40th Bday - Universal & RPR - last minute plans are the best plans

So I'm not sure if I have mentioned but we are not big fans of Disney

Now I cannot judge too much as I have never been to a Disney Park (Maybe i am missing something)

Rob went with his son in 2013 and while they liked Disney they LOVED Universal. They found Disney more a chore and involved a lot of planning where as Universal was more up their street

I have seen and read enough vlogs and blogs and forums to know that Disney is just not for me, Universal is so chilled and the express passes are a treat (The Disney Fastpass system sounds irritating)

We did discuss maybe doing a disney park or 2 on this trip but decided against it, just seems more suited for kids and families of adults who have grown up loving Disney

We were Disney park commandos for many years! But as my boys grew and DH and I grow older, we needed to have a "chill out" vacation. Universal has given us just that! Minimal advance planning and express passes that don't require reservations are wonderful!! We do still visit Disney parks and restaurants- we choose to stay at our Universal resort while doing so!

Disney does have a lot for adults, in particular EPCOT and their festivals- Food & Wine especially! So it is worth a visit on longer trips, but day tickets are expensive so it's probably more worthwhile to keep chilling at UO!!:)

So I'm not sure if I have mentioned but we are not big fans of Disney

Now I cannot judge too much as I have never been to a Disney Park (Maybe i am missing something)

Rob went with his son in 2013 and while they liked Disney they LOVED Universal. They found Disney more a chore and involved a lot of planning where as Universal was more up their street

I have seen and read enough vlogs and blogs and forums to know that Disney is just not for me, Universal is so chilled and the express passes are a treat (The Disney Fastpass system sounds irritating)

We did discuss maybe doing a disney park or 2 on this trip but decided against it, just seems more suited for kids and families of adults who have grown up loving Disney

We`re exactly the same Matt...…...no interest in going to Disney at all...…..even when Kyle was younger, he had no real interest in it...….

I doubt we`ll ever go back......

I’m late with catching up with everyone’s trip reports but I love the picture of your dog!
So this was Jackson's face when he realised we were going away again

View attachment 341079

Poor little thing, we didn't have a good experience with his last boarder but we have found one through friends and we feel much more confident that he will have a great time without us

So further to trip planning - We are both rollercoaster nutters but also love all the simulators and both think Forbidden Journey is the best ride in the world, just so clever!

Rides that will be new for us are

Hulk - was sadly closed for refurbishment in 2015 so I have never ridden it, Rob hasn't been on it since 2013
Jimmy Fallon, Kong - Skull Island and F&F are all first time rides
Mako & hopefully Infinity Falls at SeaWorld
Cobra's Curse at Busch Gardens
Ray Rush at Aquatica
and off course Volcano Bay is all new for us
and off course Volcano Bay all new for us

We really want to visit the other universal hotels and will definitely be having a few drinks in Strongwater bar thanks to @schumigirl recommendations
We love the cocktails at RPR - the Witchdoctor is our fave, looking forward to some lazy pool days too

Foodwise
We really want to try Toothsomes
Red Lobster - need to repeat as last time my jet lag kicked in and I had to go home as I felt really sick
Fogo de chao
Millers Ale House
Bahama Breeze
Longhorns
Cowfish and Red panda on Citywalk and Voodoo Doughnuts!

And we love a drinkie so pretty much any bar in town we will try at least once :)

Unfortunately as we all know the GBP to US exchange rate is crap so we haven't got quite as much budget as last time but we are quite good at making our travel money last and as I will keep saying "its my 40th"

I thought Matt had started his report when I saw it up top..............

:rolleyes1 :D

Looking forward to this one..........:thumbsup2

Hi Folks,

We have returned and oh what a mighty thump it is

Arrived Sunday morning and back to work first thing Monday BOOM! But turned 40 over the Atlantic which was fun

Will be starting my trip report probably early next week, I have a busy week of work and then it's my Birthday party Sat Night so I think it will be a BIG weekend :):)

I've made notes for each day and have loads of pics so hopefully I wont forget anything!

Oh PS I hope I don't offend anyone on these boards but my experience at RPR wasn't great on this occasion but I will be very fair in my trip report of the good and not so good

You won`t offend anyone Matt...…….if it wasn't the best experience that`s a real shame...……I hate it wasn't perfect for you both!!

Looking forward to reading your report though...….and have a wonderful Birthday Party...…...big hugs to you and Rob :wave2:

So here goes, lets see how I do (sorry for lack of photo's from Day One, you will see why)

Wednesday 19th September

As is always the way, it had been a really busy few weeks at work in the lead up to the holiday. I work in HR and we are getting a new HR system so we are in the early stages of learning it so yesterday and today I was in training all day, knowing that my last 2 days in the office I'd be in training was tough

Anyways I cartwheeled out of the office and headed home. I travel an hour on the train but this journey home felt like 2, I was so desperate to get home and start the holiday.

I had felt a niggle in my back bottom tooth the day before and while it was on my mind I was hoping it would just go away. I'd been in and out of the dentist the last few months sorting out a few issues, teeth are my nemesis even though I do everything to keep them strong. Rob is a fitness professional and had his last Clubbercise class at 7pm so he would be home about 8:30pm. I walked in the door about 6pm and did my last bit of packing before getting the suitcases ready and cleaning up the house.
Rob had dropped off Jackson at the boarders earlier in the day, OMG I'd forgotten how easy it is to clean without a dog in the house but I missed him already!

As soon as Rob got home we brought in his equipment, speakers, lights and all the technical equipment. I then took the cases out to the car and I think we left about 8:45pm. We ate a few wraps id bought on the way home for dinner.

We had a pretty quiet journey to Gatwick, and arrived at purple parking around an hour later. We registered the car and got the bus over to the North Terminal (via the South terminal) C'mon already we wanted a beer

Love the Premier Inn, and I love the self service check in. So simple and fast. We had a room on the 6th floor, normally if we travel down during the day I will ask for a runway view but as we were only in the room for a few hrs I hadn't bothered

We literally dropped off our bags and went to the bar. As we were walking down the hllway Rob said "Look at your shirt" I stopped and turned and saw a hole! JACKSON STRIKES AGAIN. Little bugger must have done that that morning as I swear it was fine the night before. I blamed Rob anyway LOL. I changed my shirt and threw the other one in the bin, it was a primarni one anyway :)

We ordered 2 beers as we always do before any holiday, that's how we know its holiday time. We'd been waiting for this moment for 6 months

20180919_223615.jpg

We had some rowdy ladies next to us who must have been in the bar for some time earlier, next to them were a couple who kept staring and looking away when we looked, we assumed they had never seen 2 grown men drink beer before :):):):):)

Rob suggested we get a bottle of wine and although it was 11pm I said go on then, why not. We talked loads about the trip and generally chilled out after a busy few weeks. My tooth pain had disappeared and we went up to go to sleep around midnight

Thursday 20th September

We actually slept pretty well and woke near 6am and watched tv in bed then got up and ready

We always eat bfst after security but one day we mean to try the Premier Inn breakfast. We walked over to check in about 8am

As we were flying Premium we were excited to stand in the Premium line, and it was actually 3 lines it was busy. We waited and we joked that this is not how Premium people should be treated :P:P:P After 10 minutes a lady from Upper Class came over and said could she help us so we wandered over and checked in under the Upper class sign, Oh how the other half live!

We exchanged money at the moneycorp stand and then went through Security, all done by 830. Now for Breakfast!

We did think of trying somewhere new today, but you just can't beat the Red Lion Weatherspoons, its quick and we have the app so the food is on the table within 10 minutes
2 eggs benedict and 2 beers, yes before 9am but it's tradition

20180920_091056.jpg
It didn't feel overly busy in there like normal so we stayed for about an hour, we facetimed Rob's mum who was is currently in Australia and his sister

I mostly people watched here, hoping that the big rowdy groups weren't on our flight

We then wandered round the shops as you do, we bought a cheap pair of sunglasses each from JD Sports, 2 for £20. Told you its cheap, but we aren't fancy sunglasses people, I think its such a waste as most people like me just lose and drop them

We walked up to Jamie's Italian, the bar is quiet and chilled so we got a drink each.

At 10:40am we got our gate number and headed up to check in. My goodness the gates are never big enough to hold all the passengers, its always so squashed. Soon Premium was called and we enjoyed getting on sooner. I am always amazed by people's behaviour at the gates, so many people ignore the announcements, line up and think they are running things. SIT DOWN FOOLS!

We were in the bubble which did feel nice and different and peaceful, soon we had a glass of prosecco and were ready to go. We took off around 12 noon (11:35 scheduled)

My tooth was a little sensitive but I think I was so excited I stopped worrying. The flight attendant had made a mistake when doing the safety announcement, she had said that we in the bubble should use the stairs on a water landing but she meant use the top stairs, maybe she was new? After the seatbelt sign went off we had the drinks service and rob got 2 gins and tonic and I had to JD and coke, we order 2 as it saves asking for more. The flight attendant was lovely and joked with us that it saves her time and she just came back from Vegas and people on that flight "didn't stop drinking" we thought great, we are in for a fun flight LOL

We got the menu's and both decided on the Coq au vin as the other choice was Pasta (no thanks) and Marsala (I try & only eat Indian food when I'm in my own home :):)) and both got some red wine. I watched most of the movie downsizing but got bored or started to fall asleep. there was a further drinks service and we got one drink each

I think it was about 6 hrs in of a 9 hr flight now and this happened

Rob asked if I felt like another drink, I said yeah maybe lets ask for some amarillo or baileys as I am sure Virgin did one or the other. He asked the same flight attendant from earlier and when he asked she said "Have we not had enough?" Rob's face was priceless. She then said "Its just that US immigration can be tricky" Rob said "Fine, don't worry about it" and she scuttled back to the other end of the plane

Besides being embarrassed, we were annoyed as there is no way we were in any way drunk, or appeared drunk. I am always the one who will say to Rob, nah we have had enough but we were fine

An hour later they wandered along with the afternoon tea and when they offered tea and coffee, we couldn't resist saying yeah we better have some strong coffee and get ourselves sober LOL . It was so annoying as I talked Rob into booking Premium and while that flight attendant annoyed us, but nothing against Virgin I think she was fairly new and was trying to be assertive. Soon we were coming into land, the flight had gone fast but for the life of me I can't remember the other movie I watched.

My tooth had started to throb a little an hour before we landed but again not major, but as we stood in the customs queue it really hit a new beat, it was like african drums playing on my tooth. OUCH. The line was about 4 deep and I could only see 5 agents working so I was worried we would be here for hours. (why do they not have more agents working??) I took 2 Ibuprofen and Codeine in the queue but it didn't even touch the pain. We had landed about 4pm and were waiting for the Mears vechile at 530pm so not terrible, we arrived at Loews Royal Pacific near 6pm. Mears was pretty good $66 return for the both of us

We were really excited to be back and even my tooth pain was taking a back seat as we saw the amazing lobby again for the 1st time in 3 years. There was a queue of about 5 people but at least 6 people serving, its a busy front desk. We were called forward and Kristian was checking us in, he asked a few questions and we happily told him it was 3 years since we were here but we loved the place so much we couldn't wait to get back.

I was standing back admiring the lobby and Rob had quietly mentioned it was my 40th bday at the end of the trip and our anniversary in 2 days, Kristian said Oh congratulations. Rob asked "Have you seen the notes I have written?" Kristian was reading them for the 1st time. Then said that's ok we will look after you both. He then asked "Will you be in your room later? We said we weren't sure as we might hit the parks.

Now I have worked in hotels for 17 years so I know hotels from the other side as well, For 5 years I actually worked teaching what amazing customer service is, making an experience for a guest so the guest remembers the experience not just a hotel stay. I was amazed that no-one had read the notes in the booking, that is the easiest way of finding out how to make an amazing experience even more amazing. I assumed that he was asking if we would be in the room later as they were going to deliver an amenity. No this wasn't the case.

We then went to the room 2610 and didn't worry about the check in. We then got a text from the hotel. It started with "Maholo Mr & Mrs" now we are not precious but our notes showed we were a same sex couple, they had seen us both at check in and both names were on the booking so this was another fail.

Now my tooth was still hurting but we said lets go and check out Halloween Horror nights just to get a feel of it as were were so excited. We decided to walk so changed and popped our shorts on. Wow it was so warm, we loved it!

Soon we were in city walk and wandered along checking out what was new and headed into Universal Studios, we wandered along 1st scare zone and said lets go on Rip Ride Rocket. Bad Idea, while it was only 5 minutes tooth ache and rollercoasters do not mix, OMG that hurt I can still feel it now. Rob could tell I didn't enjoy that and said did I want to go back. I said no lets do at least one hose, I felt bad to ruin his 1st night. We decided on Scary Tales as it was close and we had heard really good things. We both loved it, but I really couldn't concentrate as I was in proper pain now. We got back to the hotel and I went over to the concierge desk to ask about a dentist. She gave me a slip with contact details and said to give them a buzz. Now 3 years ago the concierge would have offered to call for me and see if there was anything more they could do, as they could see I was in a lot of pain. But we went upstairs and I called and they said they would call from 730am, I was grateful as I had feared the worst.

20180920_193107.jpg

20180920_193143.jpg

We ordered some room service Rob got some buffalo wings and some fries for me, I ruled while eating the fries on the left side of my face. Amazingly I fell asleep around 10pm, Rob must have turned of the tv and lights as I don't remember. Unfortunately I work around 130am and was in a fair bit of pain, I topped up my pain killers and played on my phone. Rob was awake by 4am and we watched the TV and waiting for morning.

How rude of CC!!!! I would have been annoyed at that too......but you both handled it with grace!!! Cheek!! I used to think Virgin were the only carriers we would fly with, but over the last 11 years they are now on a par with everyone else...….they`re good, but not fabulous!

The bubble is lovely though...…..

But, your poor start with the tooth issue!! It`s definitely one of the worst pains there is......no getting away from it, and always at the worst times. And that first morning waking early...….that time change really hits first day!!!

Love your sunglasses tale...…..don't laugh, mine were $4 in a cheap gift store in Times Square 5 years ago......lol.....only pair I`ve never lost!!!

Will be watching for more updates...….:wave2:

Oh EDIT to yesterdays post, just before we left the hotel we wanted to go and have our favourite cocktail at Bula Bar, a witchdoctor. These became a huge favourite last time and we were looking forward to trying again.

We went and the lady serving was very pleasant but when we said we were back after 3 years almost to the day, she just replied "OK" . Now to some people maybe I am being harsh but when a guest tells you they are returning to your hotel, ie we had chosen to return over every other hotel, you should engage with us and create a memory. Nope, she then said "just the 2 witchdoctor's then" It was just so standard hotel sevice. last time the guy had been so welcoming on our 1st day and really made a difference.

Friday 21st September

So back to Friday morning and after a miserable night sleep, I was waiting by the phone ready at 7:30am. By 7:35 I couldn't wait any longer so I called and the friendly receptionist said she would call the dentist and call me back. Within 10 minutes they advised I had an
appointment between 8:30 and 9am. Great! So we ordered an Uber at 10 past 8 and it was down near Turkey Lake road so were there by 8:30

I was dreading the cost and having to see a medical professional in America but my experience was actually fantastic. I went in and filled out the paperwork for a new patient and then in 5 mins my name was called. I was shown to a room, semi private so no doors but a dentist chair. The nurse came in and asked me about my problem and then took the XRay. I didn't recall but I had had a root canal on this tooth before. You could clearly see the infection! I waited a further 10 mins and then the dentist came in and he could see I was in a fair amount of pain. My options were to take antibiotics but if I wasn't any better by Monday I should come back and he would help. he was actually really good, I always assume dentists think I don't care or look after my teeth but I really do. He explained that air pressure on planes can make tooth problems much worse and it's likely that this is what happened to me.

They have me the prescription and a discount card and even told us where the Walmart Supercenter was that we wanted to visit. By 9am I we were on our way in another Uber, so cheap I think bother were $6 - $8 each
We arrived at Walmart and I went to leave my prescription at the pharmacy, they said to come back in 30 mins. So we had a little shopping spree, I was a little gutted as I had been excited about doing a USA grocery haul but I definitely wasn't feeling it with the pain but I tried. We bought croissants, Ham and Cheese & cereal and milk for Breakfast. More sunscreen, some mixers for our duty free purchases from the plane, red velvet cookies, cupcakes, crisps - general bad but fun junk food

As a massive Friends fan I had to take a photo of this, "Americans butcher the french language" such a great episode!

20180921_095348.jpg

30 mins was almost up so as rob waited in the checkout I went to get my medicine. It was $28 even with a discount card, Wow! Though at this stage I would have paid $1000

The nurse had said make sure I have eaten when I take the 1st dose or it will "Rip your stomach apart" she really said that. So we went to McDonalds, Yes how tragic but I was desperate to get those antibiotics down and we were hungry now. so 2 bacon and egg mc muffins and hash browns and a water each

I then ordered an Uber again to go back to the hotel, Bless the driver was lovely but had a really thick accent and as I was in pain I let Rob do all the talking as she wanted to know all about our holiday LOL

We arrived back at RPR and I went straight up to the room to lie down and take my painkillers. From about 11am till 4pm I was basically in varying amounts of pain and taking my painkillers every few hours, drinking lots of water and generally feeling sorry for myself. Rob was so good, just being there as I know I wasn't in a great mood but he kept saying, its not like I planned it and these things happen.

The dentist had said I could double dose on the 1st day to get them in my system which does actually work, by about 6pm I had started to less pain. Not sure if some placebo affect had kicked in and I was telling myself the antibiotics had started to work.

We had a ham and cheese croissant each and then made our way to HHN, we agreed no rides but maybe a few houses and soak up some of the atmosphere

So we caught the boat over, loved seeing Toothsome's in the early evening

20180922_071141.jpg

We made our way to Seeds of Extinction, It felt like forever walking there, man it was hot but we were happy to be out of the air conditioned room. We were in in about 15mins max. We liked the house, the theming was really well done. I love apocalyptic stuff so I was always going to like this house

We saw the Trick R Treat entrance on the way out, we decided not to do that house till tomm as we couldn't be bothered walking all that way again, we then went to Dead Exposure, 10 min wait this was our favourite house, the 1st time we went through we got every scare in every room, it was fantastic. the tube scene where people are walking towards us, was done so well. We decided on Slaughterhouse cinema as our last house tonigt, and had heard it was one of the favourites. We agreed, really well done the concept houses were really proving to be great.

As we walked back via Diagon Alley towards the Mummy I suggested we go on it, Rob was surprised after last night but I felt like The Mummy wouldn't be as harsh as a rollercoaster. Fast pass was only 5 minutes, we walked on and got 2nd row. We hoped to get 1st row this trip for the photos. We love this ride, and we rode it a lot this trip. What we didn't like was the south American group of teenagers, all being OTT and behaving like children. What made it worse was the ride stopping at the end just after Brendan fraser says Welcome back, we sat there for 10 mins and the kids all so annoying, I'm sure I sound like an old grump but they were yelling between our car and the one in front (also stuck) there must have been a group of 20 of them, I was desperate to get off in the end.

After that I said how about Transformers, I know its one of Rob's favourites. We passed the Klowns from Outer space scarezone, its fun but not scary. We did start watching the movie but got bored and never saw the end. and we got front row and loved it. Another walk on with express.

We then walked via the Childs play scarezone, again its ok just not scary. Universal needs to re think their scarezones a bit

We caught the boat home I think. Sorry for the lack of photo's again, it gets a lot better the more I feel better!

Aww bless Matt...…..it sounded awful!!!

I had a wonderful experience with a dentist when I needed one several years back with offending crown......Concierge gave me the card with a number to call and the same as you, said they`d call in the morning.....and they did. We went to Celebration and expected a massive bill.....but he didn't rip us off and we were delighted with that as our insurance won`t cover crown replacements. Went back the following year as we were still registered......again, much cheaper than we thought.

Love the Nestle Toll House......love that episode!!!

I agree about them needing to up the scare level......it`s too tame...….and not great with the noisy teens on the ride!!!!

At least you managed to do something that day Matt, and Rob is such a gem......yes, toothache makes you miserable and not in the best of moods.....

Glad you picked up though......can`t wait to read more...…..

Oh shame about the lady in the bar!!!

Great news that you were able to take in some hhn after the antibiotics kicked in.

Glad you were able to get in to the dentist office quickly that next morning after you arrived.

really enjoying your TR!!! You have such a fun, engaging writing style - feel like I'm right there with ya, eager for the next chapter. :dogdance:

I agree that at least a "welcome back" or "thanks for staying with us again" is the least your server could have come up with. Honestly, I adore the Uni hotels, but I think they may be a wee bit spoiled in terms of their success- so many people return to them each time they visit the parks and just by nature of the captive location (onsite at UO) it must seem like almost every guest is there for a special occasion or celebration - a birthday, an anniversary, a honeymoon, a school graduation etc. So they probably don't make as big a fuss as other hotels. It's like that on cruise ships too - so many book to celebrate a special occasion. But it certainly doesn't take much effort to read the ressie notes, as you say, and wish someone a happy birthday, thank them for returning, etc. Maybe a signed card in the room - nothing that costs them anything, really. It must be extra frustrating for you, since this is actually your area of professional expertise!

I feel you on the teeth issues - I have no luck either - and know what you mean about dentist attitudes. I get treated as if I'm lazy and am not doing the proper care - but my parents had bad teeth and like many things, hereditary issues has a lot to do with it. I spend forever caring for my teeth - to no avail!

LOVED the friends reference - another big fan here - we watched that show when it aired originally and now every night on Netflix before we go to sleep.

Looking forward to reading more!:-)

Aww bless Matt...…..it sounded awful!!!

I had a wonderful experience with a dentist when I needed one several years back with offending crown......Concierge gave me the card with a number to call and the same as you, said they`d call in the morning.....and they did. We went to Celebration and expected a massive bill.....but he didn't rip us off and we were delighted with that as our insurance won`t cover crown replacements. Went back the following year as we were still registered......again, much cheaper than we thought.

Love the Nestle Toll House......love that episode!!!

I agree about them needing to up the scare level......it`s too tame...….and not great with the noisy teens on the ride!!!!

At least you managed to do something that day Matt, and Rob is such a gem......yes, toothache makes you miserable and not in the best of moods.....

Glad you picked up though......can`t wait to read more...…..

Oh shame about the lady in the bar!!!

Yes I remember your Crown experience, My local dentist I saw yesterday was furious that the US charge so much compared to the NHS.

Yes I m hoping Universal make the scare zones a bit scarier

Oh that reminds me....We have booked to see the new Halloween movie tomorrow night!

really enjoying your TR!!! You have such a fun, engaging writing style - feel like I'm right there with ya, eager for the next chapter. :dogdance:

I agree that at least a "welcome back" or "thanks for staying with us again" is the least your server could have come up with. Honestly, I adore the Uni hotels, but I think they may be a wee bit spoiled in terms of their success- so many people return to them each time they visit the parks and just by nature of the captive location (onsite at UO) it must seem like almost every guest is there for a special occasion or celebration - a birthday, an anniversary, a honeymoon, a school graduation etc. So they probably don't make as big a fuss as other hotels. It's like that on cruise ships too - so many book to celebrate a special occasion. But it certainly doesn't take much effort to read the ressie notes, as you say, and wish someone a happy birthday, thank them for returning, etc. Maybe a signed card in the room - nothing that costs them anything, really. It must be extra frustrating for you, since this is actually your area of professional expertise!

I feel you on the teeth issues - I have no luck either - and know what you mean about dentist attitudes. I get treated as if I'm lazy and am not doing the proper care - but my parents had bad teeth and like many things, hereditary issues has a lot to do with it. I spend forever caring for my teeth - to no avail!

LOVED the friends reference - another big fan here - we watched that show when it aired originally and now every night on Netflix before we go to sleep.

Looking forward to reading more!:-)

Thanks, its funny how its coming back to me as I write. The photo's are helping as I only made some notes for each day

yeah I'm not sure what has happened but you will see throughout my report the things that wound us up.

haha I love that everyone gets the Friends reference, I am an obsessive fan. I watch at least an episode a day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!