13 year old flying solo yes or no?

jccarney

Earning My Ears
We have already scheduled our February trip and it turns out my 13 year old daughter has a gymnastics meet the day after we are flying out. We fly out on Friday meet is on Saturday. How comfortable would you be allowing a 13 yo to fly solo on a direct flight. I am thinking about letting her fly down after her meet. She has probably flown into MCO about 10 times. Of course I would be there to meet her. My mom (who is traveling with us) thinks I’m crazy. But my dd really wants to go to her meet. She would be flying SW because there is no unaccompanied minor fee for 13 yo and I can get a ticket for under $100.

What sort of ID does she have to get through TSA security? Are children of her age allowed?

I don't know the answer to this, but is there anyway another adult can get her to gate and meet her at the gate?

If I couldn't get her to the gate myself, I wouldn't let her. I'd be terrified if my child called for any kind of help and I couldn't get past security.

People can panic for simple things like if they get turned around and feel lost. Or what if the plane was delayed for hours.

I would say no. Freshman in high school would be my absolute minimum age..Be very careful, there are many creeps around that unfortunately target minors.😱

After the experience my gc (ages10&11) a year ago Pre-Covid, had on American Airlines I would say No never again allow my grandchildren to fly alone.
Read the guidelines posted on the Southwest site
Have an adult conversation with this child if she will be traveling as adult so she understands the responsibility
Parents also need to make a decision I think your choice should be
How important is this meet considering the completion /advancement/ is diminished with Covid guidelines wearing mask, etc...
and One adult should also change their plans to travel with young adult for so many safety reasons such as flight /weather changes at last minute... changed to stop-over in strange city with possible flight change for one example! ...
They are constantly monitoring for Child Trafficking with airport (and Disney knocking on your resort door unannounced).
This is a very serious problem and. Child w/ no ID is very unlikely to breeze thru security so read the SWA guidelines!

Last edited:
Yes I would definitely have someone take her to the gate. There is TSA/ airport documentation that will allow an adult to accompany her to the gate. I am Concerned about child trafficking. I’m also waiting to here back from the coach as to where this meet is and how important it is. The meet could be a few hours drive from home which really changes the situation.

Who are the "we" that are flying out the Friday before? If there are 2 adults in that "we", one should stay behind and go to the meet with the daughter on Saturday, then fly out together. If there is only one adult in the "we" that is flying out the Friday before, change all the tickets to fly out on Saturday and pay the extra fee if there is one.

No way would I let a 13 year old fly alone on a plane if there wasn't an adult to walk her to the gate and see her off and another adult on the other end to be there to pick her up.

My daughter was flying across country (with connections) at that age. If she feels comfortable, let her. Try to send her only with a carry on. Make sure she has a cell phone and call (or texts) at different points- at the airport, through security, at the gate, on the plane, landed, etc. give her a safety check word or have her send proof of live snaps or live photos as she can (just another layer of protection). If she is independent she is fine. Make sure she has a good adult at her home departure location willing to step in if something happens (flight cancelled, etc).

My dad was an airline employee for all of my life. Employees flew standby on one passes where you used to WRITE in you destination and it had carbon sheets (early 90s) I used to fly standby alone when I was 8, very pre cell phones being given to children (I did have a calling card though). My kids have flown standby alone to visit him several times. If your child is comfortable both navigating an airport AND speaking to an adult they don't know if they need help (gate agent) let her.

We have already scheduled our February trip and it turns out my 13 year old daughter has a gymnastics meet the day after we are flying out. We fly out on Friday meet is on Saturday. How comfortable would you be allowing a 13 yo to fly solo on a direct flight. I am thinking about letting her fly down after her meet. She has probably flown into MCO about 10 times. Of course I would be there to meet her. My mom (who is traveling with us) thinks I’m crazy. But my dd really wants to go to her meet. She would be flying SW because there is no unaccompanied minor fee for 13 yo and I can get a ticket for under $100.
How does she feel about it? That's the main issue, aside from your personal comfort with her doing it based on your knowledge of her maturity level. I remember flying alone to and from camp when I was around 12, and it was no problem at all. That was more than 30 years ago and I was used to doing things fairly independently: grew up biking all over the large neighborhood all by myself, did door to door sales for extracurriculars alone, etc. A lot of kids (including mine) lead more sheltered lives now, though. I think it's fine to do on principle, but what the actual individual child is like is the most important thing.

I have a 13 year old and I would never put that stress on her.
That's really individual to the child, whether they would find it stressful, or an adventure, or nothing remarkable either way. Aside from having flown alone younger than age 13 myself and now having a teenager of my own, I'm a teacher of 10 - 11 year olds, and know that some of them currently would have no problem at all flying alone, while others would find it stressful and/or lack the maturity to handle it. It's very individual to the child's personality.

Last edited:
I would have been able to handle flying by myself at that age, especially a direct flight. I wouldn't be worried about her. I would be worried about Human Trafficking and there is absolutely no way I would take that chance. Unfortunately, it has to be considered and no airport employee is going to care as much about your kid as you do.

It depends on the child and how comfortable she is flying by herself. My kids are very much used to travel and navigating the airports. If I have a trusted adult with them at the gate, see them on the plane, and I’m on the receiving end waiting at the gate, then they have only been on the plane by themselves, not in the airport alone at any time. They’re just sitting on the plane watching movies anyway with minimal interactions with others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter