5 months in the Most Magical Place on Earth...my College Program TR

CHAPTER 3: Pop Century

When I left you, we had just picked up all of my bags and were heading to our home away from home….Pop Century! :cool1: :cool1:

3Ses9.jpg

That is a picture of our home away from home last summer...looks like a postcard!

Seriously, we LOVE this hotel. We have stayed at a few other resorts on property but always come back to the POP. And like all good disers we have our room preferences :) For some reason we aren’t big fans of the 70s 80s and 90s…we definitely like to stay to the right side of the hippity dippity pool.:confused3 If we don’t have a preferred room booked we always request building 3 or 4, high floor, lake view (sounds like one of those complicated orders at starbucks…Disney style! :rotfl:) but if we are preferred, building 4 facing the pool is where its at!

The weekend when we arrived was VERY busy because the marathon was going on and unfortunately we didn’t get a room in our favorite area…we were to the LEFT of the pool :scared1: and GROUND floor :scared1: but we did have a nice lake view and we were in the 60s section so it was all good :thumbsup2 Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the room like I usually do…think I was too excited that I was “home”! We were in this building:

O3PgM.jpg

I liked being there because I ALWAYS take a picture in front of that statue and send it to Alex (jungle book is his favorite movie)

And this was our view:

ioSrc.jpg

We were really tired after a long day of traveling…you lose your whole day flying from the west coast :sad1: so we got some food at the POP food court (again, no pictures…bad Natasha!) and hung out in the room – watching Stacey of course! After a while my mom went to bed and I met up with two people I had met on the Facebook group that were doing the program as well. Let’s call them Mickey and Belle…

I usually read and don't respond, but I see you're from Thousand Oaks! I'm in Woodland Hills so we're basically neighbors and I figured I had to say hello :wave:

I'm hoping to do the CP next fall (I graduate this spring) so am definitely looking forward to reading your report.

I usually read and don't respond, but I see you're from Thousand Oaks! I'm in Woodland Hills so we're basically neighbors and I figured I had to say hello :wave:

I'm hoping to do the CP next fall (I graduate this spring) so am definitely looking forward to reading your report.

Hey there neighbor! :wave2: Glad you are along for the ride! I don't usually see too many people from southern California on here. Are you planning on doing the CP in WDW or at DL?

PS...I love your annual pass breakdown :)

I'm in! I was in Disney while you were there last January for our honeymoon, but didn't eat at CRT. I also have a friend who did the CP (she worked at Mission Space), so I'm looking forward to reading about your experience!

So far, so great! I worked at WDW for a year as a CR (Cultural Representative) and I am looking forward to see what the college program offers~

:mickeyjum CAST OF CHARACTERS :mickeyjum

From this point on, there are going to be a lot of people mentioned in this trip report so I thought I would introduce (most) of them here. I will use the names of people that I am still in contact with and for others I will replace their names with a Disney character. So without further adieu…in no particular order…I present to you the cast of my college program!

Stars of the show (you will see these guys a lot)…

2Tv6a.jpg

During the time of this TR he was my fiancé (such a fancy word huh?) but is now my husband! We met on our first day of college and lived in the same dorms. We started dating our freshman year and the rest is history! We got married this past November in Maui and it was amazing :lovestruc We have been to WDW twice together – it isn’t his favorite place to vacation but we always have fun. Like I mentioned before, I am so thankful that I had his support during this program! I missed him like crazy but it was great to be able to live out one of my dreams and work for the mouse!

0MEPd.jpg

My mommy is the best. We are both Disney crazy and have the best time together while we are there! I am so glad that she came down to help move me in :goodvibes She ended up coming to visit two more times while I was on my program which was awesome! She is "mauigal" here on the dis!

fnntb.jpg

One of my roommates (luckily!) There is so much I could say about her…she is amazing and I’m SO glad I had her with me during the program. Belle and I had decided to try to look for another pair of girls to room with before we got to Orlando and I ended up messaging Lisa… she messaged Katie (other roommate!) and they decided to live together with us…the rest is history! Lisa was Full Service Food & Beverage like me and worked at Kona Café in the Polynesian (and is still seasonal there!). We had so much fun together it was unreal (you will read about some of our adventures here) She is back in Georgia now and about to graduate from UGA (go dawgs!) and we still talk everyday.

fLSEw.jpg

Last (but not least!!!) roommate. Katie was a lifeguard at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian during our CP. She always had amazing hours and had lots of family/boyfriend visits which we were jealous of :rotfl:. Katie is amazingly sweet and the three of us (Katie, lisa and myself) had lots of fun together!! Katie is back in West Virgina now and is about to run the relay marathon with her family at WDW in January!

(Didn’t I have the prettiest roomies? :))

eGE0d.jpg

AKA banannie. Annie was one of my coworkers at CRT. I love this girl! She was my first CRT friend :goodvibes Banannie is one of the nicest, funniest people I have ever met and I miss her terribly. She lived in a “mansion” in Chatham and had {mostly} really cool roommates. We had a lot of adventures together! After the program, Annie returned to Pennsylvania {wayyy too far from California for my liking}, graduated from school and is rocking the theatre world!

BDKhU.jpg

Another CRT coworker..and from the same school as Annie! For whatever reason, it took me a while to warm up to Ashley but I am so glad I did! We didn’t hang out that much but when we did it was always a good time. She lived in Vista. I had the most magical of magical moments with Ashley at the end of my program too! (stay tuned to read about that one!!)

p1ERx.jpg

My “twin”. Abby worked at CRT as well and a lot of people got us mixed up but really, we don’t look alike :confused3. Abby was pretty quiet at work when she first started but turned out to be one of the funniest people I know. She lived in Vista during our program and has since gone back to Kentucky and is finishing up school. Recently she was accepted for a summer internship here in LA and I really hope she gets to do it!!

7JTBs.jpg

Love this girl! Again, she was a CRT coworker (most of us got along really well haha) She lived in Patterson during our program but moved to Chatham right after I left (we could have been neighbors). Kristin was so much fun and super sweet! She met her Prince Charming, Brian, on the program :love: Her original departure date was the same as mine but she extended her program so she didn’t leave until August (lucky!) Now, she is back in Indiana working away and saving up to move back to Orlando with Brian.

Yd7Hg.jpg

Sam is amazing! And, you guessed it, ANOTHER CRT coworker. She lived in Vista during our program and didn’t have the best experience with roommates and ended up moving to Chatham. Her program was originally until August and, like Kristin, she extended so she is STILL THERE and doesn’t depart until the beginning of January. She is always telling me about how much she misses “our” group at CRT and it makes me miss everyone that much more!

2V6w8.jpg

Oh Zoe. She is hilarious. Another CRT lovely who I had a lot of fun with. She lived in Vista (and still does!). Zoe is from Australia and has the craziest accent. Her antics always kept me laughing. The program that she is on is a year-long program the first half she was in Full Service Food & Beverage and the second half she is in the Hospitality role working at Yacht and Beach Club! On her way back to Australia she is stopping in LA for a few days and I can’t wait to see her!

u6gxa.jpg

He was the only guy in our little group at CRT. It was pretty funny to see him transform from his usual, inappropriate self to a nice, sweet cast member at CRT. After the program he moved back to Nebraska where he is finishing up school.

Minor characters (might not see them too much so no photos yet!)…

Megan is somebody who I had talked to a few times on Facebook before going to Orlando (she had just gotten engaged about a month after me!) and then ran into all the time while on the CP. She was a Fairy Godmother in Training (FGIT) at the BBB in the castle! Since I worked in the castle too, we ran into each other all the time at work, in the mousketeeria, on the “A” bus, etc. Like Katie, she is amazingly sweet and I had a lot of fun talking wedding stuff with her!

Mickey is a person that I met on the Facebook group for CPs before heading to Orlando. He had done the program once before as a bellman at Yacht and Beach club and was very helpful during the application/waiting process whenever I had questions about something. He was accepted again for the Spring 2011 program as either hospitality or concierge {can't remember} but was also accepted for a Professional Internship in Casting so, of course, he took that! Mickey was offered a full time position in Casting after his internship and is still in Orlando :)

I met Belle on the Facebook group as well. She was always really sweet when we talked and since we had the same arrival/departure dates we decided to room together. She was accepted for a role in Attractions and ended up working the Great Movie Ride (her number one choice). During our program, she applied for a few professional internships so she could stay in Orlando when our program was complete and she was offered one in Guest Relations – Downtown Disney. Unfortunately, in person we did not mesh as well as we had online so we did not keep in touch after the program.

I hate putting Miss Sandra in the “minor characters” section because she was the sweetest, nicest person I have ever met. She works at CRT and "adopted" a lot of the CRT CPs. I miss Miss Sandra so much and still keep in contact with her :goodvibes

Mark was a funny character. He lived in the building across from me and he hung out with our group a few times. He always had candy with him and if anybody mentioned wanting something sweet…there he was with a handful of Starbursts :rotfl: He ended up self-terming because he wanted to go home. I’ve only talked to him a few times since being back but it sounds like things are good back in Nebraska with his girlfriend.

I worked with Janna at CRT. She was on a CP extension when I got there. Not going to lie, I was a little intimidated when I got to CRT because there was already a little clique with the CPs on their extensions and the full timers but the walls came down not too far into it and we had fun together. Janna is responsible for introducing us to Backbooth – a club downtown where we liked to go for 80’s night – and I am very thankful for that!

Lindsay: She was another CP on an extension at CRT. Lindsay is one of the sweetest people, she’s sassy and stylish :) Unfortunately, she ended up being termed pretty close to the end of my program but she is still down in Orlando and working at Universal.

Dan: One of Brent’s roommates who is from Boston. During our program he worked at Mission Space and he is still seasonal there.

Other people who may pop up…

April – CRT
Bessie -- CRT
Monica – CRT
Yelixa – CRT
Jill – CRT
Katrina – CRT
Ingrid – CRT
Michael – Kona
Brittany – Innoventions
Tyler – EPCOT Custodial
Jordan – Mission Space
Katchina – Emporium
Brenda – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Saffie – CRT
Duval – CRT
Kerri – Quick Service Port Orleans Riverside; banannie’s roommate
Courtney – Outdoor foods Magic Kingdom; banannie’s roommate
Kortney – Art of Disney; banannie’s roommate
Brian – Bus greeter; Kristen’s Prince Charming
Thomas – Bus greeter; Brian’s roommate
Beast – Belle’s (my roommate) boyfriend

Wow! That’s a big cast – got all that? ;)

I'm in! I was in Disney while you were there last January for our honeymoon, but didn't eat at CRT. I also have a friend who did the CP (she worked at Mission Space), so I'm looking forward to reading about your experience!

How fun! Who knows...maybe we crossed paths in the park sometime :lmao:
I see that you are going again in January, sounds like so much fun!!​

Great posts - so excited to hear more!! Especially about the living arrangements and proximity to the parks :cool1:

Hey there neighbor! :wave2: Glad you are along for the ride! I don't usually see too many people from southern California on here. Are you planning on doing the CP in WDW or at DL?

PS...I love your annual pass breakdown :)

WDW! I've had an annual pass to DL since sophomore year of high school (almost 9 years ago now... jeez time goes by quickly) and last year was my first visit to WDW; thus, I'm all about being adventurous and living in Orlando.

FSFB is one of the roles I might be interested in so I'm definitely looking forward to reading some more :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter