7 People, 11 nights, DDP

I'm sorry you didn't like Boma. The prime rib is one of my favorites though, I'm glad you liked that.

This is one of our favorites and a spot we always try to visit. We didn't have it on our original list as we were going to try Italy, but after reading the reviews we tried to switch. Our reservations were very late and we were seated at 9:00 PM.

Upon being seated our drink orders were immediately taken. We were told we could have any nonalcoholic drinks except those with the glow cubes or with the tink clips. Two of my kids got the Niagara Refreshers and one got a Red Maple. I'm not sure exactly what kind of juice those have in them, but the kids liked them. The rest of us just had iced tea or decaf coffee.

Then it was time to order, here's what we ate:

Me: Cheese Soup, Filet Mignon, and Chocolate Moose (to go)
DH: Caesar Salad, NY Strip, and Canadian Club Cake (to go)
DD1: Cheese Soup, Prime Rib and Seasonal Sorbet
DD2: Cheese Soup, Prime Rib, and Chocolate Moose
DS: Cheese Soup, Filet Mignon, and Chocolate Moose (to go)
Ddad: Shrimp Cocktail, NY Strip, and Canadian Club Cake
Dmom: Caesar Salad, Chicken and Chocolate Moose (to go)

The shrimp cocktail was declared good as were the Caesar Salads. The only complaint with the cheese soup, was it was a little heavy on the beer taste. It didn't bother me, but my kids thought it was a little strange. Our course we all devoured the original handful of pretzel bread we were brought, so they gave us more, which we promptly ate as well. The steaks were all done to prefection and the sides (mashed or roasted potatoes) were very good. My girls are Prime Rib conosiuers and said this was some of the best Prime rib they had had. Dmom said the chicken was moist and quite tasty. The sorbet flavors were raspberry and mango and DD1 said they were good. The cakes was moist and the one taken to go made a good breakfast later in the week. The chocolate moose was cute as always and quite tasty. The moose even held up pretty good for breakfast the next morning. ;) The ambiance of this restaurant make it a great place to eat. It is cool, and you forget the noise and bustle going on outside. The cast members are very attentive and one was even coloring with two kids at a table near us.

Our only complaint had to do with another group who were there eating. It was a group of about 15 at three tables: adults at one, teenagers at a second, and 5 kids under 10 at a third. The adults were sitting talking and drinking their beer and not paying attention to the kids. The kids were being very much out of control. They all had had the fancy drinks so their tinks were flying through the air narrowly missing other diners and the cast members. :eek: When the adults were finally ready to go, they argued with the staff about having to pay for the fancy drinks (they were obviously on the DDP and the kids were told just to order). After they left, one of the cast members apologized for the group saying they had been their for over 2 hours. :eek: No wonder those poor kids were so out of control!

All in all this is a place we all agree is still on our list of places to eat at again.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We arrived for our reservation and sat on the benches waiting for our turn. We were seated by a carhop in roller skates which further added to the fun. Since this was our first visit, we eagerly looked around at the drive in decor. My Dmom and Ddad used to take us to the drive in all the time as kids, and I can tell you that the atmosphere in the restarurant is very similiar to a real drive in theater. There is a white picket fence at the front of the theater under the screen where the playground always was. This is the site for the computers, high chairs, etc. The back of the theater has the snack bar which houses the kitchen. The roof of the restaurant has twinkling stars. The cars hold six (or in our case) 7 quite comfortably. Here's a picture to give you an idea of our "car."
613-167SciFiDineIn.jpg
My parents were seated in the back seat of the car, but can't be seen in this picture.

So here's what everyone ate (the shakes are the drinks on the DDP):
Me: BLT soup, Shrimp Penne Pasta, Vanilla Shake, Fruit Salad Dessert
DH: Onion rings, Reuben Sandwich, Strawberry Shake, Apple Crisp
DD1: Onion rings, Shrimp Penne Pasta, Vanilla Shake, Fruit Salad Dessert
DD2: Onion Rings, Steak Dinner, Cookie Shake, Fruit Salad Dessert
DS: BLT soup, Steak Dinner, Cookie Shake, Fruit Salad Dessert
Dmom: BLT soup, Steak Dinner, Decaf Coffee, Fruit Salad Dessert
Ddad: Onion rings, Shrimp Penne Pasta, Vanilla Coke, Hot Fudge Sundae

The BLT soup was very good. I wondered what soup with lettuce would be like, but found this to be very tasty. The onion rings were declared some of the best they ever had (and Ddad eats alot of onion rings ;) ). The shakes were nice and thick, and we each also got a glass of water (good water not yucky Florida water!). The pasta was tasty and very filling. The vegetables in the pasta were cooked just right. The steaks were cooked just right and the side dishes were tasty as well. The Reuben were said to be good by a guy gets a reuben when ever there is one on the menu. The hot fudge sundae was enormous! The apple crisp looked very tasty and was said to be so. The fresh fruit consisted of melon and grapes. It was very tasty and a light compliment to a filling meal.

This is a fun restaurant. The clips playing on the screen are quite humorous. It was fun to see the intermission clips of the food dancing around on the screen. It made me want to take my kids to our local drive in to see a movie.

All in all a good place.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

This was another choice of a new place for us to try. It also gave us a chance to check out the Polynesian resort. The resort is very cool.

We had spent the day at Blizzard Beach so we were very warm. While we were waiting for our table, my dh decided the adults needed a special drink. He ordered us Island Sunsets. I'm not sure what was in them, but they were very tasty and quite refreshing.

The hostess came to seat us. On our way through the restaurant, he explained everything we were seeing. He even reminded us to save room for the bread pudding and warned us that the food would come like a freight train express. While he was right, as soon as we were seated the food started coming. Starters were first. The fried wontons were good and a little like a cracker. The salad was tasty and a good place to start. The appetizers arrived soon after. The shrimp was very spicy. Even my shrimp loving DH said it was too spicy. We were surprised since the menu didn't say anything about spicy just sweet and sour. The chicken wings were quite yummy and we even asked for more. Everyone devoured them quickly. Next came the potatoes and vegetables. The vegetables were a stir fry mixture of carrots, brocoli and others. It was a tasty compliment to the meat. The potatoes were very yummy and enjoyed by everyone. Next came the skewers. We were served turkey, pork loin, pork sausage, and steak. My personal favorites were the pork loin and the turkey. They were both quite tasty and I even asked for more. The sausage was okay (I'm not a big sausage lover). DH said it was good. DD2 loved the steak and took more. All in all the meat was quite good. Then they brought the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding. All I can say is Wow! It was delicious! I'm glad that I saved room for this dessert. Everyone at the table said how wonderful it was.

The entertainment in the restaurant was okay. A ukelele player comes out periodically and plays and sings. She also runs coconut races, sets up a parade for the children with island istruments, and limbo contests. She also announces any special events and sings a special song for them. I think younger children would love all the special events (mine thought they were too old).

This was a good place to eat. We probably will visit again.

We go to Chef Mickey's on our first night,when we arrive in Disney. I make DH crazy. He tells me no one in their right mind would go out to eat with kids after an 19 hour drive.

I showed him your post.

Isn't it a great way to start the vacation?

Yes Chef Mickey's is a great way to start the trip. It really makes you feel like you are in the world!

Thanks for all the kind words for my reviews.

This is a fun place to eat and a good show. We arrived for our seating time of 9:20 early as suggested. I checked us in and then we waited for the previous show to let out. Then it was time for us to be admitted. We went in and were pleased to be seated on the floor towards the back. We had a good view of the stage and found out a good spot for interacting with the cast.

Our waiter came and took our drink orders and promptly served those. He did a good job of keeping everyone's drinks refilled as well. Then they brought the bread and salad. We are big bread eaters espcecially when it is warm and fresh baked. We all enjoyed the bread and the salad. Then the show starts. The cast comes in claiming to be arriving from another location in a storm. They talked to us as the went by on their way to the stage. They did some songs and had some fun. At one pont they did a song about places around the country/world. They asked where we were from, but I guess couldn't come up with anything to rhyme with Illinois as they quickly moved on to someone else. Then the chicken, ribs, and corn on the cob were brought to the table. All were delicious and we ate more than one bucket of ribs. Next was the time to recognize all people celebrating something. Well it must have been noted somewhere on our reservations that the next day was DD1's 16th birthday as she was in for a surprise. One of the men (I can't remember their names) called to another over and said "she's goinig to be 16 and you know what that means." Well my DH could see what was coming as they pulled DD1 to her feet so we got a picture to show all her friends:
615-119LexiekissatHoopDeDoo.jpg
Anyway shortly after this it was time for the desert. The cast and waiters do a little dance with the shortcake and then deliver it around the room. One of our pails of shortcake was delivered by the girl with the funny laugh. Finally it was time for the show to end, and DH caught this picture of the whole cast.
615-121HoopDeDooperformers.jpg

All in all a fun show and good food! Plus as DH and DDad discovered you can get a beer with your meal even on the dining plan. The only problem is it is rather costly.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We had eaten here before it became Princess dining when it was more of a buffet and decided to try it again.

We arrived for our time and were told to wait for our name to be called. We waited a short time and were called to come in a dine. This was the actual day of DD1's 16th birthday. She has been a Belle fan since she was very small. She still has a lot of her Belle stuff in her room on display and can recite practically the whole movie (she wore out one DVD when smaller). So she was thrilled to be greeted by Belle.
617-035EpcotNorwayBelleandLexie.jpg

We were seated by a very nice young lady and told we could go to the cold buffet. The bread and seafood salad on the buffet were declared good by the kids and I. DDad and DH are huge herring eaters so they found the variety of herring very good. DMom just liked everything. We each could order on entree off the menu (this is different you used to get to try all the entrees just smaller portions). DD1 and I had the poached cod. The fish was okay, but the potatoes which were mixed with horseradish were bad. :(
DDad and DH had the ribs. They said they were good. DMom had the lamb. It came with roasted red potatoes which were good. She also said the meat was good. DD2 and DS had the Pasta Akershus. It think it was the best choice. It was flavorful and good. Then the deserts came. We had lingonberry cheesecake, chocolate mousse and rice cream all served on the same plate (we had four plates). All three were good, but the overall favorite of everyone was the rice cream. It is light and very tasty.

While we were eating the princesses came around. We saw Jasmine, Aurora and Snow White once and Ariel twice.
617-041EpcotNorwaySnowWhiteandGirls.jpg
617-040EpcotNorwayJasmineandGirls.jpg
617-038EpcotNorwayAuroraandLexie.jpg
617-037EpcotNorwayArielandKids.jpg

The first time Ariel was at our table she made a big fuss about DD1 being sixteen just like her. She asked if she had found her handsome prince on his birthday on a ship and really played the part well. Then my DD's started whispering with her. This requires a little backstory. When we first went to WDW, DS was 5. The girls wanted to go see Ariel, so we went to her grotto. Each girl had their picture taken alone and then DS sat down. Ariel was posed just like with the girls until the picture was snapped and then here's what happened.
Photo009.jpg
He cried for about 30 minutes after this :sad: and insisted I wash his face with a baby wipe. Anyway, back to this trip. The girls had plotted with Ariel to kiss their brother again. So she snuck around the second time and here is the result.
617-063EpcotNorwayArielkissingGrant.jpg
He didn't mind nearly as much this time. In fact he wore the lips around for the rest of the day! puckerup:

I'm not sure we will eat here again. We liked the food the first time, but the jury is still out this time. The character interaction was a lot of fun and great. This would be a good place for little girls or boys to celebrate a special event.
:thumbsup2

Your trip looks like you had a lot of fun! I was very glad to see a dinner review of Akershus, since we are going there. I can find reviews for breakfast, but dinner reviews were few and far between. It sounds like you enjoyed it, even if the jury is out. My DH's family is Scandanavian, so he and our nieces are looking forward to this meal. Keep the reviews coming!

Also, the shirts your DD's are wearing in the pictures are awesome, and look handmade. Did you get them somewhere, or make them yourself? And tell your DS he should be ashamed of washing off Ariel's kiss years ago!

Also, the shirts your DD's are wearing in the pictures are awesome, and look handmade. Did you get them somewhere, or make them yourself?

Thank you for the kind words about the shirts. Yes they are handmade. We started out trying to do the Mickey tye-dye using the directions I found on this site. My kids didn't use quite enough dye to make the Mickey's stand out. My DH came up with the idea to use fabric paint in the Mickey's. We used yellow, red, and blue and just scribbled squiggles in the Mickey's. Then we put a sheet of computer paper on top and kind of squished the squiggles around. And you can see the results.

This is a favorite for all of us. It is on our list of places we always eat at at least once during our stay. My DDad insists on it. It brings back memories of my Grandmothers' kitchens. And of course the old TV show clips are fun to watch. My kids even recognized some of the shows from Nick at Nite.

Here's what we ate:

Me: Fried Herb Cheese, Pot Roast, Smores
DH: Onion Rings, Sirloin Steak, Seasonal cobbler (I think it was berry)
DD1: Caesar Salad, Chicken, Smores
DD2: Chicken Noodle Soup, Fried Chicken, Brownie Sundae
DS: Fried Herb Cheese, Pot Roast, Smores, Chocolate Malt
DDad: Shrimp Cocktail, Fried Chicken, Brownie Sundae
DMom: Caesar Salad, Fried Chicken (no desert, diabetic and no fruit available)

The Fried Herb Cheese was great! It came with crusty French bread to spread it on and stawberries and melon on the side. DS and I both enjoyed it. The onion rings were said to be good. DDad is a shrimp cocktail eater and said it was very good. DD2 loves her soup and this was no exception. The entrees came and all were very good. The only problem we had was the vegetable with the Chicken was Greens. My DDs and DDad couldn't stomach eating them. The girls knew they would be in trouble for not eating them, so they tried to hide them. Aunt Patty caught them and made everyone say Shame on You! and shake fingers at them. Another issue was the root vegetable that came with the Pot Roast. DH thought it was mashed potatoes and the look on his face at the taste was priceless. :eek: I wish I would have had the camera ready. The deserts could have been shared as all were very ample in size.

This was DD1 actual birthday (I know she celebrated for three days) so she got a card from all our cousins in the room.

I know this will be a location we all return to during our future trips.

This meal requires an explanation as my kids are 16, 14, and 12 and it is a Playhouse Disney meal.

We went to the Concierge to ask for a breakfast on one morning as we had an extra table service meal. She misunderstood that we would eat anywhere and asked which park we were going to be at that day. We were planning on spending the day at MGM, so she gave us this restaurant PS. We didn't realize it was a Playhouse Disney meal until we arrived and realized we were the only adult/teens in the place without small children with us. I recognized JoJo and Goliath, but had no idea who the other two characters were. My DS asked if that was Dora and our server said no and please don't call her that. She then explained that the other two characters were June and Leo from the Little Einsteins.

The food was your basic breakfast buffet food. There are scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and sausage gravy, muffins, rolls, breads, fresh fruit and of course Mickey waffles. DS and DMom love biscuits and gravy and said this was good sausage gravy. I personally had a blueberry muffin and it was nice and moist. The scrambled eggs were not dried out like can sometimes happen at buffets. The bacon was nice and crispy and of course the Mickey waffles were good.

As I said on the 50's post (sorry these got out of order :blush: ) this was DD1's actual 16th birthday, and she had the buttons to prove it. She already had two in English and our server found her one in Spanish. The Playhouse hostess saw the buttons and said oh are we going to embarrass you. The characters all came around and visited our table. I'm not sure they knew what to do with this table full of adults either. And DS behaved himself and didn't call June, Dora. When it was time for the party she came over and got DD and pulled her to the front. DD was I think glad that her friends couldn't see her now. But oh little did she know that we had photographic evidence.
618-006MGMLexiedancingatHollywoodan.jpg
618-004MGMLexiedancingatHollywoodan.jpg

This would be the perfect spot for the preschool early elementary crowd. The kids here seemed to really enjoy the characters and the buffet even included a short area for the kids to help themselves. If my kids were younger we might come back.
:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter