Abandon Ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be nice if we could just wait and see what they say instead of letting our negative thoughts get the better of us needlessly.

surely peoples expectations need to be managed as cruising when it returns will not be the same as it was. Burying ones head in the sand and saying la lal la I don't want to hear it only just makes the eventual reality harder to accept.

What about requiring contract tracing sensors while onboard?

Not an issue for me. We have a contact tracing Ap which works on Bluetooth in my country, so its something that is part of my life.

Not being able to do port excursions on our own. Being forced to do a group tour is a no-go. Unless it’s an itinerary that is beach only ports and we are bused as a group to a private beach. This we might consider. But we also like to shop on our own after a beach.

That's my deal breaker as well. Not going on a Disney excursion, nope, nope, nope.

There are already a couple of threads out there about whether folks would be willing to cruise if masks were required, and whether vaccines will be mandated to cruise.

My question is this: for those in favor of mandated masks and/or vaccines, is there ANY condition that you would NOT meet in order to be able to cruise again?

Right now, the only problem would be if I had to quarantine before or after. I don’t want to use my vacation time being stuck at home. I’d rather push back cruises and/or do something else. I’ll travel in my own province/country if it becomes a problem.

Not being able to do port excursions on our own. Being forced to do a group tour is a no-go. Unless it’s an itinerary that is beach only ports and we are bused as a group to a private beach. This we might consider. But we also like to shop on our own after a beach.

Luckily, there are plenty of excursions that bus people as a group to a private beach. These also tend to have shops/merchandise available.

Let me throw out some examples, just to get the ball rolling:

1. One way halls/stairs on the ships
2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you)
3. Mandatory vitamin D/zinc supplements
4. BMI limits
5. Elevator use by exception only, with sign up times, etc.
6. Quarantine times before and after embarkation
7. No daily cabin cleaning/turn down service
8. Sign-up times for shuffleboard, miniature golf, ping pong, or basketballs
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day
11. No childrens' clubs
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger

1.Easy, we already have that at work and in every shop we visit these days.

2. I doubt they would request this since most balconies are already separated by whitewall.

3. I don’t think they could force people to take supplements.

4. BMI not reliable and you can be super thin and still suffer from comorbidities.

5. They should already be reserved to people with limited mobility, IMO.

6. As mentioned earlier, my only deal breaker as I refuse to use vacation days to be stuck at home.

7. I have no problem with that.

8. No problem.

9. Aren’t breezy conditions safer? But they could limit the amount of people permitted on each deck for sure.

10. Nap time. Cool.

12. If they had to do that, room service would probably be free.

13. They would probably offer less shows, but more representations, with a reservation system. Mandatory masks in the theater.

Last edited:
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day

One thing I love on cruises is being outside and just look out over the ocean. Additionally, I book inside staterooms because I'm only in my room to sleep and get reading for the day/dinner. So # 9 and 10 are deal-breakers.

I think I would accept any of the others.

Whatever they do it should be logical and fact based and not inconsistent. For example, you must wear a mask on a plane. Okay, but everyone takes off the mask at the same time for about an hour while being served food. Ridiculous.

Also don't just pile on unneeded limitations. If masks are needed then one-way halls are not. If vaccine are required then masks should be optional. I know some doctors may tell us to keep wearing masks to be 100%, but they also say to not eat sugar and that isn't going to happen.

They should tell us the rules before we board and not constantly remind us over speakers or before any activity. Disney Springs plays an annoying message every few minutes. Once while entering is enough.

Whatever they do it should be logical and fact based and not inconsistent. For example, you must wear a mask on a plane. Okay, but everyone takes off the mask at the same time for about an hour while being served food. Ridiculous.

Also don't just pile on unneeded limitations. If masks are needed then one-way halls are not. If vaccine are required then masks should be optional. I know some doctors may tell us to keep wearing masks to be 100%, but they also say to not eat sugar and that isn't going to happen.

They should tell us the rules before we board and not constantly remind us over speakers or before any activity. Disney Springs plays an annoying message every few minutes. Once while entering is enough.

I agree about the constant reminding. I am told by every store I enter that my safety is their biggest concern. If that is the case, it is relatively new, because prior to 2020 I was never told that.

After the holidays, I think the scale might read "one at a time please" if I were to step on it.
A friend's parents went on a 3 month cruise from the UK to Australia and I said they'd have to widen the gangplank in Sydney for me after 3 months of eating on a cruise ship.

A friend's parents went on a 3 month cruise from the UK to Australia and I said they'd have to widen the gangplank in Sydney for me after 3 months of eating on a cruise ship.
Haha. I've thought about doing a repositioning cruise, but I think I might end up in the same predicament.

Pretty much none of the above. I think testing and vaccines should be sufficient. I don't want to sail on a ship that feels like I am visiting China. That is just stupid. Most of the fear about all of this has created a false narrative about it. You are six feet away from everyone in the open salt air with breezes blowing it away. If you are afraid of that, you should not sail. Period.

Pretty much none of the above. I think testing and vaccines should be sufficient. I don't want to sail on a ship that feels like I am visiting China. That is just stupid. Most of the fear about all of this has created a false narrative about it. You are six feet away from everyone in the open salt air with breezes blowing it away. If you are afraid of that, you should not sail. Period.
I would be OK with no restrictions whatsoever.

I would be OK with no restrictions whatsoever.
Me too. A cruise is a luxury experience, not an everyday grocery store stop. It should feel like a vacation, not a boot camp. But I hear what an earlier poster stated about just because we don't want to hear it doesn't mean it won't happen. I am frustrated that the cruise companies won't actually spell out what is actually required of you prior to final payment date, at least so far. Just some general " important safety measures" statements. If so much is going to be left off, like shows, and so many requirements of the passengers, we should know exactly what will be required before making a final payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter