that has been covered in the TR:

A- Air Pirate's Mule @ Jock Lindsay's
B- Blood Orange Marg from to-go at La Cava
C- Cyprian Sunset @ Moroccan Pavilion
D- Dawa Mary @ The Dawa Bar in Harambe
E- Eppo Sangria @ The Dawa Bar in Harambe
F- Fuzzy Navel @ the Big BlueK Pool
G- Gin and Ginger @ the Coral Reef
H- Hana Sake @ Yak and Yeti
I- Island Mary @ The Dawa Bar in Harambe
J- Jack and Ginger @ Abracadabar
K- K wine @ Vic & Al's
L- L wine @ Vic & Al's
M- Moscato @ Vic & Al's
N- Not Your Father's Root Beer @ American Pav in EPCOT
O- NOT YET REVEALED
P- NOT YET REVEALED
Q- NOT YET REVEALED
R- Raspberry Margarita @ Victoria Falls Lounge
S- NOT YET REVEALED
T- NOT YET REVEALED
U- NOT YET REVEALED
V- NOT YET REVEALED
W- NOT YET REVEALED
X- NOT YET REVEALED
Y- NOT YET REVEALED
Z- Zignum Mezcal @ La Cava

We ordered a bunch of small plates and dim-summy-like things and were completely satisfied, declaring it delicious. The kids liked everything we ordered (a small portion of which is pictured), but liked a few of our other meals a bit more.

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

The only other thing that may have made our meal a bit more memorable was to have been able to have been seated on the 2nd floor with a view. But, no ADR, no view. Sometimes, you just hope for the best, right?

With our taste buds happy and tummies even happier, it was time to say hello to the birds of the air and the beasts of the land, in no particular order of encounter. I am probably one of few, but I am quite content to spend no small amount of time in the aviaries sitting on a bench watching the flights of our feathered friends. This particular aviary has some stunning species that call it home. Enjoy the intense colors of their plumage and variety.

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

(Continued in next post...)

Last edited:
Ragin' Asian Invasion Continued...

Birds are not the only flying creatures found in Asian locales. These guys knock my socks off and I’m glad I stopped to spend a bit of time with them.

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

According to the folks who work closely with them, bats are docile and gentle and love to eat loads of fruit. I guess that makes the bats a lot like the Komodo Dragon. Well, except that the Komodo doesn’t have hair. Or wings. But close enough.

IMG_1702.jpg

(Me on any given Friday evening after a 10 or 12 hour shift.)

While not so gentle or docile, but no less fascinating, beautiful, or exotic, the tigers were up and around for a stroll. They make perfect guards for the palace grounds we were touring.

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

The long gone rajahs have their own stories to tell. Some of which can be found here:

IMG_1718.jpg

Enjoy the peaceful sanctuary they have left for us!

IMG_1714.jpg

The murals are simply stunning, inside of which many Hidden Mickeys can be found. I quickly captured 3 of them:

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Eventually it was time to bid adieu to the creatures and grab a little something sweet to match the music we happened upon.

IMG_1698.jpg

***(Perhaps the single best sweet snack in all of Animal Kingdom. Yes, I will get one of these next time I'm there. No, I probably won't share... unless you are very, very nice to me and are a very close friend. In which case, I will have to ask for a bite or sip of whatever you have. Tit for tat, as they say. In case you are wondering, this is the Frozen Chai Latte $5.39 from The Royal Anandapur Tea Company. Has a nice British Colonial ring to it, no?)

How many occasions in one’s lifetime does one get to listen to live sitar melodies? Did I enjoy it? Yes, very much. Did I like this guy’s coke nail? Not so much. I’m sure it was for digging for gold, right? …. Right?

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

Eh hem….

Miraculously, we all ended up being able to meet back up with no one’s phone dying, turning the ringer off, dropping it on a ride (and losing it temporarily), or feeding it to any critters along the way. Here’s proof:

IMG_1786.jpg

We “Discovered” our way out taking in a few more birds and some cool light fixtures (that I wish I had for my house), and said good bye to the Kingdom-of-Animals-But-So-Much-More.

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

More adventures around the World coming up....

Until then,

Namaste!!!

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get caught up on Ponzi's report. I read while I'm on hold at work and read while waiting in line last week. You're super busy but doing great things.

I can't keep up with the chatter on that one very well. I try but mostly fail. That's perfect to read when you're waiting. something to make the time go faster is great!

Being super busy, while keeps me on my toes, does have its drawbacks, like adequate sleep. ;)

I sure hope so. I have to give her credit, she and Chris cleaned the kitchen last night after diner without being asked and they did a great job.

YAY!!!

They're adulting!

I stink at both. I did luck out in Buzz on one of our rides. It stopped right before we entered the first room but the guns had been turned on. I hit something magical and scored 274,000. Beat em all!

WHAT the heck?!! I'd love that... just once!

I was worried I would have trouble on Flight of Passage since it was describes as a cross between Star Tours and Soarin', but I didn't!

I can't wait to go on that one! Seriously, the whole place looks so freaking amazing!

I'm going to wish you a secret Congrats :jumping1::dancer:! You're going to love it .

;) ;)

:banana:

They just wanted to be authentic with the coke nail. :rotfl2: When I went to Indonesia some one on my team kept a running count of all the people he saw with one.

Last edited:
:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

So don't get it. :confused3 I mean, I get it, but .... I just don't get it.

Just going to comment on this one since it's quick, will be back for more in depth comments, but in this case I'm sure it's similar to a guitar pick. My guitar playing friends always had one nail that was longer than the others so that they could pluck the strings with more force.

In all of Disney World, this is perhaps my most very favorite place to wander and photograph. The colors are incredibly vibrant everywhere one turns, there are hidden gems scattered all over the place, and has, to me, the coolest of all the animals in the park.
I feel much the same way. I have always been disappointed when people call AK a "half day park". I would be happy to wander all day, not even doing any rides or shows, and just soak in the sights and sounds. Perhaps it's partly a nostalgic feeling for someone like you and I who have lived in Asia.

But, is also home to adventure and danger. On June 8, 1924, two men set out to do what no one had ever done before. To this day, it remains a mystery as to whether George Mallory and "Sandy" Irvine made it to their destination: The summit of Mt. Everest. Regardless, that was the day they died trying. The Disney Imagineers paid their respects to an attempted feat, possible triumph, and unfortunate fate.
I had no idea. Nice that Disney has paid tribute to them.

We ordered a bunch of small plates and dim-summy-like things and were completely satisfied, declaring it delicious. The kids liked everything we ordered (a small portion of which is pictured), but liked a few of our other meals a bit more.
It looks great. Dim sum is one thing I will miss now that I will not be spending time in Asia. Most of the Asian inspired restaurants where I live are too Canadian-ized/American-ized and are not really authentic.

I am probably one of few, but I am quite content to spend no small amount of time in the aviaries sitting on a bench watching the flights of our feathered friends. This particular aviary has some stunning species that call it home. Enjoy the intense colors of their plumage and variety.
I don't consider myself a bird watcher, but I can also happily spend some time in the aviaries. Unfortunately whenever I've been in AK it's with a couple young girls who are dragging me along to the next show or ride.

While not so gentle or docile, but no less fascinating, beautiful, or exotic, the tigers were up and around for a stroll. They make perfect guards for the palace grounds we were touring.
I sadly have never taken the path to see the tigers, and I would so like to. (See comment above about rides & shows.) I feel an adults-only or solo trip is coming in the next few years.

In case you are wondering, this is the Frozen Chai Latte $5.39 from The Royal Anandapur Tea Company. Has a nice British Colonial ring to it, no?)
It sounds fantastic. Chai Latte is about the only thing I can stomach at $ixbucks (I am not a coffee drinker and I refuse to pay that much for a plain cup of tea I could make at home). So having that in frozen form is something I would like to try. I must add it to my ever growing list.

Just going to comment on this one since it's quick, will be back for more in depth comments, but in this case I'm sure it's similar to a guitar pick. My guitar playing friends always had one nail that was longer than the others so that they could pluck the strings with more force.

Hmmm, it is plausible, but I could go with either theory on this one methinks. I did some reading up on it and asked some of my plucking friends and ONE nail like that is a bit odd. It's usually ALL the nails on the left hand long.

Great updates! I love your bat pictures!!! So cool! I still don't think I'd be happy to find one in my house, but I didn't know they were such docile creatures...and vegetarians too. Well I guess some of them are lol. That frozen chai sounded really good too. For some reason I've never considered a cold chai before...something to think about! Glad you all found each other without too much trouble. That is one thing that can be a real pain when splitting up...and sometimes seems to take an annoyingly long time to find everyone again.

KY in June- Not sure of my schedule but I will check.

Yikes this was the last time I was caught up? Well caught up again and too late for me to stay up and comment.
I love the updates and and still looking at schedules for KY in June. Lots still up in the air with deadlines and just summertime.

if you don’t think method acting is hard, just ask Heath Ledger. Oh. Nevermind.

:eek:

No, not THAT Grammy that comes with a trophy,

You were up for a Grammy too?
You act and sing?

Impressive.

her own sweet Grammy who not only gave Steppe her sassy pants attitude

:laughing:

but her pesky French upper lip hair

hmm...
Can't say as I noticed that.

Then again, with all of Disneyland to look at, I suppose I may not have been looking that close.
Next time, I'll stare at you until you're uncomfortable.

I love her to pieces still and miss her terribly.

:hug:

I feel the same way about my grandma.

special benefit gala for the Maimed Storm Troopers of the Empire.

How many of them are there anyway?
Everytime I see one... they just seem to fall over.

There were games and hoopla planned and Steppe is never one to turn down fun and games. Or hoopla.

Define "Hoopla".

Better than her Beaver from the last time she played!

d35b116ba0026f78a31b180281f1b428.jpg

Who remembers Tinker Toys?

:wave: Me! Me! Had some.
Not a lot... but some.

This was cute, thought Steppe as she wound her way through the clever queue,

IMG_1818.jpg

But totally impossible.
No one could draw worth a darn on those things.

but all Steppe could think of at this point was that she wanted to go to bed for infinity and beyond. And yet, no matter how tired Steppe was, there was no time to rest- adventure was out there, and adventure is for finding.

There's no sleeping in Disney.

Steppe momentarily forgot where she was and asked her teen-aged stagehand to do the dishes. She got the usual facial expression

:lmao:
Yes. Very familiar with that expression.
Especially if it's the other child's chore.

And Storm Troopers. (Don’t worry, they couldn’t hit a sloth at point blank.)

How is that even possible?
Do they just pick random, near-sighted people and say "Here. You're a storm trooper now."

What’s possibly more miraculous is that Steppe didn’t puke in or near the ride.

No sympathy!
Not after you made me do the spew cups.

(Side note: For reals, Folks were appropriately amused with his antics. Several people asked if he could hang around a bit longer so they could snap his picture, delaying Steppe a bit and almost making her miss her Space Flight.)

:laughing: Really?

Popular guy, obviously.

On the way out, they narrowly missed getting squashed by this idiot:

IMG_1160.jpg

Never did understand those.
Totally vulnerable and slow.

Pretty much the opposite of what you want a troop carrier to be.

(Yes I know it made for great optics.)

Oddly, Steppe’s kids didn’t know what semaphores are either and had to be schooled.

:sad2:
Kids these days.

They need to watch more TV.

sped through space dodging exploding TIE Fighters (which are even better than exploding helicopters) (there, are you happy now, Boys?),

What. No pictures???

All in all, a pretty awesome (compilation of) day(s) in Hollywoodland.

::yes:: Sounds like a pretty full and awesome day! :)

Soooo glad the Lego Walk of Death is a thing of the past for me. Although, I have a bit of news, but can't quite share yet. ;) (Shhhh....)

Oh? Hello?

Nah. You're too young for that.

(really though? Then, congrats!)

I’ve lived in Asia. It was bleak and desolate, yet held a beauty all of its own.

You make it sound.... less beautiful and more bleak and desolate.

:rolleyes:

my home was filled with sand dunes

Well, if you'd vacuum once in a while....

and was as dry as most counties in Alabama most of the year.

So has an average rainfall of 56 inches?

But the continent is huge

::yes::
I do think that people can't grasp just how big it is.

Central Asia is vastly different from the portions of Asia that Disney chose to highlight and portray in their fictional backstory setting of Anandapur- appropriately meaning “place of many delights”. Anandapur is decidedly Subcontinental Asian in flavor with influences of India, Nepal, and Tibet, with a splash of Indonesia thrown in for good measure. In my opinion, it’s a blend that comes off as believable and immersive.

I'm really glad you posted that.
I like to hear how they did from the perspective of one who's actually been there.

In all of Disney World, this is perhaps my most very favorite place to wander and photograph.

Well, then you should go back!

and has, to me, the coolest of all the animals in the park

Hmmm... more cool than lions, giraffes, elephants, hippos, cheetahs or rhinos?

In addition, Asia is home to my new favorite snack in Animal Kingdom, so therefore wins as “Best Area” for Snack Default.

I don't consider a drinkable item a "snack".
Closest would be a Dole whip float... but you eat at least half of that with a spoon.

But... I'm still glad you found a new (was it new? or had you had it before?) favourite.

Love that shot.

This one doesn't even look real! Nice capture!

IMG_1687.jpg

I see what you did there.

Not to keep rushing from ride to ride, but to take in all the meandering we could. That’s how Animal Kingdom is best enjoyed.

Okay! Okay!

I already told you, you've convinced me!

Some day I'll have the time to relax and not rush.

Our meanderings took us through orchid-laden trails, cool mists occasionally spraying us on the shaded trails.

cool mists spraying you is preferable to monkeys throwing their dung at you.

We drifted deeper into wild places and soon found ourselves lost among the prayer flags waving on gentle breezes

I love those prayer flags. I always stop to admire them.

every sense of urgency to rush melted away

Wonderful feeling.

Take my hand, together we’ll discover the wilds of Asia- not only a “place of many delights”, but one of “beauty and romance”.

I think I need to take you up on this offer.
You certainly know how to sell it.

You definitely have a good eye, Liesa.

On June 8, 1924, two men set out to do what no one had ever done before. To this day, it remains a mystery as to whether George Mallory and "Sandy" Irvine made it to their destination: The summit of Mt. Everest. Regardless, that was the day they died trying. The Disney Imagineers paid their respects to an attempted feat, possible triumph, and unfortunate fate.

IMG_1694.jpg

Now that is something!
I had no idea. How did you come to find out about that little tidbit?

sheep’s eyeballs or Caspian caviar. (Only one of those is delicious.)

Who knew sheep's eyeballs could taste so good?

The four of us made our way into the Yak and Yeti, a name that is decidedly dubious. You go with yack and that quite possibly conjures up visions (or realities) of yuck.

I think of Nat'l Lampoon Christmas Vacation

15624073_1272245139512998_8147763937895514112_n.jpg

Who doesn’t want to be invited into beauty and romance?

Me! Me! Pick me!

Then again, maybe everything is beautiful and romantic after some sake.

Oh.

So for all you know, it might have been less "beauty and romance" and more "ugly and spiteful".

Normally, I detest sake, but this was sweet and smooth. Sooooo good!

Hmmm...
I tried some for the first time in Japan and wasn't overly thrilled.
Then again, I'm not much of a drinker.

Might have to give that one a whirl.

Won ton soup and pot stickers?
Dang. I should've taken Kay here.

The only other thing that may have made our meal a bit more memorable was to have been able to have been seated on the 2nd floor with a view. But, no ADR, no view. Sometimes, you just hope for the best, right?

But is a little pixie dust too much to ask for?

I am probably one of few, but I am quite content to spend no small amount of time in the aviaries sitting on a bench watching the flights of our feathered friends.

I'm not a huge fan.... but I'll watch for a while.

Cool shot!

These guys knock my socks off

Interesting.
Most people I know are turned off by them.

According to the folks who work closely with them, bats are docile and gentle and love to eat loads of fruit.

Huh. Didn't know they were docile.
Knew the fruit part.

I guess that makes the bats a lot like the Komodo Dragon. Well, except that the Komodo doesn’t have hair. Or wings. But close enough.

And can kill and eat you if given a chance.

Enjoy the peaceful sanctuary they have left for us!

IMG_1714.jpg

Love that.

***(Perhaps the single best sweet snack in all of Animal Kingdom. Yes, I will get one of these next time I'm there. No, I probably won't share... unless you are very, very nice to me and are a very close friend. In which case, I will have to ask for a bite or sip of whatever you have. Tit for tat, as they say. In case you are wondering, this is the Frozen Chai Latte $5.39 from The Royal Anandapur Tea Company. Has a nice British Colonial ring to it, no?)

Well... not a tea or coffee drinker, so I'll pass.

How many occasions in one’s lifetime does one get to listen to live sitar melodies?

Not too often!

Did I like this guy’s coke nail? Not so much. I’m sure it was for digging for gold, right? …. Right?

I'm with Alison. I notice he has one on both hands.

Miraculously, we all ended up being able to meet back up with no one’s phone dying, turning the ringer off, dropping it on a ride (and losing it temporarily), or feeding it to any critters along the way.

Hmmmm....

Nah. Not buying it.

Here’s proof:

IMG_1786.jpg

Obvious photopass photo.

We “Discovered” our way out taking in a few more birds and some cool light fixtures (that I wish I had for my house),

I noticed those too... and had the same reaction.

Your pictures in "Anandapur" are so lovely!

I'm always surprised when people find bats scary or yucky. They're such neat animals! I mean, I don't know that I'd want one to land in my hair or anything (especially not one of that size, they'd knock me out!) but I like my personal space and don't usually like humans or other animals landing in my hair either, so I don't hold that against the bats...

We've never tried the frozen chai latte, but I think my fiance would love it! Will have to put it on the list for our August trip...

And as a response to your tree of life picture - what a gorgeous family you have! <3

I can't keep up with the chatter on that one very well. I try but mostly fail. That's perfect to read when you're waiting. something to make the time go faster is great!

Being super busy, while keeps me on my toes, does have its drawbacks, like adequate sleep. ;)

I hope you're getting more sleep now. I enjoy the chatter but it kicks me when I get behind (literally). Still reading when I can.

YAY!!!

They're adulting!

Chris has been a good influence on her. His Mama has him cleaning the house and running errands. He's an only child.

WHAT the heck?!! I'd love that... just once!

I tried to take a picture but it didn't come out. Dennis can vouch for me.

I can't wait to go on that one! Seriously, the whole place looks so freaking amazing!

It was! I missed out on seeing it at night so I have to go back.

Can't wait to see it on FB.

I’ve lived in Asia. It was bleak and desolate, yet held a beauty all of its own. Instead of lush rain forests or high-mountained landscapes in other areas of Asia, my home was filled with sand dunes, vast open steppe, and was as dry as most counties in Alabama most of the year. But the continent is huge, and Central Asia is vastly different from the portions of Asia that Disney chose to highlight and portray in their fictional backstory setting of Anandapur- appropriately meaning “place of many delights”. Anandapur is decidedly Subcontinental Asian in flavor with influences of India, Nepal, and Tibet, with a splash of Indonesia thrown in for good measure. In my opinion, it’s a blend that comes off as believable and immersive.

So many different lands and peoples in Asia. Chris' family is from Vietnam. He couldn't identify with Asia in AK but did with China and Japan in Epcot. One of the things he and Danielle have in common is Anime. They could have spent all their time in Japan. I use to work with someone from Afghanistan, her Asia was different too.

In all of Disney World, this is perhaps my most very favorite place to wander and photograph. The colors are incredibly vibrant everywhere one turns, there are hidden gems scattered all over the place, and has, to me, the coolest of all the animals in the park. In addition, Asia is home to my new favorite snack in Animal Kingdom, so therefore wins as “Best Area” for Snack Default.

I love the details in AK but you're right, Asia has the most details. I'm so glad you found your best snack. They took my jalapeno pretzel away.:(

we said our goodbyes to the gorillas.

Fabulous pictures!

:rotfl2:I see what you did there.

and hopped on a plane that was somehow able to carry us to Asia at warp speed…

Wait until you walk across a bridge to Pandora and you're transported light years away to another dimension.

Count me in with the people who did not know this. Where is the plaque located?

The four of us made our way into the Yak and Yeti,

Some good eating. We ate her too.

We ordered a bunch of small plates and dim-summy-like things and were completely satisfied,

We enjoyed the apps more than the meal.

seated on the 2nd floor with a view.

We had an ADR and were upstairs, but no view either. :confused3

but I am quite content to spend no small amount of time in the aviaries sitting on a bench watching the flights of our feathered friends.

Love this. It's so much better than the one in Africa. So many pretty birds. I love the birdhouses too. My only fear is bird droppings. :scared1:

Birds are not the only flying creatures found in Asian locales. These guys knock my socks off and I’m glad I stopped to spend a bit of time with them.

Again fabulous photos!

Great tiger photos too. They were a no show for us.

The murals are simply stunning, inside of which many Hidden Mickeys can be found. I quickly captured 3 of them:

Great find. I want to go back and look now.

Great family photo!

Anandapur is decidedly Subcontinental Asian in flavor with influences of India, Nepal, and Tibet, with a splash of Indonesia thrown in for good measure. In my opinion, it’s a blend that comes off as believable and immersive.

Good to hear from an expert!

In all of Disney World, this is perhaps my most very favorite place to wander and photograph.

It's up there, that's for sure. Amazing detail.

Here’s one we caught telling his wife how glad he was to finally see the tourists disappear. “Hey Maude, how much did these morons pay to walk around these hot, sweaty Savannas (without an 'h'), anyway?”

:rotfl2: Morons. Every last one of them!

I see what you did there.

Traveling and exploring is best done in a sated state, and to heighten the experience, the local cuisines must be sampled, even if it means sheep’s eyeballs or Caspian caviar.

Are you sure they MUST be sampled??

The four of us made our way into the Yak and Yeti, a name that is decidedly dubious. You go with yack and that quite possibly conjures up visions (or realities) of yuck.

That's why I've always struggled with that restaurant.

For those of you keeping track, here is my progress on the A-Z Drinking Challenge up to now that has been covered in the TR:

Impressive work thus far!

Wow, nice colors there.

Odd. That's me on a Monday morning.

I wonder if they'll ever replace these. I do miss the colors they used to have.

Did I like this guy’s coke nail? Not so much. I’m sure it was for digging for gold, right? …. Right?

Ew...

Nice shot!:thumbsup2

Beautiful pics in Asia.

Glad you liked the lunch at Yak and Yeti.
I have wanted to try it there for the last 3 trips, we did finally do the CS version on our last trip in 2014, it was good.

Love the bird pics, the colors are so vibrant, I really liked the blue one.

Love the tigers! :love: Hate the bats! :scared1: LOL

I feel much the same way. I have always been disappointed when people call AK a "half day park". I would be happy to wander all day, not even doing any rides or shows, and just soak in the sights and sounds. Perhaps it's partly a nostalgic feeling for someone like you and I who have lived in Asia.

Exactly. And yes, perhaps. I like the exotic, foreign feel to it. And I LOVE that Disney is changing the menus up a bit, especially here. So over burgers and dogs. I can get those anywhere here. I'm a not-so-secret plant geek too, so love to wander in the bromeliads and orchids.

I had no idea. Nice that Disney has paid tribute to them.

Disney has put dozens, if not hundreds of these little tributes to important dates in history or people all over the parks. Nothing is random or accidental.

It looks great. Dim sum is one thing I will miss now that I will not be spending time in Asia. Most of the Asian inspired restaurants where I live are too Canadian-ized/American-ized and are not really authentic.

Bummer!!! Too bad there's not a Chinatown or Little Tokyo near you. Last time I had truly authentic Chinese was in San Francisco and it was AMAZING! Disney's is ok, not 100%, but they'd sell little of it, I fear if it were. Seattle has a pretty amazing Chinatown too with good eats if you ever get out this way. I'd meet you guys there if you came west.

I don't consider myself a bird watcher, but I can also happily spend some time in the aviaries. Unfortunately whenever I've been in AK it's with a couple young girls who are dragging me along to the next show or ride.

Solo!! It's how you do what you want to do. Or with someone who "gets" the slow down and SEE.

I sadly have never taken the path to see the tigers, and I would so like to. (See comment above about rides & shows.) I feel an adults-only or solo trip is coming in the next few years.

See above comment....

There's so much more to Disney than rides.

It sounds fantastic. Chai Latte is about the only thing I can stomach at $ixbucks (I am not a coffee drinker and I refuse to pay that much for a plain cup of tea I could make at home). So having that in frozen form is something I would like to try. I must add it to my ever growing list.

It's a lot more like a chai-spiced milkshake if you ask me. Delicious!

Great updates! I love your bat pictures!!! So cool! I still don't think I'd be happy to find one in my house, but I didn't know they were such docile creatures...and vegetarians too. Well I guess some of them are lol.

THanks! They were super fun to watch! We've had them in the house a couple times, and they're hard to get out! But it'd doable. We only have the little mosquito eating kind, and are happy to have them around!

That frozen chai sounded really good too. For some reason I've never considered a cold chai before...something to think about!

Super refreshing! Give it a try!

Glad you all found each other without too much trouble. That is one thing that can be a real pain when splitting up...and sometimes seems to take an annoyingly long time to find everyone again.

It did take a few minutes, but certainly not as long as it could have taken. I dawdled in the aviaries, so they headed for the gift shops ahead of me. If I recall, they got some super cute shorts and t-shirts.

Yikes this was the last time I was caught up? Well caught up again and too late for me to stay up and comment.
I love the updates and and still looking at schedules for KY in June. Lots still up in the air with deadlines and just summertime.

Glad to see you pop in!

Still have time to let me know, even up to that day! No pressure, but would love to see you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter