2021 Point Reallocation

And if not borrowing, just pay for one time use points at $19 per. $57 per a night is still an incredible deal and probably better than having to buy a 25 point add-on
Good points. The thing that is going to get me though is when I try other more point hungry resorts at some point in the next few years. I was planning to add on at some point anyway so I have more flexibility with those other resorts and also to do 1 BR as the need arrives with a growing family. Really, I was going to need more points at some point no matter what and this small increase doesn't really change anything, but I'll still complain anyway just because it was a negative point chart change for me even if just a very small negative change 😄

That is true. However they own at AKV which is usually pretty easy to book at 7 months outside of a few specific times of the year.
Or booking value & club level rooms. Standard studios at Jambo can also be booked up prior to 7 months (or at least have holes in booking). I just wouldn't want to have to plan around using OTU points every year. Personally I would just borrow as needed and then one year take a shorter than normal trip.

As someone who primarily travels to Disney the first week of June, the new chart slightly benefit me. To be honest I’m surprised they didn’t raise October and early December even more as it seems to be the hardest to book.

While I think they did the right thing, selfishly I see that a different UY would have served us better. Buying more points to get to a 1-bedroom perhaps would not be the best move right now as it appears to have been dinged for OKW.

In what way would the UY make a difference? You can still travel anytime of the year although depending on the UY you might lose a little bit of the free security with a UY that starts just before you travel. However it doesn't mean you can't travel whenever you wish.

In what way would the UY make a difference? You can still travel anytime of the year although depending on the UY you might lose a little bit of the free security with a UY that starts just before you travel. However it doesn't mean you can't travel whenever you wish.

Yes, I understand we can travel anytime, but it's not ideal, especially for someone that generally has bad luck and often has to change travel plans. LOL! I'm willing to wing it once and a while, but not every year. We are also staggering our annual passes, so that locks in traveling 2 years pretty closely.

If my calculations are correct, it will cost 16 more points to book a 1-bedroom at OKW for 8 nights in the months of Oct + Nov (aside from thanksgiving). At $12 PP, that's $192 more a year.

Last edited:
Not liking the reallocation. We usually go in October 1 bdr for week used to be 181 now its 193 points >:(

Well, for one thing, those of us with a December UY get to use the 2019 point charts 1 more year. The new charts will kick in for us next December.

Just looked at summer and studios at BWV and RIV..since those might be a time I book. The SV studio at RIV went down from 160 a week to 146. The P/G room at BWV stayed the same at 132.

Found it interesting that they reduced that much at RiV, but now, instead of being 28 points more than BWV, it’s on 14..a 50% decrease in the difference.

Just looked at summer and studios at BWV and RIV..since those might be a time I book. The SV studio at RIV went down from 160 a week to 146. The P/G room at BWV stayed the same at 132.

Found it interesting that they reduced that much at RiV, but now, instead of being 28 points more than BWV, it’s on 14..a 50% decrease in the difference.

I find it interesting that once again their are delving into adjusting point charts at a resort that hasn't even opened yet. Caused quite a stir at BLT with people who were now a few points short for what they planned on and they hadn't even been there yet. Or on the other hand with that big of a swing there could be people who bought quite a few more points than they'll now need.

I'll look forward to seeing a chart comparing the changes for better/further eval.

I'm gonna hold my breath that they work on lowering the point value of the Bungalows. They are still stupid expensive, and you'll never convince me there is any demand for them.

Looks like (at least for Riviera), the points on the highest weeks lowered quite a bit and pushed those to the surrounding weeks. 1 BD preferred Christmas week is 50 points less but the first two weeks of December are matched with the third week (so now all prior to Christmas) and about 20 points higher. Oct/Nov also went up a 10-20 points for a week. Going to cost us a bit more now but we can drop a day every other year and have a week extra banked we can siphon points off of. Looks like times they lowered points are times we would avoid.

I wonder if we'd all be happy with the 2021 point charts if they hadn't tried that stunt of last year?

I'm ok with the changes, although my BRV 1-bedroom went up by 12 points in early December.

As part of the notorious 24 I see that the theory that we called them out on doing something that was actually ills looks like it was true - creating points out of thin air using the lockout premium was dirty dealing. This move of shifting seasons is 100% legit and while I am not happy that my 75 point BWV contract won't get me as many fall nights as it did, what they did seems fair.

Keep posting any changes anyone notices, we're likely going to record a dvc show on the topic later this week.

Perhaps you can toot your own horn on the next show -- and maybe include a brief shout-out to the other 23 dedicated posters that called and/or wrote in to DVC management? I know you all spent a lot of time, and it would be awesome for you all to have some public acknowledgement (even if it is by your anonymous usernames). :-)

I know I spent a lot of time crunching numbers and providing some statistical analysis of the lock-off premium -- but never took the time to actually call in (I was actually going to fly in and meet with someone but then they retracted the charts in the interim). So I know I am very happy you all took the time to go that extra step and contact management. While these numbers ultimately hurt my travel times, I am perfectly fine with the adjustments I've seen as they do appear to address the "seasonal" issues that have cropped up.

THANKS AGAIN NOTORIOUS 24!!!

Given Riv's proximity to Epcot and its inherent draw to the most popular Fall/Winter festivals, that has to hurt, and it's not even open yet. I wonder how it will affect sales moving forward. :(

I have not looked at the specifics yet, but I did notice that December, with the exception of Xmas week, is now all one season, and matches January levels,

I wonder if this could shift some of early December? Now one can stay all the way up to Dec 23rd for the same points.

Good point -- the third week of december will absorb some of the fall traffic. Will be curious to see how many people adjust their travel to be in early September.

I wonder if we'd all be happy with the 2021 point charts if they hadn't tried that stunt of last year?

I'm ok with the changes, although my BRV 1-bedroom went up by 12 points in early December.

Personally, yes, I would still be happy. I think DVC has had the obligation to adjust based on DVC demand and I think this is a good way to do that. I think it shows that they realized they needed to do something but also realized they had to do it in a complete legal and not muddy way.

Given Riv's proximity to Epcot and its inherent draw to the most popular Fall/Winter festivals, that has to hurt, and it's not even open yet. I wonder how it will affect sales moving forward. :(

Some of RIVera went down, I am in the process of analyzing more, but a week in my SV studio is down 14 points over the summer,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter