2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

I keep forgetting...

For my fellow DISers who would like a little laugh, I recommend the book
Snodgrass Vacation by Dave Conifer. It's pretty much a direct parody of the most popular topics. (I should probably warn, that it may be offensive to some.)

The Kindle version is only 99 cents.

I keep forgetting...

For my fellow DISers who would like a little laugh, I recommend the book
Snodgrass Vacation by Dave Conifer. It's pretty much a direct parody of the most popular topics. (I should probably warn, that it may be offensive to some.)

The Kindle version is only 99 cents.

I second this. I read this twice, and it didn't give me a little laugh-itgave me a BIG laugh!

Haven't posted yet, but I have finished books #1 - Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - loved it! #2 -Invisible Monsters - yuk and #3- The Great Gatsby - loved it (actually I've read it before, but had to read a perfect classic to get the horribleness of Invisible Monsters out of my head :headache: I'm now on #4 - The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe.

Finished books 4 and 5... enjoyed them both!

#4 - Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Andersen

#5 Everyday by David Levithan

Both of them are young adult books...

I read Fever because my son is reading it for school, and I wanted to read it with him. It's a great book about the Yellow Fever epidemic that happened in Philadelphia.

And Everyday.... (from Amazon...) In his New York Times bestselling novel, David Levithan introduces readers to what Entertainment Weekly calls a "wise, wildly unique" love story about A, a teen who wakes up every morning in a different body, living a different life.

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

With his new novel, David Levithan, has pushed himself to new creative heights. He has written a captivating story that will fascinate readers as they begin to comprehend the complexities of life and love in A’s world, as A and Rhiannon seek to discover if you can truly love someone who is destined to change every day.

If you are up for young adult I would recommend go ask Alice I keep hearing how good it is not that I have read it yet

Thanks, I read that one in high school...pretty good, but depressing. I finished Sharp Objects and stated The Shoemaker's Wife. I guess that is number 8 for me.

Yay! I found the first book in the Chief Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny! It's called Still Life, and it introduces the reader to the residents of Three Pines, a little town in Quebec that is so small it's not even on any map. I'm going to read it as soon as I'm finished with the one I'm reading about the lives of Londoners in the lead up to and the first year or so of WWII.

I read two others in Penny's series (unfortunately out of order), and I bought two more, which I WILL read in order. I hope I'll then be caught up and have everything in this series straight in my mind.

Queen Colleen

Goal - 50 books

Book #14 - "Daddy's Girl" by Lisa Scottoline

This was a great murder mystery. Law professor, Nat, is invited to give a workshop at the prison. While there, a riot breaks out, and she stumbles upon a dying guard. He whispers in her ear "Tell my wife it's under the floor." This starts her upon a mystery where her life is on the line.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit! Not great literature, but it was a fun, quick read.

Next up: "Life is So Good" by Richard Glaubman. I'm also still plugging away at "Team of Rivals." I swear I'm going to finish that book!

bloody mary
Start with a tough but vulnerable Chicago cop. Add a hyperactive cat, an ailing mother, a jealous boyfriend, a high-maintenance ex-husband, and a partner in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

Stir in a psychopath littering the city with body parts. Mix with equal parts humor and suspense, and enjoy Bloody Mary--the second novel in the funny, frightening world of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels.

Join Jack as she struggles to repair her train wreck of a personal life while tracking down and convicting one of the scariest serial killers in recent memory--a killer for whom getting caught is only the beginning...

Was a good book, kept me guessing right up to the end, and darn it made me :rotfl: which was bad considering my freind was sleeping next to me

Book #12 To Those We Love Most by Lee Woodruff

Review: This book is very sad and deals with the themes of loss, forgiveness and resilience. The book centers on a family, Roger and Margaret and their daughter Maura. Maura is married to Pete and has three children. Everything seems relatively normal but for a brief moment, a horrible tragedy occurs that sends the family in turmoil. Maura's son James is killed in an accident and through this death, the cracks in the image of the perfect family begins to show. Not only does Maura have to deal with sadness, guilt and a secret but her husband's alcoholism. Margaret, the perfect wife and mother has been quietly putting up with her husband's infidelity while Roger is feeling out of place in the world he knows.

Now, the book seems dramatic but the fact is the family deals with their loss, grief and problems in quiet. There are no outbursts and overt drama but the 'To Those We Love Most' shows how in one second, things can change.

Would I recommend it...yes, but please be warned that this book is very sad and deals with topics like death and infidelity.

bloody mary
Start with a tough but vulnerable Chicago cop. Add a hyperactive cat, an ailing mother, a jealous boyfriend, a high-maintenance ex-husband, and a partner in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

Stir in a psychopath littering the city with body parts. Mix with equal parts humor and suspense, and enjoy Bloody Mary--the second novel in the funny, frightening world of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels.

Join Jack as she struggles to repair her train wreck of a personal life while tracking down and convicting one of the scariest serial killers in recent memory--a killer for whom getting caught is only the beginning...

Was a good book, kept me guessing right up to the end, and darn it made me :rotfl: which was bad considering my freind was sleeping next to me

The Jack Daniels series is very good!:thumbsup2

I'm in! I will try for 20 books this year.

My first book is The Night Circus. It just came in the mail yesterday. I ordered Ender's Game, and that should be here next week.

I have the following books on my list, and will regularly update based on recommendations from you guys.

11/22/63
Under the Dome
Rush Home Road
The Great Gatsby

Thank you!!! I am excited to join!!! It's really not that difficult. I am a total bibliophile and can always be found with 3 books on my person, not to mention my nook! (Add me as a friend if you wish MichellesCharmWorld [@] Gmail Dot Com. -No spaces).

I just flew through the 3 Shades of Grey Books in about 2 days because they were such fluffy reads. My verdict? Ehh... I don't think they lived up to the hype but once I read one, I knew I should read them all, so people cannot tell me that they got better! LOL!

I am currently reading THE CORE: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of a Classical Education. (We are new to the homeschooling world and I am trying to learn all I can!)

and Beachcombers (From Goodreads):

Beachcombers is an extraordinary novel that centers on the bittersweet reunion of three captivating, very different sisters on Nantucket over one gorgeous, exhilarating summer.

Abbie Fox hasn’t seen her father or two younger sisters in almost two years, during which she’s jetted around the world and experienced life, if not love. But now Lily, the baby of the family, is sending Abbie urgent emails begging her to return home to Nantucket. Their middle sister, Emma, has taken to her bed, emotionally devastated after the loss of her high-powered stockbroker’s job and a shockingly unexpected break-up with her fiancé. Also, Lily is deeply worried that Marina, the beautiful, enigmatic woman renting their guesthouse, has set her sights on the sisters’ widowed father, Jim. The Fox girls closed ranks years ago after the haunting, untimely death of their mother, but seeing their dad move on with his life forces each of them to take stock.

Over the course of the summer, the sisters’ lives grow as turbulent as the unpredictable currents encircling Nantucket. When Abbie encounters an incredibly appealing married man, she breaks her own rules in the name of love, fearing all the while that she’ll regret it. Meanwhile, type-A Emma learns a new definition of success, and strong-minded Lily must reconcile her dreams with reality. Even Marina, who has come to Nantucket to forget heartbreak and betrayal, faces an astonishing turn of events that will find her torn between fate and freedom. At summer’s end, these unforgettable women will face profound choices—and undergo personal transformations that will surprise even themselves

I was a homeschooler too! :) My boys are all grown now so no more teaching for me. I have 2 in college and one in high school. I homeschooled from kindergarten through 8th grade for each.

Fun times! I will always cherish those extra moments I had with my boys. :goodvibes

Back on topic, LOL... Beachcombers sounds like a great summer read! I think I'll add this one to my list!

I'm in! I will try for 20 books this year.

My first book is The Night Circus. It just came in the mail yesterday. I ordered Ender's Game, and that should be here next week.

I have the following books on my list, and will regularly update based on recommendations from you guys.

11/22/63
Under the Dome
Rush Home Road
The Great Gatsby

Welcome! pixiedust:

So glad you could join us! Happy Reading!!

Goal 40
Book 15 Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
This nonfiction work details a woman's hike from Southern California to Oregon on the Pacific Crest Trail. It is also about so much more - as she grieves her mother and her recent divorce and finds inner strength along the trail.

I am surprised how much I enjoyed this book as this is not one I would normally select to read (it was a selection from the book club I am in). I gave it 4 stars on goodreads.

Book 16 - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Really enjoyed this book - could not put it down - read it straight through in one day. I'm slightly embarrassed that I loved a book about a 17 year old girl falling in love - but I did. I gave it 5 stars on goodreads.

Book 17 Ghost Ala Mode by Sue ann Jaffarian
Woman starts seeing and hearing her great, great, great, great grandmother's ghost and they team up to solve the murder that the grandmother was accused of 100 years ago.

Sounds totally corny but it was a fun, light mystery read with a little bit of romance tossed in for good measure.

Next up for me is Grisham's The Litigators

Goal 100

#25 Late Night Shopping by Carmen Reid.

A bit ambivalent about this one. It's the second in a series and I didn't like the main character much at all in this one. I will read the next one because they are an easy read.

Now reading A Decline In Prophets by Sulari Gentil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter