$20 a day to heat a pool!!!!

nattyk

mummy to 3 :)
We are off next Fri, and for the first time staying in a villa, mailed the owner to ask about pool heating and I have been quoted $20 a day - sounds alot to me - what do you think. Will we need it heated? There are 8 of us going and 4 our children under the age of 4... and want to be able to use the pool....

Thanks
Nathalie

$20 per day (about £100 per week) is the going rate for pool heating in Florida.

The fuel cost for heating a pool is very expensive and so this expense is passed on by the owner to you !

Pool heating only increases the water temperature by a few degrees and in my opinion is a waste of money at this time of year - we have just returned from Florida and the pool was never too cold for us - even in the early morning/late evening.

Kids generally do not notice the temperature of the water anyway - and the cool water will also be a welcome relief from the florida heat !!!

tyke

We're being charged $295 + 12% tax for the 32 nights, which equates to $10.32/day (£5.73/day @$1.80/£). Seems like we've got a good deal.
We've never had pool heat before, and dw often refuses to use the pool due to temperature! Not this time...
Ian

With the current surge in energy prices the cost is probably not unreasonable, however as Fl is currently bathing in record temps I doubt you'll need the heating. You can always leave it until you arrive and have it turned on if you decide you need it. As Tyke says it usually only raises the pool temp by a couple of degrees.

I had a real problem with pool heaters.We booked a Villa with Virgin at Christmas,they ask you when you get there if you want pool heating . You pay for the full duration up front,but if the weather drops below 42 f the heater won't work,in case it freezes the pump.Aparently it's in the small print .But you've lost your money,which we did at Christmas.
It is in my complaint list sent to Virgin
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

We paid for pool heat in Feb this year (£100 per week-we hired from english owners here in britain) and was glad we did, it made the pool very warm indeed and we could swim at night when it was very cool on some of the evenings. I dont think we could have used the pool very much if we hadnt had it heated.

Wheezie

I wouldn't bother with pool heating this time of the year.

Is your pool South Facing, ie gets the sun all day?

If so there is no way you will need it.

It isn't cheap pool heating , generally we have been quoted anything from £50 - £100 per week.

Although pool heating is not a necessity this time of year it does depend on your individual tastes.

A good tip is to ask the owner if there is a pool cover for the pool. This is a blue 'bubble wrap' type insulating cover which you put over the pool in the evening. It helps keep the warmth in the pool from escaping during the cooler nighttime hours and it really can make a difference if you do not have the pool heated.

If you are staying for a couple of weeks and change your mind then there is usually the option of having the pool heating turned on by the local management company, although it will take at least 24 hours to make a difference.