16 y.o. who can't do rides....what shows/attractions do you recommend?

asafko

Mouseketeer
My daughter can't do rough rides due to medical issues. She will do things like Haunted Mansion, Soarin', Buzz Lightyear, Toy Storie Mania, etc. I want to be able to do some shows and attractions with her (we'll also have my two other kids who LOVE rough rides so my husband will go off with them). What are your top shows at the various parks (we are doing all 4) as well as other tame attractions? Thanks!

Ep: Spaceship Earth, Livin with the Land, Grand Fiesta in Mexico. And all of the movies in World Showcase!
AK: Lion King show for sure! Nemo show is also cute. You can also walk around the trails - Gorilla Falls and Maharajah (if walking isn't an issue).
MK: There are a ton of rides here, but People Mover and Carousel of Progress are my top picks! The two parades are also fun, Move It Shake It and Festival of Fantasy.
HS: There are a few Star Wars shows, even walking around the Launch Bay and watching the quick movie could be interesting if you're into Star Wars. I love the Little Mermaid show and Beauty and the Beast show. I've also heard really great things about the Frozen Sing-a-long, even for those who aren't huge Frozen fans.

The Frozen sing-a-long at Hollywood Studios is really funny. I'm an adult with no kids and really enjoy it. Also at HS, the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular never gets old (for me).

MK - Monsters Inc, parade
Epcot - various entertainment around the countries, Impressions de France movie, Turtle Talk with Crush
AK - Lion King, Up bird show
DHS - Frozen sing along

And all the firework shows!

She also might like pick a pearl in Japan. You pick an oyster and they open it, all of them have pearls, but they're different colors and sizes. I actually got twins in mine. This is around $20. I bought a setting off Amazon instead of using one of theirs.

DeVine in AK is amazing.

If she's into details, you can hunt hidden Mickeys together.

I hear getting a picture done at Memento Mori by Haunted Mansion is really good.

There's a cool scavenger hunt in Adventureland, while you follow clues, Park elements 'come alive' (for example the cannons by pirates might blow smoke)

Also, the cast members are very, very kind. If it is a reasonable request and it's their power to do so, they will help. My DS needed a seat in the back rows for shows because he had spine fusion, and the CMs were like mother hens guiding us in. Their kindness always gave me a little tear in my eye.

All of these are great suggestions. My 13 yr old daughter and I spent a day at MK this week and rode nothing. We pin traded and she had character sign a pair of white canvas shoes we brought. It was a great way to explore the park and interact. Also we love Sourcers card game from the firehouse.

My daughter can't do rough rides due to medical issues. She will do things like Haunted Mansion, Soarin', Buzz Lightyear, Toy Storie Mania, etc. I want to be able to do some shows and attractions with her (we'll also have my two other kids who LOVE rough rides so my husband will go off with them). What are your top shows at the various parks (we are doing all 4) as well as other tame attractions? Thanks!
There are tons of things that she will be able to experience! I have a nearly 24 year old daughter who is not a fan of any exciting rides, and she still manages to have a great time in Disney.

Hollywood Studios might be the most limited for her. Toy Story, of course you already knew about. Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid show (which I actually enjoy quite a bit). Fantasmic if there are no issues with loud noises, same with Indiana Jones.

Animal Kingdom the safari is a little bumpy, don't know whether that would work or not, but the train ride out to the affection section should be great fun. Navi River Journey is smooth, and although a bit of a short ride, it is visually stunning. The bird show is fantastic, as is Festival of the Lion King, and I'll not kid you, this big burly man shed a tear during the Nemo show. It is truly touching.

Epcot, Spaceship Earth is a wonderful, and gentle ride, Journey Into Imagination, Living With the Land (love that ride), The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and the Gran Fiesta Tour should all be fine. Turtle Talk with Crush is entertaining, though mostly geared towards younger kids. There are a lot of shows / entertainment in Epcot as well, including the Jammitors in Future World (love their show), a Mariachi band in Mexico, acrobats in China, the Voices of Liberty in America, drummers in Japan, the flag twirling show in Italy, several circle vision films (A good way to sneak a little history in, and get out of the heat for a while), bands in Morocco, UK (love that one) and Canada, and street performers in France, Italy, and sometimes the UK as well. Plenty of things to see and do in Epcot

In MK, the Walt Disney World Railroad, Jungle Cruise, the Tiki Room, perhaps the pirates adventure game, Country Bear Jamboree, the Hall of Presidents, Peter Pan, Small World, the Wedway Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Philharmagic, Enchanted Tales with Belle if she is young enough to enjoy it, maybe climb the Swiss Family Treehouse (don't know if that would run into trouble with her medical issues, lots of stairs to go up, and down) plus various street entertainment including the Mainstreet Marching Band, the Dapper Dans, the Festival of Fantasy Parade, and Great Moments in History with the Muppets, if you are there at park open, the trolley show, riding the main street vehicles (a highlight of our trips), and the welcome show are all fun, and a quick treat from Starbucks (My kids tell me I have a problem with Iced Tea, and croissant sandwhiches . .. though, come to think of it, they also say I have a problem with fish and chips, and palm trees and . . . ) Dole Whips . . they are an attraction all their own!

Plus, there is shopping, and lots of other special treats (kids love the gnutella and fruit waffle in MK), and plenty of opportunities to have fun.

Last edited:
We have travelled with an 87 year old who can't do rides, a teen/young adult -
and me (ride wimp!!)
Still had fun times and love going back.
Great advice on previous posts
Have a great trip!

Remember that you have to stand for some of the movies at Epcot, if that is an issue. Off the top of my head I want to say you stand in China and Canada and sit in France.

EPCOT: I love the movies in China. The show in America is great too, plus the Voices of Liberty...wow!
MK: People Mover, Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree
HS: Frozen Sing-a-Long, the Indiana Jones Stunt Show (did they get rid of that with the construction?), the Ariel show too.

If standing/walking slowly while wearing a heavy backpack and helmet (but no impacts/shaking) is okay, the Star Wars VR experience in Disney Springs is a lot of fun.

If a good amount of walking would be okay, you might look into booking a tour? Those are really fun and interesting, and would take up a good chunk of time for you guys while the other are out riding rides.

If you’ve never done hoop dee do musical revue then this would be a great time for the whole family. Great entertainment and food.

I think only one other poster mentioned it, but in Epcot you need to do the American Adventure show. Don't skip the American Pavilion even if you are from the USA because that show teaches me something every visit and I cry every time. So beautiful!!

Behind the Seeds is a great tour at the Land pavilion, and pretty cheap for Disney prices :) But when you say 'rough' would a small drop in a boat be considered rough? Or are you talking roller coaster rough?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter