2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Because the last two books were kind of "Eh", I chose "Confessions of a Shopaholic" to read next as #11. OMG-you can just say Sophie Kinsella's name and I start laughing. I love this, and all her books. The only problem is that at the rate I read, her books are a little pricey (I got a GC for Christmas, and the first thing I said is , "I'm buying some Sophie Kinsella books!") Any suggestions for authors who are as (or almost as) funny, but less expensive. I like Stephanie Bond a lot as a substitute, any others?

Simba's Mom said:
Because the last two books were kind of "Eh", I chose "Confessions of a Shopaholic" to read next as #11. OMG-you can just say Sophie Kinsella's name and I start laughing. I love this, and all her books. The only problem is that at the rate I read, her books are a little pricey (I got a GC for Christmas, and the first thing I said is , "I'm buying some Sophie Kinsella books!") Any suggestions for authors who are as (or almost as) funny, but less expensive. I like Stephanie Bond a lot as a substitute, any others?

Mary Kay Andrews... Start with Hissy Fit!

Goal: 52 books this year

#12 down and done.

Still Life by Louise Penny. Inspector Armand Gamache must solve the murder of a much-loved member of the Three Pines Community, a Canadian town so tiny it's not even on the map. Jean Neal, not even known to be an artist, was killed two days after her painting "Still Life" was accepted to be shown at the local annual arts festival. Was her death related to the painting, or was she killed because she planned a big party, inviting neighbors into her home for the first time since moving in many years ago?

This is the first if the series, and I couldn't put it down. I started reading it at about 8:30 last night and closed it at 2:00 this morning.

Queen Colleen

Finished book #7: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

This book was okay. The 2nd half was better reading. It's a fairy tale instead of his usual horror stories. Slow beginning, too much narration, predictable plot, so I give it a 3 out of 5.

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must do battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of Good to fight for what is rightfully his. This is a masterpiece of classic dragons-and-magic fantasy that only Stephen King could have written!

Next book: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

17 of 75

Private London by Jame Patterson & Mark Pearson

A girl and her mom are kidnapped on her 13th birthday and her father refuses to pay the ransom. So the mother is brutally raped and murdered in front of the child just before the girl is rescued. Later when she is in college in England she is kidnapped again! Is it connected or not?

This is a good quick read with lots of suspense and a few good twists.

Ooooo this sounds really good!!!

nemofans said:
Finished book #7: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

This book was okay. The 2nd half was better reading. It's a fairy tale instead of his usual horror stories. Slow beginning, too much narration, predictable plot, so I give it a 3 out of 5.

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must do battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of Good to fight for what is rightfully his. This is a masterpiece of classic dragons-and-magic fantasy that only Stephen King could have written!

Next book: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

I LOVED this book. I am a huge King fan but I wasn't sure about this one. I couldn't put it down. Same with his Dark Tower series. I got totally hooked on that entire series. I own all 7 books and after I am done my current book the next one will be the latest book in the series. I believe it's supposed to be book 5.5 as opposed to 8 LOL

threeboysmom said:
My thoughts exactly on Night Circus. I loved it while reading it, although it was quite strange, lol, but not something I'm going to rave about.

You HAVE to put Into the Darkest Corner on your phone list! I am currently reading it (100 pages to go). I'm in a quandry - I want to read slow because I don't want it to end, but yet I want to keep picking it up and reading every spare minute I have because I need to find out what happens!!

Read the review for it and it instantly went on the list! It sounds fantastic! Thanks : )

Can you also add me to the list :) didn't see this before....
i will think of what book I want to add since I read 3 to 5 books at a time :thumbsup2

"Got Disney" said:
Can you also add me to the list :) didn't see this before....
i will think of what book I want to add since I read 3 to 5 books at a time :thumbsup2

See, I can't do this. I am a one book at a time kinda gal. Do you ever get plots or characters confused?

See, I can't do this. I am a one book at a time kinda gal. Do you ever get plots or characters confused?

I like to read 3 at a time. In order to get 'into' the book I am reading at that moment, I have to read the page I am starting on 2 times and then before I know it my brain picks right up on the back of the story and I am immersed!

I have increased my book goal for 2013 from 40 to 75 (on goodreads). Could you please update my goal here as well?

I just completed book #19
Keeper of the Bride by Tess Gerritsen

Not sure what I plan to read next - I usually base it on what looks interesting that is available for download from my state library to my Kindle.

My thoughts exactly on Night Circus. I loved it while reading it, although it was quite strange, lol, but not something I'm going to rave about.

You HAVE to put Into the Darkest Corner on your phone list! I am currently reading it (100 pages to go). I'm in a quandry - I want to read slow because I don't want it to end, but yet I want to keep picking it up and reading every spare minute I have because I need to find out what happens!!

Read the review for it and it instantly went on the list! It sounds fantastic! Thanks : )

I added that book to my list too!

I'm currently reading Defending Jacob. Then next is Killing Lincoln (borrowed from DBF's Dad) and the Paris Wife (a gift from DBF's mom). So I'm actually going to hold to ACTUAL books in my hands. It's going to feel weird.

I also agree with the latest review of The Night Circus. I would love to have seen the images, although the reality probably wouldn't be as good as my imagination.

School is kicking my butt this semester. I'm really trying to squeeze in some pleasure reading. We're off to Deep Creek Lake this weekend and those are my quiet times and I enjoy reading up there. I hope to finish Defending Jacob and start Killing Lincoln this weekend. (Heck, I might even finish Defending Jacob tonight.)

Goal 30

Book 4

Confessions of a Prairie...., this book was written by Nellie! I really enjoyed it. Her life, like that of many child actors had some major horrors but she retells them and moves on with humor. The Little House info isinteresting and her life story is admirable.

Starting Safe Haven.

Debbie

I have increased my book goal for 2013 from 40 to 75 (on goodreads). Could you please update my goal here as well?

I just completed book #19
Keeper of the Bride by Tess Gerritsen

Not sure what I plan to read next - I usually base it on what looks interesting that is available for download from my state library to my Kindle.

So how was this book? I like her Rizzoli and Isles series.

Book 7 of 30: The Dinner by Herman Koch

It is about two couples who over dinner discuss what they should do about their sons who have been accused of murder.

Book # 13 An Suitable Bride by Jane Feather

Review: Because of Valentine's Day I jumped into another lurid romance novel. This book wasn't so bad. Basically the heroine, Alexandra Douglas is an intelligent woman who has basically been screwed out of her father's will and her distant cousin (the next male in the line) has got everything, her dad's land, home and money but the 10,000 that rightfully belonged to Alexandra and her invalid sister was never give because legally her cousin was not obligated to do it (but honestly,it would have been the right thing to do). Alexandra disguises herself as a dowdy librarian for her cousin's estate and is trying to get some money for her sister and herself.

Peregrine (that name!!!) Sullivan is the hero and he is curious about the librarian and soon he discovers her secret. Of course he is in love with her because this is a romance novel and he wants to help her. It is a pretty good story with tons of intrigue and romance.

There is one thing that just ticks me off. So, basically Alexandra's father, Arthur had been left by their mother. He divorced her and through a legal loophole he had his daughters declared as illegitimate. This means that whatever money he had set aside for his daughters legally doesn't have to be given to them. He wanted them taken cared for so he set aside 10,000 for his daughters to inherit but died before this could be legal. He had remarried after the divorce but had no children with his second wife. It is easy to blame the selfish and greedy cousin for Alexandra's problems.

However, although the right thing for the cousin to do was to give the intended 10,000 he was not legally obligated to do so. I am not mad at the cousin but at Arthur. I mean, its bad enough he had his daughters declared as *******s which could bar them from good marriages (the book is set in the 1700s) but he basically gave NOTHING to his daughters and didn't even care about their well-being. I mean even Onyx "Spread the Love" Jewel cared for his daughters, married to their mothers or not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter