• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

14 year old with a broken arm

Desperate

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone I need some help ASAP.
My friend has just called from the hospital as doctors are operating on her 14 year old daughters broken arm (as result of school sport today).
The family: Mum, Dad & 3 girls aged 9, 11 & 14 years are due to leave Australia on Tuesday 5/4/05, arriving the next day at Disneyland for their trip of a life time.
The doctors hope to apply a split cast tonight, allowing the 14 year old to travel.
Mum has asked me to try to find out what restrictions will be placed on the daughter at Disneyland & California adventure Land (they have a 5 day pass & are very theme family orientated).
Any information would be greatly appreciated including the names of any rides the daughter would be prohibited from going on.
Has anyone else been in this stuation?
Any suggestions / advice?
Thanks

First of all, welcome to both DisBoards and disABILITIES

I don't know of any attractions at either DL or WDW where there would be any restriction for an arm in a cast. They may want to check with the doctor concrning any particular motion types she should not have.

A second unrelated idea is she should get the person who will be removing the cast to draw a line on it whee it will be cut off. Then bing some "Sharpie" type pens and have the Characters autograph the cast, warning them to not write across the line. After it is removed she will have a very interesting souvenier of the trip.

This exact thing happened to my grandson on our trip last year to WDW. If the doctor's are allowing her to travel on an airplane, she should be able to do anything that she feels comfortable doing. Of course, any water related activities are out. No Swimming definitely. She should be able to ride the rides. If she is a rollercoaster rider, she should ask the doctors about that one. My grandson did everything that he usually does at WDW, except for swimming. He did not go on Splash Mountain, But we could have gotten away with that if he had worn a ponch. She will probably be uncomfortable, but she will get a lot of special attention. My grandson had his cast signed by numerous characters. He is an avid pin trader so he did a lot of that. He was able to fish. I guess it depends also on which arm she broke. Is it her favored arm, or the one she normally use. My grandson is lefthanded, and he broke the right wrist. He had just a short cast, and it was not summertime, so he was not too uncomfortable. This year, the highlight of his vacation will that he can swim and ride the water related rides again. I guess the 14 year old girl with broken arm, will initially get a lot of attention. Kids are pretty smart, they learn how to roll with the punches. She will probably be a little scared at first to do things, but as the vacation goes on she will probably plunge (no pun intended) right into those activities she feels she can handle. Keep her busy, and she may even forget that her arm is in a cast. Sorry to hear about any child, being pained with a cast on vacation. My grandson wore one last year on our trip to WDW and he had a blast. It can be done with the right atitude.

My now 16yo broke her arm and was casted before one of our trips. We were concerned that the fracture wouldn't heal before we were to leave, so we had our options lined up. They do make a waterproof (literally *waterproof*) casting material now that can go swimming, which might be something to inquire about. Our doc told us that if she still had to be casted, he would change her to that before we left. We researched everything at WDW and didn't find anything she couldn't do. I would think it would primarily depend on her comfort level. I love the idea of having characters sign her cast, that would be a fun souvenir. Fortunately, she had healed enough that he felt comfortable putting her in a removable splint, so it worked out for us. I hope your friend's daughter is feeling better soon!

If you can, please let us know how the 14 year old girl, who broke her arm, enjoys her vacation to Disneyland. Thank you, in advance, if this is possible.

Neither WDW nor DisneyLand would absolutely forbid someone with a cast from going on rides. The rides that have warnings for people with neck and back injuries are generally the rougher rides that she think about before going on (and talk to the doctor). Some of the rougher rides will throw her around a bit. Since her arm in the cast will be basically dead weight, it might get thrown around a bit more than usaul.
If she has a sling, she should make sure she has it - the arm gets heavy by the ned of the day. Also, make sure she has some pain reliever with her. If she gets tired or is in pain, she can lie down in First Aid for a while.

Thanks so much for all the advice. It's great to get some first hand knowledge.
The doctor has cleared her to travel and the 14 year old was cheered up by your positive comments.
The family is really looking forward to their trip to Disneyland and I'll ask the Mum to post a reply with her comments upon their return to Australia.
Once again, thanks for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter