A Mother-Daughter Sea/Land August Trip - UPDATE! CHANGES??? (2/24)

I hear you! I can't keep up at all. :confused3

I know, right? I am trying to do better!

I think it looks cute too. I hope we actually make it - sometimes by that time of day, it is really hard for us to motivate! :laughing:

We thought about making it over there for this in May but we never did. But it looks fun!

So you have actually had dinner there? And it was decent? That's great! We loved dinner at Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. I'm hoping that CM's dinner offerings will be similar.

Yes, I thought the food was fine. It wasn't spectacular but it wasn't awful like all the reviews of it I had read said. The atomosphere was really fun too.

Aww - you will have to post some pics!

I will! You will have to post some too!

Thanks. The fires have died down, and we are no longer buried under a cloud of smoke. :thumbsup2

That's good to hear.

Since I have my new ticker up I will let you know that we are planning on eating at San Angel Inn so I will let you know how it was!

Hey there...wanted to weigh in on some of the restaurant options. My favorite steak in all of WDW is the Filet Mignon w/ mushroom risotto at Le Celier. I know it can be difficult to get reservations but so worth it. The meat melts in your mouth. Also love the cheese soup and the breadsticks. I know you are glutten free but perhaps Willow would like the bread!! You can get the Filet at lunch or dinner. If you are on the dining plan this restaurant is now 2 points for lunch and dinner. I would not waste 2 points for lunch but pay cash instead. I have been to Yachtsman numerous times as well but still think the Filet at Le Celier is the best around. Yachtsman can be a bit stuffy and if you go at night a bit dressy. We went in our normal park clothes, after a day at the parks, and felt a little underdressed. At Le Celier it is come as you are. Also, I have heard, though not experienced, that the best steak place on property is Shula's at the Swan. If you decide on Le Celier definitely have to book right at the 180 day mark. It always fills up.

We have eaten at both Mexico restaurants. San Angel definitely has the atmosphere that is pretty cool. But if you don't get a seat near the Rio it is a little dark and generic. We were able to get a seat a La Hacienda around 8pm and had a great view for Illuminations. Not all seats have a view but when we went there were just two of us and we had a great seat. Not sure if such a late dinner would work for you but definitely at that time of year a seated location for Illuminations would have its advantages.

I have actually not found Tepen Ido to be that bad. It isn't the best Hibachi but not terrible. We usually go every other trip or so. We also ate this past trip at Kouzina. It was excellent. Had the short ribs for dinner and was really really good. I definitely recommend that restaurant. Kouzina also has pretty good breakfast.

Another thought, the Wave has pretty good food too. Haven't been there since they changed their menu but I know they update it frequently. Have you thought about the restaurant at the Living Seas. The food is ok, but the atmosphere is a lot of fun.

Good luck in planning. We always do sit downs on our trips so have lots of experience!!

Hello! I have not disappeared, just been busy.

I have been thinking a lot about our trip though - it is a long way away, but thinking about it and all the fun we are going to have makes those long and stressful work days go by a little faster! :woohoo:

Something Disney for you - we are going to see Disney on Ice tomorrow! :cool1: Both Willow and I are super-excited. I remember going to the Ice-capades when I was a kid (there was no Disney on Ice back then in the Stone Age), and I haven't seen anything like that since. So I think we are both really going to enjoy this. Of course, it is not coming to our tiny town, so we are traveling an hour away for it - we are going to go early, pay a visit to Costco, then see the show, and then treat ourselves to a dinner out together before heading back here to our little town. I hope to get some pictures to share with you!

Hello! I have not disappeared, just been busy.

I have been thinking a lot about our trip though - it is a long way away, but thinking about it and all the fun we are going to have makes those long and stressful work days go by a little faster! :woohoo:

Something Disney for you - we are going to see Disney on Ice tomorrow! :cool1: Both Willow and I are super-excited. I remember going to the Ice-capades when I was a kid (there was no Disney on Ice back then in the Stone Age), and I haven't seen anything like that since. So I think we are both really going to enjoy this. Of course, it is not coming to our tiny town, so we are traveling an hour away for it - we are going to go early, pay a visit to Costco, then see the show, and then treat ourselves to a dinner out together before heading back here to our little town. I hope to get some pictures to share with you!

That sounds like such a lovely day! Please share some pictures with us. I always want to take Reid to those Disney on Ice shows but the dates somehow never work for us. :headache:

Since I have my new ticker up I will let you know that we are planning on eating at San Angel Inn so I will let you know how it was!
Ugh - so jealous that you are heading back so soon! :laughing: Can't wait to hear all about your trip - not JUST SAI! ;)

Hey there...wanted to weigh in on some of the restaurant options.
Hey there! Thanks for joining in! :woohoo:

My favorite steak in all of WDW is the Filet Mignon w/ mushroom risotto at Le Celier. I know it can be difficult to get reservations but so worth it. The meat melts in your mouth. Also love the cheese soup and the breadsticks. I know you are glutten free but perhaps Willow would like the bread!! You can get the Filet at lunch or dinner. If you are on the dining plan this restaurant is now 2 points for lunch and dinner. I would not waste 2 points for lunch but pay cash instead.
We did have lunch at LC in 2011 and really enjoyed it. I am not usually a filet person - I prefer other cuts, but I did order it and REALLY enjoyed it! We may try to get that lunch again. Hmmmm, good idea! We could share the filet for lunch.

I have been to Yachtsman numerous times as well but still think the Filet at Le Celier is the best around. Yachtsman can be a bit stuffy and if you go at night a bit dressy. We went in our normal park clothes, after a day at the parks, and felt a little underdressed. At Le Celier it is come as you are.
I really do want to do the more signature experience this year just once, I think - both of us enjoy getting dressed up for dinner on vacation at least one night. It is going to be hard to choose the right restaurant for that though. :confused3 I am still leaning towards YM because of Willow's love of steak. :laughing:

Also, I have heard, though not experienced, that the best steak place on property is Shula's at the Swan. If you decide on Le Celier definitely have to book right at the 180 day mark. It always fills up.
I would LOVE to try Shula's, but I think it may be out of my price range. I am going to check on allears though. Thanks for the idea! :thumbsup2

We have eaten at both Mexico restaurants. San Angel definitely has the atmosphere that is pretty cool. But if you don't get a seat near the Rio it is a little dark and generic. We were able to get a seat a La Hacienda around 8pm and had a great view for Illuminations. Not all seats have a view but when we went there were just two of us and we had a great seat. Not sure if such a late dinner would work for you but definitely at that time of year a seated location for Illuminations would have its advantages.
Yeah, I am really torn on this one. I love the look of SAI, but I think we would really prefer the food at La Hacienda. It's a tough one too! :laughing:

I have actually not found Tepen Ido to be that bad. It isn't the best Hibachi but not terrible. We usually go every other trip or so.
This is good to hear. I do think that Willow would really enjoy this place, so I am going to continue to consider it since I have a while before I have to make a decision. :thumbsup2

We also ate this past trip at Kouzina. It was excellent. Had the short ribs for dinner and was really really good. I definitely recommend that restaurant. Kouzina also has pretty good breakfast.
Willow and I had dinner at Kouzzina on our last trip and LOVED it. I would love to go back, but I really do want to try some new places for us.

Another thought, the Wave has pretty good food too. Haven't been there since they changed their menu but I know they update it frequently. Have you thought about the restaurant at the Living Seas. The food is ok, but the atmosphere is a lot of fun.
I have not considered The Wave, but I will check it out. :thumbsup2 We had dinner at Coral Reef on our first trip in 2010 and really, really enjoyed it, but recent reviews haven't seemed as good. :confused3

Good luck in planning. We always do sit downs on our trips so have lots of experience!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to offer your tips and ideas and experiences. I REALLY appreciate it!!!

That sounds like such a lovely day! Please share some pictures with us. I always want to take Reid to those Disney on Ice shows but the dates somehow never work for us. :headache:

I will definitely try to get some pictures. I hope my camera batteries are charged! :eek:

I have been trying for YEARS to get us to one of these, and this is the first time it has worked out. I am sure that you will get lucky at some point. :thumbsup2

Hello! I thought I would do another quick little real-life update. We went to Disney on Ice today and had a BLAST! I will write about it later after I have pictures uploaded. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take my good camera, so I took 100s of pics in hopes of getting a handful of good ones, but I don't think I even got that many worth viewing. :sad2: But I will share what I can!

Anyway, as you all probably know, Cinderella was finally released from the vault and on blu-ray no less. :thumbsup2 Willow and I were very excited because we had not owned it before! Anyway, last week, Willow had Thursday and Friday off from school because of parent-teacher conferences, so I took those days off from work. And we had ourselves a little Cinderella party on Thursday, doing everything Willow wanted to do - paint nails, have Mickey waffles for dinner, watch Cinderella, and eat cupcakes. It was fun!

I have a few pics for you. We pulled out all the nail polish we could find.
file.jpg

Willow drying her nails.
file-1.jpg

Oddly, I don't have a picture of her actual nails. :confused3 I did polka dots on her fingers and Mickey heads on her toes. ;)

Oscar was very curious.
file-2.jpg

Willow dressed for the movie.
file-3.jpg

And really enjoyed the Mickey waffles!
file-4.jpg

Well, that's it. Thanks for indulging me! :laughing: More on Disney on Ice soon. And Willow and I talked a lot about our restaurant choices for the August trip - I will seek your views on our character-meal thoughts. :thumbsup2

Hey there!

Thought I would drop in and say hello!!! :wave2: Nice pics! Willow is such a ham! Yall are busy, too, huh?! The blessings of children:upsidedow....we run around like crazy people :laughing: But wouldn't have it any other way!

Just my two cents on restaurants....we've eaten at both Mexican places at EP...loved both. San Angel offers a very different atmosphere which is GREAT, however the tables are very close. Hacienda has a little edge over the other (for us). We had an awesome table near a window, so when Illuminations started we were right there for a perfect view. They pipe the music in, too. Here are my posts from the TR...

Hacienda Part 1

Hacienda Part 2

Teppan Edo was good, but nothing outstanding....we have the same thing around here. However....the kids thought it was GREAT!!!! Willow would probably enjoy it.

Ya know...I always hate to recommend restaurants because it's so subjective, ya know. What we love, you might hate...anyway....have fun planning!!!!

Heather

The Cinderella party looks like so much fun! Glad to hear y'all enjoyed Disney on Ice. Can't wait to hear/see all about it!

I LOVE that Willow dressed up to watch Cinderella! That is so cute! I also love the idea of doing a Disney themed evening, with disney food and a disney movie. I think Everett's getting old enough to get into it, so maybe we'll give it a try too.

I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed Disney on Ice! I've never taken Everett, but I went with friends when I was in college, and also while DH was deployed the last time, and really enjoyed it! I would totally go again without kids! :rotfl: It sounds like you guys had a great night!

The Cinderella party sounds great! Love that Willow dressed the part.

Can't wait to hear about Disney on Ice-we keep toying with the idea of getting tickets to one of the shows but never do. I'm hoping that you loved it and we won't want to miss the next one. :goodvibes

Hey everyone! Yikes!!! It appears that I have abandoned this PTR. But I have not!!! I have been sick for about two months (still sick :headache:) and crazy busy, but I am still here!

Unfortunately, I have not been thinking about our trip a ton because of the above, but it is now much closer, and I will have to get my Disney on again soon. There might be a wrench thrown in, however. The neighborhood where we live has gone downhill with the recession, and the last few months, it has become downright dangerous. Actually REALLY scary - and it takes a lot to scare me. So we may be moving. Soon. Which makes me ponder whether I should be spending money on the cruise AND WDW (I will take a huge hit on this house because of the market). As of now, we are still booked for both, but I am toying with canceling the cruise. :( There is still time to see how things go, but it is a possibility. :confused3

I promise to be back soon and reply to posts and maybe actually talk about something trip-related!

I really hope you get to feeling better soon! :hug:

And yes....it definitely sounds like y'all have to move. I understand what it's like to take a loss on a house. We had a house in South Carolina that took us forever to sell. When we finally did, it was at a loss. But, when it's worth it, you truly don't care. The loss is worth it. Just like it will be worth it for you & Willow to move to a better location. Hope it can happen quickly for you! :goodvibes

And if you have to cancel the cruise....oh well! Sounds like you'd still be able to go to WDW! :cool1:

Hi there!

So sorry to hear about the neighborhood:worried: That has to be weighing heavy on you as a mom. Hopefully things will get turned around for yall soon. I hope you're feeling better, too. I'm sure the stress of life hasn't helped any with your illness. If you have to cancel the upcoming trip, it will be fine. And using the word "postponed" sounds so much better, doesn't it?;) It's not like you'll never go back.

Take care of yourself, and good luck with house hunting:goodvibes
Heather

I'm so sorry that you're still not feeling well. Sounds like you have a LOT going on right now.

I hope that everything with the house/moving/selling works out for you. We too took a loss on our house last spring, but it had to be done. If your trip doesn't end up happening like you hoped it would that's okay too.

Please feel free to use us to vent/chat/bounce ideas off of. We're all here for you. :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:hug::hug::hug:

I wanted to pop in & say hi. :wave2: Sorry I have been so absent.

First of all I am so sorry you have been sick. I hope you are feeling better. I am also so sorry about your neighborhood, yikes. You & Willow are the most important so if your trip has to change its ok. I hope everything works out though. When Anthony was a baby we lived in a bad area so I completely understand. We ended up having to move in with my parents for a while, you just have to do whatever it takes for you & yours to be safe.:hug:

On a happier note I love the Cinderella night pics! What a great idea & I'm glad you had fun at Disney on ice!

It seems like you have a lot going on, I hope things settle down soon.

I just wanted to pop in & wish you & Willow a Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!:goodvibes

Wow! I kind of disappeared there, huh?? :rotfl2:

So, in case anyone is still interested in following along, I'm back! And we are coming up fast on ADR-making time! :woohoo:

Just to catch y'all up, Willow and I moved to a beautiful new home that my father bought in his neighborhood; we moved the week before Christmas, so that was a little stressful, but we had a wonderful Christmas in our new home. My other house is now on the market - hopefully, it will sell. :worried:

In happier news, as of now, I am still planning to do the trip - we will need it! It will have been over a year since our last vacation, and that's a long time. So we are going. :thumbsup2

I have some tentative plans and would love to run them past y'all if anyone is still around and interested in offering thoughts/suggestions, etc. :confused3

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoyed the holidays. I have some trip reports to catch up on before I start yammering on about our upcoming trip. ;)

YAY! I'm so glad to see you back! Now, no more disappearing! :rotfl:

So glad y'all got all moved in to the new home. Saying prayers that the other will sell soon. Ed & I have been in that situation so I understand completely!

Can't wait to hear about what ADR's you're contemplating!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter