9 Days in the World then cruise out of FLL

River Country

15hours49Minutes away without traffic
Hi everyone....

I always come to the DIS for info and always share my experience soooo here we go...

I will be traveling from NJ in JULY OMG I KNOW nothing like central Florida in JULY everything sticks to ya!! After Disney for 9 days we will be leaving on RCL Harmony of the Seas out of FLL. So I had to price the travel expense for Air and Car Rental. BTW these prices are for 3 people

Option 1 Book 1 way from EWR to TPA (cheaper), rent full size SUV from TPA, drive to FLL on day of Debarkation, return rental car, go on cruise, book 1 way from FLL to EWR. $1436

Option 2 Book 1 way EWR to TPA, rent full size SUV from TPA, return car to TPA, fly from TPA to FLL, go on cruise, fly from FLL to EWR 1 way. $1634

Just a side note flying into Tampa is cheaper and so is the rental car. Not always but it is this time and I have done that in the past and takes me about an hour to get from TPA to WDW I should stress without traffic.

So for $200 more and I don't have to drive 3 hours+ from Orlando to Lauderdale. Also anyone ever take that Silver Star Air? Should I just drive and save $200 which is what I am leaning towards?

TIA

I would drive, no doubt. You would have more control over how you spend that time than if you do fly. Could you imagine if you decided to fly and then you had a plane delay? You could end up spending more than 3 hours dedicated to getting from TPA to FLL, especially if you need to get to TPA early for security. (I know I got caught in a seriously long line at TPA security once before pre-check and it was not even a busy travel day/time.)

Plus, you can control your trip between Tampa and Fort Lauderdale by leaving earlier or later than the flight and choosing if and where you might want to stop. I know a couple of years ago, I wanted to drive from Tampa to Miami, but something happened that I had to change my plans. I vaguely remembering that I wanted to stop in Everglades City, but I cannot remember now why.

Drive to tpa, return car, check bags (how many and what size bags are allowed on that airline?), go through security, wait, fly, land, wait for bags, get transportation, get to port Everglades.

That’s more time than the drive to ft Lauderdale, yes?

Have you priced out a smaller car? For three people, I can't imagine that you need a full sized SUV. Also, did you price out the cost of flying into MCO, taking DME (if you're staying onsite) to the resort, then renting a car at the end of your stay? Or perhaps you're staying off-site and need the car to get to the parks each day?
I flew from FLL to MCO a year or so ago. It was actually fairly pleasant. Yes, I had to be at the airport early, then fly and then get my bag, then get to WDW. But, it was cheaper than renting a car.

Have you priced out a smaller car? For three people, I can't imagine that you need a full sized SUV. Also, did you price out the cost of flying into MCO, taking DME (if you're staying onsite) to the resort, then renting a car at the end of your stay? Or perhaps you're staying off-site and need the car to get to the parks each day?
I like these options
1) Fly to MCO, DME to Disney, get rental vehicle (NOT a full size SUV) one way to FLL, fly out of FLL
or
2) Fly to Tampa (check Melbourne & Daytona too), get rental vehicle (NOT a full size SUV), use it while offsite at Disney, then turn in at FLL.

How about:
  • EWR-TPA, rent car, drive to Port Everglades, cruise, drive back to TPA (a little less than 4 hours via I-75) and fly home.
    • That gives you round trip airfare savings and no one-way surcharge for the rental car.
  • OR...flying round trip to FLL or MIA. Rent the car and drive to WDW (4 hours), do Disney, drive back and return car, and then Uber to Port Everglades and then Uber back to the airport after the cruise.
    • FLL to Port Everglades is only about 3 miles, $8-$10 for X, $16-$18 for XL
    • MIA to Port Everglades (33 miles) would be about $42-$45 for X and about $90 for XL.
    • Those prices are each way, so total cost would be double -- but still might be offset by the other savings.

If you fly tpa to fll, you have to drive from Orlando to Tampa- when you need to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes before your flight, you’re already at almost 3 hours. It’s a 3:15 Drive from the Magic Kingdom to Port Everglades (FLL Cruise Port). Just sayin’

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter