2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Book 6 out of 25:
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

From Goodreads:
Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family apple orchard: the other followed a dream and traveled the world to become a famous photojournalist. But when their beloved father falls ill, Meredith and Nina find themselves together again, standing alongside their cold, disapproving mother, Anya, who even now, offers no comfort to her daughters. As children, the only connection between them was the Russian fairy tale Anya sometimes told the girls at night. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise from the women in his life: the fairy tale will be told one last time - and all the way to the end. Thus begins an unexpected journey into the truth of Anya's life in war-torn Leningrad, more than five decades ago. Alternating between the past and present, Meredith and Nina will finally hear the singular, harrowing story of their mother's life, and what they learn is a secret so terrible and terrifying that it will shake the very foundation of their family and change who they believe they are.

I loved this book! It was sad and touching. I loved the way the "fairy tale" was woven into the story. I loved the Russian history aspect of the story as well. A definite thumbs up!

Is it too late to join? I understand if it is! My goal this year is 250 books. I was ONE BOOK SHY OF THIS GOAL LAST YEAR!!! It drove me bananas, so I knew I had to try it again. I keep track on GOODREADS:
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/940-2013-reading-challenge
I like it because it allows me to see if I am behind or ahead of my goal. It also tracks the books that I have read, reviews I have given and the like. You can input the day you finished reading it, but I usually don't go the site daily, so I just keep the stack on my desk and input them all at one time.

Goal 72

#13 Son by Lois Lowry

Last book of the Giver quartet. These are great books! So sad to have finished the series, lol. Well, on to something else....

Book 6 out of 25:

From Goodreads:
Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family apple orchard: the other followed a dream and traveled the world to become a famous photojournalist. But when their beloved father falls ill, Meredith and Nina find themselves together again, standing alongside their cold, disapproving mother, Anya, who even now, offers no comfort to her daughters. As children, the only connection between them was the Russian fairy tale Anya sometimes told the girls at night. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise from the women in his life: the fairy tale will be told one last time - and all the way to the end. Thus begins an unexpected journey into the truth of Anya's life in war-torn Leningrad, more than five decades ago. Alternating between the past and present, Meredith and Nina will finally hear the singular, harrowing story of their mother's life, and what they learn is a secret so terrible and terrifying that it will shake the very foundation of their family and change who they believe they are.

I loved this book! It was sad and touhing. I loved the way the "fairy tale" was woven into the story. I loved the Russian history aspect of the story as well. A definite thumbs up!

I read this book a few years ago and also LOVED it. It was my first Kristen Hannah book. I enjoyed it so much I went on to read all of her other books but, personally, I thought this one was her best.

It's hard for me to quit on a book too. But I'm learning. Have two that I am returning to the library today that I just couldn't get into. 'Mrs Dalloway' & 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette'
I'm more into the suspense so Into the Darkest Corner may be something I would like.

LOL, I have the Bernadette book on hold at the library (been on hold forever it seems). I'm interested to find out what I think... and whether I can quit or not, lol.

Book 6 out of 25:

From Goodreads:

I loved this book! It was sad and touhing. I loved the way the "fairy tale" was woven into the story. I loved the Russian history aspect of the story as well. A definite thumbs up!

I agree! I loved this book! It was my first experience with Kristin Hannah. I then went on to read Firefly Lane (I think that's what it was called...) which I thoroughly enjoyed as well.

Is it too late to join? I understand if it is! My goal this year is 250 books. I was ONE BOOK SHY OF THIS GOAL LAST YEAR!!! It drove me bananas, so I knew I had to try it again. I keep track on GOODREADS:
I like it because it allows me to see if I am behind or ahead of my goal. It also tracks the books that I have read, reviews I have given and the like. You can input the day you finished reading it, but I usually don't go the site daily, so I just keep the stack on my desk and input them all at one time.

Welcome!! pixiedust: I must say I'm totally speechless at your book goal! Really?? I actually gasped OUT LOUD when I read your post, lol.

I'm jealous and in awe of you! :)

Reading Into the Darkest Corner right now, and all I can say is wow. I am HOOKED.

It's dark, twisted, and gives off a Gone Girl-ish vibe to me, lol.

Sure hope the ending doesn't disappoint. It has soooo much potential.

If anyone is looking for a book to read next, maybe give this a try.

Welcome!! pixiedust: I must say I'm totally speechless at your book goal! Really?? I actually gasped OUT LOUD when I read your post, lol.

I'm jealous and in awe of you! :)

Thank you!!! I am excited to join!!! It's really not that difficult. I am a total bibliophile and can always be found with 3 books on my person, not to mention my nook! (Add me as a friend if you wish MichellesCharmWorld [@] Gmail Dot Com. -No spaces).

I just flew through the 3 Shades of Grey Books in about 2 days because they were such fluffy reads. My verdict? Ehh... I don't think they lived up to the hype but once I read one, I knew I should read them all, so people cannot tell me that they got better! LOL!

I am currently reading THE CORE: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of a Classical Education. (We are new to the homeschooling world and I am trying to learn all I can!)

and Beachcombers (From Goodreads):

Beachcombers is an extraordinary novel that centers on the bittersweet reunion of three captivating, very different sisters on Nantucket over one gorgeous, exhilarating summer.

Abbie Fox hasn’t seen her father or two younger sisters in almost two years, during which she’s jetted around the world and experienced life, if not love. But now Lily, the baby of the family, is sending Abbie urgent emails begging her to return home to Nantucket. Their middle sister, Emma, has taken to her bed, emotionally devastated after the loss of her high-powered stockbroker’s job and a shockingly unexpected break-up with her fiancé. Also, Lily is deeply worried that Marina, the beautiful, enigmatic woman renting their guesthouse, has set her sights on the sisters’ widowed father, Jim. The Fox girls closed ranks years ago after the haunting, untimely death of their mother, but seeing their dad move on with his life forces each of them to take stock.

Over the course of the summer, the sisters’ lives grow as turbulent as the unpredictable currents encircling Nantucket. When Abbie encounters an incredibly appealing married man, she breaks her own rules in the name of love, fearing all the while that she’ll regret it. Meanwhile, type-A Emma learns a new definition of success, and strong-minded Lily must reconcile her dreams with reality. Even Marina, who has come to Nantucket to forget heartbreak and betrayal, faces an astonishing turn of events that will find her torn between fate and freedom. At summer’s end, these unforgettable women will face profound choices—and undergo personal transformations that will surprise even themselves

Just finished Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton.

From Amazon:
Kinsey and Me has two parts: The nine Kinsey stories (1986-93), each a gem of detection; and the And Me stories, written in the decade after Grafton's mother died. Together, they show just how much of Kinsey is a distillation of her creator’s past even as they reveal a child who, free of parental interventions, read everything and roamed everywhere. But the dark side of such freedom was that very parental distance.

The same unique voice and witty insights readers fell in love with in A Is for Alibi permeate the Kinsey stories. Those in the And Me section trace a remarkable voyage, from anger to understanding, from pain to forgiveness. They take us into a troubled family, dysfunctional as most families are, each in their own way, but Grafton’s telling is sensitive, delicate, and ultimately, loving. Enriching the way we see Kinsey and know Sue, these stories are deeply affecting.

I give it five stars! I have been a fan of the Kinsey books for years. This is series of previously published Kinsey short stories in the first half, and stories Sue Grafton wrote in the years after the death of her mother as a way to deal with it. She also explains a bit about how she came to love the genre.

Next up: The Passage by Justin Cronin

Goal 100 books

#23 Rosie Meadow Regrets by Catherine Alliot-chick lit. Made me laugh in a few place but overall not my favourite of her

#24 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn-I don't know if I missed something about this book but I didn't love it. I loathed the characters in it. And I was waiting for some big twist and it didn't happen.

Just finished Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton.

From Amazon:
Kinsey and Me has two parts: The nine Kinsey stories (1986-93), each a gem of detection; and the And Me stories, written in the decade after Grafton's mother died. Together, they show just how much of Kinsey is a distillation of her creators past even as they reveal a child who, free of parental interventions, read everything and roamed everywhere. But the dark side of such freedom was that very parental distance.

The same unique voice and witty insights readers fell in love with in A Is for Alibi permeate the Kinsey stories. Those in the And Me section trace a remarkable voyage, from anger to understanding, from pain to forgiveness. They take us into a troubled family, dysfunctional as most families are, each in their own way, but Graftons telling is sensitive, delicate, and ultimately, loving. Enriching the way we see Kinsey and know Sue, these stories are deeply affecting.

I give it five stars! I have been a fan of the Kinsey books for years. This is series of previously published Kinsey short stories in the first half, and stories Sue Grafton wrote in the years after the death of her mother as a way to deal with it. She also explains a bit about how she came to love the genre.

Next up: The Passage by Justin Cronin

Being a big fan of Sue Grafton's series, I really looked forward to Kinsey & Me. I enjoyed the Kinsey stories -- it was fun to read them, knowing the character, but the "and me" stories really threw me. I didn't finish those -- I found them so depressing that it felt like I was slogging through them.

The Passage -- excellent! High up on my list of faves. The Twelve, which is the second book in this series, was also good, but really different. I hope you enjoy it!

I'm on #14 - keeping track in my original post, #188 on p. 13.

Being a big fan of Sue Grafton's series, I really looked forward to Kinsey & Me. I enjoyed the Kinsey stories -- it was fun to read them, knowing the character, but the "and me" stories really threw me. I didn't finish those -- I found them so depressing that it felt like I was slogging through them.

The Passage -- excellent! High up on my list of faves. The Twelve, which is the second book in this series, was also good, but really different. I hope you enjoy it!

I'm on #14 - keeping track in my original post, #188 on p. 13.

I like this...having a whole list you can peruse in one place. I think I am going to do that too if I find a little time.

Awesome goal!

Reading Into the Darkest Corner right now, and all I can say is wow. I am HOOKED.

It's dark, twisted, and gives off a Gone Girl-ish vibe to me, lol.

Sure hope the ending doesn't disappoint. It has soooo much potential.

If anyone is looking for a book to read next, maybe give this a try.

I just finished this book about 30 minutes ago! I have been reading pretty much all day. I could not put it down. Wow, what a suspenseful read! That was book number 12 for me for the year.

Next Up: A Thousand Splendid Suns

I am reading trip reports and other threads when I should be reading my book almost done but it is so depressing and addicting at the same time. The book not the threads

16 of 75

The Concrete blond by Michael Connelly

From Goodreads: In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

#3 of the Harry Bosch series. I am eventually going to read all of the series. I picked this on up to get background on some stuff that was in #4. The book was typical of the series and a had a couple of good twists.

16 of 75

From Goodreads: In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

#3 of the Harry Bosch series. I am eventually going to read all of the series. I picked this on up to get background on some stuff that was in #4. The book was typical of the series and a had a couple of good twists.
It was a good book!!! I read it a few years back

Dead case in deadwood
was a good read, made me wanna read the rest. Not for the faint of heart!

Started and finished this one today. I really enjoyed this page turner. It is free on Amazon right now for Kindle.

Ring of Lies by Victoria Howard

When English accountant Daniel Elliott dies in a car accident one rainy night, his widow, Grace, is overcome with grief...and panic. Daniel was controlling and their marriage loveless, but he always took care of the sheltered Grace.

Or so she thought.

She soon discovers Daniel kept secrets: an alias, mob ties, a list of numbers, a mysterious beach house in Florida....and a girlfriend who looks like Grace.

Swallowing her fear, she flies to Miami to claim the house Daniel left her. But the price of her curiosity is peril. Underworld figures stalk her. The other woman has left a damning trail of evidence pointing her way. And handsome, troubled FBI agent Jack West has crossed precarious paths with Grace before. He could be her savior or her damnation. All she knows for certain is that she longs to be in his arms.

With little to go on and danger at every turn, Grace must depend on Jack to help her navigate the criminal world of south Florida, and find the truth behind the Ring of Lies.

16 of 75

All his books are good. His best is The Poet.

Goal 30
Book #9 Party Crashers by Stephanie Bond

Fun, light romantic mystery. I liked the characters, and the way she wove them all together.

I got behind in my reading!

#4 or 30

The Paris Wife

A deeply evocative story of ambition and betrayal, The Paris Wife captures a remarkable period of time and a love affair between two unforgettable people: Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley.

Chicago, 1920: Hadley Richardson is a quiet twenty-eight-year-old who has all but given up on love and happiness—until she meets Ernest Hemingway and her life changes forever. Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for Paris, where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group—the fabled “Lost Generation”—that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.

Though deeply in love, the Hemingways are ill-prepared for the hard-drinking and fast-living life of Jazz Age Paris, which hardly values traditional notions of family and monogamy. Surrounded by beautiful women and competing egos, Ernest struggles to find the voice that will earn him a place in history, pouring all the richness and intensity of his life with Hadley and their circle of friends into the novel that will become The Sun Also Rises. Hadley, meanwhile, strives to hold on to her sense of self as the demands of life with Ernest grow costly and her roles as wife, friend, and muse become more challenging. Despite their extraordinary bond, they eventually find themselves facing the ultimate crisis of their marriage—a deception that will lead to the unraveling of everything they’ve fought so hard for.

A heartbreaking portrayal of love and torn loyalty, The Paris Wife is all the more poignant because we know that, in the end, Hemingway wrote that he would rather have died than fallen in love with anyone but Hadley.

I liked it. It started off strong, then there was a bit about 3/4 in that lagged, and then finished well. I did develop an appreciation for Hemingway, and I have always been a fan of the "Lost Generation" so this was enjoyable. Makes me want to go back and read some of the literature from this time period.

Next up: Reached by Ally Condie. I read the first two books in this series and am looking forward to finishing it up. Here's hoping I can remember the first two stories though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter