2021 Point Reallocation

So I just did it and here is what I calculated for studios and 1BR villas:

2020-
SV studio is 5105 and PV studio is 6498 and SV 1BR is 10,401 and PV 1BR is 12,978

2021-
SV studio is 4994 and PV studio is 6343 and SV 1BR is 10,132 and PV 1BR is 12,668

So it is about the same.

So 6 weeks decreased. But the increases are more than 6 weeks though. Seems like most of the calendar increased.

Looking at BWV, which I assume may be similar to some others, you have decreases for Sep 1- 19, April after Easter week through August 15, a total of about a 4 1/2 month period, with increases September 20 to Dec. 14, and all of Jan, about a four month period (Dec 15 to 23 has actually stayed the same while joining Dec 1-14).

Points have also increased for premier season but a major change has been made to premier season. Previously premier season for the Easter break ran for 14 nights with Easter in the middle. It is now going to be only 8 nights, the Sun before Easter thru Easter Sunday. Thus, those eights nights have risen a little but the six taken out of Easter season have lowered, and those have lowered by dropping into the season before premier season, and that decrease creates an interesting issue. The change for those 6 nights is more than a 20% decrease, but the assumption likely applied is that the 20% change rule does not apply to the situation because the actual dates for those 6 nights in 2021 are the same as six nights in the magic season in 2020. Its seems DVC may have just created a reason for a lot of members to consider Easter week as a time to go if they have to follow school schedules.

Last edited:
What's up with the fine print at the bottom? Is this alluding to even greater non-direct limitations?

So for Kidani here's the breakdown, if all Lock-off were booked as a studio and 1 BR (worst case for the 2020 debacle) here's the total points in the resort (KV only)
2019​
5,953,838​
2020 proposed​
6,126,965​
2021​
5,955,374​
So no big changes. within room types:
Points SStd
0.49%​
Point 1BRstd
-0.17%​
point 2BRStd
-0.26%​
point Ssav
0.71%​
point 1BRSav
-0.36%​
point 2BRSav
0.29%​
point GV std
-1.43%​
point GV Sav
-0.56​
and obviously type of year matters. So based on you room or season preference, some won and some lost. But overall, Disney did not change to lock-off premium.

for SSR
2019​
2020 Proposed​
2021​
Not bad compared to 2020, and within reason.
and again with room type
Points SStd
1.52%​
Point 1BRstd
0.35%​
point 2BRStd
0.22%​
point Spref
-0.36%​
point 1BRpref
0.12%​
point 2BRpref
0.20%​
point GV std
-0.49%​
point GV pref
-1.38%​
point THV
-0.50%​

So all and all I am happy. Personally, I do a lot of Jan, May, and Oct travel so I am not a "winner". But as an ownership, we did not lose.

So I just did it and here is what I calculated for studios and 1BR villas:

2020-
SV studio is 5105 and PV studio is 6498 and SV 1BR is 10,401 and PV 1BR is 12,978

2021-
SV studio is 4994 and PV studio is 6343 and SV 1BR is 10,132 and PV 1BR is 12,668

So it is about the same.

That seems to indicate about the same within any reasonable margin of possible error, including if you consider the fact that 2020 has an extra day for counting points, Feb 29, because it is a leap year.

Last edited:
We normally go around Easter, May and early September and mostly this is a positive change.

Even if September is during hurricane season and the risk of a hurricane impacting our vacation, I honestly dont care.

We have tried once to be impacted and that was by Irma. Our travel insurance paid for a business class ticket home, 3 extra days at VGF - hotel side and for all our food during the 3 days. I would have preferred not to be impacted as we were under "house arrest"in our room for 1 day - think it was around 20hours so but the trade off for 3 extra days at WDW wasn't bad.

I would love to see more availability during early September, but IMHO I dont think it will happen, maybe the availability will be less now that the point requirements are going down.

To determine if the total points have changed, you need to use a base year, which is a year with the maximum number of Friday & Saturday nights. All lock off units are counted as 2 bedrooms for this purpose.

To determine if the total points have changed, you need to use a base year, which is a year with the maximum number of Friday & Saturday nights. All lock off units are counted as 2 bedrooms for this purpose.

Didn't someone do that last year when they presented the 2020 charts?

And if not borrowing, just pay for one time use points at $19 per. $57 per a night is still an incredible deal and probably better than having to buy a 25 point add-on
Easily said but that room has to be available at 7 months to use the one time points purchase. During F &W, that is not a guarantee.

We normally go around Easter, May and early September and mostly this is a positive change.

Even if September is during hurricane season and the risk of a hurricane impacting our vacation, I honestly dont care.

We have tried once to be impacted and that was by Irma. Our travel insurance paid for a business class ticket home, 3 extra days at VGF - hotel side and for all our food during the 3 days. I would have preferred not to be impacted as we were under "house arrest"in our room for 1 day - think it was around 20hours so but the trade off for 3 extra days at WDW wasn't bad.

I would love to see more availability during early September, but IMHO I dont think it will happen, maybe the availability will be less now that the point requirements are going down.
Can I have the name of that insurance company? Awesome coverage!

The point charts seem to cut down the higher Easter period from two weeks to one week. I wonder if the gold pass blackout period will also be cut down to one week during that time. Does anyone know when they usually put out the blackout dates for the gold pass?

The point charts seem to cut down the higher Easter period from two weeks to one week. I wonder if the gold pass blackout period will also be cut down to one week during that time. Does anyone know when they usually put out the blackout dates for the gold pass?
About 12 months on a rotating basis. Since passes are actually a park thing, if the parks are saying that it's still a high week for them, I wouldn't expect that week to be unblocked.

About 12 months on a rotating basis. Since passes are actually a park thing, if the parks are saying that it's still a high week for them, I wouldn't expect that week to be unblocked.

Agree it is unlikely there will be any change to the Gold Pass restriction because Easter week is still a very high park demand time. Moreover, the DVC premier season at WDW in December is just Christmas week, which has not changed, and despite that the Gold Pass restriction has previously also applied to many days before Christmas week. Also, the Gold Pass Easter time restriction is itself already different from the DVC premier season. The Gold pass restriction has applied from the Sat a week before Easter through the Friday after Easter while the DVC premier season was the Sun, a week before Easter, through the Sat after Easter.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter