13 year old flying solo yes or no?

I just looked up Southwest's rules, and it seems that Southwest does not require an unaccompanied-minor fee for age 13, but it's only $50. It sounds like your daughter is comfortable with the idea of flying, and that's probably the most important part, based on my experience with my daughter. A delay from the airport of origin is not a problem because the family member or friend who accompanies her to the airport should be able to stay at the gate with her if there is a delay. My daughter began flying unaccompanied at age 10 after her father and I divorced. I always gave her the option of having me drive her instead, but she chose to fly, including a few months after 9/11, when she was 14. She did prefer that we drive the 3 hours to an airport where she could have a nonstop flight to her destination, rather than having to make a connection. If you and your daughter choose not to pay the unaccompanied-minor fee, discuss what she should do in case of a problem. And definitely confirm all procedures with Southwest and with the departure airport, because advice you receive here from well-meaning people, including me, might not be accurate for your particular situation.

My son flew solo from Long Beach to Portland when he was 9 to visit his Uncle. I took him to the gate, his Uncle met him at the gate on the other end. The flight attendants shepherded him in the plane. It went great. That was Jet Blue, I'd have no trouble with them or Southwest or any other airline that would be attentive to him. Maybe not Spirit or Allegiant, probably not with a flight with a connection (though my son would be fine but we've flown a lot with our kids).

If you do this, develop a plan for what she will do of the flight is delayed, cancelled, or rerouted to another airport. There are some people behaving badly these days with the mask requirements and it can cause issues with flights. Also have a plan for what she should do if she is near someone who is raising a ruckus.

This is right in the sweet spot where I think the correct answer really depends on the child. I have boys that are 14 and 10. The current 14 year old would have been fine traveling by himself when he was 10, and the current 10 year old probably will NOT be fine traveling by himself when he is 14.

Problem resolved (I think) She placed 1st on bars and 3rd on beam, so she is happy with her scores and is planning to go with the rest of the family.....but now we just found out her cousin will be completing in the same meet that weekend, so I don't know if we are back to flying solo, but my sister with the other gymnast was the one who would have been accompanying her to the airport. My daughter is very independent. I send her to the grocery store/Target alone and she likes the independence.

My daughter flew home alone from MCO on Southwest when she was 14 for a dance comp. I got a pass to walk her to the gate and waited with her to board the plane. Her dad works at our home airport and met her at the gate on the other side, but he probably could have gotten the same pass I got. I was nervous but she is a calm flyer and really wanted to go. I was nervous for the 2.5 hours she was in the air, but she is a smart girl with a good head on her shoulders.

Seems your decision has been made for you, but I think if your daughter is comfortable with it and you are, it is definitely an option for your family. My kids fly regularly with us and have been since they were born. We haven't had a situation where we needed either of them to fly alone, but I think both of them would be fine if it was a decision we needed to make. It definitely depends on the child. My nephew also is a seasoned traveler and I cannot imagine a situation where he should travel on his own, he's a hopeless daydreamer:)

It all comes down to the kid. I was 8 the first time I flew alone, into ORD. My 8 year old there is no way he or we would consider letting him go now. My 5 year old would find it exciting and jump at the chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter