52 Week Savings Challenge

This is interesting timing because I just posted something similar to this on another board.

What I do when I have a big vacation coming up is place $20 in an envelope every week to be used for spending money. Since my vacations are usually planned a year in advance, it gives me plenty of time to do this.

I don't miss the $20 each week and it sure adds up fast. For our upcoming cruise, I will have $1320 in that envelope because I have been adding my $20 each week since I booked it. :thumbsup2

I love the reverse idea!! I might do that!

Or I thought I could hang up the chart on the fridge and maybe skip around amounts, crossing out the weeks/amounts as I "use" them. That way if I could only come up with- say- $40 dollars one week, I could cross out the $40 week, leaving the smaller amounts for harder weeks and using the higher amounts for easier weeks.

I am going to use a cookie jar :)

Or I thought I could hang up the chart on the fridge and maybe skip around amounts, crossing out the weeks/amounts as I "use" them. That way if I could only come up with- say- $40 dollars one week, I could cross out the $40 week, leaving the smaller amounts for harder weeks and using the higher amounts for easier weeks.

This is what I was thinking of doing is saving whatever amount best fits my budget that week and then cross it off. That would work best for us, because DH's pay varies so much and plus trying to save the higher amounts in December, at Christmas, would be way hard!!! ;)

I'm joining in too- but mine will be in £' s not $' s, but it's a great idea- going for the reverse plan also.:goodvibes

i like this.

thanks to the op for posting too!

Hey, I'm so glad I found this thread! I posted about this on the budget board, and the very first response I got was about how useless of an idea it was.:guilty:

I transferred my $1 to savings today, but now you have me thinking that it might be easier to manage in reverse. :scratchin I may have to look into that.

I just printed out a copy to hang on my fridge for extra motivation and a reminder. ::yes::

I absolutely love this idea. I like the thought of one of the posters who said if there wasn't enough money to cross off a different day then when you have the extra put back to the day you substituted.

This is a great idea - can anyone share the method they use to do the savings, i.e. cookie jar, online savings account, and how you plan to "set aside" the money? I ask because we

(a) don't often use physical cash (to put in a jar)
(b) don't have a bank branch near us, and use online banking a lot

Thanks for sharing.

If you use a debit card, you can get cash back at no extra cost at most stores.

I think it sounds like an awesome way to put aside some vacation money. Thank you, OP

I'm going to add this on top of my current savings plan. Right now I have $30 taken directly out of my paycheck and put in to savings so I never actually "see" it. If I don't see it, I don't miss it! Then, at the end of every week, if I have anything left (doesn't happen often TBH) I throw that in savings as well. I'm trying to save up a little bit for university next fall.

I'm definitely going to start at the lower end. I work retail and while I had amazing hours these past couple pf weeks, I've been dropped to 12 for the next two! :scared1: :sad: I'm hoping that when school starts back up again I can get the extra shifts the students are leaving behind, and only a little while before those spring hours pick up again! But I can definitely do the $1 -$10 a week without any problem.

HippieChickadee said:

I like this idea. If not during the end that's a lot to save. Easier to even it up a bit.

I think it would be easier to have your bank pull $27 out of your checking acct every week & put it into savings - actually maybe do 30 so it is easier to figure your acct - then you don't have to think about it & it is done

I started doing this 12 years ago. It started at $25 a week. When I could, I would increase it with promotions and raises. I am now at $60 a week and it truly is my mad money. It is an auto-deposit into an account that does not have an ATM card attached to it. If I want the money, I have to go into the bank during bank hours.

HippieChickadee said:
You may have seen this going around social media today, but this is as social media as I get so I wanted to share and see who wants to try it?

I saw this today and started, but I back tracked to Dec 1 as wk 1. Because I would like to use this money for our Disney Trip Dec 7th,2012.

I saw this on FB today... I printed it out and it's on my frig. We are Cruising DCL Dec7th. So I back tracked my 1st week to the 1st week of Dec. I have $21.00 in a huge jar... This is where we have our loose change as well.

This year we started to work off of cash and have found our money goes further. We have BOA with keep the change program connected to our acct but I find myself or my DH transferring money over from our savings. Defeats the purpose .

From sept to Dec we collected over $200 in change in our jar. So for this I think for cash users this might be do able. I would be interested to see how far I can get especially adding loose change to it as well.

Here's to saving money and many new Disney Adventures for 2013...

I'm definitely going to start at the lower end. I work retail and while I had amazing hours these past couple pf weeks, I've been dropped to 12 for the next two! :scared1: :sad: I'm hoping that when school starts back up again I can get the extra shifts the students are leaving behind, and only a little while before those spring hours pick up again! But I can definitely do the $1 -$10 a week without any problem.

12 hours a week kind of sounds nice right now. I worked 11 hours today and I'm going in Sat and Sun. No OT for tomorrow either because of the holiday :sad:

I hear ya on the short checks though. That stinks.

12 hours a week kind of sounds nice right now. I worked 11 hours today and I'm going in Sat and Sun. No OT for tomorrow either because of the holiday :sad:

I hear ya on the short checks though. That stinks.

I do have to admit, for the first week or two its going to be nice. We just got finished with the Christmas rush where we would work 10 hour days (No OT because of our breaks) and even when I was scheduled to get of at midnight I was lucky to be out by 1. I can definitely use the break, but check being less then half of what I'm used to will be hard!

I saw this today and started, but I back tracked to Dec 1 as wk 1. Because I would like to use this money for our Disney Trip Dec 7th,2012.

I like this idea because we leave for WDW on Thanksgiving Day this year. I'm going to start today and do it in reverse :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!