A Dwarf For Every Emotion: A 2017 Dopey (Grumpy?!) Challenge Trip Report! COMPLETE

Wow, great TR so far...and we're just getting to the good stuff! Can't wait :)

We get a car quite often if we are doing a full week, just so convenient. I am usually able to get one for under $200, that's about the most I would pay...we were $163 at Alamo this time around, used our AP discount with a class-upgrade coupon.

Yay another run Disney TR!! :yay:
I just cannot believe that expo line! The whole VIP access thing just seems super greedy on Disney's part, and just rubs me the wrong way. :sad2:
I am headed to the Star Wars expo on Friday...after my plane lands...right about when it opens at noon...hoping I don't run into those kinds of crowds! :scared:
Looking forward to reading along!
I TOTALLY agree with your thoughts on the VIP/Race Retreat access! :sad2: I know the people who got it were happy with it, but I feel that it really messed things up for everyone else!

Have fun this weekend!!!! :yay:
The funny thing is that my latest Sephora purchase was literally this morning. I just had to get my "birthday freebie" and re-up my flash shipping and a couple $6 lip balms and scrubs just accidentally fell into my cart. Oooops.

The Disney Sephora isn't any different than a regular sephora right? No matter, I'll still go just to say that I did :)
I mean - obviously you *had* to get those things!!

It's just like a regular Sephora, yes. They did have some of those Disney Princess compact mirrors for sale there - I think stuff those were exclusive to the Disney Springs/Downtown Disney (California) locations.
Yay for arrival and that Big Purple made it. That expo line is completely insane. I just can't imagine any merchandise being worth that!!

We didn't make it over to Disney Springs this year and kinda bummed we didn't fit it in.
No merchandise is worth that line! People said it wasn't too bad, but...just, no. I'm not going to wait in lines anymore to get into merchandise areas. I'm over it!

I did like Disney Springs a lot - more than I expected. It's very nice!
$260 for a popular weekend seems like a pretty good deal. If you decide it's too much, Uber is always a good option too. Trips around WDW are about $8-$10 each time.
Ah, okay...I just need to wrap my brain around the pricing, I guess. Knowing that I got the same car for the same number of days for $160 is making me think I should be able to replicate that deal! :rotfl2:
Nice! I rented a car for the first time at W&D and even though I reserved (and paid in advance for) an economy car they gave me a minivan because that was all that was left! It was awful! I was terrified of driving it the whole time! But on the upside I didn't have to pay for any gas because I was able to convince them that an economy car would have used waaaay less gas than a giant minivan.
Oh noooo! I would have been the same way! I drive a Civic at home, so a Corolla is super similar and even that was an adjustment for me. I can't imagine driving a minivan, especially somewhere where I don't know my way around very well! :eek: That's a great point about the gas though - I totally think that was a valid argument from you! :thumbsup2
Sounds like your off to a good start.
:thumbsup2
Wow, great TR so far...and we're just getting to the good stuff! Can't wait :)

We get a car quite often if we are doing a full week, just so convenient. I am usually able to get one for under $200, that's about the most I would pay...we were $163 at Alamo this time around, used our AP discount with a class-upgrade coupon.
I LOVED having the car! I don't think I can go back to depending on the buses for my WDW trips!

My deal was through Alamo too...makes me feel like I just need to keep checking with them to see what I can get! :scratchin

All-Star Movies

It was time to grab the car and head to a new-to-me resort...All Star Movies!
31418722623_8a02dc8538_z.jpg

I would be here for just one night - originally when I registered for Goofy I'd rented DVC points at a deluxe resort. Since I was paying extra to transfer to Dopey, I thought I'd save some cash by staying at a value for night 1. I was proud of myself for this responsible decision. :wizard:

I headed inside to get directions to my building since I had no idea where to park!
31388049104_ba2423e070_z.jpg

And I took a quick look around...
31853330670_af599c7bc7_z.jpg

31388047734_7a33419611_z.jpg

32110335631_f59237e0af_z.jpg

I ended up in the Mighty Ducks building (not what I'd requested) on the 3rd floor (what I had requested!) and found out via text message that my husband has never seen The Mighty Ducks...what??? :faint:

31418721223_08228a1983_z.jpg

I thought the room seemed pretty nice. I am a moderate/deluxe snob at Disney, so this was better than I'd expected.

31418720703_0a9ded690c_z.jpg

I headed outside to drag Big Purple and Little Red upstairs so I could move stuff around - since I was moving the next day, I moved what I’d need for that night, the 5K and clothes to change into post-5K into Little Red and took Big Purple back to the car. I really liked being able to park close to my building!

I made the final call on my 5K race outfit...I think the forecast called for temperatures in the mid-50s? I put the arm sleeves out but ended up not using them. I also had a set of throwaway clothes (leggings and a t-shirt I think) that I’d wear to stay warm while waiting for the start - I could ditch them and Disney would grab them, clean them and donate them to charity.

31853328770_93dd366c66_z.jpg

I had made FP+ at Hollywood Studios for this evening, but didn’t end up going there...just decided to sort of slowly organize things instead.

Expo Visit #2

Around 6:30, the pull of the merchandise was too strong...I headed back to the expo, something I never would have done had I not had the car. Thankfully, ESPN was now EMPTY!! :banana:

I did pick up the two shirts I wanted, and completed my pin set by finding 5K, 10K and Dopey Challenge pins.
32110376091_8b9beb0efa_z.jpg

31418778083_76f301f4b1_z.jpg

31853385320_bf597ef171_z.jpg

31388097954_3dd82f827e_z.jpg

Anyone registered for the half marathon got a bonus luggage tag that looked like the finisher medal (runDisney gives an extra item for runners registered for any race/challenge in an anniversary year):
31853383360_e2ae7f7691_z.jpg

And here are the race shirts…
31421399353_bdeb8ff588_z.jpg

And the shoes. Haunted Mansion:
31421399463_eb7312f8b4_z.jpg

And Space Mountain:
31421399213_da36210861_z.jpg

I was starting to feel pretty guilty about buying the Space Mountain shoes. They aren't cheap, and I'd only been planning on getting the HM pair. Plus...they seemed a little big on me. The Space Mountain shoes are men's sizing but the NB rep had assured me he had the correct size for me and I'd tried them on very quickly at the expo. Now that I was wearing them for a little longer, they seemed about a half-size too big. I was wondering if I should exchange or return them...

Anyway. It was dinner time! I headed to the food court for some chicken tenders, fries and water! And apparently lots of ketchup. :)

32228959695_b87781a92e_z.jpg

I also figured out how to find the bus stop for next morning’s race from my room...despite having the car, I wanted Disney to do the driving for me on race mornings. I've never driven to the races before, and the buses have always been pretty good for me. And who knows how well my brain would work driving at 3AM...

Once I got back to the room, I set a wake-up call for the next morning and set the alarms on my phone for the weekend as a whole...

31418718463_ca0032750f_z.jpg

Painful!

Channeling Doc, I decided to do some back PT exercises before bed. Exercise #1 is just laying on the ground on my stomach...and when I did that, it became clear that my room had not been vacuumed! I’d been rushing around so much that I hadn’t noticed...now that I was at eye-level, there were crumbs and whatnot on the carpet. :crazy2: Then I turned my head to the other side and was looking under the bed - trash and clumps of dust galore! EUUUWWWW. :crazy2: :crazy2:

Then I went to the bathroom to quickly rinse off in the shower...and there was hair in the shower and on the floor of the bathroom. And it was dark hair - definitely not mine. :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

By now it was about 10PM and I really needed to get to bed, so I didn't call the front desk to ask for a cleaning or a room switch or anything...but MAN, this was by far the dirtiest hotel room I have ever stayed in, and the first time I can remember not leaving a tip for the Mousekeeper! :mad: I mean, it was cheap for a Disney hotel room, but still not *that* cheap - and despite the price, it should have been clean. Yuck!!

So I think I'm done with values at WDW - at least the All-Stars! I've had great stays at Pop and Art of Animation, but this was too much (also, I missed having the in-room coffee maker and, you know...conditioner for my hair).

I called Mr. A for a quick chat, got into the (seemingly) clean bed, and slept like a rock (Sleepy appears again!)...WDW 5K recap is up next!

Last edited:
Love the outfit!

Did you have to buy another suitcase to get all that merch home?! lol!

Oh gross, sorry about the room, that's the worst! I'm a room snob too!

Last edited:
Yay, love reading your TR!

Those HM shoes are really cool.

Sorry about your room, that is gross. I stayed at Pop last April for Dark Side and I was not impressed. I've stayed there before but the last time was not that nice, so I want to go for a mod or deluxe whenever I go again.

Isn't having a car nice? I like how convenient it is. It took me a while to get a good price through Alamo for my last trip. I ended up booking a great last minute deal. But it was nerve-wracking waiting til the last minute, I like to plan :)

Dirty hotel rooms are gross!! My family wants to do the cheapest Dopey 2018 possible, and that means POP, but this post is really dissuading me (I already am a Deluxe/Mod snob) so I'm thinking I may just take myself to POFQ. LOL!

Love the outfit!

Did you have to buy another suitcase to get all that merch home?! lol!

Oh gross, sorry about the room, that's the worst! I'm a room snob too!
Ha! I had packed some throwaway clothes for the races (including 2 thick tops) so I had room for the merch, amazingly! :)

This visit to the All-Stars confirmed my room snobbiness for sure!
Yay, love reading your TR!

Those HM shoes are really cool.

Sorry about your room, that is gross. I stayed at Pop last April for Dark Side and I was not impressed. I've stayed there before but the last time was not that nice, so I want to go for a mod or deluxe whenever I go again.

Isn't having a car nice? I like how convenient it is. It took me a while to get a good price through Alamo for my last trip. I ended up booking a great last minute deal. But it was nerve-wracking waiting til the last minute, I like to plan :)
Yes, I loved the car so much! It is a must-have for future Disney trips! But I'm like you - I'm a planner so I had that I don't have one booked for next month! :eek:
Dirty hotel rooms are gross!! My family wants to do the cheapest Dopey 2018 possible, and that means POP, but this post is really dissuading me (I already am a Deluxe/Mod snob) so I'm thinking I may just take myself to POFQ. LOL!
Ugh, I know! FWIW - I have also stayed at Pop (just 1 night there) and Art of Animation and didn't have any problems with those rooms. I would stay at either of those again, but not gonna lie...I'd pick French Quarter over them in a heartbeat! Or maybe Coronado with my new pro-car stance! :)

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! I hate random hair...even when I know it came off my head (and I shed) but it just eeks me out.

What is it with Disney lately and it's desire to give you a hard time about in room coffee? Coffee is a right, not a privilege! :coffee::surfweb::coffee:

But that aside...I love you HM shoes...I really do :)

Was it weird being by yourself or was it freeing to not have to worry about waking up or disturbing your travel-mates...or was it both?

It's been a long time now since I've stayed at a Value but my last Value stay was Pop and I enjoyed it. That sucks that the room wasn't clean. That issue isn't just with values though, friends of ours at SSR had a filthy bathroom in their two bedroom villa.

I got the medal pins. I didn't see all of the pins you got only the dopey and Marathon ones which I also got I. That style. I was already spending too much money at the expo so if I bought more pins I Might have been broke for the week.

I got the space mountain after trying on those and toy story. Space mountain fit better for me. I wish there was a guys version of the haunted mansion.

Gotta love runDisney race alarms. I only set two and that worked out for me.

We used to stay exclusively at the Values, then booked a Moderate and couldn't go back. We were lucky enough that my wife's company paid for one of our trips a few years back as her year end bonus and we got to stay at a Deluxe (AKL)...next thing we knew we were proud owners of DVC :) Resort snobbiness is real :snooty: Once you've had a taste of the good life it is HARD to go back :sad2:

It's been a long time now since I've stayed at a Value but my last Value stay was Pop and I enjoyed it. That sucks that the room wasn't clean. That issue isn't just with values though, friends of ours at SSR had a filthy bathroom in their two bedroom villa.

I suppose a bad cleaning can happen anywhere. We've had spotless All-Star rooms, and we once had a 1-bedroom at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a disgusting bathroom. The front desk had us in a new room within half an hour.

Ariel484 -- thanks for sharing your TR! It's fun to relive the experience as we follow along.
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens with the ill-fitting shoes!!! :earboy2:

We used to stay exclusively at the Values, then booked a Moderate and couldn't go back. We were lucky enough that my wife's company paid for one of our trips a few years back as her year end bonus and we got to stay at a Deluxe (AKL)...next thing we knew we were proud owners of DVC :) Resort snobbiness is real :snooty: Once you've had a taste of the good life it is HARD to go back :sad2:

Yup. Yup. Yup. We've spent 5 years now in DVC, but we're looking at adjoining Value rooms for next January. We don't have the points for that trip, and we would need a 2-BR to fit the whole family (wife and I hopefully doing Dopey, kids, and Grandma to watch the aforementioned kids). I'm sure it will be fine, but.... I'm spoiled.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! I hate random hair...even when I know it came off my head (and I shed) but it just eeks me out.
Seriously. So gross!!
What is it with Disney lately and it's desire to give you a hard time about in room coffee? Coffee is a right, not a privilege! :coffee::surfweb::coffee:
I feel this needs to be printed on t-shirts, because it is SO TRUE!
But that aside...I love you HM shoes...I really do :)
I'll pass along the message! :)
Was it weird being by yourself or was it freeing to not have to worry about waking up or disturbing your travel-mates...or was it both?
It was nice! I had thought about inviting my mom on this trip but ultimately decided against it because I didn't know what my schedule was going to be like...so I didn't want to be like, "hey, leave the room so I can sleep for an hour" or whatever. It was a little weird but mostly I liked it!
Oh, I'm sure! This was just a really, really bad first impression for me at a new resort! Enough that I won't be back. :)
I got the medal pins. I didn't see all of the pins you got only the dopey and Marathon ones which I also got I. That style. I was already spending too much money at the expo so if I bought more pins I Might have been broke for the week.
Yeah, I heard that some people got the medal pins in the pre-orders...very weird. They normally don't do that (and I didn't get the medal pins in mine). :confused3 I hear you on the spending, pins are expensive and they add up when you want 6+ of them!
I got the space mountain after trying on those and toy story. Space mountain fit better for me. I wish there was a guys version of the haunted mansion.
I think you can do some sort of size conversation to get the HM shoes!
Gotta love runDisney race alarms. I only set two and that worked out for me.
I need multiple alarms...I'm paranoid! :rotfl2:
My husband totally turned me into a hotel snob. My first trip to Disney as an adult was our honeymoon and we stayed at the Boardwalk - he insisted on picking the resort. I would have been okay with a value, but after that trip I was changed! I saw the light!

I've tried to work on him as far as getting DVC but he doesn't seem too into that idea. :(
I suppose a bad cleaning can happen anywhere. We've had spotless All-Star rooms, and we once had a 1-bedroom at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a disgusting bathroom. The front desk had us in a new room within half an hour.
If I had noticed it earlier, I would have asked for a new room, that's for sure!!
Ariel484 -- thanks for sharing your TR! It's fun to relive the experience as we follow along.
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens with the ill-fitting shoes!!! :earboy2:
Thanks for reading! :)

Can I ask how much the shoes cost if you are a runner? It's so funny -- I HATE running (unless after a fuzzy yellow tennis ball!) but I love the runDisney reports the most. LOL. Love yours so far! :)

I didn't realize that the HM shoes were women's, so I got a weird look from the New Balance employee when I asked to try a size 14. o_O
Suffice to say, there's no conversion that will get you to men's size 14. :worried:
Aw, bummer!! :(
Can I ask how much the shoes cost if you are a runner? It's so funny -- I HATE running (unless after a fuzzy yellow tennis ball!) but I love the runDisney reports the most. LOL. Love yours so far! :)
I can't remember the exact price - $130-$140 per pair, plus tax (which is why I felt so guilty for buying 2 pairs!). It's the same price whether you're a runner or a non-runner. :)

I did buy something at the Christmas store though! I picked out a purple Mickey head ornament to get personalized with something like “Dopey Challenge” on it...but when I was walking by the register I noticed that they already had some done, and one was with the exact ornament I was holding. So I just grabbed that one!
32110340021_fd0025b9c3_z.jpg

That is exactly what I was looking for all over the parks. Didn't get to Disney Springs this year, will be a must next year.

Oh noooo! I would have been the same way! I drive a Civic at home, so a Corolla is super similar and even that was an adjustment for me. I can't imagine driving a minivan, especially somewhere where I don't know my way around very well! :eek: That's a great point about the gas though - I totally think that was a valid argument from you! :thumbsup2

I live in the city so I don't even have a car. When I was thinking about it last year I was looking at Smart cars! So my ideal car is VERY different! I tried to exchange it a bunch of times and Alamo was so not helpful.

Anyone registered for the half marathon got a bonus luggage tag that looked like the finisher medal (runDisney gives an extra item for runners registered for any race/challenge in an anniversary year):

That's so cute! I was wondering what everyone was talking about in the Marathon thread when they said they were wearing their luggage tags.

And the shoes. Haunted Mansion:

Seriously. I need these. Like now! :bounce:

Anyway. It was dinner time! I headed to the food court for some chicken tenders, fries and water! And apparently lots of ketchup. :)

Nope. Not enough ketchup. I would definitely need some more.

Once I got back to the room, I set a wake-up call for the next morning and set the alarms on my phone for the weekend as a whole...

Hahahaha. This might me be every morning. I do the same thing with alarm descriptions. Last one is always "Wake the F*** Up!" :scared: But without the asterisks of course.

Just started following along - sounds like a great trip so far. The car is always a big bonus - can't believe the room though - that's crazy :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter