A WDW "Lifer" Takes a Last Minute Trip to DLR--Some Comparisons and Observations.

JimmyV

Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
I had to go out to Orange County on business for a series of meetings with some time off in between them. Bad weather in Chicago on Monday caused several people (including me) to get stuck overnight in Chicago, so Tuesday’s meeting was postponed until later in the week. Wednesday was to be an “off” day in any event. I got re-booked to SNA on a flight first thing Tuesday morning and arrived at John Wayne airport at 10:00. After collecting my luggage and making some business calls, I found myself at my hotel in Anaheim around noon with nothing else to do for the day. Hmmmmm. I can’t think of anything to do for the rest of the day….he said, NEVER! So I bought a park pass in my hotel lobby and walked over to Disneyland, entering the park, unexpectedly and without an agenda, at 12:30 and stayed until 11:00. Today, on my scheduled off day, I went to California Adventure as I had always intended, though by “intended”, I mean, with one week’s notice. This was to be my second visit to DCA, with the first being when the massive re-do was underway and construction walls were everywhere. Below are some observations on some differences that I observed between DL and WDW.

First, let’s talk about proximity and scale. I prefer the spacing of WDW and how each park is an entity unto itself with the magic and theming concentrated on a specific area with no “bleed over” from place to place. But…I prefer how at DL, you can walk from Space Mountain to Radiator Springs in a couple of minutes, or hop on the monorail and have a frozen concoction at Trader Sam’s in about 4 minutes, then head back to the park without missing a beat. If you find that those two sentences directly contradict one another, congratulations. That was the point. There is a lot to be said about both approaches. For people who are used to WDW and who think that they wouldn’t like the “compactness” of DLR, you might just be surprised.

Second, I am gobsmacked over how many times Disney Imagineering did not take the effort to “improve” upon the second of two “identical” attractions when versions of each were placed in the two parks. For example, PoTC appeared first in DL and then at WDW. You would think that the second one would be “better” for the simple reason that new ideas might have been realized. But no. DL’s PoTC is superior to WDW’s and by more than a little. And DL’s Haunted Mansion is better than WDW’s newer model (if only by a bit). And DL’s It’s A Small World is far superior to WDW’s, (though I can see why they did not put the queue outside in Florida). But the exterior? C’mon! And WDW’s Tower of Terror is a full 10 years older than the one at DL, yet it is way better than the newer model. The two Big Thunder Mountain Railroads were built around the same time, so we’ll call that a draw in terms of “newness”, but I like WDW’s better. Of course, it is not always the case that the original is better. For example, I prefer Soarin’ at WDW, but that has more to do with the queue. Same with TSMM. And Little Mermaid. WDW seems to make improvements when it comes to queues.

Third, please don’t tell me that the Indiana Jones ride is the “same ride as Dinosaur”. Please! Don’t insult my intelligence. The vehicles may be similar. And maybe even the track schematics are similar (or the same…I don’t know). But Indy blows Dino out of the water. It is fantastically themed with skeletons, skulls, bottomless pits of magma, and snakes…why did it have to be snakes!

Fourth, please don’t tell me that Radiator Springs Racers is the “same ride as Test Track”. The vehicles might be similar. The track mechanics might be identical. But it all stops right there. Test Track used black lighting effects that have all the charm of a dark ride fun house at your local fire department fund raiser carnival. RSR is Disney’s single greatest themed attraction in North America. Test Track takes you for a speed lap that goes through a CM parking lot. RSR is set among awesome scenery. I’m sorry. I don’t care how repetitive it might be to replicate that attraction in WDW with TT already in existence. But DO IT! If WDW can have Dumbo, TriceraTops and Magic Carpets, it can have TT and RSR.

Fifth, how could there not be a discussion of FP- vs FP+. For my day at DL, FP+ might have helped. No way to know. But by the time I entered the park at 12:30 (on a day that locals were calling a “9” in terms of crowds), the lines were long and most FP return times were well into the evening. FP+ might have allowed me to book some times for the early to mid-afternoon from the airport in Chicago while I waited to board my morning flight. Or maybe the FPs would have been all gone. Can’t tell. Either way, FP- was basically useless to me at DL. At DCA, however, FP+ would probably have hurt me a bit. Crowds were not too bad today, and I arrived at RD (on a day with morning EMH that I did not qualify for), and made a beeline for the FP machine at RSR. 3 minutes after RD, my return time was 9:35-10:35. It is sort of like what TSMM used to be like at DHS, but not quite as bad. The FP line was never an hour long. In any event, had there been FP+ in effect, there is no doubt that they would have been “sold out” of FPs before I could have gotten one since this was a last minute trip. So having FP- helped me. (Full disclosure…I used the single rider line after using my FP, and that feature shaved a 75 minute wait down to 10 minutes. So it isn’t as if I would have gotten shut out.)

Sixth, Frozen does not seem to dominate at DLR the way it does at WDW.

Seventh, table saving at QS restaurants and line cutting are alive and well at DLR.

Eighth, (and finally, at least for now)…all you WDW loyalists should be down on your knees praying, and wishing on your wishing stars that WDW brings “Paint the Night” to Florida. Best… Nighttime… Parade… Ever. It takes lighting effects to another (digital) level, while hugging close to the original concepts of the Main Street Electrical Parade and SpectroMagic, including keeping Michael Iceberg’s “Baroque Hoedown” as a backbeat. And the “Disneyland Forever” fireworks show is awesome. But don’t expect that to come east…until WDW turns 40. That’s it for now.

I am back at my off-site hotel waiting for my brother who lives in L.A. (and who used to work at WDW for 12 years) to come join me for the evening, and for the full day tomorrow. It’ll be fun to get his perspective since he is somewhat of a regular here.

Nice report. DL is amazing and well worth the trip.

WDW is the queue resort. The queue at WDW PotC never gets enough credit in these discussions. Far better than DL though the ride is far less.

Though for my money, Kilimanjaro Safari is the best themed Disney attraction in North America.

My family kept commenting on the difference in some rides as well. :thumbsup2 We also liked the Tiki Birds que better at DL. We could get a Dole Whip and sit on a bench inside the area waiting for the show instead of standing in line at WDW. My DD also liked the little pre-show with the tiki gods better than the one at WDW. And yes the Paint the Night parade and the Fireworks, wow. We love Wishes and MSEP but it will feel like a let down next year compared to Paint the Night. My DS also said that Fantasmic at WDW will never feel the same after seeing it at DL, that dragon was impressive.:goodvibes

And yes we were quite surprised to see no line for Olaf at all. Even A&E FP were easier to get than I thought they would be.

Nice report. DL is amazing and well worth the trip.

WDW is the queue resort. The queue at WDW PotC never gets enough credit in these discussions. Far better than DL though the ride is far less.

Though for my money, Kilimanjaro Safari is the best themed Disney attraction in North America.
True the queue is better but I think most would rather have the better ride than a better queue.

The queue at WDW PotC never gets enough credit in these discussions.
It will start to get more recognition now that people have to spend 40 minutes in the queue, absorbing all of its details. In the past, (pre-FP+), people zipped past much of the queue because the wait was rarely more than 15-20 minutes tops.

Another thing I should mention...DLR proves just how bad Future World and DHS are. At WDW, TSMM and Soarin' are 90+ minute "must do" attractions. At DCA, with lots of attractions to choose from, TSMM doesn't even warrant FP status, and Soarin' was practically "walk on" at 10:30 this morning. Those two rides are "also rans" at DLR.

All these glowing stories about how much better DLR is than WDW will likely lead to just the reverse happening.

All these glowing stories about how much better DLR is than WDW will likely lead to just the reverse happening.
Lest my original post be overread, I would not go on record as saying that DLR is so much better than WDW. For example, despite their attempts to upgrade the Disneyland Hotel and build a "Deluxe" Grand Californian Hotel, the resorts at DLR can't hold a candle to WDW. In fact, with a 7 minute walk to my "off site" Sheraton, and what I am paying for it, it becomes hard to recommend staying on site at DLR, something I would never debate at WDW. But I am surprised at how much better some of the "older" rides are at DLR especially given the fact that Imagineering had a chance to up their game with the newer ones. And finally, the game will change if/when DHS gets a multi-billion dollar makeover. DCA went from "Hunh??" to "Better than any park in Florida not named Magic Kingdom". It is hard to overstate how important that re-build was. And if DHS gets a similar re-build, look out! WDW got New Fantasyland. DLR got a re-built park. No doubt who came out ahead. As an aside, New Fantasyland got Little Mermaid as one of its central elements. That same ride at DCA is a complete afterthought (waste of money). Today, at peak time, the wait was 3 minutes. No lie. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and in movie terms, was a "bomb" in the magnitude of The Lone Ranger or John Carter. So its not all rainbows and unicorns out there. But their "mistake" is a "headliner" attraction at WDW.

I've been to both WDW and DL a couple times each in the past year and a half, and I love both! The smaller scale in DL is awesome for families with small children -- lots less walking and waiting for inter-park transportation (especially staying at the Grand Californian!). It blows my mind how Little Mermaid ride is walk-on all day in DL, compared to its long lines at WDW. One morning, my 2-year-old and I rode it 3 times in a row without getting off, because there was literally no one waiting to get one. And Anna and Elsa! I walked up at 10:00 and pulled a FP for 12:30 that day! California Screamin' is the best roller coaster hands down. And Radiator Springs at night is the most beautiful thing in all of Disney.

But as much as I love DL, I can't abandon WDW -- I'd miss Cinderella's Castle (Aurora's is a shack by comparison!), World Showcase and all the character dining options, to name a few.

Thanks for this post! I went to DLR for the first time last summer (after growing up going to and working at WDW before I left Florida in 2002), and I'm currently OBSESSED with DLR.

I love the great, thoughtful food options at QS places. I love the theming. I love the ease of park-hopping.

Also, I love that I can stay at a Marriott property and still see the fireworks and be within walking distance of the Esplanade. ;)

And, duh, Radiator Springs Racers.

It is a good overall review.
I will slightly disagree about BTMRR. At WDW they did a "renovation" and stopped the moving rocks inside the 3rd lift hill. In DL, they renovated BTMRR and added a new, nifty TNT lighting and explosion effect

Great report Jimmy. And I couldn't agree more with just about everything you said. The only exception is RSR since we haven't experienced that yet.

What did you think of the food? I would have given the edge to WDW some years ago but I'm not sure if that is still true.

Agree, great report. I would add that world of color water / laser show at DCA is also awesome and I also love Blue Bayou restaurant for atmosphere

Hopefully ;)
It seems that 20 years ago, DL was just a MK with a proper Fantasyland....but WDW had MK, EPCOT, DHS, DTD...there was hardly any reason to merit a longer trip to DL.
But DL improved and is now a "Must Visit" for any Disney fan.

Your review might have been different about 1.5 weeks ago. I, a Disneyland-lover, nearly ended up in the headlines under "brawl at Disneyland" because of the heat and the lines and the crowds and the rude rude rude fellow guests there. It was my worst trip, anywhere, ever, yet. We bought APs our first day at the ticket booths, and if we had not done that we would have bagged it that first day and gone to visit my brother in San Diego. Even by the end, when it hadn't gotten better, I wished we had just done that.

I'm very glad you are having a good visit, but 1.5 weeks ago might have been a different story.

I prefer how at DL, you can walk from Space Mountain to Radiator Springs in a couple of minutes, or hop on the monorail and have a frozen concoction at Trader Sam’s in about 4 minutes, then head back to the park without missing a beat.

You walk very very quickly. I can't get from Space to RSR in a "couple of minutes". I always miss one monorail and have to wait for the second one after that because of the lines, and it takes more than four minutes for us to walk from the monorail to Trader Sam's.

that has more to do with the queue. Same with TSMM.

I despise the WDW TSMM line. Loud, ridiculous, echoey, awful. I will take 40-45 minutes in the DCA queue over 5 minutes in the DHS queue.

Indiana Jones ride is the “same ride as Dinosaur”. Please! Don’t insult my intelligence. The vehicles may be similar. And maybe even the track schematics are similar (or the same…I don’t know).

But that's ALL people are talking about when they say they are similar. The track and the vehicles.

At DCA, with lots of attractions to choose from, TSMM doesn't even warrant FP status, and Soarin' was practically "walk on" at 10:30 this morning. Those two rides are "also rans" at DLR.

you are very lucky to have gotten a walkon for Soarin'. Even at light crowd times I have never ever gotten that. I'm not sure what "also ran" means, but since I know that 45 minutes is as long as I can wait for TSMM and anything beyond that makes the ride feel like fun, obviously it often gets to at least that mark. Just because it doesn't hit 90 anymore doesn't mean people don't appreciate it. It almost seems like that's how you feel? Because you lucked into short lines it means people don't like...the queues?

DCA went from "Hunh??" to "Better than any park in Florida not named Magic Kingdom".

I flat out 100% disagree that DCA changed for the better THAT much post-gabillion-dollar refurb. It made it, perhaps, happier for the masses, but there were plenty of us who LOVED that park totally and with all our hearts before Mickey came off CA Screamin' and went onto the Wheel of Death.

And it's better than MK. And was before refurb, too, in my family's opinion.

As an aside, New Fantasyland got Little Mermaid as one of its central elements. That same ride at DCA is a complete afterthought (waste of money). Today, at peak time, the wait was 3 minutes. No lie. It sticks out like a sore thumb,

Again, a low line to you means a bad ride? As far as I can tell, the ride is exactly the same as at MK. It's the line that's different. And that ride, either place, gets worse for every extra minute you wait. I don't even like the movie it's based on, but if I've had a short line, I love the ride. Long line? Forgetabout'it, I hate the ride.

It's funny how you say you're liking the visit, but I disagree with so much LOL.

But then, I had a craptacular visit the other week, with horrendous lines and rotten fellow-man experiences...and that's not your experience this week. Luckyduck.

And finally, the game will change if/when DHS gets a multi-billion dollar makeover. DCA went from "Hunh??" to "Better than any park in Florida not named Magic Kingdom". It is hard to overstate how important that re-build was. And if DHS gets a similar re-build, look out!

I completely agree with this comment. We were one of those weird families who actually enjoyed the "old" DCA very much, but since the makeover, it is incredible. All we can do is hope that they approach the refurb of DHS with the same level of imagination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter