50 Points Enough?

We added 100 ts direct at BWV back in 2021, for BWV only, not to be used as SAPs. This gets us at minimum a 1 BR Std Sun-Fri every year for 95 pts. which IMO is a necessity if you go in Sept. One of the best deals if you like Sept. We do a WP or a hurricane (Ian) and have a great time. Our 160 pts at BLT is for everything else.
How difficult is it to get a BWV 2-Bedroom either Feb or April at 7 months? I ask bc I’m looking at SS SAP’s (80-100 points) to add to my 50 point BWV contract. I do want to keep the 50 so we can get a BWV studio at 11 months if we want.

So we are going to probably go every other year. I am hoping to get either a studio for a week or a 2- Bedroom for 5 days Sun-Thurs. if I bank and borrow 100 points should be enough..right?

It should but keep in mind that DVC has the right to change the % of points that can be banked and borrowed, like they did when they reduced it to 59% borrowing with Covid.

That stinks. I thought that that only happened because of the backlog of points during Covid.

That stinks. I thought that that only happened because of the backlog of points during Covid.

That was the reason but the rules allow for them to make changes if it is needed. No one thought something like an actual closure would ever happen, but It did.

So, it’s just good for people to know that the POS allows for Banking and borrowing. But the rules around that are up to DVC and they can change them f they see a need to keep the system in balance.

After you take your first trip you will discover the difference between what you need and what you want. Addonitis… The struggle is real.

After you take your first trip you will discover the difference between what you need and what you want. Addonitis… The struggle is real.
Yes I agree but I also don’t want to be stuck with extra points that I can’t use. I know I can rent but have you seen the rental inventory on the sites?

Yes I agree but I also don’t want to be stuck with extra points that I can’t use. I know I can rent but have you seen the rental inventory on the sites?
What you do is you take your extra points and bank them to the next year. You can keep doing that and then eventually you’ll have a year where you have enough points for an extra night, or nicer room. It’s easy to not waste them. The only time I wasted points was when I first got my AKV contract. I was past my banking window. It was towards the end of the year when most stuff was booked so renting them was hard. I ended up patching together and merging 1 one bed reservation together for new years but still ended up wasting a few points… but that was just a one time thing based on when I bought.

That is the stage I am at. I am looking at contracts and making a 5-year plan about how I will use the points.

How difficult is it to get a BWV 2-Bedroom either Feb or April at 7 months? I ask bc I’m looking at SS SAP’s (80-100 points) to add to my 50 point BWV contract. I do want to keep the 50 so we can get a BWV studio at 11 months if we want.
Not easy. All 2BR at BW are lock offs, so if the studios are gone, the 2BR are gone. Other resorts for 2BR might be easier, just book it all AKL or something. BW has a challenging floorplan for this. This could work if you just need the Tuesday or something, but it's especially risky in BW.

What you do is you take your extra points and bank them to the next year. You can keep doing that and then eventually you’ll have a year where you have enough points for an extra night, or nicer room. It’s easy to not waste them. The only time I wasted points was when I first got my AKV contract. I was past my banking window. It was towards the end of the year when most stuff was booked so renting them was hard. I ended up patching together and merging 1 one bed reservation together for new years but still ended up wasting a few points… but that was just a one time thing based on when I bought.
Oh wow!! I didn't realize you could bank your extra points each year, because I was thinking they would expire if you don't use them. So you could bank 3 years of points or you are just saying that if you stay every other year you could continually bank unused points?

Oh wow!! I didn't realize you could bank your extra points each year, because I was thinking they would expire if you don't use them. So you could bank 3 years of points or you are just saying that if you stay every other year you could continually bank unused points?
Banked points will expire the next year. What OP says only will work if you travel every year and use the banked points that’ll expire.

Banked points will expire the next year. What OP says only will work if you travel every year and use the banked points that’ll expire.
awesome, thanks! That's what I thought just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

Yes… but you use the banked points the following year and then bank the following years points… I mean if your banking to many you will eventually hit a wall

Yes… but you use the banked points the following year and then bank the following years points… I mean if your banking to many you will eventually hit a wall

Yes, but that’s when you get to add an extra night or upgrade your room etc. when you end up with an entire allottmwnt if banked points!

Not easy. All 2BR at BW are lock offs, so if the studios are gone, the 2BR are gone. Other resorts for 2BR might be easier, just book it all AKL or something. BW has a challenging floorplan for this. This could work if you just need the Tuesday or something, but it's especially risky in BW.
Thank you this helps. I’m going to just wait for a 50-80 point BWV contract to pop up with my UY to add to my current and not stress. I really want to be guaranteed a studio or 2 bedroom at 11 months if I want it.

Thank you this helps. I’m going to just wait for a 50-80 point BWV contract to pop up with my UY to add to my current and not stress. I really want to be guaranteed a studio or 2 bedroom at 11 months if I want it.

BWV owner here. What time of year are you planning on traveling? Having owned at BWV since the last 23 years, I want to say nothing is guaranteed.

I used to get what I wanted at 11 months - standard view. Now I have to work hard to get that and sometimes I don't. Especially October to February. Right now I'm struggling to fill in one night for next December - in a garden view room. Standard and Boardwalk Views were gone so fast - at 8:01am 11 months out!

Looking at availability at any resort from now through June of 2023 it's slim pickings anywhere. But at least for most resorts other than BWV, rooms are available at 11 months, even at BCV, as we approach 2024.

I am one that will suggest if you want easier booking, buy almost anywhere but BWV.

BWV owner here. What time of year are you planning on traveling? Having owned at BWV since the last 23 years, I want to say nothing is guaranteed.

I used to get what I wanted at 11 months - standard view. Now I have to work hard to get that and sometimes I don't. Especially October to February. Right now I'm struggling to fill in one night for next December - in a garden view room. Standard and Boardwalk Views were gone so fast - at 8:01am 11 months out!

Looking at availability at any resort from now through June of 2023 it's slim pickings anywhere. But at least for most resorts other than BWV, rooms are available at 11 months, even at BCV, as we approach 2024.

I am one that will suggest if you want easier booking, buy almost anywhere but BWV.
We just bought boardwalk and waiting for points to be loaded and already freaking out that we won’t be able to book. Maybe it’s because or refurbishment?

I know I hear it’s really hard to book BWV. But now I just closed on 50 points. Should I add 80-100 at another resort? I’m ok with 2042’s.

We would probably book Feb-June for now until my kids are grown.

This is a hard dilemma.

I know I hear it’s really hard to book BWV. But now I just closed on 50 points. Should I add 80-100 at another resort? I’m ok with 2042’s.

We would probably book Feb-June for now until my kids are grown.

This is a hard dilemma.

Booking at 11 months should be somewhat easier Feb to June. Splitting your contracts into different resorts is a difficult decision as you can't combine until 7 months. I have 4 resorts all same use year and this works pretty well for me, but - I have enough points at each resort to book a stay that works.

I think you should use what you have for the moment until you get a feel for being an owner. It will be easier to make your decision as time goes on.

When I purchased 2042 put my age at late 80ties, so it works for me. I would say get some trips in and see what will work for you. There are so many variables such as age, immediate family, retirement planning, size of rooms you want, and how much money you want to spend, and whether Disney really is somewhere you want to visit for 1-50 years. Easier to grow your membership as time moves on - selling has been good for many but that's no guarantee it will continue.

facebook twitter