A difficult topic. Is anyone nervous to fly certain aircrafts?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
I flew on a Max 8 to London for a Disney Cruise in the fall of 2018 and the 737-800 to Orlando, all on WJ. AC flies different planes. We have a trip booked on March to WDW booked on the same model as was in the accident yesterday. I am not really concerned but wondering if others might be thinking of switching to a different airline. I can get flight on AC and bank the money from my WJ flights for 30.00 each as we are just outside the 60 day mark. Really over thinking this here.

Ugh...I agree, this is a tough one. I think everyone will have their own views on this and it could become a very philosophical discussion.

I think education is the key and if you truly believe there is a higher risk with one type of aircraft versus another, then you should not fly on that aircraft. Even just for peace of mind.

My personal belief is that you are playing the odds (albeit, very low odds), either way. For me (and this is where it gets philosophical), before I fly, I make sure all my affairs are in order and I am at peace with everything. If it's my time, it's my time. Having said that, it's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about.

I'm probably totally wrong here, but to me it sounds incredibly suspicious that there were two (or more) missiles strikes in that area,( US & Iran) and then the aircraft accident all in one week. I reckon that one of the two parties, probably Iran, got the wrong target. Like it happend in Ucraine with Malaysian airlines.

I'm probably totally wrong here, but to me it sounds incredibly suspicious that there were two (or more) missiles strikes in that area,( US & Iran) and then the aircraft accident all in one week. I reckon that one of the two parties, probably Iran, got the wrong target. Like it happend in Ucraine with Malaysian airlines.

I tend to agree with you here..pretty big coincidence.

I was a little nervous at first, but DH pointed out that almost every airline in the world is rerouting planes to avoid that airspace now. Not just no flights TO Iran, but no flights OVER Iran. He’s pretty confident that they wouldn’t be doing that if they suspected the accident was due to a mechanical failure in the plane, or even if they figured it was pilot error.

The 737-800 is the most common airliner in the world today, making up (going from memory now) something like 20% of the fleet worldwide. It also has an excellent safety record so far. It does have a few issues but those are known and have been dealt with or are being closely monitored. I was on a few of them over Christmas with no worries. How many of our cars have had safety recalls? Same difference here.

Last January, my two kids and I flew on a United 737 max 9 and lived to tell the tale, but I must admit I had some reservations after the first accident, after which we flew on ours, and was a bit rattled after the second accident. Not sure if I'd knowingly book a flight on one of those again once they do start flying.

I'm not worried about any future flights but I sure wouldn't want to fly anywhere near the middle east right now.

I tend to agree with you here..pretty big coincidence.
I was a little nervous at first, but DH pointed out that almost every airline in the world is rerouting planes to avoid that airspace now. Not just no flights TO Iran, but no flights OVER Iran. He’s pretty confident that they wouldn’t be doing that if they suspected the accident was due to a mechanical failure in the plane, or even if they figured it was pilot error.
Looking more like an accidental hit from a missile. My heart goes out to the family and friends of all the innocent victims.

Read the OP. She doesn't want to fly the type of plane that was in a crash. The rest of you are hearing the tiny pitter patter of missiles.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same as you! I tend to worry about flying in general so this accident is no help to me worrying! I was originally worried we were on a MAX 8, but thankfully, for my own sake, we're not! (I know they are still grounded for now) But we're booked going on a 737-800 into Orlando. This whole thing does sound very suspicious to me also. Not sure if it's coincidence, it's just too weird.
As to your question of thinking of switching airlines, No, I'm not. I'm thinking if it is mechanical related, they will be thoroughly checking all of the 737-800's for any defects that could have contributed to this horrible tragedy.

Last edited:
Read the OP. She doesn't want to fly the type of plane that was in a crash. The rest of you are hearing the tiny pitter patter of missiles.

edit: spelling

Well she was worried to fly on that aircraft because she thought the accident was due to technical faults. If indeed the crash is because of a missile strike, then it removes her worries.

I flew on a Max 8 to London for a Disney Cruise in the fall of 2018 and the 737-800 to Orlando, all on WJ. AC flies different planes. We have a trip booked on March to WDW booked on the same model as was in the accident yesterday. I am not really concerned but wondering if others might be thinking of switching to a different airline. I can get flight on AC and bank the money from my WJ flights for 30.00 each as we are just outside the 60 day mark. Really over thinking this here.

The 737-800 crashed because it was shot down in what is presumed to be an unfortunate accident. Not because of aircraft failure.

The Max 8 is not the same aircraft as an 800 series 737. The aircraft this week was unlikely an equipment issue.

I'm very loyal to WestJet, and have no plans to seek out another carrier with different aircraft. They've removed the at-risk equipment from service and still have not returned it. I trust that if there were another reason to pull a different aircraft they would behave the same.

I work in this industry I've been on the tools for over 20 years. I'd say there is aircraft I favor over others by personal preference but I would not rule out flying on anything. They all work they all break and some are easier to fix than others. That being said if I had a choice between flying on a max or a 321 I'd pick the 321 in a heartbeat out of preference. The max will be returned to service when the regulatory bodies decide it is allowed to fly again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!