2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I complete online check-in, will it give me my room number? I'm not planning in doing this because I want to check in in person to ensure a daybed, but thought if they gave me a number perhaps I could check online to see the make up of the room. Home from work today due to extreme cold...so doing some Disney dreaming.

No you don't get your room number assigned until the day you arrive. That would be neat though! I don't know if the CM's know if you have a daybed even when you do get your room # at check in. Also, when you check in at the front desk, they might not have your room # until it is actually available.

Hi, I'm new here (first post, woohoo!) but not new to Disney trips. It will, however, be our first stay at Beach Club and we'll be going in mid-March. I know about the room renovations, starting from top to bottom, so is it correct that in order to get a newly renovated room I should request a higher floor versus a lower floor? Or should I skip online check-in and ask in person when we get there?

This is why I am so fond of pool noodles. In my never ending quest to find 1001 uses for pool noodles I have discovered that they are perfect for dealing with stragglers and other uncooperative types. I have my family trained to the point where when the whining begins I start bellowing "BRING ME THE POOL NOODLE!!!" Things get really quiet and the offender gets that far away look in their eyes signaling that they are having a pool noodle beat down flash back. Some days when I sense that the mood is going to turn sour I just take a long leisurely lap around the house packing a pool noodle. That's usually enough to recalibrate the mood or prevent the perpetrator from committing further felonies.

Part of the problem of having older children is that they are faster than you, but no matter how fast they are they have yet to be able to out run one of my pool noodles tossed as a javelin. Usually I aim for their hair, which, since I have boys, they spend minutes on. If it's a cold, dry day, with the right shot you can introduce static cling to their crew cuts. Then I can spend the rest of the day tossing socks at their heads trying to get them to stick. My record is six socks on one head when one frequent offender fell asleep on the sofa. When he finally woke up he looked like a Rastafarian or a Sock-a-farian as we christened him. A couple of quick pictures with a threat to post on social media and you'll find that your teens are behaving in no time! All that due to the miracle that I call pool noodles!

So Tara, take a page from my book! The next time you are having a hard time with your herd start talking about what a wonderful behavioral modification tool pool noodles are. Yeah sure, you'll get some funny looks from the kids, but as soon as they see you packing a pair they will know something is up and think twice about misbehaving.

~NM

Bwahahahaha! Unfortunately, my kids are a bit faster than I am and I worry they'd get to the pool noodles first.

Snuzzling with bionic baby, who is now supercharged. My 180 days opened up the morning of her surgery and I couldn't bring myself to care about eating at BOG. I did get a breakfast ADR this morning for Ohana so she can meet Stitch over Mickey waffles. She refuses to wear anything but a heavy fleece Stitch romper. I'm hoping the phase passes by August because it will likely no longer fit and she might well burst into flames in the heat.

As for water, I'd probably just pick it up at the gift shop rather than go with GG. We used GG for a trip we took last January and it worked out great, but we were staying in one of the villas at Kidani Village and bought a lot of other things. I was debating the refillable mugs. We haven't used them the past two trips, but if we spend a lot of time poolside, it might be worth it. Of course the price of mugs would cover a lot of water and a few sodas. On the other hand, I think Dee suggested using those mugs to disguise a Grey Goose slushie (or two). Might be worth the price of admission.

Hi, I'm new here (first post, woohoo!) but not new to Disney trips. It will, however, be our first stay at Beach Club and we'll be going in mid-March. I know about the room renovations, starting from top to bottom, so is it correct that in order to get a newly renovated room I should request a higher floor versus a lower floor? Or should I skip online check-in and ask in person when we get there?

Conventional wisdom says to skip online check in and wait until you get to the resort to talk with someone at the front desk. You can however call Disney and have them note on your reservation that you would like a renovated room. I'm pretty sure this is not an option on any of the online forms. Then when you get to the resort you can discuss it with the desk staff and see if this was able to happen.

It bears repeating that requests are not guaranteed. The staff at the resort does try to accommodate requests but with occupancy rates being very high these days it can be a challenge to match up requests with inventory.

It also bears repeating that if you find yourself dealing with an employee who you feel is not treating you in a courteous and professional manner then by all means ask to speak with a manager so that you can discuss your concerns. I want to make the distinction that the former statement is not so much concerned with you not getting your requests but rather is concerned more with an employee who is rude or condescending during the check in process. The overwhelming majority of the staff at the Beach and Yacht club resorts are caring competent professionals who are sincerely motivated to help you have the best stay possible. Still there can be a "bad Apple" in any basket so be sure to nip that behavior in the bud by addressing it immediately with a manager. :thumbsup2

~NM

Has anyone else noticed the discrepancy in room rates between Garden View rooms at BC and Garden View rooms at YC? This applies not only to standard rooms, but Club Level, as well. Standard View rates, however, appear to match between resorts. I have tried checking for several dates, with the same results.

Hey gang. Vacations over and we are at the airport getting ready to board. Good trip. Not Disney though. Crazy busy, very cool temps and quite a few ride breakdowns. Next stop: Boston and subzero temps. And more snow. Guess I shouldn't complain about the weather this past week
Glad you had a nice time!! I know the temps were less than to be desired. My sister and her family just got there yesterday, she's so happy it will be warmer tomorrow and the rest of the time she's there.
She had FP for parade tonight but she said it might be too cold...what!??

Hey gang. Vacations over and we are at the airport getting ready to board. Good trip. Not Disney though. Crazy busy, very cool temps and quite a few ride breakdowns. Next stop: Boston and subzero temps. And more snow. Guess I shouldn't complain about the weather this past week

Safe travels home. At least you managed to escape the cold for a few days.

I was thinking about the cold :cold: weather you were getting in Florida. That's too bad you hit record low temps.

Welcome to our thread!! I agree with Ninja, have your request noted on your reservation, and don't do online check in. If that's your most important request, then leave it as your only one.

How was Harry? I hear Florida dipped below freezing :scared1:. Welcome home!

Welcome 'home' Dee... I pulled an 85 degree swing from 90 inGuatemala Sunday to a new low of 4 this morning in SC.
Welcome home Mickey T! That's quite a temp switch yikes!! I'm going to have to listen to YC pod cast. Ni like Captains Grille! I listened to his Poly podcast, and some of what he says can be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

Bwahahahaha! Unfortunately, my kids are a bit faster than I am and I worry they'd get to the pool noodles first.

Snuzzling with bionic baby, who is now supercharged. My 180 days opened up the morning of her surgery and I couldn't bring myself to care about eating at BOG. I did get a breakfast ADR this morning for Ohana so she can meet Stitch over Mickey waffles. She refuses to wear anything but a heavy fleece Stitch romper. I'm hoping the phase passes by August because it will likely no longer fit and she might well burst into flames in the heat.

As for water, I'd probably just pick it up at the gift shop rather than go with GG. We used GG for a trip we took last January and it worked out great, but we were staying in one of the villas at Kidani Village and bought a lot of other things. I was debating the refillable mugs. We haven't used them the past two trips, but if we spend a lot of time poolside, it might be worth it. Of course the price of mugs would cover a lot of water and a few sodas. On the other hand, I think Dee suggested using those mugs to disguise a Grey Goose slushie (or two). Might be worth the price of admission.
I like the mugs, I tend to fill them up a lot, in the morning on the way out, and by pool. Love the ice tea and lemonade. They also have a club soda in the pool fountain machines that's good mixed with lemonade. I may also have a bottle if wine or 2 :drinking1in my room that I may put in my mug for afternoon pool break! And of course to smuggle out my Grand Marnier slush or maggie!! Ha.

I am new to this thread. In the past we stayed several years in a row at CSR and the past two spring breaks we enjoyed VWL. We needed to go cheaper this spring break and I was shocked to find a special with Yacht Club garden view in our budget. So we are at the Yacht Club April 3-11.

We are really looking forward to being in an EPCOT resort. We will miss the space, proximity to MK, and more from VWL but I am sure we will find new things to love.

A few questions for those of you who are Yacht Club regulars:

1. I know that the YC only has coffee and baked goods off the lobby in the AM. Does anyone know if the baked goods include chocolate croissants? We have a family tradition that we always have chocolate for breakfast at Disney.

2. Our family plan is rope drop to noon in the parks and then the rest of they day poolside. If we arrive at the pool between 12 and 1 the week following Easter, do you think we will have a hard time finding 2-3 chairs together?

3. We loath all resort transportation from DTD so we tend to go there just once or twice and we like to take a cab back to the resort. Any estimates on cab fare from DTD to YC?

Love these boards. THANKS in advance if you can help!

Any info as to whether the Stormalong Bay maintenance is on schedule?
It is supposed to be completed by March 3.
Thanks!
Deb

3. We loath all resort transportation from DTD so we tend to go there just once or twice and we like to take a cab back to the resort. Any estimates on cab fare from DTD to YC?
It cost about $13 for us to take a taxi from the BC to DTD and $10 for the taxi from DTD to the BC when we used it last March. It was totally worth it.

Dee - Welcome home! Was watching the weather in Florida as our temperature here in Maryland have been hovering in the single digits. Looks like it did get a bit chilly in Florida, but sure nothing like you are having at home. Stay warm

To go along with the new DIS post mentioned above about the Yacht and Beach Club the DIS Podcast team did a show on each resort.
Only negative is Captains Grille and they didn't seem to know about the refurb schedule

http://www.disunplugged.com/2015/02/18/dis-unplugged-podcast-021915-7-in-7-beach-club/

http://www.disunplugged.com/2015/02/20/dis-unplugged-podcast-022015-7-in-7-yacht-club/

Yes, they raved about the Beach Club and seemed to enjoy their stay at YC. They did mention BCV needs a renovation and were not thrilled with their room there. I enjoyed listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!