90 Day Recovery Question - Positive at day 13 before cruise

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
This is, of course, not the post I want to make, but here I am.

We are 13 days pre cruise and today I tested positive for Covid; I believe I've been symptomatic for 2-3 days now, it truly felt like allergies (I know, I know, hindsight is a beautiful thing and I wish I had tested sooner). Anyway at first I used a home covid test, and then I immediately did a drive up PCR test at our immediate care. I know their tests go out at 9am each morning, and since I did mine at 4pm today, I'm guessing my date will be 12 days prior to cruising on my results.

So that part is done. Now I'm trying to figure out the Letter of Recovery process. I put a message into my PCP in our portal but she does not work on Mondays, so no response today. Do I have to wait a full 10 days for that? Do most PCP's have you come in in person for that letter or what is the general process? 10 days will put me very close to our leaving time at this point, so if it something that I need to get scheduled, I feel like I need to do that now. I've also read about QuickMd and some other online options - My regular PCP would be less expensive, but at this point I would be willing to do whatever it takes.

And then of course if i've been positive for 2-3 days, I guess there is a chance I could just be testing negative by the precruise testing but no way to know.

The other side is watching and waiting for my husband and daughter. Both are negative as of today, and I'm isolating to try to save any hope for this trip that we can.

I'm just kind of a bundle of nerves right now and trying to figure all this out. Thanks for your help!

This is, of course, not the post I want to make, but here I am.

We are 13 days pre cruise and today I tested positive for Covid; I believe I've been symptomatic for 2-3 days now, it truly felt like allergies (I know, I know, hindsight is a beautiful thing and I wish I had tested sooner). Anyway at first I used a home covid test, and then I immediately did a drive up PCR test at our immediate care. I know their tests go out at 9am each morning, and since I did mine at 4pm today, I'm guessing my date will be 12 days prior to cruising on my results.

So that part is done. Now I'm trying to figure out the Letter of Recovery process. I put a message into my PCP in our portal but she does not work on Mondays, so no response today. Do I have to wait a full 10 days for that? Do most PCP's have you come in in person for that letter or what is the general process? 10 days will put me very close to our leaving time at this point, so if it something that I need to get scheduled, I feel like I need to do that now. I've also read about QuickMd and some other online options - My regular PCP would be less expensive, but at this point I would be willing to do whatever it takes.

And then of course if i've been positive for 2-3 days, I guess there is a chance I could just be testing negative by the precruise testing but no way to know.

The other side is watching and waiting for my husband and daughter. Both are negative as of today, and I'm isolating to try to save any hope for this trip that we can.

I'm just kind of a bundle of nerves right now and trying to figure all this out. Thanks for your help!
Now you don’t have to worry about pre boarding testing. I took my son to CVS, after he was recovered and had no symptoms. No less than 5 days quarantine per CDC after PCR positive test. Paid $25 documentation fee but online price said $59.
Good luck.

They don't count the day of sailing as 10 days out or the day you tested positive with a test. You do need to wait at least five days before getting a note from your pcp. Then make sure the note says you are cleared to travel. If you are still experiencing symptoms after day 5, probably wait until your symptom free before having the doctor write that note.

You're not recovered yet-- as PP said, you need to be clear of symptoms before you sail. Please don't put other passengers and the crew(!) at risk unless you are completely symptom free for at least 5 days before you sail and testing negative. You are within the window to get all of your $ back or apply it to a later cruise. That's why that policy is in place.
Also-- I hope you get to feeling better soon, and that the rest of your family is ok. Covid is not fun.

I would be too nervous that my family would start showing symptoms while on the cruise - and infect other passengers and the crew. Even though they might have tested negative to get on the ship. The threat of spending my cruise in isolation on deck 2 is enough that I would get a refund if I was in your position.

MD Anywhere can do recovery letters. We counted the day we had fevers as our first day with symptoms, since we commonly have allergy symptoms. I would continue to check your family’s temperature and do at home tests. I got it from my husband a few days after his symptoms showed up, but our son still hasn’t gotten it. Good luck

Sorry to concern anyone and should have clearly stated IF I am better and if my family remains okay. For the record I am completely isolated from my husband and daughter. They tested yesterday and today and are both still negative and will continue testing. If theirs should change, then yes, we are out of the trip and we completely understand that. If I should remain sick or not recover, then we would not travel either.

I have not ran a fever at all and as of today symptoms are improving. The worst thing I’m dealing with at the moment is fatigue still. But we will continue to monitor everything.

But in the event everyone is in top top shape and we did make the trip, I just wanted to be prepared with what was needed.

Sorry to concern anyone and should have clearly stated IF I am better and if my family remains okay. For the record I am completely isolated from my husband and daughter. They tested yesterday and today and are both still negative and will continue testing. If theirs should change, then yes, we are out of the trip and we completely understand that. If I should remain sick or not recover, then we would not travel either.

I have not ran a fever at all and as of today symptoms are improving. The worst thing I’m dealing with at the moment is fatigue still. But we will continue to monitor everything.

But in the event everyone is in top top shape and we did make the trip, I just wanted to be prepared with what was needed.
I hope your family stays negative and that you keep improving. We just hit our recovery days last week, and our cruise is next week. Our son is still negative. We are hoping he stays that way. Good luck

It took my daughter 8 full days from her first positive to finally get a negative on day 9. My test showed negative on day 7 after first test. Hope you're all good and able to go on your cruise.

It took my daughter 8 full days from her first positive to finally get a negative on day 9. My test showed negative on day 7 after first test. Hope you're all good and able to go on your cruise.
My family had a similar timeline back in March. We had to test negative to get into the Bahamas, and we all tested positive 7-10 days before we had to get tested. We all tested negative just in time.

We used QuickMD for the letter. They charge $75 but know what they are doing on the recovery letter.
We were in the same boat, wife tested + 6 days before sailing and then myself 3 days before. We had to sadly postpone to this August to cruise. We are both testing negative, but still want to get the Recovery Letter just to be safe. What was your experience with QuickMD??

My family had a similar timeline back in March. We had to test negative to get into the Bahamas, and we all tested positive 7-10 days before we had to get tested. We all tested negative just in time.
If we use the 90 day recovery letter for boarding the ship are we not allowed to disembark in the Bahamas without a test?

If we use the 90 day recovery letter for boarding the ship are we not allowed to disembark in the Bahamas without a test?
The Bahamas has since ended its entry testing requirement. We were flying into Nassau for a visit to Atlantis.

I chimed in here because I was in a similar situation: testing positive very close to a vacation. The timing of our positive tests was a bit of a problem. My kids tested positive two days before I did, and I had to test negative to fly-in the day of our scheduled flights (because there was a 14 day after positive test requirement for a testing exemption for entry into The Bahamas). If i hadn't gotten a negative test, I would have had to delay my entry to 14 days after my positive test, which was two days after our scheduled flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter