A Dwarf For Every Emotion: A 2017 Dopey (Grumpy?!) Challenge Trip Report! COMPLETE

Ariel484

DIS Veteran
Helloooooo humans! Grab a chair - and clothes for every possible weather scenario :eek: - because it's time for another runDisney trip report!

The cast is...me! Shannon, 32 years old (picture from November's Wine & Dine Half Marathon!):
30281887923_d2b715487b_z.jpg

This was my 10th runDisney weekend, and was supposed to be runDisney races 22, 23, 24 and 25 for me. But Mother Nature had other plans!

Almost 1 year ago to the day that this trip started, I experienced a pretty significant (in my world) back injury - you can read more about that here. I decided that Marathon Weekend would be my big comeback and signed up for the Goofy Challenge (half marathon + marathon on consecutive days) back in April. In October, I transferred my registration to the Dopey Challenge, which consists of the 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon on consecutive days. I had successfully completed the challenge in 2015 (I had also done Goofy in 2013).

I had been plagued with doubts and insecurities all year when it came to this weekend. I felt like this - specifically the marathon - was something that I needed to do to prove to myself that I was "healed," but at the same time, I just wasn’t sure that I was ready. My back was still sore during long runs and I was really starting to get burned out on running altogether. I was very nervous for this trip!

It turned out that this trip was challenging, weird, and rewarding all at the same time. I had a good amount of DIS-meets, a good amount of alone time (my first-ever solo trip!), a good amount of character time (eek yay!) and almost NO park time! :eek: The least park time I have ever had on a trip...in fact, I rode just 1 ride all weekend (any guesses as to what it was? ;)). So it may not make for the most entertaining trip report ever, but that hasn’t stopped me in the past. :teeth:

So here it is - my 2017 Marathon Weekend...with the help of the Seven Dwarfs!

Day 1: Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Dwarf #1: Sneezy! (Okay this isn’t an emotion like the title says, but work with me here! ::yes::) Thankfully, this guy was not a factor in my trip. In the weeks leading up to this weekend, I was washing my hands like crazy and chugging orange juice and Emergen-C drinks like it was my job. I made it to the trip without getting sick! Woohoo!!

Sleepy foreshadowing (also not an emotion...we'll roll with it): I slept terribly on Monday night - we had a loud storm at home and my husband (Mr. Ariel484, couldn't make the trip due to work :sad:) and I each got maybe 4 hours of sleep. Then on Tuesday night I just stayed up wayyyy too late and didn't get to bed until about 12:30 on Wednesday morning. So I was pretty sleep-deprived going into this trip, and it stuck with me until the last day!

My alarm went off at 4:30. Like an idiot, I snoozed. :sad2: Our airport is small and easy to navigate, and I figured it wouldn't be too crowded.........................

How wrong I was!! The security lines were insane (the first of a few insane lines I would encounter today). There were tons of suitcases piled up near the Southwest counter when I went to check my insanely giant suitcase (which is huge and purple, hence the name Big Purple).

31418728533_4a5dab5930_z.jpg

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Apparently it was leftover holiday travel (foreshadowing!!). I was just in disbelief...the schools around us had opened back up on January 2, so I hadn’t expected this at all.

31388057544_17a172fa00_z.jpg

Big Purple weigh-in...is this a sign that I need some sort of intervention when it comes to packing, or a sign that I have extreme skill when it comes to packing? :scratchin

31418728373_49de4f235b_z.jpg

The weather was looking weird for this weekend, so I'd packed for pretty much every possible scenario when it came to park clothes and race outfits...and alllll of the layers! This turned out to be a good thing.

I took my carry-on (Little Red...which is smaller and...well...red :wizard:) and got into an enormous security line with just one hour until my 6:30AM flight was due to take off. I was starting to panic a bit (a lot) that I was going to a.) miss my flight! and/or b.) Big Purple wouldn’t make it to Orlando since I had clearly arrived at the airport later than I should have (I DID pack my race outfits and essential ID stuff in Little Red, so at least I had that with me!). :faint: GAHHHHHH!

Well, it turns out that my security line was full of traveling all-stars - it didn't get held up at all and moved quickly! :banana: I made it through and had just enough time to grab a granola bar for breakfast at a gift shop before power-walking to my gate approximately 30 seconds before boarding began! :faint: MAN!!

Hooray for an A boarding group on Southwest - look at this leg room in the exit row!!

32228972395_8c5a0fe34f_z.jpg

I was OUT COLD for this flight to Nashville. We landed on time and I had just enough time to hit up Starbucks for a coffee and breakfast sandwich before flight #2. Despite said coffee, I was out cold again and woke up to the glorious news that we were descending into Orlando at about 11:10! Hooray!

Up next: A Disney first for me! And...did Big Purple make it to Orlando??!?!?!?!!? :eek:

If you weren't packing for Dopey, I'd say intervention. Since you were, I'd say skill! Congrats on the 49.5 - well done! Appreciate the preview of the Cleveland airport - best case college scenario for our oldest is that I would be there quite a bit!

I was slated to run the 1/2 Marathon on Saturday (my first!) and that didn't happen! I can't wait to hear all about your weekend!!
I am so sorry this happened to you. The first timers are the ones I certainly felt disappointed for when I heard about the cancellation.

As always, very excited to read this report!! I would love to write my own if I could just figure out how to properly embed photos LOL! Sleeping on the plane is heavenly, and obviously much needed!

Your TR's are my fave so of course I am following along! Sad we didn't see you around more during the weekend but looking forward to reading about your trip!

I'm now very concerned about the fate of big purple!

Edit: said not, meant now
So was I...REALLY worried! :worried:
yay, excited to read along!
Thanks! :wave:
If you weren't packing for Dopey, I'd say intervention. Since you were, I'd say skill! Congrats on the 49.5 - well done! Appreciate the preview of the Cleveland airport - best case college scenario for our oldest is that I would be there quite a bit!
Haha, okay, thanks! I like to think I just prefer to be really, really prepared. ;)

They just re-did the terminal at the airport and it's very nice now, and normally nowhere near that crowded! Having people spill out from security into the terminal like that was just nuts.
As always, very excited to read this report!! I would love to write my own if I could just figure out how to properly embed photos LOL! Sleeping on the plane is heavenly, and obviously much needed!
you have to use an outside site to host your photos. I use Flickr for mine...once you upload your photos you paste the location link into the DIS. :)

Those plane sleeps were heavenly sleeps, for sure!
Following!! Looking forward to another great report
Thanks! :wave:
Your TR's are my fave so of course I am following along! Sad we didn't see you around more during the weekend but looking forward to reading about your trip!
Thanks! Yeah, when I wasn't running this past weekend I was barely conscious, so that's why I wasn't around much. :faint: I thought I was fighting a bug off of something before the trip began, so that combined with so little sleep at the beginning was tough to come back from!
I made it.....and looking forward to all the fun and exciting race details!!
Yay! :wave:
Hey I know you! :goodvibes :wave:

Hooray! Very excited to follow along with your report!

Also very jealous that you are one of those people that can sleep on planes. Waking up on descent sounds amazing!

Agh! I need to add one more thing to my planning list....Naming my suitcase. Hmmm :scratchin

For the only ride I'll just guess "Ariel's Undersea Adventure"...which is what you could have named the rainy half if they actually allowed you to run it! (PS I know I'm probably wrong, but I wanted to make that joke)

Dwarf time! I love it!

Looking forward to reading all about the trip ... which hopefully included the contents of Big Purple!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter