A Post Open-Heart Surgery/Anniversary Trip Report!!! Updated 5/30 PTR started!!

Here it is.....

Sept2009-Disney342.jpg

Oooh thank you!!! :worship: This may sound strange, but what is it? :laughing: I thought that there was supposed to be a super cool secret message? Maybe I'm just not super cool enough to get it hahaha.

Great update! I'm glad that you remembered to look up while in the Haunted Mansion stretch room so you could see the hanging man. I didn't even know about it until I had been in the attraction several times.

We've gotten the surprise Fastpasses to Philarmagic before and for Winnie the Pooh and have used them. Those little surprises make me smile. But, I'm fairly easy to amuse.:laughing:

I loved the Photopass pictures. Such a cute couple.

Oooh thank you!!! :worship: This may sound strange, but what is it? :laughing: I thought that there was supposed to be a super cool secret message? Maybe I'm just not super cool enough to get it hahaha.

I'm glad you asked Stringbean, I was starting to feel rather stupid myself for not knowing what it says!:laughing: I guess I need to brush up on my caveman hieroglyphics!

Great update! I'm glad that you remembered to look up while in the Haunted Mansion stretch room so you could see the hanging man. I didn't even know about it until I had been in the attraction several times.

We've gotten the surprise Fastpasses to Philarmagic before and for Winnie the Pooh and have used them. Those little surprises make me smile. But, I'm fairly easy to amuse.:laughing:

I loved the Photopass pictures. Such a cute couple.

Thank you!!! We did a couple of Photopass pics this trip, but unfortunately most of ours are in coats! Not exactly the Disney wardrobe you usually anticipate...

Ahhh the hanged man was SO freaky!! Since I knew about it, it was my MISSION to see it (and not just on YouTube!). I had never ever thought to look up before then!

Oh I loved the little surprise Fastpasses - I just had no idea that Philharmagic ever actually even had a Fastpass queue!!

I'm glad you asked Stringbean, I was starting to feel rather stupid myself for not knowing what it says!:laughing: I guess I need to brush up on my caveman hieroglyphics!

:lmao: Hahaha I'm looking at this all different ways like, "I'm even bad at Roman numerals, I'm getting nowhere with this!!"

I'm not super cool enough to get it either. But I think its just supposed to be cavemen writing. I think they call them pictographs. I found this on wikipedia or somewhere similar.

The cavemen did not get around to learning how to write. What they did instead was put paintings up on their cave walls, many of these survive today. What they show are the animals they hunted and some of the tribal ceremonies which they performed.

A lot of what may be said about cave paintings, is probably conjecture - a lot of guesswork. The cavemen are no longer around to explain what their paintings meant.

The most famous cave paintings are those of Southern France : -

Great updates as always!

I love the picture of you. I do that to DH all the time - I forget the zoom is on, so we have a ton of pictures of his eye. Really useful. :rotfl:

I love the mosaics in the castle, they're so pretty!

I'm not super cool enough to get it either. But I think its just supposed to be cavemen writing. I think they call them pictographs. I found this on wikipedia or somewhere similar.

The cavemen did not get around to learning how to write. What they did instead was put paintings up on their cave walls, many of these survive today. What they show are the animals they hunted and some of the tribal ceremonies which they performed.

A lot of what may be said about cave paintings, is probably conjecture - a lot of guesswork. The cavemen are no longer around to explain what their paintings meant.

The most famous cave paintings are those of Southern France : -

Here's the website for the actual cave in France

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/

Thanks for the info!!! That's pretty interesting! So I guess they're just supposed to be cave drawings...I'll admit, I'm still looking pretty hard for a hidden Mickey of some sort or something :laughing:.

Great updates as always!

I love the picture of you. I do that to DH all the time - I forget the zoom is on, so we have a ton of pictures of his eye. Really useful. :rotfl:

I love the mosaics in the castle, they're so pretty!

Thanks!!! :goodvibes See, when DBF is at the helm, the zoomed in pictures aren't accidental at all! I'll usually see him looking mischevious and tinkering around with the camera when one of these pictures is coming up. :laughing:

I could look at the mosaics for hours, I wish I had the patience to create something like that, but I barely am able to complete one row of a cross-stitch pattern! (sadly, entirely true!)

On an unrelated note: ("and now for something completely different...") why do they only make the awesome Phineas and Ferb merchandies (i.e.: the P&F flip flops) in little kid sizes???? I would totally rock those...

Anyways. (And yes, I did check all the sizes of the flip flops in our local Disney store.)

Anyways for real this time.

So after a little afternoon rest, Wingnut and I put on our Signature dining clothes (black pants, nicer tops for the Stringbean, khakis and a polo shirt for the Wingnut) and started to make our way to AKL for our dinner at Jiko.

To say that I couldn't wait for this dinner would be an understatement. Jiko was the first restaurant I KNEW that I wanted us to go to on our anniversary trip, and I had really wanted us to be there on our anniversary as well. Wingnut agreed, partially because he's my wonderful agreeable Wingnut who knew this was what I wanted, and partially because the menu appealed to him as well.

When we rescheduled the trip, this was the first reservation I jumped to make, thrilled when we got it back again (I know, not the same as snagging a Le Cellier in terms of challenge, but still ;)).

So where were we? Ah yes, the Yacht Club.

Oh how I loved staying here. Really, this might be my new favorite.

Okay, it is my new favorite.

And yes, I do realize I'm rhapsodizing about the Yacht Club while showing pictures of the Boardwalk. These were taken from the Friendship #?, while en route to Epcot. Because when we have to get somewhere, we go through the largest park. Obviously. :thumbsup2

Wingnut and I set off through Epcot (really, in retrospect, it doesn't make sense to me either why we didn't just take the boat to DHS and go to the bus stop from there. Okay. As long as we're on the same page...), and soon enough we were through World Showcase and by Spaceship Earth. We may have done something between the two points, but I have no photographic evidence, so there's our great mystery of this chapter.

The amount I love Epcot is pretty much incomprehensible.

:love::love::love:

I thought this several times throughout our trip: why oh why are the bus stops 7 years away from Epcot?

I thought this right afterwards: I miss the International Gateway.

We went (trudged) to the bus stops, and soon enough a bus headed for Animal Kingdom Lodge pulled up. This time, I was prepared. I was ready. I was in the know.

Jambo House, where Boma and Jiko are located, is the SECOND STOP.

Really, you'd think they could put a huge ginormous sign up. Or something. As I'm sure you deduced, the year prior, my parents, Wingnut, and I were headed to Boma, and happily got off the bus at the first stop. And went inside the lobby. And I got that needling feeling that something was amiss.

Yep, we were approximately one building to the left. Or right. I have no idea what the geography of Confusing Kingdom Lodge is. Anyways, we went through Kidani Village, where I pointed out the hidden Mickeys in the carpet. :smickey:. Wingnut proceeded to smush my glory by claiming that it doesn't count as a hidden Mickey when there are about 4,000 of them continually repeated.

I still stand by my case. Ahem. ("another hidden Mickey!")

Anyways, Wingnut and I got off at the SECOND stop (we win this round, Animal Kingdom Lodge...), walked through the gift shop (does anyone go the extra few feet to use the actual entrance door?) and entered the lobby after telling Wingnut that yes, after dinner we could come back and look around the gift shop. I promise.

Ooh.

Ahh.

Ohh..kay now I'm hungry.

Dinner at Jiko.

Seriously, it's a bit disconcerting how much I still regret passing up that cake.

Awesomest meal of our lives concluded, Wingnut and I waddled out of Animal Kingdom Lodge (YES we did stop in the gift shop!), and to the bus stops. May as well go back to Epcot!

Oh look, and here's a Photopass photographer...

Actually, I'm pretty sure this was taken on the way TO dinner, it was definitely still not this light out on our return journey.

Going BACK through Epcot, the weather had definitely gotten chillier. It was already pretty cold that day, but the temperatures definitely had dropped more. Wingnut hightailed it through Epcot, practically sprinting back to the International Gateway, wheeling me attempting to stuff as much of myself into my coat as possible.

Once we hit the International Gateway, there was no boat in sight, so we decided to walk the rest of the way back. I actually enjoyed walking back from Epcot at night, it became a nice little final push of energy for me for the day, and a nice way for us to relax and enjoy the area together.

This night in particular, was more of a shivering attempt to walk as quickly as I possibly could (not extremely). We decided to duck into the Beach Club on our way back to give our ears a chance to defrost.

I know I put this pic in the dining report, but I love that chair!! And yes, it does also show my beloved Dooney!

After catching my breath for a few minutes, we visited the carousel.

Very cool. I especially loved the Beaches and Cream horse!

We then trekked back to the Yacht Club, walking through the Beach Club as much as possible. Soon enough, we were back at our room.

Coming up next: Wingnut and I loiter around the Muppets...

Another fab update Stringbean!:thumbsup2

Your Boardwalk pics are gorgeous! We were planning to hit that area this past trip just to see how pretty it is but we never made it over.

I :love: Epcot too! Actually my whole family does, isnt' that funny? You have good theme park taste!:thumbsup2

Ugh, we had issues at AKL too...we had dinner at Boma one night, it was raining and I decided that we'd just drive to the AKL rather than take a cab. I don't know how but I ended up passing the main entrance and got all turned around!:laughing:

Wowza! Your Jiko review has convinced me that I need NEED to eat there! DH was already wanting to but now I am certain we should partake of that fabulous fare! Girl, how on earth did you pass up a chocolate cake cremeaux??:eek: Shame on you! I am really looking forward to eating here now!

This is a very nice pic of you and I LOVE that Dooney bag! I have my eye on the 40th anniversary one!:thumbsup2
5451808411_25eb37cc2e.jpg

You looked so dainty sitting in that enormous chair!:goodvibes See, you should've had that dessert anyway, you'd still have appeared dainty.:laughing:

And look at cute couple here.
5478933009_99b3231fc6.jpg

Great update, loved all the AKL lobby pics decorated for Christmas!:goodvibes

Great update! I already drooled all over your meal at Jiko. That really was a long trek to dinner, but I'm glad the transportation was on your side and you didn't have long waits.

You did get two really cute pictures together. :thumbsup2

Hey, im here :) loving your updates and i hope your felling ok now :hug: :surfweb: xxxxxxxxx

Hi, welcome!!! :goodvibes Thank you!! I am definitely improving every day! :)

Another fab update Stringbean!:thumbsup2

Your Boardwalk pics are gorgeous! We were planning to hit that area this past trip just to see how pretty it is but we never made it over.

I :love: Epcot too! Actually my whole family does, isnt' that funny? You have good theme park taste!:thumbsup2

Ugh, we had issues at AKL too...we had dinner at Boma one night, it was raining and I decided that we'd just drive to the AKL rather than take a cab. I don't know how but I ended up passing the main entrance and got all turned around!:laughing:

Wowza! Your Jiko review has convinced me that I need NEED to eat there! DH was already wanting to but now I am certain we should partake of that fabulous fare! Girl, how on earth did you pass up a chocolate cake cremeaux??:eek: Shame on you! I am really looking forward to eating here now!

This is a very nice pic of you and I LOVE that Dooney bag! I have my eye on the 40th anniversary one!:thumbsup2
5451808411_25eb37cc2e.jpg

You looked so dainty sitting in that enormous chair!:goodvibes See, you should've had that dessert anyway, you'd still have appeared dainty.:laughing:

And look at cute couple here.
5478933009_99b3231fc6.jpg

Great update, loved all the AKL lobby pics decorated for Christmas!:goodvibes

Thanks!!! I love the Boardwalk area, it's definitely worth a visit! And it's really easy to get to from Epcot (glad to hear it's a favorite in your family too! :thumbsup2)

Animal Kingdom - both the resort and the park - confuse me to no end! I'm pretty lucky when I end up where I'm supposed to be at any given time there :rotfl:. Jiko was absolutely amazing. And I know, I know...how could I have said no!?!? Now whenever I see posting pictures of the cake, I'm like "ARGH that could have been mine too!!!" It does look awesome. Ah, regret. :sad1:

Oooh I've been eying up that 40th anniversary bag too!!! Isn't it adorable? I love the one I have (and I actually have the wristlet in that design as well, it's a great size!), and will attempt to keep resisting a new bag, but...well...:rolleyes1 :laughing:

And that chair is fantastic, isn't it? I was like, I feel like I've been shrunk! :laughing:

Great update! I already drooled all over your meal at Jiko. That really was a long trek to dinner, but I'm glad the transportation was on your side and you didn't have long waits.

You did get two really cute pictures together. :thumbsup2

Thank you!!! :goodvibes Transportation was usually on our side during the trip, not too many waits.

And thanks! I think I drove Wingnut *slightly* nuts stopping for the Photopass pics, but I knew that I would love having them! I think it's great for getting pics together, and not just at an outstretched arms length :rotfl:

:cloud9:

Good morning everyone! Time to look at the view and create towel animals!

Okay, I know that typically the guests aren't the ones creating the towel animals. Particularly the two adult guests travelling without children.

But this guest wanted them. I had started leaving subtle hints around the room that I was a fan of whimsy, putting my Stitch plush on the bed, and leaving Mousekeeping envelopes decorated with stickers. Day 1, this did not work. The Mickey-shaped towel animal from the arrival stayed put.

I decided to get creative.

Dismantling Mickey, I gave Stitch a hat. And an inner tube?

Let's see what happens...

Anyways, Wingnut was intrigued by the Captain's Grille downstairs for breakfast. We didn't make any ADR's for here, but figured if they were packed, we could meander elsewhere.

On our favorite staircase.

We then walked across the lobby to breakfast, where they welcomed us right in.

Breakfast at the Captain's Grille.

SUPER BONUS PICTURE NOT INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL REVIEW...

Mickey waffle, chocolate pastry, egg thing, and egg benedict I didn't eat. Wingnut enjoyed them though.

After breakfast, Wingnut and I headed out to the boat dock, en route to Hollywood Studios.

I then snuck up on a bird.

A boat then came, and we cruised to DHS.

We went into the park, and rented our wheelchair, no problem. Having arrived at the park approximately 10 minutes after it opened, I knew that our chances of getting FP's for TSM for a time frame within the next week would be slim. But we rolled over in that direction anyways, figuring we could scope things out. We were instantly met with a huge ginormous line.

Cue nobody being shocked.

The FP time was already solidly into the afternoon hours, and the line to ride was around an hour long. No TSM for us!

No set plan in mind, we wandered back to the Streets of America, heading to one of our favorite rides...

Yaaaaaaay Muppets!!!

Wingnut and I are big fans of the Muppets. We like to watch the entire pre-show at least a few times per trip. But first, I had to show off my Dis research to him.

"I read that around the side of the building there's a bunch of funny posters."

"Okay, lead the way."

We went up to the doors of the Muppets. As you probably know, the area we wanted to go to is normally blocked off by chains, as it is queue overflow area, but I'm pretty sure the line never gets that long. I didn't want to go straight to the back alley of the Muppets.

"Hi there, come on in, the show's about to start!" a cheerful CM greeted us.

"Um, hi. Do you mind if we go behind the chains over there before going into the show? I just wanted to...um...look at something..." I'll admit, I felt like I was asking to go into the super secret backstage areas.

"Oh sure! No problem!"

I reassured her we'd return (not sure that she was actually concerned about that), and our adventure began!

Basically, there is a long unused line setup, with a ton of funny posters. One side has movie poster parodies, and one side has instructions on how to use your 3-D glasses, among other things. I mostly took pictures of the movie poster side, the "instructional" posters were a bit farther away.

WHAT MOVIE IS THIS??!?! Wingnut and I have no idea.

And on the other side of the wall...

I'm pretty sure that's too many or close to my picture limit, so more to come soon!

I'm here! and all caught up, whew! :goodvibes Sorry to hear you had to delay your anniversary trip but I'm glad that you are feeling better and you got to go!

The ride was awesome as usual (I have to say, I love the redo on this ride, however, I am disappointed that I never got to find the abandoned engagement ring. Too bad they took that out.)

The engagement ring was actually a myth. DH & I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour in September and I asked our guide. He said someone thought that one of the rings in the ground used for poles for queue lines was the ring and the rumor started after that! Isn't that funny?!

On an unrelated note: ("and now for something completely different...") why do they only make the awesome Phineas and Ferb merchandies (i.e.: the P&F flip flops) in little kid sizes???? I would totally rock those...
AGREED! :thumbsup2

Your little Stitch animal made me laugh. He's so adorable! And looks like he's wearing a winter hat!

OMG those "movie" posters are AWESOME! How did I not know about them? That would totally be something we'd love to see.

Weird that it's an un-used area, but there's fairly current movies (like Wall-e) and Hannah Montana.

Great updates! I love that carrousel in the lobby. I love the Muppets too!, the show was closed for our trip in May, I was so bummed, I am looking forward to seeing it again this year.

Hello!:)

I found your report and am on board! I am enjoying your pictures and your very fun writing style!

The "movie poster" you can't figure out.....is it "Die Hard" with Bruce Willis?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter