Abandon Ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should tell us the rules before we board and not constantly remind us over speakers or before any activity. Disney Springs plays an annoying message every few minutes. Once while entering is enough.
Agreed. Those speaker messages at WDW are awful, and a recorded message isn't going to bring compliance or awareness from a person too resistant or clueless to already be following the guidelines.

The idea of the cruise ships blaring those at people is doubly awful and ridiculous, because on a cruise you're supposed to be able to relax, and also because everyone can be verbally reminded of the rules in person during check-in.

Last edited:
Me too. A cruise is a luxury experience, not an everyday grocery store stop. It should feel like a vacation, not a boot camp. But I hear what an earlier poster stated about just because we don't want to hear it doesn't mean it won't happen. I am frustrated that the cruise companies won't actually spell out what is actually required of you prior to final payment date, at least so far. Just some general " important safety measures" statements. If so much is going to be left off, like shows, and so many requirements of the passengers, we should know exactly what will be required before making a final payment.
Right. What I am comfortable with, and uncomfortable with won't have much, if any, bearing on policies. Like you, I don't think that it is right to require final payment with so much up in the air. Accordingly, I won't make any final payments until I am comfortable that I know what I am buying.

Personally can't think of anything except extremes like:
  • Required to work as staff on the following cruise
  • Forced to swim the last mile to shore for disembarking
Would need the full rundown of what is happening and all the changes before I would say exactly where a limit is.

Your full list but the ship is at 10% capacity and cost is reduced 75% and I am probably signing up.

You open the most amazing threads. Your brain works in wonderous ways.

I agree. They're certainly entertaining so props to her.
Most of the list is too extreme and/or comical so it's unlikely DCL (or any cruise) would implement them
I rolled my eyes at many points but I LOL at the BMI and the Vitamin D supplements... although I kind of agree that Rubenesque folks pose a bigger health risk. But so are seniors, so should we suggest banning them from cruising? Crazy stuff.

In seriousness though, the only thing that would keep me from cruising DCL is if they decided to do away with ports of call or limit those to bubble tours. Instant cancellation from me.
I know DCL staff read these forums so, please: Don't you dare!

This is fun! I'll chime in:
1. One way halls/stairs on the ships
--Too hard to enforce; people are going to take the shortest route. Also not necessary if people are wearing masks as they just pass each other briefly and are not exposed for long.
2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you)
--Given "partitions" seems to be the answer to everything these days, and those are already on balconies, plus it is outdoors, this one seems unlikely
3. Mandatory vitamin D/zinc supplements
--DCL legal would never permit this--they might make it available in the sick bay, but couldn't force people to take it, and not really shown to be effective against Covid anyway
4. BMI limits
--They may require people to certify they are not high-risk and sign some sort of waiver, but they are not going to start taking weight and height measurements at the terminal.
5. Elevator use by exception only, with sign up times, etc.
--This one I actually do think is likely. Not sign up times, but maybe certain elevators reserved for wheelchairs/strollers and other elevators one party at a time with spaced markers for folks to wait.
6. Quarantine times before and after embarkation
--DCL has zero way to enforce this. And the "before" part would be a killer because it would mean to pre-cruise travel or WDW stays--basically limiting themselves to locals. Various state/city governments may well impose mandatory quarantines after cruises once cruising resumes, though.
7. No daily cabin cleaning/turn down service
--Extremely likely, and very frustrating. I tip our room steward VERY much over the recommended amount for a reason.
8. Sign-up times for shuffleboard, miniature golf, ping pong, or basketballs
--Likely.
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster
--That's a good thing, no? As they would blow off the ship?
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day
--Not at set times a day, but in case of a positive test on board, I think will be likely until they can administer rapid tests and contact trace.
11. No childrens' clubs
--I really don't see how they can sail if they do this. That and character meets are the primary entertainment for kids on the ship; and are essential if they want to still have adult only areas of the ship and adult-only Palo/Remy dining. Yes I know there are lots of childless adults who like DCL too, but that is not the typical DCL guest, and I really don't think they'd attract enough guests to justify sailing without families.
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal
--Room service is much less efficient and I don't think the kitchen could handle it on that scale. Plus, not sure it appreciably decreases the risk.
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger
--I'm thinking a combination of early sign ups for a portion with the remainder being available to reserve onboard first come first serve just like they do for other activities. But I could see them do a limit of one show that can be pre-booked and others have to be booked onboard, subject to availability. With a lottery, I'd foresee riots with everyone who gets "believe" instead of "frozen" mobbing guest services to complain.

Another implausible but funny one might be plexiglass between the lounge chairs on the pool deck. We'd literally be cruising along in a (plastic) bubble!

For me the real dealbreaker is going to be what happens when someone on board tests positive, which I think is almost inevitable. If they are required to end the cruise early and return to port, I'm not going to run the risk of that kind of disappointment. If it is just a quarantine for the sick person and traveling party, plus testing on board, I can live with that.

Let me throw out some examples, just to get the ball rolling:

1. One way halls/stairs on the ships
2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you)
3. Mandatory vitamin D/zinc supplements
4. BMI limits
5. Elevator use by exception only, with sign up times, etc.
6. Quarantine times before and after embarkation
7. No daily cabin cleaning/turn down service
8. Sign-up times for shuffleboard, miniature golf, ping pong, or basketballs
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day
11. No childrens' clubs
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger

1.) Doesn't bother me terribly. That said, I don't think it's as easy as it might seem. There are certain decks/areas of the ship where there are singular/dead-end hallways. Do we just close off those staterooms? Maybe. I would say "Just use good sense" but....maybe. What about the long hallway between Animator's Palate and the atrium? I also think....how many times have you been on the ship and realized...oops, I'm going the wrong way? Me? Probably 10 times a cruise, haha. At least. What a pain in the neck to have to walk another 500 feet, to cross over then circle back, so that you are walking the "right" way. Like I said...I'd go with the "just use good sense" approach.

2) Absolutely not. Now, to be perfectly honest, we have an inside stateroom so this doesn't affect me. But...just the principle of it would bother me. If I pay for a stateroom, I have a right to use every square foot of that room at any time I choose.

3) Wouldn't particularly bother me....I can't see them doing it.

4) Well I'm guessing they wouldn't let me on the ship. Soooooooo. I guess I am going to be against this one.

5) Not a fan of this one. I also am not a fan of the suggestion that able-bodied people "shouldn't" be using elevators anyway. Example: if I'm staying on Deck 2, and I have to run up to get drinks at the drink station or maybe some chicken tenders and fries. Nine stories is a lot. And then to carry your stuff back down the stairs 9 stories. Heck, I think 5 stories is still a lot, especially if you are expected to climb those stairs multiple, multiple times a day.

On top of that, has anyone experienced those stairs before/after shows, the muster drill, etc? They are bad enough, even with the elevators running regularly. If the elevators become "by reservation only" or worse, for only non-able bodied individuals....the stairs will be a social distancing nightmare....even more than usual.

6) No.

With one exception. If they do require vaccines. And they have the quarantine prior to boarding (along with testing) as an alternative for people who can't be vaccinated. Can't be, not choose not to. Then, maybe.

But certainly not across the board.

7) Uhhh....this would bother me. Daily cleaning more-so than the turndown service.

8) Understandable but would annoy me. As someone else said, part of the charm is being able to do what you want when you want. So much is scheduled....dinners, character meets...it's nice to have things that are more by the seat of your pants.

9) Meh....no strong feelings either way.

10) Very strong feelings on this one. No. Many people who cruise, do so because they don't have to be in their room except to sleep. The rooms are small, some are very small. The positive is that you are typically not all in the room at the same time, you come and go in passing.

11) Another one where....I get it if they do it. But, I think it's a pretty big loss to the cruising quality/experience. They will lose people specifically because of this one thing. Would likely be a dealbreaker for us.

12) Absolutely not. The cruising experience is....all you care to eat. Room service is free now, and no one should be charged for an additional room service meal, if it comes to that. Being forced to eat in your room....AND making you pay for it? What an insult. To charge the same prices for fewer meals would be an absolute insult to those who are paying for your product.

13) No. Again....an insult to have entertainment as probably your #1 competitive advantage over other cruise lines, and people pay for that product, and for them to get 1 measly show....not even of their choosing? No.

We will refrain from putting deposits on any sailing until all restrictions are lifted.
A lot of the potential policies listed in this thread make it sound more like going to prison than on vacation!

11. No childrens' clubs
--I really don't see how they can sail if they do this. That and character meets are the primary entertainment for kids on the ship; and are essential if they want to still have adult only areas of the ship and adult-only Palo/Remy dining. Yes I know there are lots of childless adults who like DCL too, but that is not the typical DCL guest, and I really don't think they'd attract enough guests to justify sailing without families.
That might be one method of theirs to keep capacity down- just enough people might cancel because of that (and because of other restrictions/cutbacks) to get their cruises at the right percentage until this blows over.

I don't see how they can keep the kids' clubs open. It's an enclosed area with no ventilation, and would be almost impossible to enforce distancing in there, and mask enforcement of so many young kids would be a big challenge. And they are somehow going to wipe down every computer, art area, etc., between each child's use? Um, I don't think so. Disney's Aulani doesn't have its kids' club open, and out of other family resorts I've read about, none of them currently have kids' clubs open.

If you have young kids who use the clubs a lot, it might seem inconceivable to sail without them, but plenty of Disney cruisers have older kids who aren't attached to the clubs, or kids (like my son) who were never that into the clubs at all. Not all families with kids care about them, and of course, there are plenty of adult cruisers, as well.

Last edited:
You should take this thread with a grain of salt.
Yes. None of these was meant to be representative of things DCL was likely to do. It was more of a blue sky as to what types of conditions it would take to deter people from cruising.

That might be one method of theirs to keep capacity down- just enough people might cancel because of that (and because of other restrictions/cutbacks) to get their cruises at the right percentage until this blows over.

I don't see how they can keep the kids' clubs open. It's an enclosed area with no ventilation, and would be almost impossible to enforce distancing in there, and mask enforcement of so many young kids would be a big challenge. And they are somehow going to wipe down every computer, art area, etc., between each child's use? Um, I don't think so. Disney's Aulani doesn't have its kids' club open, and out of other family resorts I've read about, none of them currently have kids' clubs open.

If you have young kids who use the clubs a lot, it might seem inconceivable to sail without them, but plenty of Disney cruisers have older kids who aren't attached to the clubs, or kids (like my son) who were never that into the clubs at all. Not all families with kids care about them, and of course, there are plenty of adult cruisers, as well.
Schools/day cares around the country are open and kids have no problem wearing masks all day and washing or sanitizing hands. I could see reserved times to allow a better child to CM ratio, but not closing them down. I don’t see why they would need to sanitize items after touching. The virus almost never spreads on surfaces, frequent hand washing has always been a big deal in the club, and it’s not like anything else on the ship gets wiped down after every touch (elevator buttons, railings, doors to the restrooms etc)

Schools/day cares around the country are open and kids have no problem wearing masks all day and washing or sanitizing hands. I could see reserved times to allow a better child to CM ratio, but not closing them down.
I'm an elementary school teacher and I teach in person. The way schools are operating now, and the way they did in 2019, are quite different. Students are seated all during the workday in carefully spaced desks. Movement is limited and great care is taken that different students don't touch the same surfaces. That is not what the kids club is or can be like.

Last edited:
I'm an elementary school teacher and I teach in person. The way schools are operating now, and the way they did in 2019, are quite different. Students are seated all during the workday in carefully spaced desks. Movement is limited and great care is taken that different students don't touch the same surfaces. That is not what the kids club is or can be like.

I agree that schools aren’t being run in the same way as they did before but I’m not sure a school is the best comparison for kids club. I think kids club is more analogous to a recreational center. My DD is a competitive gymnast and her gymnastics center has been open since June. They host a team program, recreational classes and parents night out events... pre-covid, there was much more free movement amongst the kids but now they move the kids in smaller designated groups from one apparatus to the next. They have the children within the group maintain hygiene and distancing but the apparatus being used/touched aren’t cleaned in between THAT group of children. Instead, they’re wiped down before the next group comes to that apparatus. I could see them treating kids club similarly....with kids being checked in and assigned to a group. Red group is cooking in the lab, Blue group is on the iPads, etc.... and then they’d clean and switch. Obviously that’s not the same as the kids getting a free run and a lot of kids might not like it and it would require planning and maybe rsvp-ing for kids club.....but I could see something like that being put in place rather than just NO kids club at all.

We will refrain from putting deposits on any sailing until all restrictions are lifted.
A lot of the potential policies listed in this thread make it sound more like going to prison than on vacation!
Yah we are canceling our Dream b2b for June today and buying a DVC add-on to spend next Xmas there.

I agree that schools aren’t being run in the same way as they did before but I’m not sure a school is the best comparison for kids club. I think kids club is more analogous to a recreational center. My DD is a competitive gymnast and her gymnastics center has been open since June. They host a team program, recreational classes and parents night out events... pre-covid, there was much more free movement amongst the kids but now they move the kids in smaller designated groups from one apparatus to the next. They have the children within the group maintain hygiene and distancing but the apparatus being used/touched aren’t cleaned in between THAT group of children. Instead, they’re wiped down before the next group comes to that apparatus. I could see them treating kids club similarly....with kids being checked in and assigned to a group. Red group is cooking in the lab, Blue group is on the iPads, etc.... and then they’d clean and switch. Obviously that’s not the same as the kids getting a free run and a lot of kids might not like it and it would require planning and maybe rsvp-ing for kids club.....but I could see something like that being put in place rather than just NO kids club at all.
Yep, exactly—that was my thinking for the kids club. More planned small group programming with reserved times, rather than free roaming.

Every school is being done differently. Sure there is desk time but our kids also have indoor recess (too cold outdoors) where they play ball games together in the gym and art projects where they are touching stuff too, and music class where they handle instruments—they have to sanitize or wash hands before and after each activity (though again, given how the virus spreads through the air rather than on surfaces that is largely “covid theater”). Age is a big factor too—I can’t imagine a pre-school that has 3-year olds sitting at individual desks all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter