2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

#7 out of 30:

Fluke: or Now I know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore.

Why oh why did I read this? LOL! This is when I wish I had the ability that some of you have when it comes to quitting a book. I don't know if it's stubborness or OCD or what, but I cannot just stop reading a book no matter how silly or lousy it gets. And this one was just downright silly. I kept reading thinking it would get better... that there would be a good explanation at the end, grrrr...

The premise of the book sounded intriguing. It's about a marine biologist that studies the songs of whales in order to determine WHY whales sing. He then sees the words "bite me" on one of his tagged whales, but no one else sees it, and it doesn't show up on his film. This part had me intrigued... but it quickly went downhill from there. I'm still wondering what the heck happened with this story, lol.

It's a light read, funny & quirky.... but the author was just not for me.

Next up: Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

I'm excited to read this, but apprehensive. I don't do well with intensity or suspense, but it just sounds so good, I can't resist, lol.

Book 1 of 25:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Summary from Goodreads:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.

I really thought I would like this book, but it really fell short of my expectations and it was, well...peculiar! Lol. Would I recommend it? Eh~:flower3:

Book 2 of 25:
The Testament by John Grisham

Summary from Goodreads:
In a plush Virginia office, a rich, angry old man is furiously rewriting his will. With his death just hours away, Troy Phelan wants to send a message to his children, his ex-wives, and his minions, a message that will touch off a vicious legal battle and transform dozens of lives.

Because Troy Phelan's new will names a sole surprise heir to his elevan-billion-dollar fortune: a mysterious woman named Rachel Lane, a missionary living deep in the jungles of Brazil.

Enter the lawyers. Nate O'Riley is fresh out of rehab, a disgraces corporate attorney handpicked for his last job: to Rachel Lane at any cost. As Phelan's family circles like vultures in D.C., Nate is crashing through Brazilian jungle, entering a world where money means nothing, where death is just one misstep away, and where a woman-- pursued by enemies and friends alike-- holds a stunning surprise of her own....

This is an older John Grisham book, and classic JG writing. Fast paced, page turner. I really enjoyed it, legal thriller combined with adventure. If you like JG/type books, I definitely recommend it!

#7 out of 30:

Why oh why did I read this? LOL! This is when I wish I had the ability that some of you have when it comes to quitting a book. I don't know if it's stubborness or OCD or what, but I cannot just stop reading a book no matter how silly or lousy it gets. And this one was just downright silly. I kept reading thinking it would get better... that there would be a good explanation at the end, grrrr...

The premise of the book sounded intriguing. It's about a marine biologist that studies the songs of whales in order to determine WHY whales sing. He then sees the words "bite me" on one of his tagged whales, but no one else sees it, and it doesn't show up on his film. This part had me intrigued... but it quickly went downhill from there. I'm still wondering what the heck happened with this story, lol.

I'm excited to read this, but apprehensive. I don't do well with intensity or suspense, but it just sounds so good, I can't resist, lol.

Well then I won't waste my time! It was the daily cheap book on either B&N or Amazon, so I bought it. I'll give it a pass.

I've finished 9, 10, 11 with the first three in Jean Auel's series: Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses and The Mammoth Hunters.

I'm onto "A Big Little Life" by Dean Koontz.

Book 3 of 25:
Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen, an Oprah's Book Club Book

Summary from Goodreads:
With daring and compassion, Anna Quindlen weaves a forceful, harrowing portrait of a woman and a marriage, capturing the profound intricacies of love and rage, passion and violence. At once heartbreaking and utterly riveting, BLACK AND BLUE is an extraordinary work of fiction and a brilliant achievement.

For eighteen years, Fran Benedetto kept her secret, hid her bruises, and stayed with Bobby because she wanted her son to have a father and because, in spite of everything, she loved him. Then one night, when she saw the look on her ten-year-old son's face, Fran finally made a choice--and ran for both their lives.

With the repackaging of BLACK AND BLUE and One True Thing, Anna Quindlen takes her place alongside Dell's Alice McDermott and Rosellen Brown bringing their beloved, acclaimed contemporary classics to a whole new audience of trade paperback readers in Delta editions.

I found this in a bag of books my mother-in-law passed on to me. I don't think I would have otherwise chosen this book at the library or off a bookshelf. However, it was a quick and intense read. Sad. Not my type of book, so hard to recommend, but if you like that type of genre, I'd say it's worth a quick read.

subbing (better late than never). I finished my last book, and couldn't find this thread for suggestions!

I just finished Breaking Night: Homeless to Harvard, by Liz Murray. Great book, well written, very inspirational. It reads more like a novel than nonfiction. I would highly recommend it!

I don't have a reading goal. I read a LOT, always have an audio book (for my commute) and a print book going. Have finished 6 books since the beginning of the year.

Now I will go through this thread to find something new to read. :)

Book #11 Malachite by Ruth Langan

You thought the zany adventures of the Jewel family were over? You were wrong!
Malachite Jewel is the son that Onyx never knew existed. He has lived in a self-imposed exile from his Native American tribe after his mother refused to give him his own dad's name. When he gets word his mother is dying, he rushes to Evening Star's side to not only plead her forgiveness but to know his dad's name. After her death, he goes to find Onyx Jewel and basically rip into him for not only abandoning his mother but for the pain he had felt for not belonging anywhere. However, by the time Malachite arrives to Hanging Tree...Onyx has not only been dead for a year but he discovers he has three sisters.

Onyx finds love with a young widow named Millie. She is a hard-working woman who not only lends her home out as a boarding house and restaurant but also makes food for Hanging Tree's jail and trades milk and eggs in for credit. After the death of her young husband five years before, Millie is on her own with raising her three daughters. Onyx arriving is a great help as he had paid in advance for a month, providing money she desperately needed, but he helps out around the house. The romantic tension is apparent in the beginning and the love scenes are very sweet.

Not only does the book cover Malachite's anger towards his dad and his love towards Millie, the book is unique in the fact that it shows a somewhat realistic look at the term of a stepfather. Millie's daughters, May and June have not had a father figure and so they admire Malachite but the oldest, April (theme names but have been IN at Hanging Tree) is uneasy about him however he doesn't push her to like him. April seems to love him on her own time when Malachite makes it clear that he understands her feelings.

Now, Malachite has anger towards his dad but he realizes the truth. Evening Star was Onyx's first love and their relationship is complicated because Onyx did want her to marry him and move with him to Texas but Evening Star did not wish to go for valid reasons. It takes that knowledge that Onyx did look for her afterwards for him to forgive his dad.
Would I suggest it? Sure, but it is best to read the series beforehand to get a handle on the story of Onyx and his daughters.

Book 1 of 25:

Summary from Goodreads:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and

I really thought I would like this book, but it really fell short of my expectations and it was, well...peculiar! Lol. Would I recommend it? Eh~:flower3:

I really loved the first half of this book.
Second half was kind of a let down.

Book 8 of 100

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (book 2 of The Luner Chronicles)

This book picks up where book 1 ends and follows Cinder as she is a fugitive. She has picked up a sidekick name Thorne who has a stolen spaceship to get them away from the law.

This book also introduces us to Scarlet, who is looking for her Grandmother who has been missing for weeks. She meets Wolf, whom she is not sure she trusts, but follows him to the "gang" that has taken the Grandmother whom she thought had no secrets from her.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as book one. To me, this one felt like it was adding characters to the story and building background for the overall storyline. Kind of a journey that needed to be taken, but not any big plot twists or turns. Cinder does learn more of her back story and seems to be building her support system as she gears up to take her rightful place as the lost Princess Selene, standing up to her Aunt Queen Levana who tried to kill her when she was 3 so that she could take the Throne.

#7 out of 30:

It's hard for me to quit on a book too. But I'm learning. Have two that I am returning to the library today that I just couldn't get into. 'Mrs Dalloway' & 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette'
I'm more into the suspense so Into the Darkest Corner may be something I would like.

Book 1 of 25:

Summary from Goodreads:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.

I agree. Parts of the book was interesting but somehow it just didn't 'come together'

Finished book 4 of 24 - I'm ahead of schedule! :thumbsup2

Along Came a Duke by Elizabeth Boyle - it's part 1 in the Rhymes With Love Series.

It was a pure-fluff read. Cute story, easy to follow. Not too smutty/drivelly. I may read the 2nd one when it comes out. We'll see...

Here's the overview from B&N:

“A young lady with a fortune is subject to all sorts of untoward attentions by the worst sort of vagrants.” Aunt Allegra

A lesson Tabitha Timmons, a penniless spinster, has never needed to heed. That is, until she is left a vast fortune payable only upon her marriage to the very respectable Mr. Barkworth—a match that offers little chance of discovering exactly what her aunt means by "untoward attentions."

But the same can't be said when the Duke of Preston happens along Tabitha's path. He spies a rebellious streak in her that matches his own and he makes it his mission to save her from such a passionless match, interfering in her life at every turn. All too soon, Preston—whose very name spells ruin—has Tabitha caught between the good fortune that guarantees her security, and his kiss, which promises an entirely different kind of happily-ever-after.

Now to figure out book #5!

Kristen

#5 - The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

This was recommended by someone on this thread. I really liked it although I thought the last 1/4 of the book was a little too "tidy" to be believed.

It is historical fiction mostly set in the 1920's. The main character, Cora, is hired to chaperone Louise Brooks to NYC when Louise is 15. I had never heard of Louise Brooks but knew her immediately when I looked at real pictures of her. She was a silent film star. Cora volunteers for the job to learn more about her past, but it is her future that is changed after the trip.

I am now starting Les Mis because it has been on my bucket list. I'll take a break from it when the library has Defending Jacob for me.

Book 4 of 25
Double Cross (Alex Cross#13) by James Patterson

From Goodreads:
Just when Alex thought his life was calming down into a routine of patients and therapy sessions, he finds himself back in the game--this time to catch a criminal mastermind like no other.

A spate of elaborate murders in Washington, D.C. have the whole East Coast on edge. They are like nothing Alex Cross and his new girlfriend, Detective Brianna Stone, have ever seen. With each murder, the case becomes increasingly complex. There's only one thing Alex knows: the killer adores an audience.

As victims are made into gruesome spectacles citywide, inducing a media hysteria, it becomes clear to Alex that the man he's after is a genius of terror--and he's after fame. The killer has the whole city by its strings--and he'll stop at nothing to become the most terrifying star that Washington ,D.C. has ever seen.

I have not read any of the previous Alex Cross series. I had the book passed on to me, and gave it a try. Very quick reading, was good enough to hold my attention. I probably won't go back and read the previous books in the series but would read going forward.

Book 5 out of 25:
Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum #13) by Janet Evanovich

From Goodreads:
New secrets, old flames, and hidden agendas are about to send bounty hunter Stephanie Plum on her most outrageous adventure yet!

MISTAKE #1

Dickie Orr. Stephanie was married to him for about fifteen minutes before she caught him cheating on her with her arch-nemesis Joyce Barnhardt. Another fifteen minutes after that Stephanie filed for divorce, hoping to never see either one of them again.

MISTAKE #2

Doing favors for super bounty hunter Carlos Manoso (a.k.a. Ranger). Ranger needs her to meet with Dickie and find out if he's doing something shady. Turns out, he is. Turns out, he's also back to doing Joyce Barnhardt. And it turns out Ranger's favors always come with a price...

MISTAKE #3

Going completely nutso while doing the favor for Ranger, and trying to apply bodily injury to Dickie in front of the entire office. Now Dickie has disappeared and Stephanie is the natural suspect in his disappearance. Is Dickie dead? Can he be found? And can Stephanie Plum stay one step ahead in this new, dangerous game? Joe Morelli, the hottest cop in Trenton, NJ is also keeping Stephanie on her toes-and he may know more than he's saying about many things in Stephanie's life. It's a cat-and-mouse game for Stephanie Plum, where the ultimate prize might be her life.

With Janet Evanovich's flair for hilarious situations, breathtaking action, and unforgettable characters, LEAN MEAN THIRTEEN shows why no one can beat Evanovich for blockbuster entertainment.

I love this series, it's corny, ridiculous, and funny. Probably because I grew up in New Jersey and so get the culture and cast of characters, true to the "burg" culture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter