A Post Open-Heart Surgery/Anniversary Trip Report!!! Updated 5/30 PTR started!!

For $100 refundable deposit, I would have linked that wheelchair to my jacket/backpack somehow to make sure I didn't lose it! :rotfl2:

Interesting. Do they think that people will just drive into DTD and make off with a wheelchair? Come to think of it, that has probably happened. And it would probably be pretty easy to do that because you have a lot of people driving in from all over the place.

Raglan Rd looks great. I know I said this already, but I can't wait to eat there in May. Loved your PP pics - very cute!!!!!!

Woo-hoo, another update!:goodvibes

Ok, why do those two picks look so identical? Is this the Twilight Zone or something??:confused3 Very cute pic though!

Wow, I wonder why you have to put down that hefty deposit at DTD but not elsewhere on property? Weird. Maybe people are stealing wheelchairs and then selling them on the street!:laughing:

I'm not sick of you pink coat yet, it's a fabulous color!:thumbsup2

Your Goofy's Candy Company backstory almost made cry! You poor thing!:hug: I can completely understand the reasoning behind the pretzel rods and why they were so important to you.:goodvibes I'm sure it tasted incredible, good choices too!

Tell Wingnut his Raglan Road review (say that ten times fast!) was excellent! He did a great job and now I'm kinda craving bread pudding...

Man, the weather was most definitely NOT your friend this trip. I'd have been sick to death of wearing a coat or layers. Tell me it changes, please!

I'm kind of caught up Stringbean. I say "kind of" because I confess, I did some skimming. But...it's a great TR Stringbean -- you're an outstanding writer!

That is a very hefty deposit!!! You would think it would be universal across the parks and DTD.

For $100 refundable deposit, I would have linked that wheelchair to my jacket/backpack somehow to make sure I didn't lose it! :rotfl2:

Interesting. Do they think that people will just drive into DTD and make off with a wheelchair? Come to think of it, that has probably happened. And it would probably be pretty easy to do that because you have a lot of people driving in from all over the place.

Wow, I wonder why you have to put down that hefty deposit at DTD but not elsewhere on property? Weird. Maybe people are stealing wheelchairs and then selling them on the street!:laughing:

It really was a pretty pricey deposit for a wheelchair! I must admit, it did make me slightly disconcerted when that came up (I had already been wary of having it around in the public space, and leaving it outside, and this just fueled my suspicions of WHY they would charge so much!). I wanted to think (and still do) that no one would make off with a wheelchair, but unfortunately, public areas like that are probably much harder to control (it's a bit more obvious to see a park wheelchair being rolled out of, say, Epcot.)

Thankfully, we had no problems, and the chair was always where we had left it. :thumbsup2 But I did briefly want to duct-tape myself to the chair in the beginning (Wingnut put the brakes on that plan pretty quickly :confused3)

I hope to see some pictures of you and Wingnut sans coats. Meaning, the weather decides to warm up.....here's for wishful thinking.:goodvibes

I have never been so grateful for and sick of my coat at the same time! Thankfully, you will see some sans-coats pics in a bit! :thumbsup2

:lmao: "I can't believe you forgot the word...I mean, we spelled it a bunch of different times in the song..." :rotfl2:

:lmao:

Raglan Rd looks great. I know I said this already, but I can't wait to eat there in May. Loved your PP pics - very cute!!!!!!

Thank you!! :goodvibes We really enjoy Raglan Road, it's a great meal, and if you're seated by the entertainment, a lot of fun too! I was very excited and hopeful to see the dancers and band when making the ADR, and we were seated literally next to the stage! :yay:

Woo-hoo, another update!:goodvibes

Ok, why do those two picks look so identical? Is this the Twilight Zone or something??:confused3 Very cute pic though!

I'm not sick of you pink coat yet, it's a fabulous color!:thumbsup2

Your Goofy's Candy Company backstory almost made cry! You poor thing!:hug: I can completely understand the reasoning behind the pretzel rods and why they were so important to you.:goodvibes I'm sure it tasted incredible, good choices too!

Tell Wingnut his Raglan Road review (say that ten times fast!) was excellent! He did a great job and now I'm kinda craving bread pudding...

Man, the weather was most definitely NOT your friend this trip. I'd have been sick to death of wearing a coat or layers. Tell me it changes, please!

:rotfl: The Photopass pics from DHS remind me of those "spot the differences" photos in the backs of kids magazines. ("the person on the right is a different person!")

Thank you! I got the coat actually right before we went to WDW, and it was a great purchase! It's from Lands End, and the inside fleece part zips out and then is a lighter rain jacket. Wonderful for unpredictable Disney weather! :thumbsup2

It's funny (well, in some sense of the word) too about the pretzel rods - when I was first going to the cardiologist, he told me to up my salt intake for my blood pressure. (My parents/Wingnut got a bit of a kick out of that one - "you are the only person to go to the cardiologist and be told TO eat salt!"). So the pretzels were not only test time-consuming, they were heart-healthy! But then that all went out the window...

Wingnut and I were very pleased with our eventual Goofy's Candy Company choice. It was triumphantly delicious! :yay: (I wonder if that could become a Goofy's tagline...)

The bread pudding at Raglan Road is delicious (despite what Wingnut implies!). And don't worry, the weather does warm up eventually. We even wear t-shirts. And consider that a bit of an accomplishment. Okay, maybe only me. :laughing:

I'm kind of caught up Stringbean. I say "kind of" because I confess, I did some skimming. But...it's a great TR Stringbean -- you're an outstanding writer!

Thank you very much!! :goodvibes Skimming is totally forgivable!! :laughing:. Glad you are enjoying reading it (at least, every third word ;))

Another day at Disney!! :woohoo:

AKA, another sunrise shot of the Boardwalk!! :woohoo:

Have you ever had that moment when you wake up with an absolutely brilliant idea (or at least, brilliant to you .4 seconds after waking up)? That was this particular morning's moment. I may have even actually gasped, it was that epic and amazing.

I giggled gleefully while putting in my contacts.

THIS towel animal idea HAD to trigger a return towel animal! :idea:

I continued giggling gleefully while gathering all of the unused hand towels in sight. Wingnut went to take a shower, I went to begin construction.

Don't worry, I left him a towel.

After a few minutes, it was clear that my vision was going to be more along the lines of interpretive art, rather than photographic imagery. But I was still pretty pleased with myself.

Alright, so my brilliant scheme had been to concoct Cinderella Castle out of towels. I think it more looks like the Sydney Opera House.

ROC006-Sydney_Opera_House_Sails.jpg

(reference photo found on sydneyarchitecture.com)

But none the less, I had a towel structure. Surely that proved my commitment to the towel animal craft, right?

Right?

We shall see...

By the top of my most favoritest staircase in the world was a desk that I made Wingnut sit at before we went downstairs to the bus area.

Hidden Mickey in that painting? I vote yes.

On the way to breakfast.

Our view from breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. (Review courtesy of Wingnut)

After breakfast, we hopped on the monorail ("monorail!!!!") and made our way back to the Magic Kingdom.

We pretty much made the rounds in the same fashion as our prior MK morning, going to the Jungle Cruise first

Then Pirates

Haunted Mansion

I can't wait to see the new queue here.

Photopass time? Why not!

I really wish someone had told me (or, I mean, I could have well thought of it myself) to take off my sunglasses in these shots...

The photographer had brought along mistletoe as a prop, and was thrilled to get to use it.

Stupid sunglasses. What, do I think I'm a rockstar or something? Now, 3D glasses would have at least been a conversation piece. :3dglasses

We skipped around after that, stopping in some stores.

It was around then that I decided I wanted, nay, NEEDED, to own ears. I didn't have any. And really, it's a shame to walk around unaccessorized when there's so many fabulous options. Wingnut and I stopped into the hat store (Le Chapeau?) and I perused the options, narrowing it down to a glittery silver set (pair?) and a glittery black pair (set?) with a red bow, a la Minnie.

Why accessorize sans glitter, I ask?

The following Photopass pics will show my choice (and that no, sadly today was still too cold to abandon the coat :headache:):

Not sure why I look so discontent in the first pic...

Coming up next: Lunch, and, you guessed it - Epcot!! :thumbsup2

Beautiful sunrise.

Great towel structure. Nice job - Love it!

cute mistletoe picture!

What a fun update! Great selection for the Mickey ears!

There was a whole lotta kissin' in this chapter, but don't worry -- I covered my eyes. ;)

Nice choice of ears.

Your towel creation does look like the Sydney Opera House.

I read your dining review and liked it so much that I followed you over here - and I'm not at all disappointed! Can't wait for the next installment :) :upsidedow

Very nice accessory choice!:thumbsup2 I am bummed that coats were still required, even if it looks so beautiful out.

Gotta love the :love2: pics!! I can tell, you look "discontent" because the sun was in your eyes!! That's why you wore them in the previous pics!:cool2:

I truly truly hope that mousekeeping took the bait! Considering, they haven't been so playful thus far.:sad2: I truly think that is a requirement for being a CM, you have to be playful!!!

Aww, lots of cute kissing in this update Sara!:goodvibes

First off, you really should look into a career in towel art design, I'm just saying...;) I think your castle looks like a castle, I get it! Although it does share similarities with the Sydney Opera House as you said. Either way, I love it! Very creative.:thumbsup2

Wingnut looks so official and business like behind that mammoth desk! Though it's hard to take him seriously when he's sticking out his tongue at you!:laughing:

Don't you love the monorail ride to the MK from the GF? It's like 2 minutes long! Definite perk of staying at the GF.

Have you seen the blog updates for the HM queue?? It looks incredible. Here's a blog that is pretty cool:
HM Queue

I love the photpass pics, especially the kissy kissy ones! You and Wingnut are very cute together, you make a very sweet couple.:goodvibes

Nice Mickey ears! I really need to get myself a cute pair like that. Were they the ones with sequins?

Fab update!:thumbsup2

Beautiful sunrise.

Great towel structure. Nice job - Love it!

cute mistletoe picture!

What a fun update! Great selection for the Mickey ears!

Haha thank you!! I was practically giddy with anticipation of creating this masterpiece :rotfl:.

Wingnut said he felt silly holding up the mistletoe, but I thought it was cute! I just wish I could wear the Mickey (or maybe they're more Minnie) ears more often at home. Not many chances to, sadly. I wonder what the reaction would be if I put them on to go to the supermarket. The one I've always wondered about was the ponchos. You always see SO many people wearing the ponchos at Disney in the rain, you can't tell me no one has ever tossed one on in a pinch! I can't say with 100% certainty I wouldn't...:laughing:

There was a whole lotta kissin' in this chapter, but don't worry -- I covered my eyes. ;)

Nice choice of ears.

Your towel creation does look like the Sydney Opera House.

Hahaha sorry, next time I'll remember to put the PG rating up during the especially kissy updates! :rotfl:

Thank you! Oh the ears get worn for the rest of the trip, don't worry! I was just sad that I had missed a few days of ear potential!

Hahaha it does, doesn't it!?! I bet that's not on the commonly created towel animal list of Mickey head and butterfly. :thumbsup2

I read your dining review and liked it so much that I followed you over here - and I'm not at all disappointed! Can't wait for the next installment :) :upsidedow

Hi, thank you!!! :goodvibes :wave2:

Very nice accessory choice!:thumbsup2 I am bummed that coats were still required, even if it looks so beautiful out.

Gotta love the :love2: pics!! I can tell, you look "discontent" because the sun was in your eyes!! That's why you wore them in the previous pics!:cool2:

I truly truly hope that mousekeeping took the bait! Considering, they haven't been so playful thus far.:sad2: I truly think that is a requirement for being a CM, you have to be playful!!!

Thank you!! I was happy with my choice too! The weather was definitely clear, which was good, but just chilly!

That was my guess too! My sunglasses are never too far, but I'm glad I remembered to take them off at least!

Hahaha I was very hopeful that they would! Time would tell...

Aww, lots of cute kissing in this update Sara!:goodvibes

First off, you really should look into a career in towel art design, I'm just saying...;) I think your castle looks like a castle, I get it! Although it does share similarities with the Sydney Opera House as you said. Either way, I love it! Very creative.:thumbsup2

Wingnut looks so official and business like behind that mammoth desk! Though it's hard to take him seriously when he's sticking out his tongue at you!:laughing:

Don't you love the monorail ride to the MK from the GF? It's like 2 minutes long! Definite perk of staying at the GF.

Have you seen the blog updates for the HM queue?? It looks incredible. Here's a blog that is pretty cool:
HM Queue

I love the photpass pics, especially the kissy kissy ones! You and Wingnut are very cute together, you make a very sweet couple.:goodvibes

Nice Mickey ears! I really need to get myself a cute pair like that. Were they the ones with sequins?

Fab update!:thumbsup2

Hahaha thank you!!! I had fun thinking of what I could do ("alright, if I gather all the hand towels..."). Not sure I could make a career out of it, I ran out of ideas pretty quickly! Maybe if I was armed with some of those stickers, I could make some more...

That desk was absolutely huge! I was like, you look like this big important official person...well...until I tried to take the picture! :rotfl:

It was funny, I don't know how, but I had the location of all of the monorail resorts totally moved around (I was convinced, and actually still do picture it like this, that the GF was next to the Contemporary, between that and the TTC). So when it took awhile on the monorail to get there, I was like "oh, I had this ENTIRELY wrong...". But the ride to the MK is fantastically short!

I did read that about the HM queue! I think it sounds awesome. My favorite part was the book that fills in the rhymes. I love that! I can't wait to see it in person. :yay:

Thank you!! I enjoyed taking the Photopass pics (even though glennbo found there to be a bit too much kissing...:rotfl:), and I'm so happy to have lots of pics of both of us in front of the different park icons! Photopass definitely beats the flagging down random strangers to take pictures tactic!

Yes, this pair has black sequins all over the ears, and a glittery red bow. I love all of the different styles they have! (The other one I had been eying was silver sequins, no bow)

First off, another round of Photopass I forgot to include in the last update:

(taken in front of the giant Christmas tree in the Grand Floridian)

Moving on...

When we were about to leave the MK, Wingnut and I considered having lunch in Epcot, and switching our Kona reservation to one of the World Showcase restaurants. I called Disney Dining, however, they were going through a system upgrade, and were having difficulty helping me even search for an open reservation. (And here I thought I was really smart and prepared by having their number in my phone!)

Oh well, Kona it is.

Onward to the Polynesian!

I told Wingnut about the boats that go between the MK and the Poly, and he was up for a bit of nautical travel. We walked down to the assortment of docks, and followed the signs to the entirely empty dock that launched to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. We sat down and waited.

And waited.

And probably only waited around 5 minutes totally alone before beginning to doubt ourselves.

"This said it went to the Polynesian, right?" Wingnut asked.

"Um, yes..." I felt a little unsure, but wanted to maintain my image of knowing what I was talking about. I'd done this before. Once. Practically an expert, I.

We watched boats pulling in to the docks all around us, and I began to do the "if the boat doesn't come in 5 minutes, we'll take the monorail."

Just then, another person came up to the boat launch dock behind us. I had no idea where he was heading, but was filled with an overwhelming flood of relief that we weren't ENTIRELY wrong. We were on the dock that was heading SOMEWHERE, at least.

About a minute later, a little boat pulled up to the dock, and we and the other guy got aboard, leaving shortly after.

Ahoy, Wingnut!

We stopped first at the Grand Floridan, and the other guy disembarked. We then had our own little shuttle onward to the Polynesian. :hug:

We soon docked, and slightly confusedly (well, not me of course...:rolleyes1) got to the main area. Lobby? Great Ceremonial House? The Polynesian is gorgeous, but confuses me to a level maybe slightly possibly less than Animal Kingdom Lodge. I need linear resorts (i.e.: Yacht Club), not these sprawling nature-y ones. Port Orleans Riverside is another one I'm slightly intimidated to navigate. :laughing:

Anyways.

In the lobby, we came upon a group of people watching two CM's playing a giant game of Jenga.

It was fun to watch them play for a few minutes, they and the crowd were really getting into it and having a good time. We left before the game ended to be on time for our ADR, but I'm pretty sure the female CM won, based on the crowd reaction we heard not long after and the timing.

We were seated quickly, and had our lunch at Kona.

After lunch, we went out the door to catch the monorail back to MK. We had just missed it, so I took a few pictures on the platform.

Wingnut waiting. Knowing me, I probably fixed the tag on his jacket about 4 seconds later.

The monorail soon came, and we went to the MK, at least outside of its gates. In a rare move, we took a bus back to the Yacht Club, rather than trekking through Epcot, for our afternoon rest.

Coming up next, a Bomawesome dinner. :yay:

It really does look like a beautiful day on the water even though it was 40 degrees out! ;) Kona is another of my favorites and I lOVE the Poly!

Hey, I'm not skimming anymore! In fact, I read your Kona review and....I read ahead....your Boma review. Couldn't wait for that. :)

I was sorry to read that you meal at Kona wasn't better. I agree, that crabcaked looked kind of, blech. We had dinner there back in '09 and it was excellent.

What a sweet picture of you guys! Did you use one as your Christmas card?
5479535620_f202a52dd6.jpg

OMG Sara, I am dying over here because I literally had the exact same experience waiting for the GF/Poly boat from the MK this past trip!:laughing: The whole thing happend exactly as you said! We were the first ones there, so waited waited waited. Then a couple of other people trickle in and we wait some more while I did the "5 more minutes" in my head!:laughing: Wasn't the ride lovely though? Or maybe not, considering you and poor Wingnut were still sporting coats!

The Poly is quite sprawling, you're right. When we stayed there, I was constantly getting turned around, much to DH's enjoyment! Everytime I started leading us around there, he'd say Molly, wrong way!:laughing:

Sorry your Kona lunch was blech. Yours is not the first poor review I've read. We've done both breakfast and dinner which were fabulous! I agree though, that dining with food allergies seems to lengthen your meal time considerably. Worth it though to eat something safe, right? I'm having food sensitivity to ginger now too, it's so frustrating because I LOVE ginger!:headache:

Love that ginormous Jenga game! Were guests allowed to participate? I used to love playing that.

Um, ya I'd have to tuck in that tag on Wingnut's coat too! I do that all the time to my DD's and it drives them crazy!:laughing:

Great update!

Cute Photopass pics! :thumbsup2

That game of Jenga must have been so loud when it crashed! :eek:

Sorry to hear about the bad food at Kona. I've only had breakfast there and I can't remember if I read any other reviews on lunch/dinner.

Can't wait to hear what entails in a "Bomawesome" dinner!

I've had that exact same "are we waiting at the right dock or did I read the sign wrong" moment. You don't want to look like an idiot waiting there and you also don't want to look like an idiot when you go back to look at the sign.

It really does look like a beautiful day on the water even though it was 40 degrees out! ;) Kona is another of my favorites and I lOVE the Poly!

It's funny how the sky will look the prettiest when it's colder! This day wasn't absolutely frigid (no gloves!), so the boat ride wasn't too wind-chill inducing!

The Poly is gorgeous, just a little confusing to me! I love the theme there though, it seems like it would be such a fun and relaxing place to stay.

Hey, I'm not skimming anymore! In fact, I read your Kona review and....I read ahead....your Boma review. Couldn't wait for that. :)

I was sorry to read that you meal at Kona wasn't better. I agree, that crabcaked looked kind of, blech. We had dinner there back in '09 and it was excellent.

Yay!!! :yay: It's okay, Wingnut could hardly wait for dinner at Boma too! :laughing:

I had read such wonderful reviews of Kona lunch/dinner, that our meal was a bit of a disappointment. Oh those crabcakes...they looked a bit...not appetizing. :crazy2: I definitely hid an impressive amount of them under the sauce/other garnishes/on Wingnut's plate. Oh well, worth a try at least! :goodvibes

What a sweet picture of you guys! Did you use one as your Christmas card?
5479535620_f202a52dd6.jpg

OMG Sara, I am dying over here because I literally had the exact same experience waiting for the GF/Poly boat from the MK this past trip!:laughing: The whole thing happend exactly as you said! We were the first ones there, so waited waited waited. Then a couple of other people trickle in and we wait some more while I did the "5 more minutes" in my head!:laughing: Wasn't the ride lovely though? Or maybe not, considering you and poor Wingnut were still sporting coats!

The Poly is quite sprawling, you're right. When we stayed there, I was constantly getting turned around, much to DH's enjoyment! Everytime I started leading us around there, he'd say Molly, wrong way!:laughing:

Sorry your Kona lunch was blech. Yours is not the first poor review I've read. We've done both breakfast and dinner which were fabulous! I agree though, that dining with food allergies seems to lengthen your meal time considerably. Worth it though to eat something safe, right? I'm having food sensitivity to ginger now too, it's so frustrating because I LOVE ginger!:headache:

Love that ginormous Jenga game! Were guests allowed to participate? I used to love playing that.

Um, ya I'd have to tuck in that tag on Wingnut's coat too! I do that all the time to my DD's and it drives them crazy!:laughing:

Great update!

Thank you Molly!!! It was nice to take a Photopass where it was warm! :thumbsup2 We didn't use it as our Christmas card, we got home on 12/18, and it was a bit of a Christmas miracle that the presents were all wrapped by the holiday! But I definitely haven't ruled it out for the future...:rolleyes1

Hahaha those boat docks are so bad when you're prone to second-guessing yourself! And I had totally forgotten that there were so many of them, which makes it even more confusing (not when you're looking at the signs, when you're all the way at the end of the dock with just your family!). The boat ride is really pleasant, it's definitely my preferred method of WDW travel.

:laughing: Wingnut is CONSTANTLY turning me around to go the right way. His GPS and I get into epic battles, but based on my track record, he usually takes the computer's side...:confused3:rotfl:

We REALLY enjoyed our Kona breakfast, but I must say, the lunch was a bit of a letdown. Food allergies can slow down your meal slightly, but usually not as much as you would think. Generally, the chef will visit your table, and will work out a meal or substitute you can have. All of the chefs I've spoken to have been wonderful, and incredibly accomodating.

That stinks about the ginger sensitivity!! I only usually will have a problem with ginger if I have alcohol on the same day (same goes for nutmeg and clove for me). Hopefully you don't have to stop having ginger though! I know what it's like to have to stop eating a food you like for an allergy (cinnamon...I know, right!?! :headache:).

It looked as though the game was just between the CM's, although we meandered by pretty far in. Maybe in the beginning there were other participants?

:laughing: I'm always tucking in Wingnut's tags and getting little fuzzies off the back of his shirts. We were both once in a wedding, and I noticed in the middle of the ceremony that there was a little piece of lint on the back of his suit...it drove me NUTS that I couldn't walk over and pull it off! :rotfl:

Cute Photopass pics! :thumbsup2

That game of Jenga must have been so loud when it crashed! :eek:

Sorry to hear about the bad food at Kona. I've only had breakfast there and I can't remember if I read any other reviews on lunch/dinner.

Can't wait to hear what entails in a "Bomawesome" dinner!

Thank you!!! :goodvibes I was actually really surprised to not hear the Jenga game come crashing down (especially with the stone floors around that area!).

The Kona breakfast was delicious, I would still absolutely recommend that. I'm not sure if maybe we just went on an off day or something, since I had heard so many other good reviews. :confused3

I've had that exact same "are we waiting at the right dock or did I read the sign wrong" moment. You don't want to look like an idiot waiting there and you also don't want to look like an idiot when you go back to look at the sign.

Hahaha those docks are too confusing! And you get all excited when the boat is nearing you, only to have it turn to one of the other 6 docks nearby! I definitely was starting to feel silly sitting all the way out there with just the two of us, but didn't want to admit defeat by sneaking another peek at the sign! They are a fun way to travel though...:boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter