Abandon Ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jane01jp

DIS Veteran
There are already a couple of threads out there about whether folks would be willing to cruise if masks were required, and whether vaccines will be mandated to cruise.

My question is this: for those in favor of mandated masks and/or vaccines, is there ANY condition that you would NOT meet in order to be able to cruise again?

Let me throw out some examples, just to get the ball rolling:

1. One way halls/stairs on the ships
2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you)
3. Mandatory vitamin D/zinc supplements
4. BMI limits
5. Elevator use by exception only, with sign up times, etc.
6. Quarantine times before and after embarkation
7. No daily cabin cleaning/turn down service
8. Sign-up times for shuffleboard, miniature golf, ping pong, or basketballs
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster
10. Confinement to quarters during certain times of day
11. No childrens' clubs
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger

2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you)
4. BMI limits
9. No one on upper decks during breezy conditions, since germs could carry further, faster
11. No childrens' clubs
12. Two meals per day, to accommodate more distanced dining with an option for an additional charge room service for a third meal
13. Lottery system for shows and movies with a guarantee of one show per passenger

honestly right now, as someone who has worked straight through since March without a break, and leaves the house less than once a month, I would be ok with ALL of this. I haven't been further than 5 km from my house in months, and the only human contact I have is with my mom, who I live with. If this is what it takes to go on a cruise and to be somewhere other than my house, then so be it, when does check in open.

honestly right now, as someone who has worked straight through since March without a break, and leaves the house less than once a month, I would be ok with ALL of this. I haven't been further than 5 km from my house in months, and the only human contact I have is with my mom, who I live with. If this is what it takes to go on a cruise and to be somewhere other than my house, then so be it, when does check in open.
It sounds like you really could use a break!

It sounds like you really could use a break!
thank, I work from home but I'm near burn out stage and would give anything to be somewhere different for a few days. I live in a suburb of Dublin and had booked a hotel in Dublin city centre, about 10km from where I live for a few days this week, but my country has just gone back into a full lockdown again so the hotel cancelled my stay.

I have never been on a cruise and had booked my first DCL cruise on The Magic in July 2019 for September 2020. That was cancelled. I am now re booked for the September 201 Norwegian Fjords cruise and really I don't care what restrictions or new policies DCL implement, I just want to be on the ship.

I think #4 BMI limits is pretty intrusive. That's akin to having to get on a scale before boarding.
I agree. But, there is an extremely high correlation between very high BMI and COVID complications. Also, I have been on quite a few scenic flights in which they weigh you before you get on. It is always confidential and only the tour operator can see your weight.

Last edited:

thank, I work from home but I'm near burn out stage and would give anything to be somewhere different for a few days. I live in a suburb of Dublin and had booked a hotel in Dublin city centre, about 10km from where I live for a few days this week, but my country has just gone back into a full lockdown again so the hotel cancelled my stay.

I have never been on a cruise and had booked my first DCL cruise on The Magic in July 2019 for September 2020. That was cancelled. I am now re booked for the September 201 Norwegian Fjords cruise and really I don't care what restrictions or new policies DCL implement, I just want to be on the ship.
We went on the Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2016 and it was our very favorite itinerary. I very much hope you will be able to go.

For me, all that matters is to feel safe and have fun. I can take responsibility for the fun part and make the best of things and have a good time in a multitude of situations, but would be pretty heavily reliant on the operator to feel safe.

I am not sure what the optics of "safe" looks like exactly, but I think I will be able to make that call once we get some policy information.

That said, once I am personally vaccinated and others can also do so, I would be willing to consider a little more "risk."

Last edited:

I wouldn’t have a problem if the tried but I don’t think people would follow it, (like grocery stores)

2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you

Nope. If I paid for a balcony room, I would want to use it whenever the mood struck.

Sure. I take a ton of vitamins anyways

4. BMI limits

I wouldn’t have a problem with it but let’s face it that the Us is ver pro fat and the vast majority of Americans are considered obese

Not a deal breaker for me.

Nope. I can’t take off an extra week vacation to quarantine near port before and after the cruise.

Nope. Unless the price reflects the fact that my room isn’t being serviced.

Nope. We like to be spontaneous and experience different activities when we are in the mood.

Nope. More crowded everywhere else

Absolutely not

11. No childrens' clubs
I dint have small kids but I would guess that people who do would have a big problem with this.

2 meals a day would be fine with me but we are not huge eaters. I would assume that snack cart/quick food would still be available in this scenario.

Nope. If I am paying to be entertained, the the cruise ship would need to figure out a way to accommodate everyone that they allowed to book.

I realize these are hypotheticals but If your list is any kind of indication of what cruising will look like in the near future, I will take a hard pass.

I wouldn’t have a problem if the tried but I don’t think people would follow it, (like grocery stores)

2. Designated hours that you can use your balcony (to prevent people on their balconies on either side of you, above or below you

Nope. If I paid for a balcony room, I would want to use it whenever the mood struck.

Sure. I take a ton of vitamins anyways

4. BMI limits

I wouldn’t have a problem with it but let’s face it that the Us is ver pro fat and the vast majority of Americans are considered obese

Not a deal breaker for me.

Nope. I can’t take off an extra week vacation to quarantine near port before and after the cruise.

Nope. Unless the price reflects the fact that my room isn’t being serviced.

Nope. We like to be spontaneous and experience different activities when we are in the mood.

Nope. More crowded everywhere else

Absolutely not

11. No childrens' clubs
I dint have small kids but I would guess that people who do would have a big problem with this.

2 meals a day would be fine with me but we are not huge eaters. I would assume that snack cart/quick food would still be available in this scenario.

Nope. If I am paying to be entertained, the the cruise ship would need to figure out a way to accommodate everyone that they allowed to book.

I realize these are hypotheticals but If your list is any kind of indication of what cruising will look like in the near future, I will take a hard pass.
I think the more of these kinds of rules you have, the more the relationship between the cruise staff and passengers changes from customer service to rule enforcement. Also, I think there would be lots of customer complaints both against the rule enforcement and against violations of the rules.

There are already a couple of threads out there about whether folks would be willing to cruise if masks were required, and whether vaccines will be mandated to cruise.

My question is this: for those in favor of mandated masks and/or vaccines, is there ANY condition that you would NOT meet in order to be able to cruise again?
Not being able to do port excursions on our own. Being forced to do a group tour is a no-go. Unless it’s an itinerary that is beach only ports and we are bused as a group to a private beach. This we might consider. But we also like to shop on our own after a beach.

Not being able to do port excursions on our own. Being forced to do a group tour is a no-go. Unless it’s an itinerary that is beach only ports and we are bused as a group to a private beach. This we might consider. But we also like to shop on our own after a beach.
Those are good adds!

Sure... a lot more money.

4. BMI limits
11. No childrens' clubs

1. Don't care, we do this at my work already (though its still only essential people in the building - I only go in once or twice a week to do some hands on stuff and then get out as quickly as possible).
2. Given that they are outside, with partitions, I doubt this would ever happen. At that point they would simply not book people next to each other as there is no way to enforce this. I'd still go, but maybe wouldn't bother with a balcony depending on how it's done.
3. Not gonna happen. Good luck enforcing it as it is invisible. (I wouldn't care as I already take vitamin D regularly, even in the summer, and highly recommend it if you don't live in a year round sunny area. Even better than caffeine.)
4. Laughable. They'd never fill a ship. Still don't care, you have to abide by weight limits for some things already (helicopters, ziplines, etc).
5. Don't care, but again not going to happen. Masks would be on inside in public areas which is fine. My guess is they will clean them more often, and they will have to limit the number of people at a given time and have lines to use them. Our post office for instance only allows 5 people inside at a time, and my office elevators are one or two at a time. We already deal with this.
6. It'd work for me just fine, as I work remote most of the time anyway. I'd tell my work I couldn't go in for X number of days and a coworker would pick up the slack. We already lean on each other like this as needed - they owe me at this point. :crazy:
7. That's fine, we don't care about service on land and if the towels dried quicker/we didn't get in the ocean and take extra showers almost every day we wouldn't need it at sea either.
8. We already rarely do this. If anything we'd maybe use it more as someone is always enjoying it when we'd like to.
9. This is against every current recommendation.
10. This would only be done in an outbreak. If they did randomly say ahead of time here are the hours you are stuck in your room then it would depend on when and how long. Overnight everyone is asleep to do deep cleaning? Fine. Four hours every day in the middle of the day? Nah. More likely they would close off certain areas to everyone instead of locking us in our rooms like they do when they are painting or doing dangerous maintenance.
11. We don't have kids.
12. This sounds like what they already do... you get two meals a day, and can pay for a third room service meal if you want (or grab food elsewhere). Included food at (almost) all hours of the day is a cornerstone of cruising. This would be one of the very last things they would do, and I cant think of a single reason they'd take away a meal and make it paid only due to covid. Its either safe to eat a third meal or isn't and it greatly benefits them to provide included food of some sort to a truly captive audience. People WOULD bring their own food aboard and make a mess with it.
13. Tokyo Resort does this for some of their shows, with some standby seating available as well. I still go there so.. sure.

This thread is certainly a downer. I can come up with lots of things they COULD do, but none of this seems very likely. It'd be nice if we could just wait and see what they say instead of letting our negative thoughts get the better of us needlessly.

This thread is certainly a downer. I can come up with lots of things they COULD do, but none of this seems very likely. It'd be nice if we could just wait and see what they say instead of letting our negative thoughts get the better of us needlessly.
With all due respect, the thread about mandatory vaccines is also conjecture - positive in the views of some and negative in the views of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!