7 months pregnant and husband having an affair...what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, I feel for you... I wish you strength and peace...

I'm not sure if this is the same state to state, but when I was preparing to leave my husband, my attorney advised me to take half of all of our liquid assets and put them into a single name account that he could not touch. He actually told me I could take alll the cash out if I wanted, since they were joint accounts and each of us had equal rights, but that would make me look nasty, so he suggested I just take half, before the ex got a hold of it. Also told me to take anything of any personal, emotional value out the day I leave, so as not to have to battle over it later. Start shipping things you would like to have to your parents. Or have them come visit and take things with them if you acn not leave immediately. I forgot a box of "highschool momentos" and did have to have it included in the divorce proceedings... jerk, like what would he want with my yearbooks, scrapbooks, trophies etc.???

I walked away from our house and everything we owned together, because in the end it was just "things" and my peace of mind was so much more important.

Like someone said, document everything, keep a notebook, with dates, conversations etc. If he wants to come to collect things, I suggest having a friend or neighbor over "for coffee" while he is going to be there so that you are not forced to engage in unpleasantness.

Best of luck to you.:love:

GREAT ADVICE HERE TO OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can hold up, and you and baby are ok, get your things in order before you make any quick decisions!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry OP. This just breaks my heart. I have NEVER been one to say cheating is a deal-breaker or "once a cheater, always a cheater, " but in this case I think what he's done would have destroyed any chance that I'd remain with him. I'm sorry, I know you say you still love him, but I think he's a disgusting pig's ***.

You got a lot of good advice. I can offer only a cyber-hug and my prayers, but it sounds like you're keeping a clear head and are getting things in order.

I would like to reiterate a couple things others have said:

I would move back to Canada as soon as possible (definitely before baby comes). And don't trust this "man" about anything. I wouldn't even trust him to tell me if it was raining outside or not. As painful as it is, he has shown you that he does not have your best interest in mind at all and I think that's only going to get worse.

I have not read the entire thread, but please be sure you will be covered for medical as soon as you enter Canada.

My husband is Canadian and he told me, you might need to be a resident of the providence, for something like 30 to 90 days. Check first. He could be wrong as he hasn't lived there for 12 years.. lol

I have not read the entire thread, but please be sure you will be covered for medical as soon as you enter Canada.

My husband is Canadian and he told me, you might need to be a resident of the providence, for something like 30 to 90 days. Check first. He could be wrong as he hasn't lived there for 12 years.. lol

My experience has been when moving province to province you have a 90 day wait but if you are moving from out of the country your coverage can begin on the day you enter that province. The on line websites will list this info.........

My experience has been when moving province to province you have a 90 day wait but if you are moving from out of the country your coverage can begin on the day you enter that province. The on line websites will list this info.........

I may be wrong (I'm not Canadian) but I think you are right and there are also emergency provisions for pregnant women as well. OP can double check this easily.

Despite all the anger and disgust and generally wondering what the heck happened in the last two days...I still love him. It's pathetic. A huge part of me doesn't want the two of them together because she'll end up hurting him. Seriously, that can't be normal, I'm supposed to hate him, I wish I did, it would make this a lot cleaner.

I am so very sorry this has happened to you :hug:.

You are not pathetic, you love a man you thought you would be with for the rest of your life, a man you were going to have a child with. The problem is that man is not real, he showed his real true self by cheating on you, talking about not wanting the baby, not even showing concern with the horrible text messages the mistress sent you.

I agree with the doctor and attorney appointments asap. You have got to take care of yourself medically and financially. How far away does this mistress live from you? I would be worried about her. Document everything, try to not be alone anywhere, be aware of your surroundings, you never know what an unstable person might do. I am not trying to scare you, I am just wanting you to be proactive.

I just returned to Canada at the end of August after four years abroad, and that has not been my experience. I've had to pay out of pocket for some rather expensive tests that couldn't wait for the three month waiting period. However, there may be some way to make a special appeal to the province's medicare plan.

Even if the OP isn't covered, her child will be as soon as he is born. Therefore, the medical costs would likely be less than a couple of thousand dollars, assuming that a C-section isn't necessary.

However, her current insurance may be willing to cover her care in Canada until her waiting period is up, or she may be able to get bridging insurance to cover that period. DH and I have taken it out with Sun Life, and they will cover us for any expenses for the three months - although we have to pay up front, they will reimburse us.

Thank you for such fast responses. I wanted to touch on what a few people have said.

As far as finances go, I'm just assuming from my shaky legal knowledge that I will be entitled to half of everything we purchased as a married couple, which is basically everything we own. I would have to rely on him to some extent to get things moving on selling the house, cars, etc.

We both have good jobs, I make slightly more than he does and he already made a comment about not wanting to pay child support because I have the higher income and "that's not fair." So that might be a battle. I actually don't know if a court can make him pay child support if I move to a different country. One reason I'm nervous to leave is my job - without going into detail, it's a job I'd have a hard time replacing in the area of Canada my parents live, and if I just up and leave, they won't hold it open for me here. Being unemployed at this point in my pregnancy was not on the cards - we have savings but a lot of them are tied up and it will take time to get them split up. As I said, my parents could finance things for a while, but gosh I hate to do that to them.

This sounds absolutely absurd, but I just never thought this would happen to me. No one in my family has ever gotten divorced, no single parents or anything. My parents are the sweetest, kindest people, and they love DH (they'll love him a lot less after this) - they're going to be so shocked. I just get short of breath even thinking about actually picking up the phone and calling them to tell them this.

I assumed custody would not be an issue - he said he wants nothing to do with this baby and I can take him with me. He did make some comment about me moving back to Canada and him never getting to see him, but I don't understand how he can say such opposite things at the same time. One problem will be his parents. They are sweet, generous people who have done SO much for this baby already - they bought everything for the nursery, a stroller and car seat, put a huge amount of money aside to start a college fund - and they're so excited to finally have a grandchild living nearby (their other four grandkids are on the east coast). I know they'll be devastated, and I actually wonder if my mother in law would legally try to stop me leaving.

I called my phone company and had the texts from this girl blocked because they were so horrible. She started forwarding me on messages from him - there was even one he sent her this afternoon while I'm sat here going through hell saying something like "in such a good mood today, miss you loads, can't wait to talk to you later." I have kept them, so I have them if necessary. There is no WAY this baby will be going near her.

I have definitely considered a therapist - I'm going to check out that Psychology Today website and look for someone that will take my insurance, even just for a week or two while I try to think things out.

Despite all the anger and disgust and generally wondering what the heck happened in the last two days...I still love him. It's pathetic. A huge part of me doesn't want the two of them together because she'll end up hurting him. Seriously, that can't be normal, I'm supposed to hate him, I wish I did, it would make this a lot cleaner.

I'm sorry, but the bolded is a huge assumption. If you stay in California and your husband wants it, he will likely get visitation. If he's still with her, there is a good chance your baby would be staying with him and the unstable one. You can try to get a restraining order, but you can't count on it.

I think you should go to Canada asap (like yesterday), but talk to a good divorce atty in the US first.

:hug:

I haven't read all the responses, but I am SO sorry for what you are going through. I am the mother of 2 girls who are just now 19 and Freshmen in college and I can tell you they and all of their friends the same age are still VERY immature and I can't imagine them getting involved in something like this, but I really can't imagine the type of man who at your husband's age would get involved .... he can't be a good person.

So basically you really don't want to be heading into your future with him and you want better for your son.

Talk to your parents. They will want the best for you. Not sure how the health insurance works in Canada....are you a citizen? But perhaps you will be covered there with their health care.

I would check into the health care situation...you never know if your baby will need a lot of care (when mine were born they were in ICU for two weeks, so insurance is important). But if he is born in Canada maybe the baby will be covered.

I so hope you find a way out of this situation. You deserve better than what this man is giving you.

I am not exaggerating. I would pack a suitcase and be on a plane to Canada tomorrow. I could not sleep next to that man, or be in the same home for one more day. He also sounds somewhat unstable and violence against pregnant women is not unheard of unfortunately.

I would make a new and happy life for my son, with my family that would love him and look out for us.

...but can I just say that once you get all the immediate details worked it, you've got a wonderful future ahead of you. Your only 29 (young)...and have a beautiful baby on the way....and parents who are able to provide you with some emotional support. They may seem like hurdles---but child care, a job, and eventually your own place (and eventually new relationships) are all things that women deal with every day--you'll put this all together and move forward just fine.

Put you husband in your past and head into the future---new baby, new country, new identity as a "mom"---it's all there for the taking! Pretty exciting in some ways!

Does the company you work for offer an employee assistance plan (EAP)? If so, call them. It is one of the most under estimated benefits out there....they can help with temporary housing, legal referrals, if you relocate- new doctor/move medical records etc.

Good luck....

First, I want to send you a big HUG!!! I am so sorry you are going through this. You already got so much good advice. I just want to offer you words of strength.

You will be fine. In fact, in time, you will see how much better off you are without him. Women are VERY strong. Believe in yourself!!! You can do this!!! It sucks, it hurts and you are mad... Embrace your feelings, it is normal. Counseling is a good thing. Seek out the help of friends and family when needed. Most importantly, please take care of yourself and your precious baby.

Hugs

I have been through something very similar...I had 2 children (I was still nursing my youngest when my husband had an affair)...

Here is what I would suggest you do...

Above all else PRAY...God WILL get you through this, I guarantee it!!

1. Get your finances in order...if you are both on an account CLOSE the account and put it in your name ONLY!! (This is what I did) Change all passwords!! Contact your credit card companies and get your name taken off all joint cards and open new ones in your name ONLY!!

2. Tell your parents (and his too, if they will listen and believe you). They are your support system and will take you in with open arms no matter what their retirement dreams are. I know this because I live with my retired parents who are living their retirement dreams and travel a lot. You will have a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, food on your table and housing bills being paid while you go through this aweful...that way you won't have to think while you are so distressed!!

3. Get all your belongings together...anything that is important to you!!

4. BEFORE you contact an attorney...make sure you have a family member or close friend that you can have be your ears and really listen to what attorney's are saying...bring them with you each and EVERY time you see the attorney. DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT you confidante's approval!! When you are in this state of distress sometimes you don't listen and think clearly and that is a very bad mistake (I know, I have been there). Really think about what you are agreeing to BEFORE you sign anything. Really ponder this stuff and make sure it is what YOU want!!

5. Keep track of EVERYTHING...all calls, texts, emails, when he is home and when he is not home, when he leaves the house and when he comes back home...jot down the times for these things!! Keep a journal.

These are the things you have to do NOW!!

Take care of yourself...you have a baby that needs you...remember to breathe. You can do this and you will be better off than you are now!!

I'm so sorry you are going through this right now, OP. Definitely consider you and your baby first.

One thing to note, though. You need to ask your lawyer about legal rights of your husband to the baby. Many here have advised to not put his name on the birth certificate. At least in Illinois, this won't help if you are married at the time of the birth. I assume most states will be the same. There is a loophole that when a woman is married, the spouse becomes the legal father of the child regardless (even if he is not the bio. father- go figure that!) So you won't be doing anything by not putting his name on the birth certificate. You may want to explore the option of him signing over the rights to the child now to cut the tie free and clear. I don't know if there is a legal way to sign over rights before the child is born, though, so that would be something to ask the lawyer. If he does that, keep in mind you will not be eligible for child support from him. The flip side of that on a positive is he has no rights and therefore can't cause trouble down the road.

Good luck to you, OP. I am saying a prayer for you and your baby right now! (Don't forget God in this...He will help you!) Please keep us posted!

If you were my daughter I would want you to come home asap. Everything else can be worked out later but you need to be with the people who love you unconditionally and that is your parents. They can help you with what you will need to do every step of the way, and they will be there for you when you need them. Please pick the phone up and call them now.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Just know that you have so much more in life to look forward to. You and your sweet son deserve someone who will love you and who will be there for you. You will have this, but this loser is not the one.

I just wanted to say thank you again for the advice - I never imagined so many people would read my post and take the time to write back.

I called my OBGYN and made an appointment for Monday (I work all weekend) to go in and get checked out. I'm going to let him know what's going on so he can check the baby isn't being harmed by the stress. I'm also going to make sure I'm in a good enough condition if I do fly home - the flight would be to the east coast of Canada, so it would be a long one. I love my OBGYN, so I'll be sad if I do leave and have to meet a new one so close to delivery.

DH did call about an hour ago and asked me to pack a bag for him for the night so he could stay elsewhere. I packed a small bag for him with essentials, if he wants more than that he'll have to get it himself, I can't be lifting suitcases around. To be honest, I'm relieved - I want the place to myself for the night to try to figure out what to do. I put his bag by the front door, so I'm hoping I won't have to see him get it.

I'm going to call an attorney tomorrow morning too - I know of a very good divorce attorney who will at least meet with me and tell me where I stand for free. I hadn't considered how long it would take for a divorce to go through but I guess we could see if we file now, if I would still be on his insurance by the time the baby comes. My job offers insurance after a year working there, and I only started at this particular location in February.

I would be really sad to leave here. We have a two cats I adore, and DH doesn't do anything to take care of them, so I'd be worried about leaving them. I guess if I left for good I could look at bringing them with me at some point. I love where I grew up in Canada and I love my family to bits, but I worked SO hard to get to where I am and I always wanted to live here.

I promise I am trying to take care of myself for my baby - to be honest, I'm pretty much functioning for him now. If I wasn't pregnant, chances are I'd still be in bed today at the end of a bottle of wine, but I made myself eat healthily (with a little extra chocolate) and go for a walk. I really hope the stress isn't affecting him and he's ok in there.

I just read this whole thread and my heart breaks for you, OP. :(

I'm glad you have an appointment with your ob/gyn, and hopefully he will give you ideas about emotional support as well through a therapist.

I'm also VERY glad you are meeting with an attorney tomorrow. Discuss ALL of the possible scenarios and ramifications of each with him/her...staying in California and divorcing, moving to Canada, etc. You really need to have strong legal advice before deciding what your eventual decision will be.

And finally, you really must call your parents. They love you, and you know in your heart that YOUR well-being and that of their grandchild trumps any kind of travel and fun they are having now. They need to know, and YOU need them to know.

Lots of :hug::hug::hug: to you.

First of all I am SOOOO sorry for what you are going through. I went through the awful affair/moving out and I had 3 kids and had been a SAHM for almost 16 years when he came home and moved out.

There have been some amazing suggestions on here. I will say get yourself a divorce attorney that also has some experience in international divorce as well so that you know that you are covered if you do decide to leave and go to Canada.

Get yourself to a therapist as soon as possible just because divorce/affairs are such an emotionally draining experience and having a qualified professional to be there for you and help you through the issues you are going through now and will go through until you figure out your next move is crucial. My ex left me on a Thursday and I was in a therapists office on Monday. Best move I ever made. It really helped me process what I was feeling so that I could continue to go forward with a clear head.

CALL YOUR PARENTS!!!!! Don't wait another minute...call them!!! You NEED support! You deserve support and I'm sure your parents will be what you need in that department. They can put their new "life" on hold for a bit to help you get through this. When my ex came home to tell me he was moving out I went outside and called my parents while he was packing his stuff to get out. My parents arrived 15 minutes after he left and they were a godsend to me and have been and continue to be amazing in their support of me. I too was the only person in my family to be divorced and while I hate the stigma my parents especially and SOME of my family have been amazing.

I will go against some and say no way would I call his parents!!! I feel it's a really bad idea. If you leave they can take all the baby stuff back but I really don't think I would get involved with his parents. It could potentially bite you in the butt later down the road and I'm not sure you need that.

Good for you going in to see your doctor. That's a wise move. I think I was more afraid to go get tested than anything just because you never know.

I would suggest getting your financial house in order but I wouldn't liquidate anything until you speak to an attorney. Mine advised me to not leave the house, not liquidate assets and to only take a bit of the cash from the accounts but to go to the bank and get a dated printout of what was in the account. That way if he did take it all he'd have to prove to a judge why he emptied the account and that there was money in there at one point.

As for getting 1/2...just because you are entitled to it doesn't mean you'll get it. My attorney told me to plan on getting very little and if I did get what I was entitled to then consider myself lucky. Thankfully my ex was VERY fair with me and never tried to screw me out of anything I was entitled to but then we had 3 kids together, a 19 year marriage (mostly built on lies) and a weird mutual adult respect of each other.

Last of all take care of yourself and that precious baby. Make sure you eat even if you don't feel like it. I lost 25 lbs when my husband walked out the door because I could NOT eat. It's important for you to eat and take care of yourself and that baby.

This time sucks rocks...but it IS survivable. Turn to your family, friends,church, work friends whatever but get a good support system for yourself.

Seriously don't put off calling your parents. Do it NOW!!! You NEED them!! I know you probably don't think you do but honestly you DO!!!!!

Hang in there!! It's going to be a rough yucky road but it will eventually end. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

The website mentioned earlier www.survivinginfidelity.com is a great tool!! I relied on them a lot when my ex left. One more thing.....this was posted on that site and I feel every person going through this with a cheating spouse should read it and really think about what it says because in my opinion truer words were never spoken!!!

Honey they always affair down......
http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/forums.asp?tid=326449

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with another SIer and a couple of the things we talked about are recurring topics – especially for the newly betrayed wife. After DDay, we take such a hit to our self-esteem, and question what it was about the other woman that was so attractive to our husbands? Why did they get the best parts, when we were left with the worst? The truth is, that is not how this works. She is not more attractive. She does not get the best parts.

What’s is attractive about the OW is that they are the sickest, the weakest, the most injured of the pack. The insecure WH (wayward husband), wanting to feel strong and powerful, scans the herd for the easiest to kill. The self assured, the strong, the healthy will not do as those women want nothing to do with a married man. Our wayward husbands, needy and looking for someone to boost his ego, must look for someone beneath them, someone who will look up to him, someone who will make him feel superior, if only temporarily. What better way for an insecure person to feel powerful, and admired, than to pick the least of the bunch? The fact is … they always trade down. If she happens to be prettier, or thinner – it’s just pure luck that the wrapping is worth more than the gift inside. What’s inside, is no match for you. You’re beautiful, and faithful, strong and possibly the mother of his children. The truth is, the OW could be anyone, anyone slow enough to be caught and willing to accept what little our husbands had to offer.

She accepts the very worst parts of our husbands; the liar, the cheater, the deceiver, the broken man. His behavior is lower than low, but that’s okay with her. She’s accepts trashy behavior, because she is trash. She has no self-esteem because she knows her value … her value as the weakest, the most injured of the herd. She accepts his cheating ways and lowlife behavior because she knows her place in the pack – and it’s at the end of the row. Bringing up the rear, it’s just a matter of time before someone singles her out, and uses her for his own selfish reasons in his quest to be admired.

So what happens when we catch him with her? Most often he leaves her where he found her, at the end of the row, at the back of the pack – even weaker and more injured than when he found her. She’s worse for the wear. Trust me, it is her self-esteem that is eroded, not ours. After all, she wasn't able to keep him even considering he was in a "loveless, sexless" marriage to a "cold-hearten woman." Because isn't that the way it always is? How pathetic that she's given the answer to the test, gave it her all, and she still failed? Self-esteem erosion 101.

Retake your position at the front of the pack. More often than not, it’s you he’s fighting for; it's you he's sorry for; it’s you he’s trying to be a better man for. Regain your strength. Retake your rightful place.

Betrayal hurts, I know. Boy, do I know. But remember, when they find someone weak enough to have an affair with, they always affair down.

Power and peace to all of the newly betrayed wives today.

Hang in there...it WILL get better!!!! I promise!

Your post made me cry. I don't have advice but I just wanted to send you some :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm glad you're figuring out what you're going to do and I hope it'll all work out. Bless you :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter