• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

14 Weeks Pregnant on Cruise???

HaleysMom2

DW and Disney Cruise for the first time in October
We just found out a few weeks ago that I am pregnant! We are so, very happy...have been trying for quite some time now. I will be 14 weeks along at the time of our cruise and I'm not sure what to expect. I have never been on a cruise before. Hopefully, all morning sickness will be gone since I will be starting my second trimester. I'm a little worried about getting nauseous from the rocking of the boat. I'm not typically one to get motion sickness, but everything is different when you are pregnant.

Also, as for excursions...we have planned to do a Swim with the Dolphins, a Sting Ray encounter, Snorkling, and a Banana boat ride, and Bike ride. As long as the Doc says it's still okay for me do all of those things, I still plan to. But, if anyone has experience with this, please let me know if you would advise against any of it.

Anything else I need to know regading being pregnant on a cruise? Thanks!

I have read on another thread that pregnant women are prohibited from taking part in dolphin encounters and especially dolphin swims. I guess the dolphins can sense it and they don't behave like they should. You might want to check that out.

First off, congrats on your good news!

Now, I didn't experience any morning sickness during my pg, so I can't comment. Most women are done with that by around week 14, although some still suffer from it. There really isn't any way to plan ahead for that one.

You will not be able to swim with the dolphins. It is not allowed. Sorry!

Your ob will fill you in on what you can & can't do & what you can't eat (brie, feta, blue cheese, sushi, etc). Just make sure to stay within the guidelines & you should do fine!

Happy cruising & here's to a healthy pregnancy! :cool1:

CONGRATS

I would encourage you to pick up sea bands - I used them through my second pregnancy (twins too) and I thought they were great - very safe for pregnancy and couldn't hurt to have them (they sell them on the ship but for a rather hefty price) - maybe you wouldn't need them!
Barb

Congrats!!!!!

The only little piece of advice I have is to let DCL know you're pregnant before you cruise ..... you see, if you get quite nauseous (and I sure hope you don't!) you don't want any of the staff to think you've got something contagious and quarantine you!

Congrats!!!

As many have said, you won't be able to do the Dolphin excursion while pregnant... none of the captive-dolphin encounters anywhere allow that for liability reasons.

As far as the morning sickness goes, that's up in the air. Definitely call your OB and let him/her know your plans, as there are anti-emetics (anti-nausea) drugs that are sometimes prescribed for severe morning sickness... so if you end up in that category, you will want to know that before you go, as it's unlikely they'd be carried on board the ship.

I had such extreme morning sickness that it's a different category (google hyperemesis gravidarum if you're curious) and it lasted the whole pregnancy up thru delivery - only going away after DD's birth. There's no way I could've done a cruise!!

But that said - make SURE that it's noted on your DCL plans - b/c a little heave-ho due to combined morning & motion sickness might be expected, but you don't want to get quarantined to your cabin b/c they think you're sick! :)

Hope it turns out to be a great trip and that you are M.S. free!!!

Congrats again!!!!!
:goodvibes :goodvibes

I cruised at 14 weeks and it was great! I was past any unpleasant nauseous feelings (I was lucky not to have too much of that even during Trimester #1 for either of my kids) and just starting to show.

I agree on not doing the Dolphin Enounter - whether allowed or not. While very "gentle", these are 400+ lb creatures and their kisses are more like "bumps" - and they cannot be blamed for hitting you a bit too hard in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, the Stingray Encounter, at least at CC would be great! You can wade in the water for the feeding and greeting part, and swimming/snorkeling should pose no problem, assuming a normal pregnancy.

I think this is a perfect time during pregnancy to cruise. Many people are past the morning sickness, yet not so large as to start being uncomfortable.

Enjoy!

Congrats on your future DISer!

I cruised at 12 weeks pregnant (and spent most of my pregnancy nauseous)and was concerned about spending a week cruising, though I've never had motion sickness. All I can share is that through the power of pixie dust:wizard: , I felt fabulous that week! It was the best week of my pregnancy. Perhaps because of the constant eating? :rolleyes1 Maybe because I was too busy having fun? :banana: Or, maybe just good ole Magic!:thumbsup2

Good Luck and enjoy.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Looks like I will cancelling the Dolphin Swim for myself. That is the one thing that DD is looking forward to the most, so I guess she and DH will go ahead without me :-( Should I be an observer, or is it even worth the money?

May be a stupid question, but who at Disney do I tell that I am pregnant? Do I call a number listed on the website? I certainly do NOT want to be stuck in our cabin the entire time due to them thinking I have a contagious illness. That would be horrible!

Thanks again!

Congrats on the baby!!

I was 18 weeks PG on our cruise (not Disney) to Mexico. I was past the MS stage, but I was still tired. I went to bed at 9 every night, and could not keep my eyes open past then. I still went swimming and snorkeling and all that. I might skip the Banana Boat if I were you....as I have seen them be very rough and bouncy. Oh, and no spas (but you probably already know that!)

The food part was awesome, because there was always tons of food whenever I wanted to eat, which was often! A little tip: always take the stairs, not the elevators. It kept me feeling good and tired climbing all the stairs all the time, and then I could eat even more! I actually lost weight on our cruise, even though I didn't mean to :(

My cruise line wanted a doctor's note saying he gave me permission to travel and he had to document how far along I was. No one ever checked it (as I didn't even really look pregnant), but I had it just in case.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter