2021 Point Reallocation

I wonder if we'd all be happy with the 2021 point charts if they hadn't tried that stunt of last year?

I'm ok with the changes, although my BRV 1-bedroom went up by 12 points in early December.
probably not. hahaha

I'm guessing the only people that are positively impacted right now are those that go in the summer or early september?

Perhaps you can toot your own horn on the next show -- and maybe include a brief shout-out to the other 23 dedicated posters that called and/or wrote in to DVC management? I know you all spent a lot of time, and it would be awesome for you all to have some public acknowledgement (even if it is by your anonymous usernames). :-)

I know I spent a lot of time crunching numbers and providing some statistical analysis of the lock-off premium -- but never took the time to actually call in (I was actually going to fly in and meet with someone but then they retracted the charts in the interim). So I know I am very happy you all took the time to go that extra step and contact management. While these numbers ultimately hurt my travel times, I am perfectly fine with the adjustments I've seen as they do appear to address the "seasonal" issues that have cropped up.

THANKS AGAIN NOTORIOUS 24!!!
I too want to thank the Notorious 24 for their efforts. But I also want to thank the others, such as but not limited to @mustinjourney, who also spent a lot of time analyzing and explaining here on the DIS. It not only helped me understand the issues, but knowing that DVC monitors these boards and others makes me feel that the other analysts helped DVC see the errors and not attempt to do the same thing again.

Yeah, I am not too pleased as a BWV owner who goes every Oct for F&W. ALL rooms went up all across the board. So where did they go down to balance out? In reading here it seems only like 2 weeks went down. So how on earth are they balancing? Can someone who knows and understands this stuff, admittedly I do not, do a good review of BWV's charts to compare 2020 to 2021?

Good point -- the third week of december will absorb some of the fall traffic. Will be curious to see how many people adjust their travel to be in early September.

I would bet quite a few, at least for mid-September right before the points go up. With both F&W and MNSSHP starting in August now there's not much difference between September & October besides a higher chance of hurricanes earlier in September. The temperature difference is only 4 degrees on average so not a deal killer IMO-- you can get unlucky with a heatwave in either month.

Yeah, I am not too pleased as a BWV owner who goes every Oct for F&W. ALL rooms went up all across the board. So where did they go down to balance out? In reading here it seems only like 2 weeks went down. So how on earth are they balancing? Can someone who knows and understands this stuff, admittedly I do not, do a good review of BWV's charts to compare 2020 to 2021?
May through to June 10 had a decent reduction for BWV.

Also May-Mid June and 3rd week of Dec as well.

wow -- May to mid june dropped quite a bit. For BWV it went from 125 to 114 for regular and 104 to 90 for standard. 3rd week December stayed the same...with first two weeks of december getting bumped up to match it.

Well we like summer and Xmas. Any idea (sorry not been lazy but working and can’t look for lengthy periods ) roughly how much less a 1 bed is costing less in summer in 2021 compared to now at say SSR? What about week before and at Xmas, any changes?
So for the 1BR, at first glance, it looks like the impact for when we typically travel (early May, mid-Oct, and pre-Dec 25) is about 2 points per night in an SSR standard. Will have to print off and look deeper later.

So 6 weeks decreased. But the Oct-Nov season increase was more than 6 weeks though, right?

Plus the summer which is long. If you do the math the total points to book the entire year should be the same. @crvetter did this for 5 resorts and they all came out to be virtually the same as 2019/2020.

Not so. Our use year begins in December, and we use the 2019 point charts from December 1 until our use year ends. Same as everyone else.
If this were the case DVC would never be able to accurately capture the movements for Easter for a majority of the UY (those that occur after Easter) for example. The point chart you use is based on the calendar year as @Sandisw stated. So you UY runs 12/1/2020 to 11/30/2021. Any trip dates from 12/1/2020 to 12/31/2020 would use the 2020 Point Charts and any dates from 1/1/2021 to 11/30/2021 would use the 2021 Point Charts (can verify by looking at your cost over Easter 2020, you will see they line up with the 2020 charts not the 2019 charts as you suggest).

If this were the case DVC would never be able to accurately capture the movements for Easter for a majority of the UY (those that occur after Easter) for example. The point chart you use is based on the calendar year as @Sandisw stated. So you UY runs 12/1/2020 to 11/30/2021. Any trip dates from 12/1/2020 to 12/31/2020 would use the 2020 Point Charts and any dates from 1/1/2021 to 11/30/2021 would use the 2021 Point Charts (can verify by looking at your cost over Easter 2020, you will see they line up with the 2020 charts not the 2019 charts as you suggest).
Not saying you are wrong, but I may learn something here.

But if what you are saying is correct, then how can someone make a reservation at the 11 month booking window at anytime from February 2019 on, because they do not know how many points they would need until the 2020 points charts come out 11 months later?

As someone who primarily travels to Disney the first week of June, the new chart slightly benefit me. To be honest I’m surprised they didn’t raise October and early December even more as it seems to be the hardest to book.

I do not think they are necessarily done yet. It is possible that this is the first of a two-year change, such as was done in 2010 and 2011 when weekend points were shifted to weekday, and thus 2022 might bring more changes. In any given year, DVC cannot change any given night more than 20% up or down. Some of the changes I am seeing are exactly 20%, e.g., BWV standard studios for weekdays in Oct and Nov (other than the three thanksgiving days) went up 20%, meaning in this go-around, they could not be raised higher. Particularly noticeable is the joinder of the first two weeks of Dec with the days thereafter through Dec 23. That is something that will allow later movement of those dates to a higher point structure while likely making it easier to find a different time of year that can be lowered an equal amount.

But if what you are saying is correct, then how can someone make a reservation at the 11 month booking window at anytime from February 2019 on, because they do not know how many points they would need until the 2020 points charts come out 11 months later?
That's why the 2020 point charts were released in January 2019. They have to be out before the Jan 1 2020 booking window opens

2021 charts are being released now - in 2019 so that people can book in late Jan 2020 reservations that would start to include Janaury 2021. Because you can book up to 7 days it actually can start with bookings in January. 2020 charts were released in 2018. They are for the calendar year so the 2021 charts are for reservations from 1/1/21-12/31/21. 2020 points charts are for 1/1/20-12/31/20. It makes no difference what UY you have. The charts apply to the date of your stay. 2019 charts are done as of 12/31/19.

2021 charts are being released now - in 2019 so that people can book in late Jan 2020 reservations that would start to include Janaury 2021. Because you can book up to 7 days it actually can start with bookings in January. 2020 charts were released in 2018. They are for the calendar year so the 2021 charts are for reservations from 1/1/21-12/31/21. 2020 points charts are for 1/1/20-12/31/20. It makes no difference what UY you have. The charts apply to the date of your stay. 2019 charts are done as of 12/31/19.
I think I learned something new today.

You know the fact that they didn’t try the lock off trick they tried last year again shows (at least to me) that they agree it probably was illegal. If they had all this time to look into it and they thought they could get away with it they would have tried it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter