$$$$$

krmixon1117

Earning My Ears
I'm just curious if the expenses involved in getting into the program outweigh the money you get paid. Or is it more for the educational experience?

It is 100% about the experience. I know for a fact I spent every dollar I made but that wasn't because I was "struggling". I never turned down an invite and took advantage of ever opportunity. If you were interested in saving while you are there you can totally do it but I think you will get so much more out of it if you just commit to the adventure

It is 100% about the experience. I know for a fact I spent every dollar I made but that wasn't because I was "struggling". I never turned down an invite and took advantage of ever opportunity. If you were interested in saving while you are there you can totally do it but I think you will get so much more out of it if you just commit to the adventure
That's what I figured! Just trying to convince my parents that it'll be worth the money :oops:

I supported myself which was a nice change (my parents used to always support me), but I only saved about $500 by the end of the program. HOWEVER...you totally can save more, if you work a lot and take extra hours and don't eat out a lot. I worked a TON and so had some weeks where I saved money, but I also blew tons of money on character meals, a Universal AP, and signature dining.

Not sure what you are asking......You do pay a fee upon acceptance but you will earn plenty of money while work in, depending on your personal expenses. My first DD brought home over $1,000 at the end. She completely supported herself while there, although we continued to pay her cell phone bill for her and she did not take a car. She made $175-225 each week after rent/taxes came out. My second DD is there now and she is making about the same thing. She plays in the parks and eats lots of quick service food, but she is saving!

If I remember correctly from my program, a portion (if not all) of the fees go towards your rent. I think they just do it so you have something invested in it and don't decide not to show up. As others mentioned, you sure can save but I suggest you don't do it for the "money". Disney pays squat and you want to enjoy yourself. You'll have plenty of learning opportunities along the way. I wouldn't change a thing about how I did the program and I would encourage most to try it

The program is definitely for the experience, the money is just a bonus and you get a lot of perks (free park entry is just one example). But it is easy to budget and save just by doing little things than completely restricting yourself from having fun, like making sandwiches to take to shifts rather than buying something for lunch.

You make enough to get by and have a great time. You aren't getting rich but you won't be starving either. I wouldn't let money be a big concern for you one way or the other. Go for it!

If you need to make money for your next semester in school, you won't make a fortune unless you really save it by not eating out or doing lots of fun stuff. It's all about eating out and doing lots of fun stuff, though.

The only expense you pay the program is the fee at acceptance which is your first 2 weeks of rent (plus a small fee for the parties and programs they run). After that rent is with drawn from your check.

I am lucky that I didn't have a car payment or insurance or anything so on my program I just had to pay for my cell phone. Outside of that I bought food at the grocery store and tried not to buy too much at Disney (wasn't always successful haha) and be budget conscious. I used my main entrance as much as I could to have fun and became friendly with those in my area so that when I needed a ride somewhere I just paid gas money. I was able to do a lot of fun stuff on my program like Halloween Horror Nights, MNSSHP, and MVMCP as well as a few friends dinners across property and out. I didn't go out to bars and stuff though like others so I would budget what I needed for the fun night out and then save the rest. So it may have meant not eating at the cast cafeteria at all that pay check in order to go to HHN. I also saved before I got to the program and came into the program with about 300 in order to buy food and room stuff.

Of course, your ability to save will depend on your personal expenses, how much you spend, and how much you work. In my location, I rarely worked more than 32 hours a week, and for the last month or so I only worked around 26 hours a week. However, I didn't spend a ton of money on souvenirs, and my only splurge was on food. Even though my paychecks were only an average of $120 a week after rent was deducted, I still managed to leave the program with about $2500. All my roommates worked more than me but left totally broke, so the answer really depends on you.

I'll be honest - you don't really make much when factoring in housing and all. If you plan on saving for something big in the near future, the program will be more an exercise in frustration than anything else.

However, it is still possible to leave with more than you came with, especially if you cook more than eat out and limit your splurging. My last program, I actually would've gone home with quite a bit in savings if it weren't for my moving expenses on the way out (had to ship a bunch of things home, had to fly cause I lived too far away to drive, etc). Even then, still left with a better bank account than I went in with!

PS - if you're going on the Fall/Fall Advantage program you get a really awesome book of coupons around Christmastime :)

I'll be honest - you don't really make much when factoring in housing and all. If you plan on saving for something big in the near future, the program will be more an exercise in frustration than anything else.

However, it is still possible to leave with more than you came with, especially if you cook more than eat out and limit your splurging. My last program, I actually would've gone home with quite a bit in savings if it weren't for my moving expenses on the way out (had to ship a bunch of things home, had to fly cause I lived too far away to drive, etc). Even then, still left with a better bank account than I went in with!

PS - if you're going on the Fall/Fall Advantage program you get a really awesome book of coupons around Christmastime :)

And 40% off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter