50 Points Enough?

You can buy up to 24 each UY. They can only be bought when making a reservation but you can do them over the course of several trips.

If you need to cancel those pints would still expire at the end of the UY.
Are these still only available at 7 mth mark, or can you now buy them at 11 mths?

We have no idea when you are traveling, and DVC is a product with crazy fluctuations in the chart. If you're trying to go at Christmas for 28 points a night, 50 points isn't going to get you far.

You need to look up the charts for when you travel and work backwards from there.

50 points won't get you far in a 1BR anywhere at any time. 29/32 points at BW, a cheaper chart, in a cheaper season.

I book mostly 1BRs, a 50 point contract wouldn't be very useful to me. And I wouldn't spend closing on it, because that costs makes the points cost so much more. I'd just buy a 100.

One thing to keep in mind is that BWV Standard view studios can be difficult to get. There are a LOT of people who bought 50 point contracts to stay specifically at BWV in studios, and the standard view makes those few points go further. So do all your math based off preferred view - if, with your every other year plan - you get standard more often than not, then you stay an extra day or two. But if you don't, you aren't shorting yourself on your stay. (Also, don't PLAN on Boardwalk View either. Hope for the best, plan for the worst - which is hope for your standard view studio to make your points go further, and a fallback of a BWV studio - and plan for looking at a pool.) DO NOT DEPEND ON STANDARD VIEW STUDIOS OVER FOOD AND WINE.

We have no idea when you are traveling, and DVC is a product with crazy fluctuations in the chart. If you're trying to go at Christmas for 28 points a night, 50 points isn't going to get you far.

You need to look up the charts for when you travel and work backwards from there.

50 points won't get you far in a 1BR anywhere at any time. 29/32 points at BW, a cheaper chart, in a cheaper season.

I book mostly 1BRs, a 50 point contract wouldn't be very useful to me. And I wouldn't spend closing on it, because that costs makes the points cost so much more. I'd just buy a 100.
We are probably going to go in February and are going to bank/borrow so should have 100. I think we will likely buy 50 more. 100 should meet our needs.

May be too late we just passed ROFR. We will probably buy one more 50 point. I know double closing costs.

I think 50 points is just not enough. You should get twice as much, or more, if you can. I REALLY don't think you would ever REGRET having the additional points. But DO make sure they are the same resort and Use Year, so you can roll them into one account. 50 points each in two different accounts would just be frustrating. I kind of run into that because I have Animal Kingdom points with two different Use Years and I always wish they were together. I get by and make it work, but it is just an extra hassle.

I would NOT recommend buying the additional points at BCV or Riviera. 50 points scattered out here and there just IS NOT ENOUGH to be comfortable with. At 7 months to 11 months you would have to book at two different resorts and only try to combine them into one resort after 7 months, and by that point EVERYONE else is booking, too, and it is hard.

I say this from experience. I have over 1000 points at 3 different resorts (AK, Poly and BLT) so I have enough to play around with and I can ALWAYS get something I like, BUT, I have a lot of points. If I had less, I can see exactly how hard it would be.

Trust me on this. Get the same resort and Use Year.
Circling back to this. I just closed on 50 point resale and now am thinking 50 point BWV direct to get my UY plus have access to future resorts. Thoughts?

Circling back to this. I just closed on 50 point resale and now am thinking 50 point BWV direct to get my UY plus have access to future resorts. Thoughts?
No way I’d buy BWV direct. You’ve got access to all the current resorts and nothing expires before 2042, when your points expire. If you want direct points for access to future resorts, buy something cheaper and/or with a longer expiration direct. If you want more time at BWV, buy more resale.

Thoughts about buying a 50 point BWV direct to add to my 59 point resale?
I would go with RIV direct instead. You can use those RIV direct points at BWV if you choose. It has the longest lifespan at the moment.

No way I’d buy BWV direct. You’ve got access to all the current resorts and nothing expires before 2042, when your points expire. If you want direct points for access to future resorts, buy something cheaper and/or with a longer expiration direct. If you want more time at BWV, buy more resale.
I agree - in the next few years, the only resorts you're "shut out of" are Riviera and Disneyland Tower (if you buy BWV resale instead of direct) If you really wanted to try Riviera, you could try renting points for a stay rather than committing to RIV resale (where 50 points won't get you much anyway).

i would stick with BWV resale in the same UY, use your 100ish points at BWV and other resorts, maybe rent points to try Riviera, and then see how you feel a few years down the line.

We love BWV, and almost bought there 6 years ago. Even though we didn't, we have used our points to stay at BWV in the intervening years. DH also wanted to buy BCV because of the pool (which he saw on our first stay there on rented points) - since then we've stayed at BCV multiple times on points that expire much later, and DH has not been agitating to buy BCV points any more. The 100 points at a single resort will give you more flexibility, as you're learning what your preferences withy DVC are.

I have 100 and will go for a week every year with leftover points- but I am a masochist and like September.

September is the best time if you have the availability…. Great points chart, and also lowest crowds at WDW….
We added 100 ts direct at BWV back in 2021, for BWV only, not to be used as SAPs. This gets us at minimum a 1 BR Std Sun-Fri every year for 95 pts. which IMO is a necessity if you go in Sept. One of the best deals if you like Sept. We do a WP or a hurricane (Ian) and have a great time. Our 160 pts at BLT is for everything else.

I think 200 is a safe bet for every other year and periodic splurges for larger/longer trips. 150 if being conservative.
So we are going to probably go every other year. I am hoping to get either a studio for a week or a 2- Bedroom for 5 days Sun-Thurs. if I bank and borrow 100 points should be enough..right?

facebook twitter