ABC: Not a single primetime Emmy...

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
According to the E! review of the Emmy telecast:

...and an awards dearth for beleaguered ABC, which came up with the giant goose egg in statues for the night.

When will they get it? Where is the quality TV that is on the other networks? Why?

This should surprise no one.
Have you seen the new Disney catalog where they actually devote a page to highlighting ABC's fall line-up? When America's Funniest Home Videos is the highlight for one night, you know they're in trouble.:o

ABC should take one look at HBO and see what works. If you look at any of the mini-series the key feature in each is that when it comes down to it...its a Soap Opera that is intended to conclude within 5 years. Basically they are a modern reinvention of late 70's series like Dallas. It isn't just the sex, violence, foul language or death (those are hooks that got people watching). It's an ongoing story line that makes you want to come back and see what's happened to your characters.

Granted, given the limitations of broadcast tv, this is going to take some seriously creative thinking. But start by planning a show to end within X number of installments no matter how successful it is. Pick a profession that is distant from most people's lives...something that hasn't been done to death like cop shows....something that isn't boring in its day to day context.

It is a shame that ABC cancelled Once and Again! And that Susanna Thompson nor Sela Ward nor Evan Rachel Wood rec'd any emmy nods.

Well ... not all the primetime emmys are awarded at the broadcast. ABC did take both "featured actor" and "featured actress" awards (which were presented during the creative emmys), and ABC did well in creative categories. Not to mention awards given there to to A&E, E!, and Lifetime ... all partially-owned (at least) Disney companies.

:earsboy:

Well, there was one weird fluke last week - ABC premiered the new fall line up a week ahead of the other networks, and, coupled with Monday Night Football, actually won the ratings for the week.

But judging by the eagerness of my students to get out of class last night before 8, I don't think ABC will pull it off this week -

DR

I don't personally have any interest in any ABC shows, and I totally agree that they're in big trouble. BUT, I don't think Emmy's are necessarily a good gauge of a successful network, or even a good show. (*cough* BUFFY!!!!! *cough*) I personally don't know a single person who watches Frasier - someone must because the ratings are okay, but it's not anyone I know - but that show gets showered with awards every year.

Originally posted by MHopkins2
BUT, I don't think Emmy's are necessarily a good gauge of a successful network, or even a good show. (*cough* BUFFY!!!!! *cough*)

Isn't that the truth. I think "Alias" falls into the same category as "Buffy".

Lisa :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter