2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just like to double check. I've go to ME booked for when we arrive Tuesday morning. If our daughter picks us up from the airport, we can still have ME take our luggage to the hotel, correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

45 days until we check in at the Yacht Club, so excited!! I am sorry if I missed it in the thread but I remember hearing about the possibility of being able to skip the check in desk altogether when doing online check in. Is that being done at all at YC?

My apologies - I'm very late joining this thread - is there a refurb to the BC rooms? And if so - does anyone know when they're due to be done? Thx

My apologies - I'm very late joining this thread - is there a refurb to the BC rooms? And if so - does anyone know when they're due to be done? Thx

No. It hasn't started yet .. due to start sometime in October. See first page of this thread for updated information.

Just got my quote for a week at the BC or Poly from 8/16-8/23. Wow, but is that tempting. My oldest doesn't want to stay at the Poly, CL or not. and it's twice the cost of the BC. I have no idea whether I could talk my husband into going in August or not. But I'd love to take advantage of the deal. And the prospect of another dis meet? Pretty tempting.

26 days to go. Made my BOG fastpass for lunch on day two and arranged my cars to and from airport both at home and in Orlando.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just like to double check. I've go to ME booked for when we arrive Tuesday morning. If our daughter picks us up from the airport, we can still have ME take our luggage to the hotel, correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

Unfortunately, a baggage only transfer is not allowed upon arrival at MCO; you must ride the bus to your resort, if you want your bags collected and delivered to your room.

However, you are allowed to check-in for your return flight, get your boarding passes, and drop off your bags at the resort's airline check-in stand, without having to ride the ME back to the airport.

Hi guys!

Haven't been able to post much lately (thanks to travel fall ball!) but I'm weighing our options for our summer vacation. I booked at BB when we were there in August, but debating whether to switch to a "magical" room only in August. Of course there is some talk in our house of doing the Universal/Discovery Cove/Hilton Head trip instead this summer or even waiting until late September and doing the MNSSHP and F&W. I can switch our BB to those dates but I have a hard time asking for a week off from work when I'm off all summer!

Anyhow - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed our "Super" Dis Meet this year.

Teena - can't wait to hear all about the new CL lounge!

Teena. Is there anyone I can butter up to let me snap a few pics of the new lounge??? :) Everyone over on the CL FAQ sure would be appreciative. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi guys!

Haven't been able to post much lately (thanks to travel fall ball!) but I'm weighing our options for our summer vacation. I booked at BB when we were there in August, but debating whether to switch to a "magical" room only in August. Of course there is some talk in our house of doing the Universal/Discovery Cove/Hilton Head trip instead this summer or even waiting until late September and doing the MNSSHP and F&W. I can switch our BB to those dates but I have a hard time asking for a week off from work when I'm off all summer!

Anyhow - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed our "Super" Dis Meet this year.

Teena - can't wait to hear all about the new CL lounge!

We snapped it up at Poly (our first visit!) and BC...we're suckers for renovated rooms. ;) The GF was divine, but even if we take a "Magical" trip, we can stay for longer at BC and Poly.....that said...I'd rather do BC and GF, so we'll see if I can butter DP up and make a Grand Switch!
(Although, it'd be nice to stay at the Poly for once...I was just so blown away by GF!)

Lounge opens to guests tomorrow morning at 7 AM. It is absolutely beautiful and huge. It far exceeded my expectations ... I can't wait for everybody to see it.

Rehab has not started on the fifth floor. Last I heard was sometime in October.

Thanks Teena! Can't wait to see it next week. Really looking forward to sitting in a lounge chair by the pool. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.:beach:

Thanks Teena! Can't wait to see it next week. Really looking forward to sitting in a lounge chair by the pool. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.:beach:

Let me tell you ... I'm sooooo sick of all this rain. It's been the rainiest summer ever and yesterday and today it rained in Clermont almost non-stop. Bring your ponchos and remember .... lines are shorter if it is raining.

See you soon!

So, we got back yesterday from a 6 night/7 day stay at the BC, GV room.

Some observations...

~*~

The crowds were bigger this year than last year, in roughly the same time frame. This was especially evident to us at the MNSSHP (on a 'quiet' Tuesday, no less), and in each of the parks.

Instead of having waits of 20 minutes and less, most days we had waits of 30minutes or more for non-fast-pass rides, other than the usual few that rarely have long waits anyway.

Garden view can quite literally mean something green. ;) Despite making numerous requests (I know...they're just that...requests) for something, anything close to the lobby/transportation for the member of my party using an assistive device, we were placed at the very far end of the resort. Coming back from EPCOT the first time, we were easily able to identify the room as the very last corner room with the tree all but invading the balcony and creeping into the room. It felt like we had our own Swiss Family Robinson tree house, lol. You couldn't see anything but that tree.

The waits for the MK buses were generally awful for us, because we never lucked up and had our timing work out just right. And when they finally did come, we were almost always standing for the duration of the trip.

FP+ for us, without the additional option of the old, regular fastpasses, seems a bit too planned out and restrictive. Well, maybe restrictive is not the right word. We just felt like there was no go with the flow on this vacation. Every day we had an itinerary we needed to stick to in order to maximize our time in the parks, and we failed spectacularly at that. I think we rode more of the rides the night of MNSSHP without any FP+ available than we did any of our other park days combined. Now that was probably due to a combination of things, but still...I don't think that's a coincidence.

~*~

Parks...we found them all to be more crowded than previous Septembers, but still better than our summer visits.

Animal Kingdom, we really got to do more than in the rest of the parks. We got to ride EE multiple times, FP+ or not.

Magic Kingdom, this is where it felt more like a summer visit. The mornings were fine, and the evenings still weren't wall to wall, but those September wait times I bragged to my family about were nowhere to be found.

EPCOT got covered up by the F&W folks quickly, but that was to be expected.

Hollywood, OMIGOSH, all the Frozen fanatics (lol...of which the kidlet is officially a converted member). We did really enjoy the Singalong and the fireworks, but it was a haul from the last singalong to a decent viewpoint of said fireworks.

~*~

Resort...love, love, love the Beach Club.

That said, we did not love our first room. As I mentioned previously, it was at the literal far end of the resort, and that just wasn't a good thing for my DISMom who relies on a cane and gets easily worn out by long distances. This was the first instance where I felt a strong enough need to make a complaint, so I immediately called the front desk (don't ask why we didn't notice BEFORE we'd walked practically to EPCOT's entrance) and nicely explained the situation and our needs (again). We were moved to a new room within 10 minutes, and, miracle of miracles, all of our Magic Bands worked.

Now the new room did come with its own issues (the tub had this annoying tendency to back up during our showers), but the location was so much better for us, we dealt with it instead of complaining again. We were just two doors down from the elevator, and while it wasn't the quietest location, it was super helpful. We had a partial view of the roof below us and off to the left side from our little balcony, but we could see Ariel in front of the Villas (I think) as well, so it wasn't terrible.

It wasn't as good as last year's view, but I think we got lucky that time.

~*~

Dining...the DDP really is a lot of food, too much food, but when Free Dining's the Bounceback, we generally take advantage of it. ;)

O'hana is an old family fave, and we still enjoyed it, despite missing the chicken. We were bothered by our waiter prefacing every interaction with "I'm not trying to rush you, but...," but we were able to overlook that partially because of the yummy bread pudding (and we don't usually like this elsewhere, go figure).

Via Napoli was good. I can't say I loved my entree (I think it was the Candele), but it was still good, and we enjoyed our deserts here. Being able to walk up over 30 minutes before our reservation and be seated with a very minimal wait was an added bonus.

La Hacienda was a very pretty restaurant, and we had a nice table in front of the windows that would have had a nice view of Illuminations had we stayed long enough to watch. Overall, I think, this was our least favorite meal. The menu just seemed very limited, and while our entree (one of the shared ones) looked good, it was just so-so. At least the caramel apple pastry desert was good.

Trail's End was very good. There was nothing, food wise, that we didn't like here. What we didn't care for was the travel time it took to get here, and that was all on us. Word of advice that I'm sure you've already read numerous times around the DISboards: plan this meal for when you're already in the general vicinity. We did this on our AK day because we thought, hey...we don't have anything else planned for this evening, the park closes fairly early. Still should have known better. Traveling to MK proved to be a bit of a pain from the BC (and we had such good luck last year), and that's only the first leg of the journey to get to this tucked away gem. If you still want to go, allow extra time.

Beaches and Cream is so good. The first time we visited just for the ice cream. Ghiradelli may have more variety, but I'm of the opinion B&C offers more bang for your buck. Between the 3 of us, we struggled to finish 2 sundaes. One would have easily sufficed. Both were delicious. And don't even get me started on when we ate here a couple days later to use up our last TS credit (we decided to cancel Cape May at the last minute because we just couldn't do another buffet and we wanted simple fare after almost a week of trying to branch out). I feared we would have to be rolled out of the place. Definitely save some stomach room before going here.

Kona Cafe has always been another of our favorites, but we were disappointed this time. Usually we don't mind how loud it can get here, but with all the construction walls, it added a sense of claustrophobia to this claustrophobic. Don't even get me started on the food. It just wasn't the same. I know things change, but we weren't happy with the quality of our entrees. Even our desserts were kinda meh. Maybe we caught it on an off night?

There's not much to say about the counter services. Columbia Harbour House was good. Yak and Yeti wasn't bad. Wolfgang Puck Express Marketplace was the clear winner in this department, and I understand why it has so many fans. We ate both dinner and breakfast here, and there wasn't a thing we tried that we didn't enjoy. The rest weren't anything memorable.

Follow that tip you see about using those leftover snack credits at Goofy's Candy Factory in DTD. It's a good one.

~*~

Stormalong Bay...was so much fun, and thankfully, open later this year than it was last year. Although it got a little cool in the evening, we really enjoyed the thought of being able to swim until 11 pm if we wished. It was an added bonus that it opened at 9 am instead of 10 this year, too.

It was never overly crowded. However, there were definitely lots of towels saving empty chairs that nobody ever returned to while we watched.

I finally braved the slide this year at the kidlet's urging. ;) Not having ridden it before, I wasn't aware of just how long it really was. By the time the end finally came, I'd given up and let's just say I didn't close my mouth fast enough. This happened late at night, so hopefully no one else was witness to my embarrassment, lol.

~*~

Extras...MNSSHP was fun, though not as fun as last year. This was partially due to the monsoon that nearly swept us away through the first two hours of the event. I'm telling you...it deserved its own name. The other reason our enjoyment level was down was the crowd level despite a so-called quiet night (Tuesday) in addition to the buckets of rain we endured. Still, we were able to hit the high points, ride more rides this night than any other day combined (and that, with FP+), and enjoyed HalloWishes. Plus, we burned off all the calories from the bottomless bag of candy we collected shivering on the bus the way home. ;)

Behind the Seeds tour...interesting, but not as much to me as to the kidlet. Let me just say, your guide can make or break this tour. Ours was a little dry. Your tourmates can also influence your enjoyment and/or the length of your tour. This was advertised as approximately an hour; we went over that hour by 30+ minutes. It was a little more than I bargained for, but I'm glad we did it. I did learn some interesting tidbits I'd never known about some common and not so common plants, so it wasn't a complete wash. A little advice? Don't go into this on an empty stomach. Just in case you have a very talkative, inquisitive tourmate. Just saying.

DisneyQuest...now, I don't think I would ever pay extra for these tickets, but as free vouchers, they're nice. Especially on a rainy day (which we had, every day, but in spots). It was especially enjoyable for the kidlet, but I had fun too with some of the old throwbacks.

~*~

All in all, we had a good trip.

I'm not as big a fan of FP+ as I originally was, but it does have its positives (without it, I fear I never would have managed to ride TSMM, lol).

The Magic Bands make it a little too easy to charge stuff to your room, but they're super convenient, especially when working as they should be.

We still enjoy FD, even though it's truly way too much food, and we've booked another BB (although this time we're being more budget-friendly with a short stay at POR).

The Beach Club was fabulous yet again.

If I could, I'd make a return trip each and every time, despite the fact that I eventually want to be able to make the claim of staying at each and every resort. ;)

AskSiri

We are going to be at BC in December!! So excited about our Disney Christmas!!

We are a family of 4 and this is our third visit to WDW (POFQ IN 2009 & POR in 2012). We are going deluxe and are very excited about being walking distance to Epcot for evening strolls!

My Big question (for now) ... Room request? We are in a standard room & I know we should request a full balcony. In the past I have had great luck in requesting specific rooms and with that in mind I would like to add a few rooms to our request list and I would appreciate input. So please if you have experience in standard rooms I would love to know! We like to be central and I don't want to be too far from the bus stop or main building...

Hi guys! Haven't been able to post much lately (thanks to travel fall ball!) but I'm weighing our options for our summer vacation. I booked at BB when we were there in August, but debating whether to switch to a "magical" room only in August. Of course there is some talk in our house of doing the Universal/Discovery Cove/Hilton Head trip instead this summer or even waiting until late September and doing the MNSSHP and F&W. I can switch our BB to those dates but I have a hard time asking for a week off from work when I'm off all summer! Anyhow - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed our "Super" Dis Meet this year. Teena - can't wait to hear all about the new CL lounge!

Hi Robyn!!

Good to hear from you. The super Dis meet was certainly super!

Rebecca

I'm here at Beach Club now and having a wonderful time (in spite of the rain!). We didn't get either of our room requests (king, close to Epcot) but we have a huge room with full balcony and it's very convenient to the elevator, lobby and Marketplace. I'm glad for the quiet and lovely courtyard view although we don't spend much time at the resort.

I'm also surprised at the crowds. So many people at MK today for what Touring Plans gave a 3!

Pirates was closed and we weren't able to get a FP for 7DMT yet. I'm thinking I'm not a fan of FP plus. I love to plan but would prefer to keep it loose and spontaneous.

There was a couple hours of rain on and off. We, of course, left our ponchos behind. : ( But, a rainy day on Main Street is better than a sunny day anywhere, imo.

The CMs here at BC are wonderful, especially at Cape May. We've not gotten a chance to explore too much. Planning on doing that tomorrow but, so far, my first BC stay is a hit!

Looking forward to less rain tomorrow, HS, Air Supply and Chefs de France!

So Excited! we were originally booked for the ToT 10 miler weekend at WL and our plans have changed a little. DD and I are going to 1D concert Fri night and then we were going to drive over afterwards and meet up with DH and the boys... but My DS found out last Fri he is on homecoming court, so... we dropped Fri night and we were lucky enough to switch to a YC CL room that became available! This will be our first YC stay, we loooovvvveeee BC and are thrilled to have the chance to check out YC! Anyone else running Sat night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter