Sep. 7, 2015 on the Dream

We may have to consider that. It sounds like a great idea. :mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar
I love the idea of getting together in the beginning. Especially so kids can meet. My kids made great friends at the end of the cruise on the rental car return bus. If only they had met four days earlier!

That being said, we are driving so I am happy to bring ice cream toppings for everyone. Just let me know if it's a go.

I love the idea of getting together in the beginning. Especially so kids can meet. My kids made great friends at the end of the cruise on the rental car return bus. If only they had met four days earlier!

That being said, we are driving so I am happy to bring ice cream toppings for everyone. Just let me know if it's a go.

I'm good with the ice cream idea at the beginning of the cruise. I really want the kids to meet the other kids in our group too. I read on some other place (don't remember where), that a good time for the meets is like 3pm before muster drill. It was stated that doing it after Sail Away Party ran into dinner for people with main seating. I think they said muster drill was around 4. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I don't really care what time we plan it for, I just wanted to point this out so we could keep it in mind.

I'm good with the ice cream idea at the beginning of the cruise. I really want the kids to meet the other kids in our group too. I read on some other place (don't remember where), that a good time for the meets is like 3pm before muster drill. It was stated that doing it after Sail Away Party ran into dinner for people with main seating. I think they said muster drill was around 4. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I don't really care what time we plan it for, I just wanted to point this out so we could keep it in mind.
Sounds like fun. I think that getting together before the sail away party and muster drill is a good idea. Everything I've read said that the muster drill is at 4.

Yes, if you have the Ice Cream Social it would be prior to the muster drill :) That was how we did it in October so everyone had enough time and no one misses the muster drill or misses the sail away party :) And normally your cabins are ready around 1:00pm :)

Not sure if this is the place but...

My family of 4 (plus other party of 5) going on the Disney Dream 4 nighter in early September. First time on Disney cruise (and any cruise altogether). A few questions:

1) Any hurricane season cruising advice...should we really worry that much about weather?
2) Wife tends to get carsick in rides over 2+ hours...any solutions that have worked for you on the cruise?
3) Any 'secrets' as far as getting a great experience?

Also, we're definitely considering doing FE...here's our party and other info:

Laxton Family
Mike & Christie (Celebrating my [Mike] birthday [Sep. 4])
Anthony (7)
Lorelei (Turns 3 on Sep. 11, Friday of Cruise) - Celebrating her 3rd birthday!
SR # 8027

What do us first timers need to do from here?

My family of 4 (plus other party of 5) going on the Disney Dream 4 nighter in early September. First time on Disney cruise (and any cruise altogether). A few questions:

1) Any hurricane season cruising advice...should we really worry that much about weather?
2) Wife tends to get carsick in rides over 2+ hours...any solutions that have worked for you on the cruise?

Laxton Family
Anthony (7)
SR # 8027

We have sailed several times in the month of September and the cruises were awesome and had beautiful weather. Keep in mind if there is ever any risk of a storm while at sea, the ships will go in the opposite direction and opposite of the storm. Many people that I saw on past cruises used the patch behind the ear. I believe that tends to help. Secret is to simply have fun and enjoy your vacation.

I'm with you-I love food as well :)

Now I've got to put this out there because I'm curious... is anyone planning to dine at Palo or Remy? We were considering it but to be totally truthful I'm a little put off by this recent price increase so that seems to have made the decision for us. Yes, it is only $5 (for Palo that is a 20% increase!) but it is the principle of the thing. Just curious if anyone feels the same or if I should to let it go and book a brunch anyway...

We are undecided. We are vegetarian and I'm gluten free so I have to do a little more research to determine if it would be worth it for us. I am also a little put off by the price increase, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I am just afraid this cruise is going to fly by and we don't want to try to do too much and feel rushed.

Our next cruise is definitely going to be a 7 day on the Fantasy. We'll have more time to try things we didn't get to this time around.

Laxton Family
Anthony (7)
SR # 8027

WELCOME!!!! Yay for another 3 year old :)

Laxton Family
Anthony (7)
SR # 8027

:welcome: Welcome to our board! You are amongst a good mix of cruise newbies and veterans alike, so feel free to ask any questions you have. Everyone on here is very helpful.:disrocks:

I am a newbie myself, so I have no info about the hurricane season thing. I can speak to the motion sickness thing, though. My daughter and I get it pretty bad an car trips so we will be getting Scopalamine patches (sp?) for sure. It was also my reasoning for picking an inside, midship cabin because I read those are the most stable. I have heard that the Dream is pretty huge and we are in relatively calm waters so most people don't have many problems. We are patching just to be on the safe side.

Whenever you decide if you are going to plunge into the FE, just let me know and I will get you added. All the info is on the 1st post on the 1st page. :jumping1:

Laxton Family
Anthony (7)
SR # 8027

:welcome:Looking forward to cruising with you! This is our first cruise as well and I also will have a three year old on board, Alexys (Alex for short)! Plus two other girls, Anna (6) and Ady(5). I don't have any cruising experience, but quite a bit of travel experience.

The only thing we did was make sure that we purchased travel insurance to cover the expenses if we are unable to cruise. The chances of a hurricane actually disrupting our cruise seem small and most have talked about September weather being very nice. September also seems to avoid a lot of the rough seas and winds that can happen during the winter months, so it should be less likely that we won't be able to dock at Castaway. So with our trip insurance, I'm choosing not to fret about the "what ifs"!

I do not get motion sick very often, but I am still going to bring some medication in case the ship effects me differently. I've read others advise that say it is best to take the medication before sailing. They say that it is more difficult to overcome motion sickness after it has started rather than preventing it in the first place. Also, the things that make your wife carsick may not affect her on the ship. I am also getting sea bands for the girls to wear. They don't have issues during car rides either, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It sounds like Guest Services has motion sickness medication that you can get if you end up desperate. :crazy2:

We've always enjoyed our vacations better when we don't over plan the whole trip and go with the flow. We know that we are not going to be able to make it to everything, so we pick a few important events that we definitely want to attend and then keep our schedule pretty light and flexible. For us, we want to go to the Princess meet and greet, Anna and Elsa, and the shows. Then again, there are others that enjoy their vacations with every second planned out. It's up to you! You can google Disney Dream 4 Night Personal Navigators and get a pretty good idea about what our cruise will look like schedule wise. If our cruise is a "Halloween on the High Seas", I've been looking at this navigator from last year:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...lloween-cruise-itinerary-september-7-10-2014/

If you click on the "Personal Navigator-Day _" links, you can look at the actual Navigator and it shows all the events of that day. Assuming that they don't change much from last year, it gives you an idea of what will happen.

Relax and enjoy your planning! Also, we look forward to getting to know you and your family! If you do decide to participate in FE, you can start planning what you want to gift people. The lists won't be set until late June, after everyone's paid in full date.

Again, welcome to the group!

Not cruise related but got my 2nd Disney tattoo done today!
Figment%20Tat%201.jpg

Just read a post elsewhere about Sea Lice. I didn't even know this was a thing! I guess it's worse when the water is warmer. September is usually the time with the warmest water :( Oh well, I guess it's good to be prepared.

Sea Lice
Sea Lice is also known as Sea Bather's Eruption or Pica-Pica.

Sea lice generally occur on the lower Atlantic coast of Florida from March through August, with the highest incidence in May and June. I have not heard of them being a problem on the Gulf coast at all. Sea lice create an itchy red rash on areas of the body covered by a bathing suit. But, sea lice are really not lice at all. They are the larvae of the Thimble Jellyfish. The nearly microscopic larvae become trapped between the bathing suit fabric and the skin. The resulting friction activates the larvae’s stinging mechanism. The stinging mechanisms are called nematocysts, like those of a jellyfish.

Symptoms of Sea Lice (Jellyfish larvae )Stings
On first exposure, while still in the water, a bather may experience a tingling sensation on areas of the body covered by swimwear. Hairy underarms and hairy chests are also affected.

During the next few hours an itchy red rash develops. The itch can last for several weeks. The rash is the body's reaction to the jellyfish venom, or toxin injected by the nematocysts.

Some people may develop a fever or feel unwell and tired. Children are more likely to develop systemic effects like fever, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Treatment of Sea Lice (Jellyfish larvae) Stings
After showering, applying diluted vinegar or rubbing alcohol to the skin may help neutralize any remaining toxin from the stinging nematocysts. Hydrocortisone lotion or cream and antihistamines may also help.

Prevention of Sea Lice (Jellyfish larvae )Stings
  • The best prevention is to avoid going swimming along the lower southeast coast of Florida during the early summer months, particularly May and June.
  • Pay attention to signs posted on the lifeguard towers warning of sea lice in the water.
  • Wear as little clothing as possible while swimming in water that may have sea lice.
  • When swimming in water with sea lice jellyfish it is most important to remove the bathing suit as quickly as possible. As the fabric dries and the skin rubs against it, more stings will occur. Do not shower with the “contaminated” suit on. The fresh water will cause the nematocysts to sting even more.
  • Remove the suit and shower under forceful water to rinse off any larvae that may be clinging to the skin. Rinsing in salt water that is free of larvae is the best way to rinse, but it doesn't seem likely that such could be easily found.
  • The contaminated suit should be machine-washed in hot soapy water, and dried in a hot drier. A hand rinsed and air dried suit may still contain active larvae.
  • Different people are affected to different degrees. I went swimming off Miami Beach a few years ago with some friends during the last week in May. One of them developed a significant rash. I only had a few stings. Another friend had no effects at all. A person’s immune system seems to have an important role in the severity of the reaction an individual may experience.
I've never encountered sea lice on the Gulf coast, but that doesn't mean others haven't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter