A WDW "Lifer" Takes a Last Minute Trip to DLR--Some Comparisons and Observations.

Another thing I should mention...DLR proves just how bad Future World and DHS are. At WDW, TSMM and Soarin' are 90+ minute "must do" attractions. At DCA, with lots of attractions to choose from, TSMM doesn't even warrant FP status, and Soarin' was practically "walk on" at 10:30 this morning. Those two rides are "also rans" at DLR.

What did you think about the projector upgrades and screen repairs at DCA? I haven't been back since the upgrade, but I'm thinking I will skip Soarin' at WDW because it's not worth a line (or RD gladiator combat) when I can go back to DLR and see the improved version.

What did you think about the projector upgrades and screen repairs at DCA?
Definitely "better" but if people are looking for an "upgrade" the way that HDTV is an upgrade from SDTV, they will be disappointed. The film is clean and sharper, but the resolution did not seem like an "OMG" upgrade. Still, it is nice not to have a hair on the screen!

Second, I am gobsmacked over how many times Disney Imagineering did not take the effort to “improve” upon the second of two “identical” attractions when versions of each were placed in the two parks. For example, PoTC appeared first in DL and then at WDW. You would think that the second one would be “better” for the simple reason that new ideas might have been realized. But no. DL’s PoTC is superior to WDW’s and by more than a little. And DL’s Haunted Mansion is better than WDW’s newer model (if only by a bit). And DL’s It’s A Small World is far superior to WDW’s, (though I can see why they did not put the queue outside in Florida). But the exterior? C’mon! And WDW’s Tower of Terror is a full 10 years older than the one at DL, yet it is way better than the newer model. The two Big Thunder Mountain Railroads were built around the same time, so we’ll call that a draw in terms of “newness”, but I like WDW’s better. Of course, it is not always the case that the original is better. For example, I prefer Soarin’ at WDW, but that has more to do with the queue. Same with TSMM. And Little Mermaid. WDW seems to make improvements when it comes to queues.

Big reason why the second version is most rides isn't as good - money.

Tower of Terror at California and Paris were both built on the cheap to try and prop up lame parks. Pirates at WDW was rushed as original guests complained that it was at DL and not MK.

Big reason why the second version is most rides isn't as good - money.
I was talking to my brother about this last night and he said the same thing, using Tower of Terror as an example as well. At WDW, the elevator car gets detached from the chamber and moves along a track laterally before entering the "dropping chamber" which is a very cool element. At DCA, it does not do that. Space couldn't have been a concern. Instead, it is likely that the builders figured that the extra cost of building the ride so that it could move along a track for 30 or 40 feet just wasn't worth it, given that people get on the ride so that they can drop. In my opinion, it was a bad miscalculation.

You walk very very quickly. ...it takes more than four minutes for us to walk from the monorail to Trader Sam's.
Walked it today for lunch just to see. :scratchin

From the turnstile at the exit of the Downtown Disney monorail station to the door of Trader Sam's (cutting through the Adventure Tower of the Disneyland Hotel) took exactly 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Blazing hot today, and very crowded with D23 conventioneers pouring in. Disneyland had "Magic Morning" hour for DLR and Good Neighbor hotel guests starting at 7:00 a.m.. We were in the park from 7:10-11:25 and then had lunch. Too hot and crowded to spend the afternoon in the park so we will go back tonight. Today's observations...

• Space Mountain (with its side-by-side seating and soundtrack) is better here at DL.
  • Splash Mountain (with its single-file bobsled seating) is inferior to the one at WDW.
  • The dinosaur diorama that is part of the Railroad is just bizarre. When I see dinosaurs like that, I expect to see Bill Nye the Science Guy.

Your post pretty much summed up why I love the Disney parks in Tokyo. They took the better versions of the rides we have here AND spent money to make them even better, plus created completely unique attractions. It's sad that those parks PROVE imagineering could do AMAZING things, but they just don't bother in our American parks. :(

Loved your report! My husband and I grew up in CA, so we grew up with Disneyland. We have lived on the East Coast for the past 15 years, so we have also come to love WDW. We don't really compare the two. There are things we love about each. The thing we love most about DL is that it just seems like you can feel Walt's presence when you go there. A lot of little things are not perfect there (like having the city of Anaheim right outside the park doors), but that is because some of those things have been there since Walt first opened the park. We have grown to love those imperfections, because they are a part of Disney history.

We have alternated DLR and WDW for the last 10 years. I love things about each one.
I like Cinderella's Castle more than Aurora's but I love the walk through attraction in Aurora's.
I prefer CRT to Ariels Grotto (the Princess meal at DCA)
I think almost all ride versions are better at DLA and prefer the compactness of it.
DLR drives me nuts with how late it announces hours, party dates etc and I don't like how in "off peak" the entertainment schedule dwindles to weekends only even though you pay the same.
I prefer Wishes to RDCT but haven't seen DF yet.
I really like all the extras that can be done at WDW like more variety to the character meals and pirates and pals cruises etc.

I was talking to my brother about this last night and he said the same thing, using Tower of Terror as an example as well. At WDW, the elevator car gets detached from the chamber and moves along a track laterally before entering the "dropping chamber" which is a very cool element. At DCA, it does not do that. Space couldn't have been a concern. Instead, it is likely that the builders figured that the extra cost of building the ride so that it could move along a track for 30 or 40 feet just wasn't worth it, given that people get on the ride so that they can drop. In my opinion, it was a bad miscalculation.

Funny I prefer the DCA TOT over DHS specifically because it doesn't move forward to another chamber....I think it makes it less suspenseful because it is so obvious when the drops are going to start

We are WDW vets, who fell in love with DLR and have been alternating between the two for the last several years. Your original post has brilliantly described why we love DLR. We wholeheartedly agree with about 95% of it. Paint the Night- Incredible! DH doesn't care that much about the parades, and even he is in love with it. After seeing the whole thing our first night, we wound up watching all or part of it 2 more nights!

RSR is amazing! RSR is even more amazing at night- like a different ride. I'm glad you found the single rider line. One afternoon last month when the line was 65 minutes, the single rider line was 5 minutes. We rode 3 times in a row.

The only things I would differ with on your post is that I prefer Soarin and TSMM at DLR because they have shorter lines! Only at DLR, can you walk up to Soarin in the middle of the afternoon in July and say- "Oh we don't need to pull a FP, it is only a 20 minute wait- let's just get in line". I think we have only pulled a FP for it once or twice in the last several years, and even then we are pulling FPs in the middle of the afternoon- something that back in the FP- days could about never be done at WDW. As for TSM, we don't like that it doesn't have FP at all at DLR, but the line is consistently 30 to 45 minutes, and occasionally you can find it at 20, so we do like that part of it. We have waited over 20 minutes at WDW with a FP. I also cringed when you said FP+ might have helped you one day- one of the things we love best about DLR right now is NOT having to deal with FP+!

Last edited:
I love Disneyland. I think the only reason I default to WDW is really silly, but its the whole planning a long vacation aspect. You know, the multiple parks, the 100's of restaurants, the ability to pout/complain over every little thing. Proximity isn't a factor because I live right smack in the middle of both of em. DLR is just more solid, drama free, good for a few days or less kinda place, I need my drama! :o Good report, I'm glad you had fun.

I agree with much of what you wrote. To me Indy is the absolute best Disney attraction ever. I hate Dinosaur going all the way back to the beginning when it was Countdown to Extinction. Who decided to totally destroy Indy by creating that abomination?
I always wish they would take the WDW POTC queue & the DL POTC ride to build the ultimate POTC attraction. I've always enjoyed taking my time through the WDW queue and was thrilled the first time I got to take the left side instead of the right. I love the two different experiences.
RSR rocks big time over TT.
The only good thing about The Little Mermaid is the interactive queue @ WDW.

Sorry this post a better fit 0n trip reports board. Thanks Danny

I'm back home again, so I thought I would get back to a few questions and comments...

What did you think of the food? I would have given the edge to WDW some years ago but I'm not sure if that is still true.
Boy, this one is hard to call. I think it depends a lot on your style of eating. DLR seems to have more "stands and carts" serving theme park food, whereas WDW has more substantial restaurants with immersive theming. For example, DCA doesn't really have anything that compares to Sci-Fi, or 50's Prime Time. It has Carthay Circle, which is the functional equivalent of Brown Derby. But otherwise, I found the Table Service options lacking. We went to the Wine Country Trattoria the last time we were there during the renovation, as part of the World of Color package and were disappointed in our meal. This time I treated my brother to dinner at Carthay Circle. It was good, but not up to the level of several of the reviews that I had read and heard in podcasts.

And Disneyland, while it has Blue Bayou (which is almost impossible to get into), doesn't have anything that compares to Crystal Palace or Liberty Tree Tavern or Be Our Guest. If you are looking for "street food", DLR wins, IMO. If you are looking for a nice Table Service meal, WDW wins, IMO, and to me, it isn't even a fair fight. And when you expand beyond the parks, WDW's advantage gets even more pronounced. The vast number of restaurants in the resorts widens the gap. The DLR hotels only have a few restaurants and several of them, (Napa Rose and Steak 55) are high end. Themed places like Ohana, Park Fare and Whispering Canyon are missing from DLR.

So if I had to call a winner, based on how I like to dine while on vacation (or anytime, for that matter), it has to be WDW. I'm not a corn dog or churro kind of guy. If that describes you, then DLR is top notch.

The only things I would differ with on your post is that I prefer Soarin and TSMM at DLR because they have shorter lines!
It's hard to argue with that logic. Soarin' at DLR was never a 110 minute wait even on days that people were calling "really crowded". But still, (and this probably sounds petty, but when it comes to Disney, I crave attention to detail), when you exit out of Soarin' at DCA, the "magic" is missing. I just hate the way they themed that ride to look like the back alley of an airport hangar. And one time when we went on ToT, we boarded our elevator on the "upper level". There was absolutely no theming up there. Instead of walking straight into the elevator car, you had to walk through a little bit of a hallway first, and the theme was all but ruined. Same thing upon exiting the elevator after the ride. Not sure what they were thinking.

Sorry this post a better fit 0n trip reports board. Thanks Danny
No apologies necessary. I thought about putting the first post in the Trip Report thread, but I was on the fence as to whether this was a true "Trip Report" or a discussion piece on the differences between East and West. It sort of straddles the two.

Thanks for the response. DL is in our crosshairs so this is good info. Personally I like both street food and table service so it sounds like a tie for me. :)

Today's observations...

• Space Mountain (with its side-by-side seating and soundtrack) is better here at DL.
  • Splash Mountain (with its single-file bobsled seating) is inferior to the one at WDW.

Definitely agree with this. Space Mt is better at DL and everyone knows it. But being a Splash-tronaut, I notice who's got it better and WDW has it for sure, but for different reasons. With a family of 5, I like the single row because we can all fit without someone being by himself (me). BUT, and it's a big BUT..... Splash Mt at WDW moves at 3 ft per second whereas DL moves at 4ft per second. Because of this, you can really take in all those stories and scenes at WDW. At DL, I almost feel it zips by to fast, pun intended. It's still my favorite ride, but I'd like it if it moved slower. But because it can't fit the people in each log that WDW can, they have to keep it moving. At least, that's what my research tells me.

I love Disneyland. I think the only reason I default to WDW is really silly, but its the whole planning a long vacation aspect. You know, the multiple parks, the 100's of restaurants, the ability to pout/complain over every little thing. DLR is just more solid, drama free, good for a few days or less kinda place, I need my drama! .

This is where WDW beats DLR. Because of all the Disney-owned hotels and Disney TS restaurants, you have to plan a lot. Now, I don't like the idea FP planning and haven't been back to WDW since FP+ was implemented. But being able to choose a awesomely themed hotel, then get great themed food experiences "paid" by the dining plan is something I love. It gives you that huge vacation feel. Definitely....lots of drama. I'll admit, when I first came to DL, I was so whiny on these boards and that comes from the WDW frame of mind. By my second big trip, the complaints were cut in half. And now it's just "Let's go and have fun." Although, ask me that again if they cancel fireworks two nights in a row on my next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter