• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

$99 HP Touchpad

A local store near me has one but they said they are selling it for $399 can they still do that? Should I buy it and see if I can get a price adjustment?

$399 was the price a few hours ago. If whoever is in charge of the pricing system for the store hasn't received the memo from HP, they wouldn't know to change the price.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/20/hp-touchpad-fire-sale-spurs-online-sell-out-brick-and-mortars-m/

Looks like some Best Buys may start selling it and Radio Shack may change the price soon. I wouldn't buy it at full price, just too risky.

Well, I got an order number; but, the website says there is a problem processing the order and I need to call them...Of course, no one is available in Small Business until Monday.

I spoke with Home and Home Office, they think they are going to have more Touch Pads available on Monday. So I am going to call both Small Business and Home Office first thing Monday AM.

I guess I will have to wait for the email confirmation as well then too.. and I will also check my cc info later too...

as far as other stores selling them for regular price.. yes they can still do that.. they do not have to discount them..

$399 was the price a few hours ago. If whoever is in charge of the pricing system for the store hasn't received the memo from HP, they wouldn't know to change the price.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/20/hp-touchpad-fire-sale-spurs-online-sell-out-brick-and-mortars-m/

Looks like some Best Buys may start selling it and Radio Shack may change the price soon. I wouldn't buy it at full price, just too risky.

Return policy is 30 days price adjust up to 7. I think it's worth the buy to try and do an adjustment. At least I would have one. Idk

We are trying to buy a 32gb - but can't get the order to process! UARGH!

I want one strictly for e-mailing and photos - and some very limited web browsing for work.

I Really want an iPad, but I won't use it enough to get my $$$ out of an iPad - but I WILL get the value out of the TouchPad - So let's hope I can get it to go through!

HP is also not going to be supporting this either- in a way of not offering any sort of update to the system. The good news though is that the hackers have broken into it and there are all kinds of fun things for you to do with it. Just have to search online for them.
Enjoy for $99 I say it's worth the risk.

I ended up getting a 32gb one from an ebay seller for $169 with free shipping about 3 hours ago. I tried and tried all day to get one, so I was glad to find it on ebay from a good seller.

After I paid I got an email from ebay for a square trade warranty I could buy for $29.99. Has anyone purchased a square trade warranty? I wasn't sure whether to get one for this item or not.

My ipod is refurbished with no problems. My netbook was refurbished with no problems. I'm just not sure whether to get this square trade warranty for $30.

Any advice?

Our order went through!

Now just to see how to hack it and get Android on it! :lmao:

Since HP is dropping their support for the webOS - I think this tablet will be useless in a year or less if it isn't hacked.

I've already seen quite a few hacks online, not just to figure out which one to crack it!

We are trying to buy a 32gb - but can't get the order to process! UARGH!

I want one strictly for e-mailing and photos - and some very limited web browsing for work.

I Really want an iPad, but I won't use it enough to get my $$$ out of an iPad - but I WILL get the value out of the TouchPad - So let's hope I can get it to go through!

If you only want to do browsing, email, and photos, why are you paying more for 32GB? The extra 16GB won't matter for browsing or email. You'd have to have a LOT of pictures to need those extra 16GB. With 16GB you could have a few hundreds songs, 5 or 6 movies, and still plenty of room for pictures.

Thanks for the link! It took a while, but we for our confirmation code. Dd is going to have a great Christmas. We were thinking about getting her a color nook, but this will be even better. Anything to keep her off my iPad ;). Thanks !

I think my order went through twice [all the errors/refreshing nonsense:surfweb:]... at least it looks that way as there are two pending charges on my CC. I still don't have a confirmation email, and I only saw one confirmation screen. Hopefully if it did go through twice I will be able to get them to cancel one of the orders before it ships.... so one of you nice folks can get it :goodvibes

Hacking?? are these easy for others to hack into on you??? I don't know much about these...

No hacking is a poorly used phrase in this case. Much like how people can "hack" into their iPhone or Android phones, in this case it means you are able to override the software that came with the device and install something new.

This is an action you have to take, and is impossible to have this done by someone else. The reason you would do it, and I have done this to my Droid, is to install new software after the original manufacture stops supporting it. Keep in mind the HP Touchpad works fine now. The new game everyone is playing on their iPad a year from now won't be available, but the core functionality of email, web, music, video, photos, etc. will continue to work as it does today.

Nobody is able to hack onto the device and steal your information. As with any of these devices, if someone wants your info they will just take the tablet out of your hands.

For those who don't know, the Touchpad runs WebOS. Like the iPhone or Android, it is an operating system for phones and tablets. HP bought the company Palm last year, who all but invented the smartphone. Unfortunately for HP, the WebOS didn't catch on like Android and iPhones did. 1 year after paying over a billion dollars for Palm, HP has decided to eliminate the WebOS product line. Bad news for HP stockholders, good news for us as a very capable device is now being sold at fire sale prices.

Just remember what you are getting. There are apps you can download and there are no plans to close the app store. But there won't be new apps. The cool app your friend has next year won't work on this. Buy this device is you want a tablet to browse the web, check email, watch videos, do video conferencing, take pictures, read books, listen to music, check facebook, and play the occasional game.

I've been reading the Slickdeals thread on this and it's quite amusing! If you're west coast, you might try going into your Best Buy. They got a memo saying they can sell at the Clearance Price now. I went into mine (East Coast), they said they won't start selling them until tomorrow at the markdown price. So I went home to try to do an in store pick up. It showed availability, but then I got an email 30 minutes later saying it was not available in the store. Those jerks are smarter than me :rotfl:

But others have reported having luck at BB selling them now. FYI, though, they are saying BB is stating a no return policy on the HP Touchpad if you buy it at the clearance price. So I would turn it on in the store to make sure it works.

I finially got to where u enter your CC info. I did all of that and after I hit Submit, it then immediately went to "Cannot display the webpage" and I couldn't go back. I had 2 of them in my cart. I'm guessing the order did not go thru???? I didn't recieve any order number, but who knows, maybe it did go thru??:confused3

No hacking is a poorly used phrase in this case. Much like how people can "hack" into their iPhone or Android phones, in this case it means you are able to override the software that came with the device and install something new.

This is an action you have to take, and is impossible to have this done by someone else. The reason you would do it, and I have done this to my Droid, is to install new software after the original manufacture stops supporting it. Keep in mind the HP Touchpad works fine now. The new game everyone is playing on their iPad a year from now won't be available, but the core functionality of email, web, music, video, photos, etc. will continue to work as it does today.

Nobody is able to hack onto the device and steal your information. As with any of these devices, if someone wants your info they will just take the tablet out of your hands.
ok.. thank you...;) that was all I needed to know.. when I hear hacking, I am used to laptops and desktops.. and hacking is someone coming in and stealing your info.. I (or DH since he is really getting it :goodvibes ) don't do games... so I don't care.. now my kids, that might be different. They can take care of doing what they have to do to it when they need to.. I am sure they must know about it already :lmao:... I am a bit old fashioned on the word hacking...

i ended up getting one at full price from BJs I am really hoping they get the memo to drop the price. I talked with the manager and she said their corporate office is closed on the wkends so that could be why they havent changed the prices.

I felt like a broken record I must have asked 5 times what the return policy and price match policy were and as far as I can see its worth ghe try

Buy this device is you want a tablet to browse the web, check email, watch videos, do video conferencing, take pictures, read books, listen to music, check facebook, and play the occasional game.

This is exactly what we want it for... It is easier to carry this when we go to Disney than our laptop.. If I have my DH's to use, I can video chat with the kids when I am away and they are home (kids are 18, 23 & 24) or visa versa. They can keep all their pictures and songs on it instead of keeping them on their laptops. They can start reading books on them... :thumbsup2 I think for us.. and at the prices (if my order actually did go thru) are perfect..... and I may still get that new laptop instead of a new desktop :cool1:

After a lot of continuous refreshing on the business web site I finally got the order to go through. Not going to get too excited until I get the email confirmation that they are shipped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter